Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 01-07-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Nothing so far from the major players. Everything this year is promoting 4K 2D camcorders.

Sony said they are continuing to manufacturer the TD 30 but their sales push will be to move the line of 4K camcorders for 2014.
post #3 of 45 Old 01-07-2014, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
We will not see new s3D cameras in the foreseeable future - to my opinion. The s3D camera business has shown limited sales figures both in terms of number of units sold, but also in revenues. According to rumors JVC has stopped the TD1 production at all - Panasonic still sells the Z10K but the more consumer oriented cameras with the 3D-lens has not ben relevant really. Sony has decreased the IO from the TD10 to the TD20 and again from the TD20 to the TD30 - and that is the actual situation.

Given the strong canibalisation that the industry sees in the range below $500/Euro 500 for cameras from all kind of smartphones, we can be happy if some of the market players can survive in the business at all. Writting red figures in a business unit is not the best situation to stay in this business.

That does not mean that s3D is dead - not as long as we see more and more movies arriving in s3D. But the cheap consumer line seems to decline.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #4 of 45 Old 01-08-2014, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The next 3d camcorder will be 4k, and I think it will be at least a few years before we see that. First, we have to wait for 4k to accepted, then someone will slap the inners of a 4k cam into one 3d cam and sell it for double.I don't see the 4k camcorders taking off any better than the 3d cams of the past.
I am still a bit surprised that 3d point and shoots (like the wonderful panny 3d1) are dead in the states and no one one is selling a U.S. model that can do video/still 3d.
Of course, things could speed up if the upcoming crop of glasses-free 3d sets become popular.
post #5 of 45 Old 01-08-2014, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I read that Vizio is not making any more 3D TVs this year, just selling inventory. If that trend continues, 3D will only be a very small niche market in the future.
post #6 of 45 Old 01-08-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

We learn lots by attending CES and NAB.

The deal with Vizio is a follow the trend, not to be a trend setter. They will offer 3D when the demand is there. Vizio is all about low cost and most bang for the buck, sacrificing quality wherever it may not be noticed.

I usually attend both NAB and CES and there continues to be a large offering of 3D systems for professional production. The difference is that the consumer market, loves to watch 3D movies but is not interested in shooting video for 3D. Instead, the consumer is far more interested in what they can post quickly to Facebook. One level up from consumer is the wedding and event professional. Notice that editing and photo retouch software is not shown at CES either. These are not popular among consumers. Even 2D camcorders are few at CES and said to be a dying activity since palmcorders are of more interest to consumers. DSLR cameras are still very popular as consumers are in 3 camps here. They either shoot and post to Facebook from their phones, shoot and dump to computer with point and shoot, or become a serious hobbyest with a full DSLR? 3D just doesn't fit. The consumer is just not sophisticated enough to understand 3D. Now at NAB we'll see more 3D in the systems to mount dual single cameras, than 3D camcorders.
post #7 of 45 Old 01-08-2014, 07:23 PM

Here's a depressing article about 3d at the CES show. Some points I agree with, some I don't. I do think that they most people don't want to deal with the complexity of 3d.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/ces-2014-is-turning-into-a-funeral-for-3d
I mean, for my dlp set, I had to get a 3d kit, set up an emitter, some other box, then the glasses, and to watch a 3d movie, have to scroll through a couple of menus to toggle the setting to activate the 3d. And, even though I have all this 3d stuff going, I occassionally get a br that won't play , get a message that my equipment is not 3d compatible and then I have to trick the player into thinking it is.
Of course, there are other depressing issues, like no more 3d espn, and a 3d channel on Directtv that is really like a sales loop.
So, it is no wonder that joe sixpack doesn't want anything to do with 3d; he just wants to sit down, turn on one flip'in switch and watch.
Although the number of people who shoot 3d is small, I don't think it is going away. I think the prices for used US spec panny 3d1 cameras are holding pretty firm, that's pretty telling. I occassionally send my 3d prints to Snapily.com and my coworkers are pretty impressed with those lenticular prints of me and my family.
I think I can draw an analogy to stereo equipment- I like to listen to vinyl played through two 9' electrostatic speakers. I know a lot of people content to just listen to music off their ipod. The same applies to 3d. People rather make a video with their cell phone than with a 3d cam (or any camcorder).
Until people see how wonderful 3d is, the products will be far and few.
Oh, and about Vizio walking away from 3d? I have always thought that Vizio made crappy tv's, stuff that would serve as door busters on black friday.
post #8 of 45 Old 01-09-2014, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post

I occassionally send my 3d prints to Snapily.com and my coworkers are pretty impressed with those lenticular prints of me and my family.

Thanks for the heads up on Snapily.com 3D prints. Wish they were bigger, though.
post #9 of 45 Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Do you remember Viewmaster with the circular 3D slide shows? Must be a resurgence of this now as I learn from my grand kids who have them. Daughter tells me they are becoming popular. She thought they were something new until I told her I had them 60 years ago. 3D is here to stay. smile.gif
post #10 of 45 Old 01-10-2014, 06:52 AM

I was at the Clark museaum about a year ago in Eureka, CA and they had a handheld stereo scope thingy from the early 1900's that you can could hold and view b&w 3d pics from the 1920's . I saw nice pics, even one of San Francisco, don't remember if it was before or after the quake. I guess this makes the Viewmaster stuff look like Johnny come lately stuff
post #11 of 45 Old 01-10-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

I have some Viewmaster reels from the 1950's of Gene Autry and the Cisco Kid. They still look great. I also had a Viewmaster camera about 15 years ago and took about 5 reels worth, but the quality was very grainy. I read that the Viewmaster commercial reel originals were made with a pro-35mm stereo camera and reduced to reel size thus maintaining a higher level of detail and less grain. Today, I use the Panasonic 3D1 for all my 3D images. Here's my next purchase, and there is also a viewer available. For the price, why not. http://www.holgacamera.com/holga-iphone-case-with-3d-lens-set/
post #12 of 45 Old 01-10-2014, 12:23 PM

That looks pretty nifty, you'll have to report back on how well it works. For the rest of us who have a 3d1, we will be using those for a long time...
post #13 of 45 Old 01-10-2014, 12:52 PM

Liked: 10
Although not a perfect 3D camera, I just ordered a 3D attachment device for my iPhone. I saw a friends and had to have it. It is called Poppy3D and it has no electronic parts. You simply put your iPhone 4s, 5 or 5s into a slot and use it to take 3D video or stills. A very simple device. It uses a splitter and two small mirrors to capture side by side images into the iPhone. It also acts as a viewer, much like the viewmaster of old. It costs $59 plus tax and shipping. You can also use it to view 3D Youtube videos. You can read about it at Poppy3D.com.
Poppy3D.jpg 66k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poppy3D.jpg (65.6 KB, 13 views)
post #14 of 45 Old 01-10-2014, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

The poppy is clunky, but it looks to be more useful than the Holga for around the same price.
post #15 of 45 Old 01-11-2014, 10:07 AM

I do not understand how the Holga compares. I went to their website and it did not look like it does 3D, seems it only has one lens position. How could you get 3D from it?
post #16 of 45 Old 01-11-2014, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageman View Post

I do not understand how the Holga compares. I went to their website and it did not look like it does 3D, seems it only has one lens position. How could you get 3D from it?

It has a spit mirror for the left and right eye images. Are you sure you went to the right link above? They have several single lenses for the iphone as well. That said, they only have one 3D image on their discussion website and it's not very good.
post #17 of 45 Old 01-11-2014, 02:03 PM

." Are you sure you sent to the right link above?"

Thanks for the info. I did not go to that link, just googled and ended up seeing other stuff like a film camera and a dial filter thing for iPhone. I see now what they have. It looks like the eye base might be kind of narrow for 3D. I have a Fuji 3D W3 that has 75 mm eye base. It looks like the Poppy is about that too. The Fuji is pretty good for stills and video. But I have not been able to edit the 3D video so can only play it as taken on my TV. Fuji has a lenticular finder which is pretty nice 3D image for framing the shot and for playback. The resolution is a bit higher than the iPhone as it has two 10 megapixel CCDs and 3X optical zoom. I convert the 3D MPO files to stereo Jpegs and view them on my 3D TV. I am hoping to be able to view the Fuji jpegs on the Poppy. I see Holga has a similar looking $10 viewer that might be just the thing for viewing them as well. I took a lot of 3D pics with the Fuji on a 16 day cruise. Fellow passengers were impressed with just seeing the results on the lenticular finder screen. I could have sold a dozen of the little Fuji if I had had them. A viewer like the Poppy or the Holga and probably could have sold fifty. Thanks again.
post #18 of 45 Old 01-11-2014, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

I have both the Panasonic 3D1 and the Fuji W3. While the Fuji has a nice 3D roundness to it, I found indoor shots to be poor, and the 3D1 much better-no flash, hand held, slow shutter--however, both don't do well with flash. I did edit some 3D1 video with Windows 7 Movie Maker http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/movie-maker, and uploaded it to Youtube in SBS format and selected stereo and it worked--I assume you could do the same with Fuji 3D video! You should be able to watch that on your TV as well. My video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFZX4xJNLuY The following was done with Vegas Movie Studio (I think): http://youtu.be/gIgTDQ1FnCQ a couple years ago of the Henry Ford Museum. Click the wheel on the right side and select options to change to 1080p, switch R/L eyes, or select different types of 3D.
post #19 of 45 Old 07-04-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
We beleive the 3D cameras are not over !!!

Hi fellow stereographers.
I was surfing the web for 3D cameras and I reach this thread.
I would say that 3D cameras are not over. Couples of years ago I was working at a start up company in Eindhoven, the Netherlands that is making 3D glasses free Displays. This company was founded by former employees of Philips 3D Solutions. Dimenco B.V. has been making glasses free displays for the B2B market for almost 4 years. This year they went to Kickstarter, unfortunately not a successful campaign. Even though the campaign did not reach the goal I know that they are going to succeed, because they make a really good quality product. Dimenco is now focusing in the consumer market and soon they will start producing 3D Glasses free TV.
The problem is: What about content?. Is there enough content for those user that will buy a 3D glasses free TV, or Tablet or Mobile phone.
Will be a S3D camera in the market able to bring good quality stereo images for those devices. And the most important question: Will be the consumer/user able to make 3D videos easily?
Since my work at Dimenco I've been thinking about a 3D camera to make videos easily. Now I am co-founding a start up, Transcend Vision Systems, were we will develop a new type of stereo camera.
We called Cue. If you are curious about it you can visit us at http://transcend-vs.com/ or follow us in twitter https://twitter.com/Transc3nD_VS.
We have interviewed stereographers all around the world and we have learned from them what are the most important features that a S3D camera should have to make good quality 3D videos.
Now our mission is to make it real.

Last edited by aviteri; 07-04-2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: correction of a misspelling
post #20 of 45 Old 07-04-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
One of the biggest problems with parallel rigs in they're impossible to shoot macro, closer than 18". And with fixed lenses you don't get much range, which I see this concept uses adjustable I.A. so that might help.

If you could, spend some time contemplating a beam splitter all in one unit or the problems of incorporating that into production. This would have a fixed right lens that's mounted vertically, then the left lens which would be adjustable to the left for wider I.A. and able to get the lenses right on top of each other like traditional mirror rigs.

I see this as the only solution for all in one cameras for the best 3D range as it lets you shoot macro and depending on the size of the mirror, distance 3D. Another big challenge would be making the left lens motorized and also image alignment and positioning whilst zooming.

Here's a crude drawing I just did of one. I need to do a front view, just haven't gotten around to it. I'm not sure how much mechanics would be behind the lenses for zooming and image processing, so it might be a little larger at the front. I don't see any way to make it more compact up there because of the vertical lens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Portable Mirror Rig design.jpg (92.2 KB, 10 views)
post #21 of 45 Old 07-05-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tom, I spent a small amount of time with hands on the mirror systems, and as you know I have two setups for SbS, one with twin TD10 and a LANC sync controller, as well as twin NEX5n's with several fixed lenses.

The main problem with these, over the single camcorder is alignment. When you go to a mirror system the alignment becomes geometrically more complex than a SbS rig. With good mechanics, the SbS can be aligned once and then only one adjustment the variable IA needs to be calculated and set based on the lens focal length, distances to the near and far objects in the scene. The main advantage of the mirror or Roberts rig is that you can use these large format cameras in a close up range of shooting. Once we get to the minimum IA distance for the size cameras, then SbS actually makes the alignment issues much less difficult. The Roberts over through rig serves no purpose beyond the minimum SbS IA for camera size.

So, this then becomes an engineering / cost decision as to a choice to shoot a range of scenes in your project with one camera system or two or more systems. It may be cost ineffective to try to make one system cover all needs as most of those needs will suffer a degree of compromise and added cost in purchase and production time.

I actually carry Five 3D systems in my production kit. Each has it's optimum range of capabilities and I will often start with one and then switch to another when the conditions change.
1. Single Sony TD10
2. Twin TD10's SbS with LANC sync for twin zoom control
3. Pan 3D1
4. Twin NEX5n ( no zooming )
5. Z10K

Each of these camera 3D packages can be further modified with lenses, filters, variable IA, and a single NEX5n can also shoot 3D panorama stills.

I have not gotten into 3D Macro yet but have shot some pretty good 1:1 at the limit of depth of field with the TD10 and Macro mode on the Z10K.

With a mirror rig, the alignment gets quite critical the closer your IA becomes. From what I have experienced, you will need a special 3D alignment monitor connected live to the system to do your alignments. I worked with the systems with 3D Element Technica to learn about the complexities needing to be controlled for good 3D. So, the equipment is out there but it isn't cheap. You will run into the 6 figures quickly to own it. Better to rent it for your projects.
post #22 of 45 Old 07-05-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Sorry for the long post, just many different points of frustration with 3D that I've seen so far, lol!

Alignment on the prototype all in one mirror rig would be similar in setup to SbS, in that once it's set it won't need much in the way of adjusting —hopefully. If not, manual adjustments could be added. As I see it, the biggest advantage to an all in one system in this setup would be to eliminate the need for multiple cameras to carry or in situations where it's not feasible to run the larger dual camera systems or add on adapters like SBE's, not to mention for many of the reasons that prosumer all in one SbS systems were released.

With over/under systems you can widen the I.A. with distance shots, plus get macro 3D, with that advantage it really is miles ahead of any SbS system, yes there are other problems that have to be overcome with that setup which is why I'm not sure if I'll go that route or not. I'm really hoping for some leap in design at this point, like an all in one mirror system. This system wouldn't need to be designed to replace either the beam splitter or SbS systems altogether, just a portable version of the beam splitter just like SbS portable rigs are to the IMAX system.

There are a lot of critical design factors: positioning and mounting of the 50/50 mirror on a 45 degree angle, size of the mirror which will factor in how much I.A. distance can be used. With a 4"x6" mirror that might be large enough for a 4-5 inch I.A. depending on size of lenses. Positioning of lenses and mounting and alignment, also motorizing the left lens and hopefully a zoom control that could move the left lens as zooming increases.

They were able to get many of these same critical factors in place in SbS rigs albeit only in the X-plane and not all three planes (X,Y,Z) like over/under, also fixed lenses instead of adjustable. Fixed alignment might be enough, or small adjustments with a directional pad for each lens to toe in the alignment manually. One other issue with beam splitter setup is the brightness lost with the lens that passes thru the mirror, which has to be adjusted in post or adjusted for each scene. A built in display, with MIX mode can be installed to monitor recording, eliminating the need for larger field monitors.

Basically built like a 3DA1 but would have a larger front with the vertical lens and mirror but with a whole lot more design innovation and advantageous range use. There will be compromises with this system as with any other. You're stuck with the integrated lenses that are installed, and the onboard compression method unless you can output uncompressed.

All in all, there are critical design elements in this all in one system but I'm sure they said the same thing with all in one SbS systems like the 3DA1 when they designed it. From what I've read it took 9 months to design the 3DA1 from start to finish. I think they should have taken a little more time than that as there are areas of improvement in that camera, but many are just limitations with SbS. And this prototype might have areas of improvement after launch but you just keep redesigning till you get it right and release new units every 2 to 3 years.

IMO, SbS systems are inherently flawed. The only reason they're used, is it's just easier right now. There has to be some major design change to get 3D acquisition easier and cheaper. The answer is over/under setup but taking out all the hassles of two cameras, locking systems, external display and a crew of 6 or more to operate it. Plus, taking into account 3D isn't as high up in demand as say 4K there really isn't much going on with design changes and were not even seeing new all in one SbS systems either.

If 3D is to succeed and continue, there really needs to be some simplification if nothing else. Otherwise, I only see converted 3D as continuing in mass production or else a very limited market that could dry up anytime. If a producer wants to look into 3D and doesn't have the budget to hire the necessary crew to run the beam splitter, but can get one experience guy to run an all in one rig, at least that's something. And that's good for us 3D enthusiasts that just want great looking 3D but without a lot of the hassles and expense and what we're able to carry. I don't know how you carry all that stuff, Don, I'm younger than you I think, a tripod and one camera is it for me. I need to enlist my kids' help I guess.

I've got some great looking 3D with the 3DA1, it does have it's sweet spots and limits, but if we can get a portable all in one mirror rig, I'd buy one. It would be able to shoot macro plus eliminating the need to buy/carry a SBE, not to mention setting up each of those shots easier and quicker. Of course all of this is in theory. It's nothing more than an idea and wish at this point. A lot of design elements and someone to build it. Oh, well, I'll keep wishing.
post #23 of 45 Old 07-06-2014, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
When you go to a mirror system the alignment becomes geometrically more complex than a SbS rig. With good mechanics, the SbS can be aligned once and then only one adjustment the variable IA needs to be calculated and set based on the lens focal length, distances to the near and far objects in the scene. The main advantage of the mirror or Roberts rig is that you can use these large format cameras in a close up range of shooting. Once we get to the minimum IA distance for the size cameras, then SbS actually makes the alignment issues much less difficult. The Roberts over through rig serves no purpose beyond the minimum SbS IA for camera size.
Don, you may remember that I have the Roberts rig here - my experience is that the alignment needs more learning how to do it. But if one understands that then the alignment is not more complex any more, compared with a side-by-side rig, really.

I have still my two TD10 units that can be used on the Roberts rig too. Using the same controller is fine. Beside that there is another disadvantage - one has to be more carefull to transport a beam splitter rig (the mirror can break). I have no good transport solution really up to now.

Together with the costs that is a point that made me decided NOT to invest in a second GH4 at the moment - I purchased one to enter the 4K arena, but I am not sure if I would use a second GH4 with the Roberts rig really. So my next shootings will be 2D with the GH4 alone at the moment, even if it would be fun to shoot s3D in 4K

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #24 of 45 Old 07-06-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Wolfgang- Haven't heard much from you lately. I assumed you have been busy with work and family obligations. I didn't know you bought a 4K camera.

As for setup of the SbS Twin rig, I suppose it depends on the mechanics design. My calibration on my setup is pretty fast since the mechanics are very strong, so that putting it together in the field takes about a minute. Then I verify the calibration with the grids on the camera displays. Very rarely do I need to tweak it. The quick mounts, just lock the cameras in place where they should be and then I just slide the IA spread according to my calculations and spotter scope range finder.

I suppose the calibrations could be locked down with the Roberts rig too but from what I saw that was not built into that design. Lots of adjustments when setting up. My first SBS design had that issue and it annoyed me having all those set screws to fiddle with so I eliminated them in the second design.
post #25 of 45 Old 07-06-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I was busy and hat some bad time in the hospital too. And sure, I am going for 4K too - where I think that the GH4 is the most interesting camera at the moment (even with the pitfall that there is a controller, but that the Panasonic products does not use the lanc protokoll).

I think the Roberts Rig is not worser then a side-by-side rig after one has become familiar with the system. Sure the calibration was build into the design of the Roberts rig - but the trick is to be able to bring in and out the cameras in a way where you can reproduce even the camera settings. Since I had great experience with the Sirui clams - well, I have equipt Robers Rig with Sirui clams - what make the settings of the camera reproduceable really when a first alignment is done. So I think that is not the issue here really.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #26 of 45 Old 07-06-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviteri View Post
We called Cue. If you are curious about it you can visit us at http://transcend-vs.com/ or follow us in twitter https://twitter.com/Transc3nD_VS.
We have interviewed stereographers all around the world and we have learned from them what are the most important features that a S3D camera should have to make good quality 3D videos. Now our mission is to make it real.
On the mentioned page there is no information about the sensor size, the 35mm equivalent focal length, the lens aperture, bitrates, dynamic range, the actual resolution of the camera, ... which is all very important data. 15 minutes battery life is not quite high as well. Anyway, such camera, if the specs are right, might be bestseller among 3D enthusiasts.

Have you ever thought about building two small cameras which are simultaneously controlled by means of wireless communication? In this case you might provide different casings for different max. stereo bases. Moreover, you might additionally offer a relatively compact mirror rig.
My personal "almost perfect" system would be something similar to Sony QX system (a little narrower, if possible) where you can adjust settings on both lenses simultaneously and synchronize them. In this case there would be no limitation of the max. stereo base.

By the way, I've made a relatively small mirror rig (about 30x25x20cm) for a pair of GH2s (stereo base 0-12cm). I also think that adjusting the cameras is not so problematic. Of course, mirror rig is also not the ideal 3D system due to some light loss and polarized light. Besides, SbS configuration is less bulky.

In my opinion, both, side-by-side and mirror-rig setups are having strengths and weaknesses. I wish you success in building SbS setup!! Just inform us regularly about the progress.

Damir
post #27 of 45 Old 07-06-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy3d View Post
On the mentioned page there is no information about the sensor size, the 35mm equivalent focal length, the lens aperture, bitrates, dynamic range, the actual resolution of the camera, ... which is all very important data. 15 minutes battery life is not quite high as well. Anyway, such camera, if the specs are right, might be bestseller among 3D enthusiasts.

Have you ever thought about building two small cameras which are simultaneously controlled by means of wireless communication? In this case you might provide different casings for different max. stereo bases. Moreover, you might additionally offer a relatively compact mirror rig.
My personal "almost perfect" system would be something similar to Sony QX system (a little narrower, if possible) where you can adjust settings on both lenses simultaneously and synchronize them. In this case there would be no limitation of the max. stereo base.

By the way, I've made a relatively small mirror rig (about 30x25x20cm) for a pair of GH2s (stereo base 0-12cm). I also think that adjusting the cameras is not so problematic. Of course, mirror rig is also not the ideal 3D system due to some light loss and polarized light. Besides, SbS configuration is less bulky.

In my opinion, both, side-by-side and mirror-rig setups are having strengths and weaknesses. I wish you success in building SbS setup!! Just inform us regularly about the progress.

Damir
Hi Damir,
Thanks for your feedback about our specs. We will take them into consideration. Soon we will update the specs with more detail.
We are planing to control the camera via wireless. What we think about 2 cameras controlled remotely is that there is a high risk in missing the synchronization between sensors and also alignment. This is why we are planning a all in one body.
Also SbS is our target configuration. The main reason for that is that we can reduce the amount of moving parts and also keep all the electronics in a compact body. We imagine people wearing the camera or fixing it in places that a big rig cannot fit. We are aware of the tradeoffs, but this is just our first product as a start up.
The spec of 15 minutes of battery life is mainly because there are 2 sensor with global shutter capturing up to 60 fps and the body size is kept small. We are working to find a improvement for that. We know that for wind/kite/surfers and scuba divers this will not be a nice spec. as you want to make good use of your camera in the water.

I appreciate you comment about become a "bestseller among 3D enthusiasts". We will keep this pretty much in mind!.

Alejandro.
post #28 of 45 Old 07-07-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Wolfgang- Sorry to hear you had some health problems and in the hospital. Hope all is well now and you have recovered quickly.

I did not know you were able to add the quick release system to the Roberts rig. I wouldn't think there was enough room to do that. But, I know using them here saves a lot of time and reproduces the calibration very well for each setup.

I have not found any problems with syncing the two NEX5n's without a sync controller. But for very fast action video, it will not be adequate. Plus none of the DSLR format cameras will permit servo lens zooming anyway. I'm finding most of my projects calling for SbS Twin cams with controlled zoom are now done. In the past year everything I shot with expanded IA has been with the wide angle fixed lens Twin NEX5n's. or the Z10K. I have been using my TD10's in a car cam application, shooting 3D through the windshield while driving.

I have no plans in my future for 4K shooting but I am shaping up plans for upgrade to 4K in the Home Theater maybe as soon as next year. Presently, I'm not quite ready with current projector options or TV 65" panel options/price point.
post #29 of 45 Old 07-08-2014, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviteri View Post
Also SbS is our target configuration. The main reason for that is that we can reduce the amount of moving parts and also keep all the electronics in a compact body. We imagine people wearing the camera or fixing it in places that a big rig cannot fit. We are aware of the tradeoffs, but this is just our first product as a start up.
The spec of 15 minutes of battery life is mainly because there are 2 sensor with global shutter capturing up to 60 fps and the body size is kept small.
The concept of the smaller size and variable stereo base, starting from 35mm, is probably the key. Such small size and stereo base usually cannot be achieved with Canons and StereoData Maker (SDM) in landscape orientation.
However, the new version of video synch genlock system (SDM), based on simpler cabling (USB port), is already in testing phase. This means that you should concentrate on your advantages and these are smaller size and minimum stereo base, faster frame-rate, probably higher picture quality, global shutter or 4K, etc.

Damir

Last edited by crunchy3d; 07-08-2014 at 05:37 AM.
post #30 of 45 Old 07-08-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

aviteri-

I speak from the markets here in the US as I respect they may be different in other parts of the world.

Here the consumer wants convenience while not sacrificing too much in quality. As a design package most people here today will only shoot stills and video with their smart phone. So, while there still are many photographers who love video and stills using high quality cameras, most people just capture the moment with a cell phone. Even I use my phone camera for lots of uses. But I prefer to also carry a Panasonic 3D1 as it is not much bigger than a smart phone and it has the 3D still and video capability with adequate quality and features.

What your company seems to copy is the Panasonic 3D1 style while adding the ability to get closer IA for close up shooting than what the Panasonic 3D1 is capably of doing without ghosting out on the very close objects in the shot. The real question one needs to ask is what the market demand for these closeups is. Do people really want to shoot this sort of content in 3D? enough to have a special camera of your design. I don't see that demand out there. You will need to create a trend setting movement.

How to create a trend setting movement- Presently, a new public owned company has been developing their own trend here in the states with a simple high quality camera that is small, light weight, and water proof housing. The shooting trend they developed over a few years is the "selfie shot" Here people can use this modular camera to shoot very high quality video of themselves and their immediate environment. The cameras achieve this task with simplicity and size, plus a very wide angle lens. The company is GoPro and they have ways to make a 3D stereo system and even a 360 degree panorama system with their cameras. You can remotely control the thing and the video is very high quality, although one has to accept the lens wide angle fisheye distortion. They also developed a whole plethora of special mounts to stick the camera anywhere. The public accepts the GoPro shortcomings and the camera is very popular among professionals, broadcasters and consumers. They have the most popular selling camera in 2013 and to date in 2014, excluding smart phone cameras.

What can be learned from Go Pro is you have to create a market for your camera that gives the consumer something they can do differently. Otherwise you will only appeal to the niche market of the 3D stereographer hobbyist who can see spending his limited budget on a camera that offers something other 3D camera systems do not. That is an extremely small group of buyers.

The technical aspects seem not difficult to do, but selling this to pay for the cost of going to market plus a profit can be quite a different challenge.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page