Edius 7.30 Update - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 04-24-2014, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I installed the Edius 7.30 today. I'm not sure what all the improvements are, but it does seem to load faster. Edius 7.21 was slow to load but extremely stable for all the editing I've been doing. AVCHD decoding is noted as being improved. I'll be testing that ASAP.

Joe Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 04-29-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No problems so far with the Edius update. It's stable and fast. I don't see any substantial changes in 3D features, but I may have overlooked them. Have you upgraded yet, Wolfgang?

Joe Clark

post #3 of 37 Old 06-07-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

NewBlue is giving away a license for Video Essentials 3 to registered users of Edius Pro 7. This is a powerful package. I haven't installed it yet, but I did install NB Titler Pro 3 ($99 as part of a Vegas Pro 13 upgrade) and it's performed very well in Edius 7.

Don't know how long this will last, so check it out soon.

Joe Clark

post #4 of 37 Old 06-07-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Have you upgraded yet, Wolfgang?

No not yet, Joe. In the last half year I did not find a lot of time for the video editing - and that is why I am a littel behind with some points.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #5 of 37 Old 06-07-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If you haven't tried it yet, Wolfgang, you'll want to take a look at NewBlue Titler Pro 3. It creates true stereoscopic 3D titles directly in the Vegas and Edius timelines (as well as After Effects and others). I upgraded as part of Vegas Pro 13, but it works with both Vegas and Edius after installation. (Can't remember if we covered this in a separate thread or not. smile.gif )

Joe Clark

post #6 of 37 Old 06-08-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Joe- I'm confused- The Sony Vegas Pro v13 deal was for $99 for New Blue Titler v1. The NB Titler 3 costs another $99. The Edius deal seems to offer v3 free but not Sony. Prior to Vegas Pro v13 NB Titler 1 came free. But it stopped working when I upgraded to v13. I've been thinking of getting NBT 3 but it is another $99 to upgrade. Total $198.
You can still set the NBT version 1 to do stereographic titles in render but you have to apply the Sony effect to the title generated media, an extra step. The other big addition in NBT3 is the ability to add video clips as texture maps, beveled fonts and vector based objects. I believe it also comes with a $49 deal to add 1 year subscription to After Effects. All total it is $247 for Vegas Pro13. Edius may have the better deal here.

If the version you got with Vegas Pro v13 upgrade was indeed NBT3 then I need to call NB and find out why my download was only NBT1.

Did a little more reading. according to a thread in Creative Cow, the reason I got stuck with v1 of NBT is because I upgraded to SVPv13 before Titler Pro 3 was released. I understand if I call Sony or NB I can still get NBT3 for what I paid before.
post #7 of 37 Old 06-08-2014, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

NB Titler Pro 3 costs $99 when you upgrade to Sony Vegas 13. It's a completely independent install, though, and it asks which programs you'll be using it with. I think it polls your system and provides the necessary hooks to the NLEs you use (not sure about that, though). It then shows up in Edius and Vegas (and other video editing programs such as After Effects). There's no need to buy an NLE-specific version.

The Edius offer is for NB Video Essentials 3, a different plug-in. NB is offering it free to registered users of Edius Pro 7. I found out about it on the Grass Valley Forum. I don't know if it will work with Vegas or not. Video Essentials doesn't do titles. It does things like image mapping. For instance, you could map a video to the side of a building, to make it look like the video was playing there. I haven't experimented with it in 3D yet, but seems to me the worst case is that you'd have to do the mapping twice for split right/left files.

Joe Clark

post #8 of 37 Old 06-08-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Joe- I got it worked out. NBT3 came out after many upgraded to v13 Vegas and we just got the version 1.0. After v3 was released you need to contact them to get a download and serial number for v3. I'm good now and just need to learn the differences, between 1.0 and 3.

During the install, you are right, it asks which NLE and I just slected Vegas Pro and it was available as well as NBT1. The notes said if you have NBT2.0 you need to install 3.o over top of that because both can't be loaded at the same time. 1 and 3 can be installed at the same time.

I can see this title software has many adjustments to learn. This is almost a learning curve like 3D studio. I need some shortcuts, templates etc as I would rather start with them and modify than design my own fonts. Let me know if you go that route and find something like that in their packages. I had to put it to rest and get a project completed so I could let it render over night. I will look into it more tomorrow.
post #9 of 37 Old 06-08-2014, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, the learning curve with NBTPro3 looks a little steep. There are many presets (templates) in the package - "standard" ones and even, for example, one that creates a "reflection over water" effect that I expect to use with a few shots in my Garden video. It's very powerful but will take some time to master.

Joe Clark

post #10 of 37 Old 06-09-2014, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

If you haven't tried it yet, Wolfgang, you'll want to take a look at NewBlue Titler Pro 3. It creates true stereoscopic 3D titles directly in the Vegas and Edius timelines (as well as After Effects and others). I upgraded as part of Vegas Pro 13, but it works with both Vegas and Edius after installation. (Can't remember if we covered this in a separate thread or not. smile.gif )

Well, I have not purchased the Titler Pro 3 and have not tried that software. It seems to be a nice piece of software. When I find the time I will deinstall the older Edius 6.5 and install Edius 7.3 - but at the moment that is not so much a priority of mine. Even if I would love to have more free time for that activities.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #11 of 37 Old 06-09-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Joe- Discovered that the stereoscopic mode in NBTP3 does not work in Vegas because it is redundant and produces 4 CG titles on the Vegas preview screen. Searched the Help files and they even warn about that. says to just use Vegas 3D preview tools and the 3D stereoscopic effect. Having some trouble with the secondary monitor remaining on when the NB player runs too. You have different video system plus can test in Edius. Curious if you see the same issues.
post #12 of 37 Old 06-09-2014, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Joe- Discovered that the stereoscopic mode in NBTP3 does not work in Vegas because it is redundant and produces 4 CG titles on the Vegas preview screen. Searched the Help files and they even warn about that. says to just use Vegas 3D preview tools and the 3D stereoscopic effect. Having some trouble with the secondary monitor remaining on when the NB player runs too. You have different video system plus can test in Edius. Curious if you see the same issues.

I still haven't installed the Vegas 13 upgrade, so my results might not mean much. I hadn't tested NBTPro3 in Vegas before your request. I pulled some Z10k clips onto the timeline, clicked the effects button for each and created 3D TP3 titles for each one. It worked as expected, with the appropriate 3D placement and extrusions. Alternately, when I generated a similar media clip (Menu>Insert>Generated Media) and then added it to the timeline above a clip, the title appeared in 2D. The text had "3D" attributes such as extrusion, but no actual z-axis depth. It was flat. This was just a quick test in Vegas 12, so take it for what it's worth. In no instance did I get 4 CG titles while previewing the timeline.

In Edius, 3D titles work the same as 2D - just with the added dimension. 3D preview works in Edius' program window without having to go full screen, so it makes 3D text adjustments that much easier. I edit with an LG 47" 3D passive display.

Joe Clark

post #13 of 37 Old 06-10-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I pulled some Z10k clips onto the timeline, clicked the effects button for each and created 3D TP3 titles for each one. It worked as expected, with the appropriate 3D placement and extrusions.

I didn't do it that way. I will try that approach and report back.

I only did it with Generated media which created the multitude of problems. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #14 of 37 Old 06-10-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Not much improvement. Still have the same loss of secondary monitor.

In addition, I cannot figure out how to adjust the Z axis position inside of the TP3 editor.

I'm curious as to how you used the NBTP3 for stereo 3D.

In TP3 did you set the project settings for SBS or None? There are only these two choices. When I set the TP3 for SBS in the stereoscopic Project settings, I get the 4 instances of the title when Vegas is also set for SBS. If I put the monitor in SBS then the 4 are back to two and my Vegas 3D video clip is in stereo 3D.

I recall you are using single monitor so I tried that two putting Vegas and NB on my Vizio and now I don't lose the secondary monitor because I'm using only the main window for 3D.

However, in no case can I adjust the Z axis position of the title in NBTP3. I have to revert to that adjustment in Vegas by adding the 3D stereoscopic effect to the title. That is how the NB help file says to do it too for Vegas Pro. Where in NBTP3 did you find a Z axis slider for positioning the title in 3D?

If I rotate the NB title in NBTP3 window in the sphere rotation, It will render the sides and depth of the text but in 2D only until I add the Vegas 3D stereoscopic effect and then it does a great job of interpreting the stereo perspective of the title.

Update- I figured out my secondary monitor problem. Forgot I shut off the GPU and that is required for NBT3 to work. Still have the other questions. With GPU on it renders a project nicely but I used Vegas 3D effect to control the title on the z axis.
post #15 of 37 Old 06-10-2014, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Add the NBTP3 title to the clip itself via the effects button. In the title creator, go to "Attributes/Object/Position/Z." You can use the slider to push or pull the title relative to the screen plane. You can use the other sliders to do much the same thing that the globe button does, but with more precision.

However, if I generate the title via Menu>Insert>Generated Media, it's 2D only. I can adjust the title back and forth via the stereoscopic adjuster, but the text object itself is flat. It has no depth. I haven't found out how to get around this yet.

Joe Clark

post #16 of 37 Old 06-10-2014, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't know how you're getting to a SbS or none setting in NBTP3. How do I get to it?

Joe Clark

post #17 of 37 Old 06-11-2014, 12:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Settings/Project Settings/Stereoscopic Output For Vegas Pro leave set to "None" Per Tutorial. This might just be for stand alone use. I discovered it when viewing all the menu items.

I tried your Attributes/Object/Position Z and it works but seems to have very limited range. Plus using that method, seems to limit the title to an event length or clip length. Using the generated media ( the way the tutorial suggests for VegasPro ) allows independent control over the 3D X axis position and you can still use pan and crop to place the title in the scene. 3D rotation, and perspective of the 3D title is still done inside NB TP3.
post #18 of 37 Old 06-12-2014, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

When I tried this Tuesday in Vegas, if I generated the media (Menu>Insert>Generated Media) and inserted it over the video clip, I got a 2D title, not one with true 3D attributes. I could apply a stereoscopic adjustment to it and bring it forward or back, but the text object itself was flat. I haven't experimented any more.

Joe Clark

post #19 of 37 Old 06-12-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

If you had set up keyframes and rotated the text object with 3D extrusion, you would have seen it renders a 3D object and has rotated in Stereo space. The whole paragraph will render on the Z axis, so that the left side of the paragraph comes forward while the right side goes back in a top view of the paragraph rotating counter clockwise. Pretty impressive as it appears as though this is a wire mesh vector 3D titler having 3D in all sides and renders in full stereo. If your text object does not have 3D it will appear flat as you observed. All this does not play in real time with 3D video so I do have to step through the playback one frame at a time. Also, the 3D titler rendering in stereo does not prevent occlusion when the video is on the Vegas timeline underneath. I wonder if using your method will allow for occlusion. In other words, have the text title disappear as it goes behind a foreground object in the video scene. If your method fails, then another thing to try is to import the 3D video into 3D titler timeline. I started to play around with that but what I tried didn't occlude properly. This may be too much to ask of this level of software. May been 3D studio to achieve that level of performance.

Did I mention I resolved the problem of losing my secondary display by updating to the latest 3D Firepro V8800 driver. The new driver that just came out this month fixed all the problems. It also renders quite a bit faster too. I now can play the timeline in V13 at 1080 30p Best Full with two 3D video streams. It still suffers dropped frames when the clips have several color correction effects added, however.
post #20 of 37 Old 06-12-2014, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have a lot to learn about how this works. Based on what I've seen so far, BBTP3 doesn't handle occlusions. I have several shots where that's going to be an issue I want to work around - mainly trees, branches, rocks, leaves and flower petals. Although it would be nice if the program could deal with it automatically, I'll have only a handful of shots where it's likely to be a problem. I can probably deal with them manually, but it could be a royal pain.

Joe Clark

post #21 of 37 Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, bite the bullet and pull the title out in front.

I did one with some translucency and was able to move a title through a fountain with water appearing in front of the title. It was a good effect I will save for a future project.
post #22 of 37 Old 06-28-2014, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Take care with the latest update of Edius 7.31b 1540b. There exists a bug in the preview of MVC files - maybe a bug in the MVC decoder. Results in flashes and some blocking with testfiles that work fine in Vegas.

The bug has been reported to the German Edius forum - has been reproduced and forewarded to the development team.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #23 of 37 Old 06-28-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the warning, Wolfgang. I haven't upgraded yet from 7.30, because it's been working so well. I've been clicking past the update notification for at least a couple of weeks now. I can't tempt fate at this point in my program.

Just to be clear, the bug is in the preview only, right? And not in the actual file output?

Joe Clark

post #24 of 37 Old 06-28-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Joe, I have not continued to test if that is in the rendered output too. But the bug has been confirmed in the German GV-Forum - but not even mentioned in the US-forum.

What a pitty. I do not have the earlier version, and it seems to be not available for the public download really. Means that I can wait and hope for an upgrade only.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #25 of 37 Old 06-28-2014, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang S. View Post
Joe, I have not continued to test if that is in the rendered output too. But the bug has been confirmed in the German GV-Forum - but not even mentioned in the US-forum.

What a pitty. I do not have the earlier version, and it seems to be not available for the public download really. Means that I can wait and hope for an upgrade only.
I have both 7.21 and 7.30. PM me.
post #26 of 37 Old 06-29-2014, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
I have both 7.21 and 7.30. PM me.
Thank you. A moderator in the German forum was so kind and has upoade the EDIUS_7.31_0962_DL_Full_Setup.exe for me.So it is fine.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #27 of 37 Old 06-29-2014, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm glad you were able to find a solution.

I did my first multi-camera editing in Edius tonight. It was a simple two-camera shoot for my parish. I discovered that when Edius pulls in AVCHD footage, it automatically stitches the clips together if the recording creates several files between start and stop. The individual clips are joined without the user having to do anything other than adding the clips. It takes a while to analyze and do the stitching, but all you have to do is wait for it to finish the process. Strange as it may sound, I've never done a project with clips this long before, so it was new information to me. Fortunately, multi-camera editing seems fairly straightforward and easy. It doesn't take long to get the knack of it. You can use up to 16 cameras. Very cool!

Joe Clark

post #28 of 37 Old 06-30-2014, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was debating whether or not to try Edius Pro, but I downloaded the trial yesterday from grass valley of both 6.5 and 7 and neither would start up, got error 15.0.0 on both when selecting start trial and I used a clean install each time.
post #29 of 37 Old 06-30-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearer69 View Post
I was debating whether or not to try Edius Pro, but I downloaded the trial yesterday from grass valley of both 6.5 and 7 and neither would start up, got error 15.0.0 on both when selecting start trial and I used a clean install each time.
What hardware are you using for the install? I built a dedicated 3D edit computer (six-core i7), but installs have gone well on other systems (i5 and a couple of less powerful i7s). It's worth pursuing a solution to the problems you encountered. Edius is powerful software.

Joe Clark

post #30 of 37 Old 06-30-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
What hardware are you using for the install? I built a dedicated 3D edit computer (six-core i7), but installs have gone well on other systems (i5 and a couple of less powerful i7s). It's worth pursuing a solution to the problems you encountered. Edius is powerful software.
I have windows 8.1 64bit, 16Gb ram, I7-3770k cpu, Nvidia 2Gb GTX 760, all watercooled, LG 3D monitor + LG 3d Passive tv as a monitor also. I would of thought this is high enough spec to run edius. I emailed grass valley regarding error code but no reply as yet. No way am I buying it at £500+ if the trial don't even work on my current machine.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page