New budget PC for 3d editing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-19-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi guys, guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get a new PC. After trying for about two months with my core 2 duo I'm still getting nowhere with 3D from my Sony TD30. Powerdirector just freezes at about 20% rendering with task manager at 0% cpu use and no error message. Rendering the same timeline at 2d is no problem. I know I need about 16gb ram and 64bit Win 7 and a couple of hard drives but what Cpu and cheap graphics card do you recommend?

I'm not looking for blistering speed rendering - I just want something that can render to 3d even if it takes a couple of days. I have two other PC's so it can take ages. Really just looking for the cheapest barebones system to do the job. Any ideas. ;0)

I know most 3d editors are using pretty state of the art gear but it would be great if you all could help me out. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-22-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 139
You'll want a PC with a Core i7, 16GB RAM and an SSD for the video files. There are good deals now from Tiger Direct and Newegg on 512GB SSD's (about $300). A middle of the road nVidia card will help with rendering. Lots of choices out there for such a system that won't cost an arm and a leg. Hard to know what to recommend without an idea of your budget.
guitarman512 likes this.

Joe Clark

post #3 of 6 Old 11-24-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Joe - I'm looking at pos. £600 - £800 budget. Is it necassary to get a ssd? I was hopeing a couple of 7200 hard drives would do the job. As I'm not going to be using this pc all the time it can render away for days if required, Just want something that is able to burn to Blu-ray in MVC even if its just 720 50p. If its best to fit a ssd I take it should have the operating system and editing software on it or should it be just for the raw files?
post #4 of 6 Old 11-24-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Sure, a couple of hard drives would work. An SSD would help smooth playback, but it's not essential. I use SSD's for system and project files and have for a long time now, so I can't tell you how much things will slow down with just hard drives. I'd put a couple of 7200rpm drives in RAID0 for project files.

Joe Clark

post #5 of 6 Old 11-25-2013, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Typically, you will use the ssd for the system partition - where you have windows but also the programm files. For our MVC/AVCHD files a fast harddrive is enough. Sure, if you can spend the money and use a raid-system or ssd for the videofiles too it will be better. But it is not required as long as you use our AVCHD consumer codecs.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #6 of 6 Old 01-02-2014, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys guys, I went and got a new PC i7 4770,win8 64 bit, 16gb, geforce 660, 2TB and a 500 gb drives. grabbed an hours worth of 3d files, done a few transitions and made a half sbs 1080p file for my WDTV player and it works!!! next time I'll edit something and try a Blu-ray disc at 720 50p. I may even try a 1080 24p to see if its really bad with the judder converting from PAL.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page