Got a question about 3D pan stutter with most consumer 3D cameras. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-25-2014, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I've taken lots of 3D with my Panasonic 3D1 and Sony TD10 and have looked at other youtubes (many of those on this forum) of the same cameras and other 3D cameras. During pans, they all have the same weird stutter. It is not consistent with the shutter speed or frames per second. What I see is about every 2 to 4 frames there is a jump creating a very uneven stutter. Even when the camera has no movement, but the objects are moving (e.g. people), they move with an inconsistent stutter or judder. When I watch pans in 24hz commercial movies, I don't see this. Rather I see a consistent movement.

I am assuming that what is happening is the stabilizer in these noncommercial cameras is holding the image for a number of frames, then letting go for the next number of frames and so on.

I thought it might be the rendering software used for the videos, but I see this just looking at the output from the cameras. I understand that holding the camera very still and an extremely slow scan is the answer, but it doesn't explain the phenomenon I'm seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-25-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Part may be the monitor you are using. I see some stutter here too on my Vizio at 60Hz but my Sony Projector at 240Hz image refresh is absent of it on the same 24 fps ISO rendering.

When my video is being shot on a tripod, I always shut down the image stabilizer because you are correct about the letting go -jump look.

A third suggestion is that some of my older stuff I was shooting and editing with Vegas 10 and 11 did not interpolate properly and there would be an occasional jump in the horizontal image movement. Sony fixed that in later Ver 11 and the rendering is very clean in ver 12.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #3 of 6 Old 04-25-2014, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Aside from other possible reasons, check if the monitor's refresh rate is a multiple of your camera's fps. If it's not, it will definitely skip a frame every n frames.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-26-2014, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Guys, all good suggestions. I have an ASUS passive 3D monitor, and perhaps it is losing frames, although when I watch 3D movies on it, they look fine. I will check out some of these videos on my Optoma 131x projector and see if there is difference.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-26-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

I fixed it!!! I had my monitor set to 23hz--why I haven't a clue. I changed it to 60hz and all my 3D pans play like butter now. Thanks for your insight, I was going mad for a while trying different rendering programs.
Don Landis likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-30-2014, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah I'm going through the same thing here! Some smart TV's and device's play YouTube 3d fine others jump around. Still having trouble burning too ;0( MS13 on Blu-ray renders seems to make a poor job of 50i to 24p conversion for me lots of ghosting on movement and Judders every second MS12 does a better job it stops the judder but still ghost's a lot on movement. What settings are you using on the Blu-ray burn options screen? I know it'll not be perfect but I'm sure it can be improved. Slow movement and still scene's look great!
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page