AVS Forum banner

New format-HEVC/H.265

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Barry C 
#1 ·
I see that PowerDVD14Ultra was just announced and will play HEVC/H.265. Which is supposed to have better quality and smaller file. Anyone here know about this? Any impact on 3D playback? I did not see any of the Video editing programs supporting this yet.

#2 ·
Edius will probably support HEVC editing, but I haven't heard about any plans to use HEVC in new 3D cameras. Actually, as far as I know there aren't any new 3D camcorders being released at all, 2K or 4K. Of course, when HEVC is utilized in consumer 4K camcorders, someone will strap together two of them for 4K 3D.

I scaled some 60i left/right AVCHD clips from my JVC TD1 to 4K 60p and was able to pair them as 3D in Edius. I don't know how much more CPU/GPU intensive h.265 is, but h.264 3D editing at 4K 60p is doable on my Core i7 3930 system today. It requires proxy files for smooth playback, at least until more powerful graphics cards are introduced to help lighten the load.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123  /t/1527017/new-format-hevc-h-265#post_24599086

I see that PowerDVD14Ultra was just announced and will play HEVC/H.265. Which is supposed to have better quality and smaller file. Anyone here know about this? Any impact on 3D playback? I did not see any of the Video editing programs supporting this yet.

I stopped upgrading Power DVD after 12. I spent months with their customer service (in India), and even paid the fee twice, so I could talk to people over the phone- for emphasis- about the fact that Power DVD will only play 1080 3d at 24fps. Their editing program, Power Director, will edit and output 1080 at 30p, & 60i and the cameras that I, and many others of us here, use shoot at these frame rates. They kept assuring- AKA patronizing- me that they were working on a update and it would be out soon. I spoke to them no less then 8 times over a 6 month period with no results. When Power DVD 13 came out, I downloaded a trial version and still no 3d 1080 playback other than 24fps.

It's my feeling that 3d then, and even more so now, is treated like a red headed stepchild but perhaps, if you get 14, you could see if at least they've made it so it will play 30p or 60i 3d at its native frame rates.

#4 ·
My Sony 6200 bluray player only plays 1080p 3D at 24hz also. I can change it for 2D though to 60hz. It will play 3D at 720p 60hz though. I'm not sure it's a PowerDVD limitation as much as industry limitation. Have you tried play avchd 3D file at 60hz. I believe that works.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123  /t/1527017/new-format-hevc-h-265#post_24613515

My Sony 6200 bluray player only plays 1080p 3D at 24hz also. I can change it for 2D though to 60hz. It will play 3D at 720p 60hz though. I'm not sure it's a PowerDVD limitation as much as industry limitation. Have you tried play avchd 3D file at 60hz. I believe that works.

I vaguely recall trying it a couple of years ago and I don't think it played the AVCHD file at its native frame rate. The other problem is that Power Director, while claiming to edit AVCHD 3d files, will not. It won't recognized them as 3d so I can't edit these files. I also prefer to shoot all 3d in MP4 at 34bps.

I don't think that it would be an industry limitation, since all the 3d camcorders which shoot at these higher frame rates have the feature that allows them to be plugged via HDMI directly into a 3d display device and have their internal software players play the clips at their proper frame rates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.