GoPro 3D System for two HERO3+ Black Edition cameras - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 110Likes

post #61 of 1518 Old 11-01-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
It doesn't warp the z-axis, but it's a fairly powerful and easy to use 3D adjustment tool. It has a rectify button to adjust both horizontal and vertical errors at the same time, and an auto-sizing button that fills the frames after correction. Together with the "Layouter," it makes correcting 3D problems a lot easier.
Joe, I would also go so far to say that it will do far more than just correcting 3D problems but will GREATLY increase the 3D effect where it is lacking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1518 Old 11-02-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Just for clarification, I use version 7.21 of Edius, instead of the newest version 7 build. Although I used 7.30 for quite some time without any issues, Edius users who edit in 3D were advised to use 7.21 because of problems exporting certain file types in 3D. I never had any problems, but I wanted to play it safe. Perhaps the newest build has worked out the kinks.

I haven't experimented much with stereoscopic adjustments to footage shot with very wide angle lenses. The only one I have is the Cyclopital3D fisheye adapter for the Panasonic Z10k, which I very seldom use. I'm not much of a winter or water sports kind of guy, unfortunately.

Joe Clark

post #63 of 1518 Old 11-02-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I haven't experimented much with stereoscopic adjustments to footage shot with very wide angle lenses. The only one I have is the Cyclopital3D fisheye adapter for the Panasonic Z10k, which I very seldom use. I'm not much of a winter or water sports kind of guy, unfortunately.
Experiment, is right. Really hoping this works on such wide angle material. I'm guardedly optimistic☺ I'll let you know.

post #64 of 1518 Old 11-09-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My Dual Hero, system arrived from Amazon earlier this week. I've played around with it a bit around the street and yard just to get a feel for how well it would work. Happy to report that I was pleasantly surprised at just how much better the 3D is than I was expecting. I was assuming that the wide angle of the GP would really water down any depth effect past 10 feet or so. Quite the contrary! Depth is surprisingly good☺ I paired a few clips with Edius and played around with adding some stereoscopic enhancement. A little bit was quite sufficient. Again, a real surprise. I also tried the 2.7 mode. Again, the files paired well, although they can't be viewed in this resolution in 3D. I did some crops and stabilization and exported at 1080 where they could be viewed in 3D. Very impressive. I suspect that shooting at this 2.7 30fps mode might end up as my main mode, along with 1080 60p. The sharpness and filter/cropping wiggle room will be a real bonus, at times.

Again, I haven't really used it much yet, other then these first initial tests but so far, all positive!

Last edited by Barry C; 11-10-2014 at 09:47 AM.
post #65 of 1518 Old 11-24-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I tried the GP Dual out yesterday skiing- helmet mounted. Aside from the terribly crowded- dangerous in my opinion- ski conditions on the 1 run of man made snow we were on (no snow in the Tahoe region. You guys back east and in the midwest have it all), the 3D it captured was impressive. Again, very pleasantly surprised at how good the depth is. It really won't need much, or any, stereoscopic enhancement with Edius. I've been trying the GP Protunes mode with 2.7K at 45 mbps bit rate. Very nice mode but with paired clips, sure makes my computer struggle😕
post #66 of 1518 Old 11-30-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is interesting. Here's a place that sells extension sync cables and other wide IA setups for the GP 3+ and other models.
http://3dguy.tv/category/3d-store/

I'm thinking that I might just have to further overextend the credit card here.

OK Mr. Landis, you're next!
post #67 of 1518 Old 12-04-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 373
My turn?

Well, no U/W extension cable for you Barry!

Might have an above water application and I like the LCD for framing. I want to see a sample of 3D time lapsed. Since I already have the Nabi and my NEX5n's for a whole range of non-sync wide IA 3D, frame sync triggering would be my incentive.

PS- I'm near complete with the Disney video that has the U/W Nabi stuff. Getting ready to do another review this afternoon. This one is just for the family and won't be for YT publication. Meaning, it is more about my family seeing themselves. I'll still upload it to YT and slate it as private link so you guys can see it.

Note- on this video, I shot a bunch using Pivothead Durango glasses. I made it 3D compatible with a simple push back. I'm looking for other ideas on best way to handle 2D content like this in a 3D production. I don't have any good automatic 3D edit converters. The glasses shoot 1080p x 1920 so the image is good but still just 2D.
Barry C likes this.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #68 of 1518 Old 12-04-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
PS- I'm near complete with the Disney video that has the U/W Nabi stuff. Getting ready to do another review this afternoon. This one is just for the family and won't be for YT publication. Meaning, it is more about my family seeing themselves. I'll still upload it to YT and slate it as private link so you guys can see it.

Note- on this video, I shot a bunch using Pivothead Durango glasses. I made it 3D compatible with a simple push back. I'm looking for other ideas on best way to handle 2D content like this in a 3D production. I don't have any good automatic 3D edit converters. The glasses shoot 1080p x 1920 so the image is good but still just 2D.
Looking forward to the Nabi stereo. The Pivotheads are new to me--where was I when these came out ? That said, a smart guy like you could probably get two pairs of glasses linked together for more stereo fun. It would be an interesting exercise....
post #69 of 1518 Old 12-05-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Out skiing today- crappy conditions- with the Dual on my helmet. Second time I've used it this way. What's encouraging is the huge interest this thing gets from the 20 something crowd. I've been approached several times and asked about it and have heard many others commenting to their friends about it and staring in wonderment. Some have said they're going to get it after I tell them what it does. As the saying goes, "youth is the hope for the future."
No 3D bashers among these folks!!

Hey Don, what do you think of a helmet mounted 1 meter bench- lol!!
post #70 of 1518 Old 12-05-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Barry, do you have a pic or your helmet setup? Would like to see it.
post #71 of 1518 Old 12-05-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Bob, I'll get a picture tomorrow & add a link.
post #72 of 1518 Old 12-06-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK Bob, here's a Dropbox link to a picture of the helmet mounted Dual. Nothing special really, just a standard GP curved adhesive mount on top of the ski helmet. For proper adjustment, when I put it on, I use the GP app in my smart phone and angle it accordingly, lock it down and then turn the wifi off. That's it!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...206_151516.jpg
post #73 of 1518 Old 12-06-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Barry, I was intrigued by your picture and looked at your profile. Nice to see someone else--retired--who isn't too old to enjoy all the fun out there with rigs like the gopro. I too started with the Realist--back in 1963 to be exact--have over a 1000 slides I scanned in to the computer, post processed each one and created mpos on a bluray disc. Disregard my icon image as I was only 23 then, on the beach in Panama City. Fla, learning how to control aircraft for the airforce...I hope to see some ski results soon. I'm sure you've seen my stereo jetski videos with the Nabi. It was a hoot to do that--my wife keeps asking when I'm going to grow up...
post #74 of 1518 Old 12-06-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Barry, I was intrigued by your picture and looked at your profile. Nice to see someone else--retired--who isn't too old to enjoy all the fun out there with rigs like the gopro. I too started with the Realist--back in 1963 to be exact--have over a 1000 slides I scanned in to the computer, post processed each one and created mpos on a bluray disc. Disregard my icon image as I was only 23 then, on the beach in Panama City. Fla, learning how to control aircraft for the airforce...I hope to see some ski results soon. I'm sure you've seen my stereo jetski videos with the Nabi. It was a hoot to do that--my wife keeps asking when I'm going to grow up...
Bob, I haven't seen your jetski video but would sure like to. If on YT, could you post a link? I'm still getting the hang of what works best with the helmet cam in terms of distances motion, smooth head turned panning, etc. If done properly, I think it could work quit well for ski content. Hopefully, I'll be able to put something up within a month or so. Assuming, we get some decent snow out here.
As for that growing up thing: No way, never-ever!!!! I guess our wives should be happy that we're not grumpy old dudes who sit around all day😆
post #75 of 1518 Old 12-06-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Barry, please follow this thread: how to sync video in Vegas from two cameras for stereo
You will see my setup, plus two separate links to two stereo videos. If you have HTML5 loaded on your browser, it will not let you select stereo options and just show them in side-by-side ( as I have discovered--I had to delete all my cookies and reboot to get rid of it), otherwise you will be able to select anaglyph, interleaved, etc. Also choose 1080p for best image of course. I synced these using a hand clap, since the Nabi can't be synced with a cable like the gopros. I was giving my nephew a wild ride in late August this year--great fun. The second one has intercut two separate videos, one facing back toward me and one facing forward.
post #76 of 1518 Old 12-06-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Barry, please follow this thread: how to sync video in Vegas from two cameras for stereo
You will see my setup, plus two separate links to two stereo videos. If you have HTML5 loaded on your browser, it will not let you select stereo options and just show them in side-by-side ( as I have discovered--I had to delete all my cookies and reboot to get rid of it), otherwise you will be able to select anaglyph, interleaved, etc. Also choose 1080p for best image of course. I synced these using a hand clap, since the Nabi can't be synced with a cable like the gopros. I was giving my nephew a wild ride in late August this year--great fun. The second one has intercut two separate videos, one facing back toward me and one facing forward.
I just watched your videos. The 3D is just great! Wonderful negative parallax on that one with your nephew. I think you've really pegged it with the IA you used with this setup.
post #77 of 1518 Old 12-09-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is really not about 3D, but about disruptive technologies--and I think the Gopro is one of these technologies. As will smartphones taking over the camera industry. Lots of opportunities for 3D imaging I think. Anyway, I found this extremely interesting, as the world we know is about to change forever:
(This is NOT in 3D)

I don't mean to start a long discussion about this--ie. pros and cons and whether you agree with the projections...just listen and enjoy the future as this guy sees it.
post #78 of 1518 Old 12-09-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
This is really not about 3D, but about disruptive technologies--and I think the Gopro is one of these technologies. As will smartphones taking over the camera industry. Lots of opportunities for 3D imaging I think. Anyway, I found this extremely interesting, as the world we know is about to change forever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI2tFnzMOWk (This is NOT in 3D)

I don't mean to start a long discussion about this--ie. pros and cons and whether you agree with the projections...just listen and enjoy the future as this guy sees it.
Not to toot my own horn too much, but I was preaching something like this (without quite the massive financial overtones) well over 20 years ago in my classes at the university. I referred to it as "the digital black hole." I started with how the computer and printer had replaced the typewriter, then all of print media (and desktop publishing), then photography, audio and video. I taught in a school of communications, and it was obvious to me where things were headed.

I also talked on and on (to the frustration of many ) about how I thought the most significant areas of advancement with computer technology would take place in the medical field. I had no inkling about 3D printing of body parts, or the mapping of the human genome, but I thought computer technology would be at the heart of the most important advances in medicine we would experience in the 21st century. It's not much of stretch to see that computers will prove invaluable in the treatment of diseases like Alzheimers and Parkinsons in the near future. These ailments have impacted the lives of my loved ones most profoundly the last few years.

This topic isn't off target for this thread, either. 3D printing has allowed me to enjoy the products of Cyclopital3D - a company that makes affordable 3D accessories for my favorite hobby. I have stereo base extenders, close-up and wide angle adapters for my JVC and Panasonic 3D camcorders. These products would not have been possible at prices I could afford just a few years ago, but C3D makes them now. Very cool. And, if I can stretch my Prius' life expectancy a little longer, I'd like to replace it with a true EV.
Barry C likes this.

Joe Clark

Last edited by Joseph Clark; 12-09-2014 at 01:48 PM.
post #79 of 1518 Old 12-09-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Joseph, You make good points. 3D printing of 3D addons allows one-off production at a profit, thereby allowing new 3D businesses to prosper in areas they never could in the past. Back in the late 90s, I was the head of Emerging Technologies for a large computer integration company and also in charge of their Virtual Reality Center. We thought 3D VR was going to be the next big wave to impact manufacturing (e.g.create 3D cars that can be viewed lifesized and changed on the fly) and architectural design (e.g.walkthrough a mall before it's built), but the buggy-whip pushback from our biggest automotive client other company suppliers trying to save old infrastructure (e.g.clay modeling for cars and artist renderings for design) was overwhelming. The VR Center has limped along for many years barely staying afloat.

3D printing, though, has finally created at least one manufacturing venue side of 3D VR that we were looking for back then.
post #80 of 1518 Old 01-09-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

At CES, GP announced an upcoming firmware update for the GP4. From everything I've read, there is no mention of it being updated for use in the 3D Dual housing/sync kit. But for firmware, it would work in the Dual. Personally, I'm perfectly happy with the 3+ Black and have no interest in the GP4 in that it will only do 4K 30fps in wide mode, not medium. I never use the wide mode but really like 2.7K protunes medium mode on the 3+ Black. Of course for 3D content rendering at 1080 is required.
post #81 of 1518 Old 01-09-2015, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I was wondering that too. Maybe some time this year then. The 4k GP at 1080p looks pretty good though. I may end up going with that one.

edit: with the medium 4k option, from what I've read you can change the lens out still right? I know there were some 3rd party lens options for the hero 3.

This line intentionally left blank.

Last edited by tomtastic; 01-09-2015 at 10:53 AM.
post #82 of 1518 Old 01-09-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tom, there is NO medium 4K option, only ultra wide. The GP4 uses the same sensor as the 3+ Black. The 4 uses a different image processor, however. This is why it can shoot 4K at 30fps. For 4K, the entire sensor must be used, hence no medium or narrow view. I won't have any interest in this 4K camera until it uses a sensor that can do native medium or narrow frame in 4K. Again, my main interest is for its cropping potential.

Here is a link to the GP4 formats.
http://shop.gopro.com/hero4/hero4-bl...401.html#/tab2

Last edited by Barry C; 01-09-2015 at 12:43 PM.
post #83 of 1518 Old 01-09-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thought I should add that there is some very good fisheye removal software called DeFishr from Prodad. Don Landis and I recently got it- he will use it for the Nabi. It has a lot of GP presets and the ability to be trained when no presets exist- Don did this. If properly calibrated, it doesn't distort the left and right like the GP software does- at least it didn't on the medium FOV I tried it on. Of course for 3D use, both left and right streams must be rendered separately and then paired.
post #84 of 1518 Old 01-09-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No, I didn't say there was a 4k medium option built in, but changing out lenses you could get a normal wide angle or 35mm for 4k. It looks like there is a 5.4mm lens replacement for it now from Ragecams 329 installed. Even with the Hero 3, you shouldn't crop the sensor, better to swap the lens, so no loss of resolution.

edit: actually a crop of a crop since it's 4:3 sensor.

Last edited by tomtastic; 01-09-2015 at 01:02 PM.
post #85 of 1518 Old 01-09-2015, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry C View Post
Thought I should add that there is some very good fisheye removal software called DeFishr from Prodad. .

Barry, I got the cheap version called ProDrenalin to use on my Nabi videos. Yesterday, I shot a fire happening three houses away and caught it all on my Galaxy S5 zooming in 4x. The video was so jittery, I couldn't watch it. I pulled it into ProDrenalin, and wow, it came out very good to excellent. My point it works well on normal video too, especially phone video.
post #86 of 1518 Old 01-09-2015, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
No, I didn't say there was a 4k medium option built in, but changing out lenses you could get a normal wide angle or 35mm for 4k. It looks like there is a 5.4mm lens replacement for it now from Ragecams 329 installed. Even with the Hero 3, you shouldn't crop the sensor, better to swap the lens, so no loss of resolution.
I'll have to take a look at that Ragecam's lens. However, for possible 3D Dual application- at least in the housing- it wouldn't be an option since I doubt it would fit in the housing anymore with the custom lens. I need the housing for underwater use. Plan to dive with it in June!

Regarding cropping, GP uses a high pixal sensor, all of its resolutions are native- not up interpolated. When I crop a 2.7K clip, I use an Edius custom preset that crops it to 1920/1080 pixals. This is exactly the same result which would be obtained by shooting at a narrow native 1080 setting. I sometimes will crop less, but never more.
post #87 of 1518 Old 01-09-2015, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Barry, I got the cheap version called ProDrenalin to use on my Nabi videos. Yesterday, I shot a fire happening three houses away and caught it all on my Galaxy S5 zooming in 4x. The video was so jittery, I couldn't watch it. I pulled it into ProDrenalin, and wow, it came out very good to excellent. My point it works well on normal video too, especially phone video.
Bob, the Prodrenalin software IS the Prodad stuff. Prodrenalin is just one of their distribution outlets. It is cheaper to buy at that site then Prodads. A few weeks ago, I bought a bunch of their stuff. Don and I also got they're high end stabilization app. Mercalli V4 Sal. It's optimized for CMOS sensors. For most stabilization needs, it wouldn't be necessary, but for my ski project, it's nothing short of a miracle. A bigger miracle, at this point, would be if we would finally get enough snow to be able to do any shooting. This drought is really getting old.
3DBob likes this.
post #88 of 1518 Old 01-09-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm definitely getting the lens replaced in whichever GP I get. Understandably they're mostly used in tight places but I'd like at least one GP with a normal view. GP really needs to have this option to buy, vs third party solutions. They have a ton of other options, should get this one added too.
Barry C likes this.

post #89 of 1518 Old 01-09-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I'm definitely getting the lens replaced in whichever GP I get. Understandably they're mostly used in tight places but I'd like at least one GP with a normal view. GP really needs to have this option to buy, vs third party solutions. They have a ton of other options, should get this one added too.
Couldn't agree with you more!! This GP barrel distortion look was an amazing sales job. They were actually able to convince millions of people that barrel distortion is a good thing. However, I would say it's clearly time to move on and offer other options. Fortunately, that DeFishr software does a real good job in the meantime. For medium view, it's not a real heavy lift at all. Fortunately, for underwater use, it's actually a total non issue. As for 3D, I would say 50/50 at best whether they ever do the firmware for the GP4. Seems like most manufacturers are trying hard to run away from it as a badge of honor. DAMN SHAME!!
post #90 of 1518 Old 01-09-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think in applications like surfing, skiing, cycling, yes the ultra wide is appropriate, since it will capture the person plus more of the surrounding area. But there's a number of other uses for the GP where you wouldn't want the ultra wide look. Personally, I would only use it sparingly, in situations that it calls for that type lens. I haven't tried the software, I don't even own a GP yet, hopefully soon though, but software can only do so much. Video with the lens replacement is pretty convincing I want it done. I was hoping more than anything, they would have released a normal view GP this year, but it doesn't look that way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page