GoPro 3D System for two HERO3+ Black Edition cameras - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 110Likes

post #1 of 1518 Old 03-31-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
System coming soon for two HERO3+ Black Edition cameras:

Link

Quote:
Tandem housing holds two HERO3+ Black Edition cameras (sold separately)
Capture full-resolution videos and photos simultaneously with uncompromised image quality
Record synchronized 2D videos or photos to convert to 3D using free GoPro Studio editing software
Single interface control enables one camera to control the other’s modes and settings
Waterproof to 197’/60m
Integrated Mini USB port enables data offload, battery charging and live-feed video when used with the included Skeleton Backdoor
Includes two sets of Curved + Flat Adhesive Mounts for mounting to your gear
Includes two pairs of 3D anaglyph glasses for viewing your 3D content
Compatible with most GoPro mounts
Compatible with the GoPro App and Wi-Fi Remote (sold separately)

Is this what Cameron used for the "Barrel sequence" in "The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug" ?

BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1518 Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Anaglyph? Seriously? I hope the software can do better than that!
post #3 of 1518 Old 04-02-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Sounds good. I greet any new 3D camera announcement enthusiastically.

The glasses are just a little perk for viewing. The GoPro software handles a lot more than anaglyph.

Joe Clark

post #4 of 1518 Old 04-02-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

System coming soon for two HERO3+ Black Edition cameras:

Link
Is this what Cameron used for the "Barrel sequence" in "The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug" ?

Do you have a link for this?

Joe Clark

post #5 of 1518 Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Do you have a link for this?
Just this link I posted in the 1st post showing the new "Dual HERO System"- (case) that is coming soon and listed currently as "Out of Stock"..

post #6 of 1518 Old 04-08-2014, 11:12 AM

Thanks, Paul. I missed the link the first time around.

Joe Clark

post #7 of 1518 Old 04-17-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

(Picture shows front and back views of the Dual HERO System case.)

FYI: update: The "Dual HERO System" for two HERO3+ Black Edition cameras are now available to order.

post #8 of 1518 Old 04-17-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 373
This is interesting!

I just bought a Hero 3 as a birthday gift for my SIL who wants to use it surfing. He is a competition class surfer and really wants to get some board location video of his surfing before he loses his skill due to age. I bought the "surfer" model and floaty back. This 3D housing is something I will keep in mind for the future if he uses the camera as expected.

I wonder if they will make a floatation accessory for this 3D kit as well. Haven't got it out of the box yet as his birthday is next week.

I'm worried about him losing the Go Pro if it should come off the surf board.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #9 of 1518 Old 04-18-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Some good questions from gekke Henkie on another forum.
Quote:
First, keep in mind that two camera's ($400 each) and this case add up to $1,000 (excl. shipping, tax), while Fuji's W3 ($300) plus underwater case (about $650) will cost you about the same; both excluding red filters, etc.

Anyway, it seems that you cannot take single pictures with the GoPro. Instead it only takes pictures in time-lapse mode. My first question would be if you can turn this function on (let it take a few pictures), and turn it off again; and do that every time you'd like to have a (some) picture(s). Would that work-around be possible?

If so, after importing the synchronized picture(s) from the time-lapse into the GoPro Studio software, and finishing alignment and other stuff, is it possible to combine the two images into one 3D-picture and save it in the standard MPO-format?

Thirdly, after you combined two AVC-streams (let's say in 1080p24) in the software, can you package it in the same format as Blu-rays are coded, and save and burn the new MVC-stream on a BD-R?

I searched for these questions on their Forum, Support-pages, and Google, but couldn't find anything. Thanks for any help!
The system should be capable of immersive 3D videos in 1080P Full HD 3D with "constant frame rate H.264 mp4 and .mov formats", but what about MPO's or MVC packing capability for Blu-ray 3D?

post #10 of 1518 Old 04-18-2014, 10:25 AM

I haven't worked much with the MPO format, but pairing 2x 24p left/right AVCHD streams as stereo in Vegas Pro is a snap. Then you can export to Blu-ray 3D at 24mbps, and if you're willing to settle for 2D menus, you can use DVD Architect to create a disc with menus. The video is still 3D, of course.

Joe Clark

post #11 of 1518 Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 AM

Edius and Premiere (with a 3D plug-in) can edit and export 3D clips, but you'll still need Vegas for the final output to disc. Cyberlink's PowerDirector can also export to a 3D compatible disc (with 3D menus), but there are some bitrate limitations.

Joe Clark

post #12 of 1518 Old 04-18-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I suspect the Go Pro system will need a little extra effort to pair in Vegas Pro. One of the clips will need to be inverted since the camera is installed upside down. But whatever you import to Vegas Pro and pair you can then render a frame or more to MPO output.

It seems the Go Pro system is better designed for the shooter in rough environments since you can remote control it with a wrist wifi transmitter also water proof. The Fuji does not have this capability, or does it?

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #13 of 1518 Old 04-18-2014, 11:44 AM

The free Cineform Studio software that comes with the GoPro will do inversion/flipping/stereoscopic adjustment of the GoPro streams. It handles color correction, too. By the time you get to Vegas, you could have fully corrected clips to drop into the timeline. You can apply further correction/adjustments in Vegas if you need to, but the Cineform software is powerful.

Joe Clark

post #14 of 1518 Old 04-18-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 173
My concern about Gopro 3d for motion/action shooting is that it is inherently a shaky process. I have a hero 3+ black edition- non 3d -which I used on a helmet mount skiing this year. I took a lot of clips of my son and friends on a variety of runs. The camera does a superb job (I set it at 1080 60p) once you get used to it, but at times, some of the video can be difficult to watch without my inner ear wanting to revolt. I suspect that using it for 3d action video, in an activity which is inherently unsmooth, could be a real problem to watch.
post #15 of 1518 Old 04-19-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Barry- I had a short discussion with the experts at NAB on this some time ago and their reminder was that the shooting style with these and other action cameras are not to use the video long form. You shoot everything and look for short clips you can use, then slomo is often preferred which will cover up the shake. I shoot stuff with my Pivot video glasses too and while the video quality is high, the shake and camera levelness often leaves lots to be desired.
Having said that, I love having the TD10 image stabilization for my car cam video. That is long form and compared to Go Pro for the same genre, the TD10 just performs so much better.

I'm sure I'll have to review this with my SIL so he understands, that with Go Pro, you have to shoot everything hunt for the good stuff. Use his little Canon camcorder for main non-action video. He is planning a visit to Disney in a week so I will advise him to save the Go Pro for the water splash rides and shoot most of the tour through the park with his Canon. He know how to edit video on his Mac but hates the process.

To keep the camera small and light, I doubt GoPro will add image optical stabilization until a new technology is invented. They need to keep the camera small. Besides, post image stabilization quality is improving all the time.

Joe- I understand there are all sorts of other tools for flipping etc, but I still avoid cluttering up my Vegas editing computer with lots of other software to do the same thing. My computer boots in 15 seconds and rarely crashes. Vegas crashing was a problem in ver 10 and first parts of Ver 11 but 12 release has been very stable. I can't say that for during the beta period. Wolfgang will confirm we beta testers had lots of problems with early beta 12 stability too. You never saw that, thank god!

My 3D videos and more
post #16 of 1518 Old 04-19-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Barry- I had a short discussion with the experts at NAB on this some time ago and their reminder was that the shooting style with these and other action cameras are not to use the video long form. You shoot everything and look for short clips you can use, then slomo is often preferred which will cover up the shake. I shoot stuff with my Pivot video glasses too and while the video quality is high, the shake and camera levelness often leaves lots to be desired.
Having said that, I love having the TD10 image stabilization for my car cam video. That is long form and compared to Go Pro for the same genre, the TD10 just performs so much better.

I'm sure I'll have to review this with my SIL so he understands, that with Go Pro, you have to shoot everything hunt for the good stuff. Use his little Canon camcorder for main non-action video. He is planning a visit to Disney in a week so I will advise him to save the Go Pro for the water splash rides and shoot most of the tour through the park with his Canon. He know how to edit video on his Mac but hates the process.

To keep the camera small and light, I doubt GoPro will add image optical stabilization until a new technology is invented. They need to keep the camera small. Besides, post image stabilization quality is improving all the time.

Joe- I understand there are all sorts of other tools for flipping etc, but I still avoid cluttering up my Vegas editing computer with lots of other software to do the same thing. My computer boots in 15 seconds and rarely crashes. Vegas crashing was a problem in ver 10 and first parts of Ver 11 but 12 release has been very stable. I can't say that for during the beta period. Wolfgang will confirm we beta testers had lots of problems with early beta 12 stability too. You never saw that, thank god!

Don,
Thanks, as always for the great info. Your experience and incites are always appreciated. You and Joe Clark, what a great rescource. smile.gif

As for the Gopro, as the ski season- such as it was in the Tahoe area mad.gif - went on, I got more adept at finding out what worked well and what didn't. You are absolutely spot on about these things not being too good for long form and I plan to cherry pick the clips accordingly. I probably won't get the dual cam 3d setup for this system, however. For underwater application, it might be pretty good for 3d, but I've already got that end pretty much covered by my current setup. I think your advice to your SIL for his Disney trip is spot on. I will say this for the current generation of these little cameras, at 1080 60p, the quality is quite remarkable.
post #17 of 1518 Old 04-21-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

SIL was really excited with the Go Pro. He is very familiar with the FCS? mount and plans to install the sockets on the nose of his surf board(s) to reduce the risk of losing the camera. His brother works at a surf shop and will handle the install. Yes, plural. he has a half dozen surf boards. Gosh, come to think of it my daughter has 2 surf boards.

Well, I travel with 9 cameras so it must run in the family. smile.gif 10 with the ipad but I never use it as a camera so it doesn't count.

My 3D videos and more
post #18 of 1518 Old 04-21-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

SIL was really excited with the Go Pro. He is very familiar with the FCS? mount and plans to install the sockets on the nose of his surf board(s) to reduce the risk of losing the camera. His brother works at a surf shop and will handle the install. Yes, plural. he has a half dozen surf boards. Gosh, come to think of it my daughter has 2 surf boards.

Well, I travel with 9 cameras so it must run in the family. smile.gif 10 with the ipad but I never use it as a camera so it doesn't count.

This number of surfboards your SIL has, and the number of cameras you carry seems quite reasonable to me.wink.gif Of course, I'm somewhat limited with only 9 pairs of snow skies- LOL
My questions is, have you figured out what your 10th camera is going to be yet?
post #19 of 1518 Old 04-22-2014, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Yes, but it isn't out yet. It's a 360° panorama camera to mount on the roof of my car.

http://www.geonaute.com/products/camera-360/camera-geonaute-360.html

Saw one at CES in January. It's amazing and really good quality.

My 3D videos and more
post #20 of 1518 Old 09-11-2014, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
The free Cineform Studio software that comes with the GoPro will do inversion/flipping/stereoscopic adjustment of the GoPro streams. It handles color correction, too. By the time you get to Vegas, you could have fully corrected clips to drop into the timeline. You can apply further correction/adjustments in Vegas if you need to, but the Cineform software is powerful.
And converting you 3D videos to cineform format lets you change adjustments dynamically and the changes will be present at least in Premiere and After Effects so no extra rendering is needed.

I have been quite pleased with the Dual hero rig. Only major thing is that you can't lcd monitor under water, so you don't really know what you are shooting.
post #21 of 1518 Old 09-11-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I'm considering this for my next 3D rig, only without the 199.00 3D box. That way the lenses can be adjusted and not in such close proximity. But the cameras size and weight would make a nice portable 3D rig.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #22 of 1518 Old 09-11-2014, 03:45 PM

I was a bit skeptic because the lenses are so close, but I have been really satisfied with result. And the free version of GoPro studio gives you quite nice control over you 3d footage.

The good thing with the 199 dollar box is that it is waterproof to 60 meters and you get all your camera setting etc. synchronized automatically.
post #23 of 1518 Old 09-11-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouka View Post
And converting you 3D videos to cineform format lets you change adjustments dynamically and the changes will be present at least in Premiere and After Effects so no extra rendering is needed.

I have been quite pleased with the Dual hero rig. Only major thing is that you can't lcd monitor under water, so you don't really know what you are shooting.
I put a Gopro mount on top of my dedicated 3D housing for the JVC TD1. I only use one for 2d in that position but you might try mounting it on a small underwater camera housing and use that viewfinder. On the other hand, the angles are so wide that even with no LCD, you probably won't miss.
post #24 of 1518 Old 09-12-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Perhaps you've seen this, but if not... I'm using two NABI cameras on a slide bar and works out nicely since the cases have a camera screw bottom, and with a center rod for handheld, it would easily work under water as well, plus you have some spacing options. That said, they are not directly sync-able, but I get them within a frame and sync up later in stereo. See my link below this thread. how to sync video in Vegas from two cameras for stereo

The Nabis also have a removable LCD back that also fits into the underwater case so you can see what you are shooting.

Last edited by 3DBob; 09-12-2014 at 12:57 PM.
post #25 of 1518 Old 09-12-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry C View Post
On the other hand, the angles are so wide that even with no LCD, you probably won't miss.
True, but you can still miss it or at least get really bad composition. Been there, done that.
I usually have the 3D rig attached to my dslr housing. It helps a bit the aiming, but is not really portable solution.

Maybe I will try to find a way to attach it to my ixus housing and check how that work.
post #26 of 1518 Old 09-12-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Perhaps you've seen this, but if not... I'm using two NABI cameras on a slide bar and works out nicely since the cases have a camera screw bottom, and with a center rod for handheld, it would easily work under water as well, plus you have some spacing options. That said, they are not directly sync-able, but I get them within a frame and sync up later in stereo. See my link below this thread.
The Nabis also have a removable LCD back that also fits into the underwater case so you can see what you are shooting.
That seems like nice rig. The thing I like with GoPro rig is how easy it is to use. Both the rig and software.
Since I already had one GoPro, I decided to try two GoPros in a 3D rig. And I have been quite pleased with the result.
post #27 of 1518 Old 09-13-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is good info, now I need a second go pro 3
post #28 of 1518 Old 09-15-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouka View Post
That seems like nice rig. The thing I like with GoPro rig is how easy it is to use. Both the rig and software.
Since I already had one GoPro, I decided to try two GoPros in a 3D rig. And I have been quite pleased with the result.
Just curious, can you fit the GoPro's with the LCD back inside the 3D housing? I bought the Hero3 with an LCD back last May for my son-in-law who uses it surfing. I was wondering how that might work out with the 3D rig?

My 3D videos and more
post #29 of 1518 Old 09-15-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Other action cams I'm looking at are the Panasonic A500 or A100, not sure if i need/want 4k, it's only 30p anyway on the A500 which might be about on par with 1080p60 vs 2160p30.

For 3D the A100/A500 looks like you can get the lenses pretty close if you need to, might be a good macro 3D setup but could still work great for distance shots too.

I haven't seen much on specs on A500 recording bit rates, I suspect not very high with micro SD, so another reason 108060p would still be a good choice.

This line intentionally left blank.

Last edited by tomtastic; 09-15-2014 at 09:09 PM.
post #30 of 1518 Old 09-16-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Just curious, can you fit the GoPro's with the LCD back inside the 3D housing? I bought the Hero3 with an LCD back last May for my son-in-law who uses it surfing. I was wondering how that might work out with the 3D rig?
Unfortunately not. That orange thing that you see on the pictures is the sync connection that occupy the back part of the housing.
While using skeleton back door it is easy to connect external display with usb-composite cable and use that, but naturally that does not work with the waterproof backdoor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page