Vegas Pro 13 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2014, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23

About this mobile editing thing I try to accomplish: as an airline Captain Boeing 737 I get to spend quite a lot of my spare time in other facilities than my home. That is the downside of an otherwise nice job, I don't have all my stuff at grasp for three quarters of the week. Once at home there are a million things that need to be done, other than video editing. So being able to do the editing "En-route" would mean I could finally catch up with the raw footage that I still have lying around..

As I've been flying, I have some experience in using mobile devices. I had a Medion, a Dell Inspiron, an Alienware and now the Vaio. The Inspiron and the Alienware had a tough live with me: mostly transported in the suitcase and we all know how groundstaff handles these.. Let alone the temperature variations set upon the laptops... Nonetheless, they rarely gave me a blue screen, if they ever did.. For a few years, the Alienware was the fastest piece of computer hardware in the house.

The Vaio is equipped with thouch screen. I must confess, I tend to more and more use it... Just found out McAfee (pre-installed) consumed 45% of my processor capacity when I had Vegas running... Not good.... So, away with McAfee. Just installed the latest nVidia drivers, I get full screen smooth playback of the footage using the media player. I decided to do a fresh Vegas install and remove Movie Studio 12 that was pre-installed. If that does not work out, I can start a live chat in 5 minutes...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 03:43 PM

After some chats and experiments (including running Vegas 13 Pro Edit doing a preview and simultaneaously showing a clip in Windows Media Player) it was decided that the most probable cause for discomfort is the fact that the Sony Vaio has two graphic cards: a Intel Onboard HD4400 and the nVidia  GeForce GT M735. Having the both of them working at the same time is most likely the cause of the problems. I tried to change the BIOS to disable the onboard graphics, but that is not allowed in the Sony Vaio, I can only disable the GeForce...

To be continued...

Old 05-21-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 164
In Vegas, turn on your Vegas GPU by going to Options/Preferences/Video. GPU is OFF, set it to your Graphics Processor. Exit out, close Vegas and restart and now you will be using your GPU. If Vegas crashes often at odd times, it may not be cooperating with your GPU driver. See if the Maker of your graphics card has a driver update. If not you may not be able to use your GPU for faster processing.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:22 AM

Did that Don, according to the nice lady from the "Live Chat" help desk, the problem might be that two GPU's are running at the same time. Managed to enter the BIOS yesterday and learned I can only switch off the GeForce, not the intel. I'll experiment with that, but to the best of my knowledge, the intel HD4400 should not be capable of running Vegas... I've sent the hardware guys an e-mail with the question on how to shut down the intel HD4400 so my system only runs graphics on the GeForce (thereby not conflicting with another Sony software product with which I inted to edit... Sony shot footage... Sony can't complain about this guys merchandise... once I registered my Vaio laptop, I noticed Movie Studio 12 Platinum appearing in my Sony software list that holds 3 programs now..)

Even if I can't get around this preview issue, I will be able to do editing. I can use the Windows media player to check the clips and see where abouts I need to trim. I reckon rendering won't be an issue. Anyone here can give me a hint to what media format I could try and render if I would want to make, say, 8 or so longer clips and put those 8 together in the final BluRay iso creating project? I know, it is a typical newbee question, so sorry, but so far all three of my projects went straight on to .iso (with help from you guys... thanks again!). There are so many output formats available that it dazzles me. I bet, one of you guys already experimented with that and figured out what format to render to so that you can cut making a project in to pieces i.s.o. one big project. 

On the 12th of May my dad, sister and myself went to Vienna to attend a funeral. We took the early flight and thereby had 5 hours to fill. We went to see the summer residence of the formar emperors. I experimented with making zooms and pans and do walking/filming at the same time. On some occasions, I walked too slow, on some too fast. Rendering to HD SBS YouTube causes some jutter that I don't seem to have in my BluRay iso. Going around the fountain, I used the Steady Filter of Sony to figure out if one can use that on 3D material, one can, however an occasional artifact comes with it.

I also experimented with objects up front and subject behind. And finally, shooting something (in this case a little bird that was right below my seat) and adjust 3D depth afterwards. That worked out fine, originally it hurt on the eyes, it does no longer.

Today is the big day, I had some practice but not really enough. So I need to learn on the go, heck, worse things can happen (like missing the flight).

For those of you that are curious about my Vienna experiment, here's the YouTube clip. It is a bit tedious I'm afraid..

Old 05-22-2014, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You can try the sony app play memories home it lets you trim, delete and preview mvc files to see what works. Youtube say there are copyright problems playing your file ;0(
Old 05-22-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Youtube say there are copyright problems playing your file ;0(

This seems to be a highly controversial topic. But the simple answer is that different countries have different laws and while a video may pass laws for one country it may be blocked in another. Here in the States, our copyright laws have some leeway in what we call "Fair Use" Fair Use, although written pretty specific in the law has suffered many different interpretations by our courts ruling over recent years. So much that nobody can say for certain what is legal or not even if you ask an attorney, you will often get different opinions. One of the best statements I ever heard was from one attorney that said there are parts of the law that you do not cross or you WILL be in violation. Other parts, while they may seem restrictive are not really protected. For example- If you use copyrighted music in your work but do so only for personal use and never make money on the work, you will not be found guilty of copyright infringement. But there is a second part to it and that is Don't use the Fair Use copyrights in a manner that harms the reputation of the copyright holder. Here it gets a little fuzzy, but guitarman512's work in my opinion never harms the reputation of SeaWorld, so I doubt they would have a case. If anything his work aids in promoting the Park in a very positive way. BUT, that's my opinion as a viewer. Because, seeing it I have incentive now to go to the park and enjoy some areas I have missed in the past.
Now we enter YouTube and their own interpretations of the International Copyright laws all over the world. I really don't understand all their detailed rules but often it seems you can get flagged for gross over enforcement. I have a nice collection of Music Buyout CD's here that I often use and even those will sometimes get flagged as a violation. When I send them a response that I challenge the claim, it usually just goes away. They use robot scanning to match your sound track to their database. In other cases I have been walking through a convention and shooting a demo at a booth and there is some music playing from another booth that ends up in the background. YT might block the work in some country who has a political issue with the music playing and issued a direct challenge.
The most ridiculous claim has been YT blocking one of their own free downloaded music selections that should have been cleared for use on YT. Go Figure!

So what does one do?
I divide my work into two very simple categories:
1. Commercial Production where the work is going to be used to make money, or be used in a way to benefit a commercial for profit venture where some of the benefit is returned to me personally. For example- Joe, has his Botanical Gardens video he hopes, maybe to sell one day. he has to be careful that all his copyrights are in the clear including model releases of anyone recognizable in the video. I've been down this road before, in court, so I know the drill. Guitarman's Seaworld, while it promotes the theme park likely derived no financial benefit from this production himself, was not hired by the Park nor did he even get free admission. It is ( in my opinion) clearly Fair Use here in the United States. Obviously, YT feels the same as I have no trouble getting it here.

2. Non- Commercial Production- Strictly Fair Use and if personal use only, you should not worry about being sued for and use of copyrighted work or shooting people in public places. But if you distribute copies of your work, now you have crossed the line and Fair Use has some limitations. Even if you hand out the copies for free. This is how teachers and schools have gotten into trouble and now most adhere to strict copyright distribution rules now.

The Distribution rule for Fair Use is where it gets a little gray in interpreting the law. Does publishing on YT constitute distribution? I don't believe there is any final word on this but You Tube has come up with its own set of guidelines and they believe they have a system to make the distribution and publication of various non-commercial work acceptable to all. My opinion is I will go with their rules since I am using their system for free. I won't worry over the exceptions that sometimes crop up.

I'm certainly no copyright lawyer, but I have been sued and won my case each time on copyright infringement. It's a scary way to get an education. I have attended many seminars on the legal aspects of field TV production and copyrights. I've attended panel discussions where even the experts on the panel couldn't agree on the law. So that is why I said above, this is how I manage it. The last thing I would want is to do something that cost me a ton of money for a cheap video that doesn't even make me a dime.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Jeroen- One question on your camcorder- Did you have the O.I.S. turned off? I saw lots of minir shake to the image that is typical of a camcorder with no Optical Image Stabilization.

I often switch it off for tripod pans and then forget to turn it back on for handheld. Sometimes I don't discover that until I get ready to edit.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
These are excellent points about copyright law, Don. If my video ever becomes a commercial product (unlikely), it will have to be in cooperation with the Missouri Botanical Garden. That's a prospect that is in no way guaranteed. However, I decided a long time ago that I would finish it, even if only a few family and friends ever get to see it. It's a hobby, first and foremost, and it's dedicated to my Godfather, who loved the Garden and spent thousands of hours there. With the dim hope that it might be marketable, I've taken a lot of shots that are framed so that no one is recognizable. In fact, the majority of shots have no people in them at all, which works very well for the most part. The problem with the exclusion of people in long shots is that it makes the Garden look empty. Since it averages over 900,000 visitors every year, that's unrepresentative.

Sound is a lot easier for me with this project. As far as I know, nat sound (at least in terms of the actual sounds of nature in a given location) isn't copyright-able. That's wind, water, bird and insect sounds, etc. I have plenty of it. For music, I'm using my SmartSound collection - which is royalty free. It includes several albums of natural and environmental sounds (although I have to be careful not to include, for instance, bird sounds that would not be heard at the Garden). I have over 30 albums, and I can custom fit music for each section down to a fraction of a second. I've used SmartSound for years and love the flexibility.

Things like maps, prepared graphics and similar support materials can't be used without permission. Fortunately, the Garden has volumes of these archived. I'd like to do some fly-overs with a quad-copter drone to create some of my own, but, again, that will require cooperation. This is a big, complicated project, which is one reason it's taking so long.

Joe Clark

Old 05-22-2014, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Jeroen- One question on your camcorder- Did you have the O.I.S. turned off? I saw lots of minir shake to the image that is typical of a camcorder with no Optical Image Stabilization.

I often switch it off for tripod pans and then forget to turn it back on for handheld. Sometimes I don't discover that until I get ready to edit.

Yep. My JVC TD1 MUST have IS turned off for tripod mounted pans and tilts.

Joe Clark

Old 05-22-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I was interested in filming at the local zoo until I read through their lengthy policy. For commercial use: 500.00 per 2 hours and 2 hrs was the minimum. 1500.00 per day, they needed to know a long list of information including liability insurance for 1,000,000.00. I of course made the quick decision to shoot elsewhere or just for personal use. You can pretty much rule out the all the bigger theme parks too, Disney, Sea World. They might not consider youtube commercial but you never know, what if you're making revenue from ads on your video? I've looked into certain parks too and locations and they might even have policies. You really have to look into each location first and see if something is stated.

What is everyone's opinion on filming random people? I know in broadcast if you're in a public area, it's fair game. For commercial use it might be different but I think for documentaries it might be considered a form of journalism and fall into the same rules. But if it were a commercial or movie, then it's an issue.

This line intentionally left blank.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tom- you are asking many questions that are in a gray area, often can only be settled by a case by case decision. But I do know that to be in the safe area of the law, if you shoot anything, even a documentary that is deemed commercial, then you must get releases on people even in public places, releases on logowear, releases on signage, This is why you will often see commercial TV productions pixel out this stuff in a shot. If it is truly non-commercial and you can show you never received any benefit at all from your work, these appearing protected images have no case. In civil law you have to show damages to win. Also, I emphathize with you on the requirements for shooting in that Zoo. Back in the 80's when I was producing my Video Cave Map™ series a couple locations were taken over by the state. I needed a permit and part of that permit required me to carry the Liability insurance which I did. The per day charges were waved when I agreed to donate my video copies to several Florida College libraries. ( A cheap tradeoff ) Then they gave me a 10 day window to complete my shooting. Sometimes these requirements can be negotiated even with the government.

My first problem with an accused copyright infringement was with Disney. Me and my Research team were invited to Epcot's Living Seas in the late 80's to teach a class in reef surveying and mapping, scientific data collection. We got a location to teach and Disney got a form of entertainment for their audience plus they could claim donating the location for education and science. As part of the class I shot a movie documenting our teams experience for the 2 week class. The video was distributed to 24 members of the class and 2 copies to Disney for their archives. About 6 months later I get a letter threatening a suit unless I collected all the copies of the video and turned them into Disney's legal office in 30 days. Their claim was that I violated the copyrights of the marine life in their facility as the "Fish" appeared in my video without a model release. I was hysterical with laughter but my attorney claimed Disney was serious. We called Disney back and explained to their "junior" lawyer, that there were copies only distributed to 23 members plus mine and that no money was made or charged for the memorabilia of the class. The call ended with me telling that lawyer to go ahead and sue me. See if a judge, will allow copyright protection on a bunch of fish. The lawyer said they will consider my statement and contact me with a decision. I never heard back from them. The next year, I was invited back for a second class. This time Disney sent in their own underwater cameraman and we didn't ever see the video. The third year we got invited back but after a vote, our team decided to decline. Main reason is 2 weeks time off is difficult to manage.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Joe- you can blur out the faces but distant shots of crowds where they are not recognizable is an accepted practice for inclusion. Close up shots, you'll need to blur or pixelate out the face or maintain a model release. I saw Vegas Pro now has this feature as an effect with tracking the movement but I haven't tried it yet.

When I shot my infomercials I carried model releases and pens on every shoot. The most difficult part was having to explain to people why I can't pay for a testimonial on a product or service because it was advertising. (FTC regulation). Won't you even give me some free samples? Nope! that constitutes payment too. A few would then refuse to sign and we would just put a cue on the tape to not use what was recorded. We also shot a video of the signing and a head shot with the person displaying his photo ID to document their age.

If I have a great looking shot with a good performance by a stranger in my documentaries, I ask for a model release even though it will not be commercial video. Then I pay a dollar. That is rare, however. In my Panama video I did pay a few street performers and paid the tour guides in cash for their images on camera. Street Performers got $3 and the speaking guide $20. I saw most of the tourists paid a tip for recording the guides. They did well for the day, probably several hundred $ in tips.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm getting flack from Youtube for using a classical guitar song, which is royalty free, but apparently was used by another artist who copyrighted the collection of songs. They are all over the map on this. And, if you look at the tons of crap video (all the fails for example), you can bet none of those have model releases. I think it's time to come up with a disclaimer that you put in the front of your videos that states for example,

"This video it is for personal use only, and all copyrights, products, music and sounds remain with the copyright holder or owner of any establishment, company, or person displayed in this video."

If a park or zoo does not want images of their venue shared, then they should not allow cameras in. Can you imagine if Disney did not want visitors taking pictures. They not only allow it, they encourage it with photo op signs.

I've been posting my Youtube as unlisted lately. That way they can still be shared by URL, but essentially remain personal--ie. not designated as "public."
Old 05-23-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Maybe you don't fully understand what it all means. ( Not that I do! smile.gif )

I, too. have been flagged for music that claims have been made by some unknown 3rd party after I paid a music library one time royalty for the drop. When that happens I usually challenge the claim, but not always. Since ALL my YT videos are NON-Commercial, not even receiving any revenue from YT for the ads they place over my content, I really don't care if they wish to pay a 3rd party a piece of the action as it makes no difference to me. In this case, according to YT rules, I simply check off that I acknowledge the claim made. According to YT, that's all it takes. In all my cases and likely 99.999% of the time, all the 3rd party wants is to be paid per click on my video. But there may be some cases where some artist doesn't want his work to be heard by others and he will contact YT and demand they pull the video down. If you paid and can prove it, you do have a right to challenge.

I don't think getting flagged for music that is not in the PD is a serious offense and per the FAQ on YT, just acknowledge it and forget about it. You may or may not see an ad to buy the album next to your player of your video.

I have one video, however, that I recorded of some Landis family members at a gathering singing "America" ( known as My Country Tis of Thee ). No sheet music or songbook was present. The gathering did not charge a gate fee to be there. It was sung from memory. A 3rd party laid claim to the song because they have a copyright on a special arrangement of it that they recorded with their own choir. I challenged the claim out of general principle and they challenged my challenge. I am now in appeal on it. The video has less than 200 views in 3 years. Why this claim for about a dozen people singing a PD song is beyond me. I suspect some companies make it a practice to derive revenues making false claims on millions of people as a way to generate revenue. If they get away with 10%, that's allot of money. Let's see where the appeal goes. If this appeal is denied, I wonder if I could get away with claiming I own the National Anthem? rolleyes.gif

I think YT has done a great job of coming up with a way for people to use copyrighted music in non-commercial videos while letting the original artists and producers who own the copyrights receive appropriate payment for the ads YT runs on your content. However, as with any system, there will be some who figure out a way to take advantage and scam even a big company like Google.

Quote:
I've been posting my Youtube as unlisted lately. That way they can still be shared by URL, but essentially remain personal--ie. not designated as "public."

Doesn't that remove you from YT search engine? You have to give a link to someone for them to see it. I have a few videos like that of family that is nobody else's business to see. They are private. Most have less than 5 views. However, one is of an Easter Egg painting party and the family sang the song Here comes Peter Cottontail for the kids. That private video was flagged and I had to acknowledge the song claim. It now has an ad for the music CD that no one ever sees. Go figure???? rolleyes.gif
Old 05-23-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Joe- you can blur out the faces but distant shots of crowds where they are not recognizable is an accepted practice for inclusion. Close up shots, you'll need to blur or pixelate out the face or maintain a model release. I saw Vegas Pro now has this feature as an effect with tracking the movement but I haven't tried it yet.

When I shot my infomercials I carried model releases and pens on every shoot. The most difficult part was having to explain to people why I can't pay for a testimonial on a product or service because it was advertising. (FTC regulation). Won't you even give me some free samples? Nope! that constitutes payment too. A few would then refuse to sign and we would just put a cue on the tape to not use what was recorded. We also shot a video of the signing and a head shot with the person displaying his photo ID to document their age.

If I have a great looking shot with a good performance by a stranger in my documentaries, I ask for a model release even though it will not be commercial video. Then I pay a dollar. That is rare, however. In my Panama video I did pay a few street performers and paid the tour guides in cash for their images on camera. Street Performers got $3 and the speaking guide $20. I saw most of the tourists paid a tip for recording the guides. They did well for the day, probably several hundred $ in tips.

I've been thinking about blurring faces in a few shots, although I'd be able to avoid it completely if I had to. Is the feature in Vegas 12?

Joe Clark

Old 05-23-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Joe- It a new effect in Vegas 13. It's called Witness Protection and is really simple to use. I just checked it out. You set keyframes to a cross hair for the center of a region to blur or pixelate, size the area and shape it, then set a keyframe. Advance the video to a new position and repeat the location, size, and shape if necessary. You can set up multiple regions of you have several people. Edge softness of the region is also variable.

V13 has quite a few new effects added including New Blue Video Essentials.

New Blue Pro Titler is also included. Lots of title features in this. This is a learning curve all by itself.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
For model releases, it seems that could potentially bring problems later. Once they're told about it, they're aware of it and could try to find a loophole in the clause, not saying that it would ever happen but with a suit happy country, who knows. I've just recently been checking into it, a few legal sites claim that it falls under fair use if it's in a public area. There is the recent tennis player Maria Sharapova case which footage of her was used in a documentary without her consent and the documentary side won.

From what some are saying, FIrst Amendment rights protect documentaries and news broadcast from these suits. On the other end, if it's used for commercial use like in advertising for a product or service, then not so much. But documentaries or news or advertisements for those projects are fine. Whether or not that is the case in every state, who knows or if it would hold up from judge to judge or jury to jury, who knows.

I completely understand the, "better safe than sorry" approach. I certainly wouldn't want to include someone in a video that didn't want to be in it. But in some instances, when filming large crowds, I don't see how you could possibly get everyone to sign something, not to mention keeping track of it all for years on end. Now you can digitize all of it but still...A very time consuming process. It definitely sounds like a gray area, one that really makes this hobby counter productive.

This line intentionally left blank.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

I guess allot has to do with reputation damaging or profiting from the video. Good info you offered on documentary status too. When I did my commercials, we once did one for a Bar / restaurant in NYC. There was that famous exercise star sitting at the bar drinking away with her friends. My boss, the producer went up to her and started up a testimonial conversation. Once done he tried top get her to sign it and I was concerned that she did appear quite drunk and made a decision not to use it but the Producer insisted against my concern. Sure enough, he got a call from her agent and lawyer threatening to sue. He lied and said he had a model release and her lawyer said it didn't matter because she signed it after drinking. In the end I convinced the producer to remove her piece from the show as he would lose in court. After the first week of airing we pulled the show and replaced it. A documentary like we do today usually is not a problem but I did one in Daytona beach in '96 called Bike Week '96 where we interviewed lots of people doing their crazy thing at Bike Week. Model releases all still in the files. Same for Spring Break Video I did for Penthouse Videos in Panama City Beach. You are right, need to safe the files forever. I don't worry about Disney except for the rare chance I catch someone on video there with a girlfriend and his wife sees it and he ends up in divorce. I would probably win but he sure would try to sue.

As an amateur, most of these fears need not worry. But if concerned roll "tape" on the person who you pay for video recording their image while you pay them and tell them how it will be used and get their approval. I say- Here's $3 for your image on camera, I may post it on You Tube, is that OK? Gosh, one guy on my last trip was really excited and even got out his government ID for me to video. If you are an amateur but show courtesy, most people will sign a model release, feeling flattered, unless they are trying to hide.

Another producer I worked for at USC, posted a sign in the Cafeteria stating Commercial Video taping. Your image may appear on TV. If you do not wish to appear, please do not enter this area. Entering this area constitutes your permission to appear on TV. He felt this satisfied the crowd appearance issue. Again, a commercial production.

Joe- I was inaccurate on NB Pro Titler in Vegas 13. It is just a preview copy with watermark.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Discovered another new tool in Vegas Pro v13.

I'll be able to make good use of this- Correct Fisheye For those wide angle lenses that add curvature in the corners, you can use this to fix that and maintain the wide angle. This will work nicely for those 10mm NEX5n lens shots. Of course they all work in 3D too.

The NB Titler Pro can be activated for a discount $99 vs. retail at $200. They say it works for all editors too as it is the full version. I believe the one we got for free in Vegas 11 and 12 only worked for Vegas Pro. The NB Titler Pro has 3D capability and you can manipulate the title in a sperical positioning on the Z axis. This means you could start a title in front of the screen (popout) and finish it way behind the screen plane. Then animate it in rotation to just the opposite. Texture mapping, bevels and shading lighting etc. Pretty powerful.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the updates, Don. I believe the New Blue titling package should work in Edius, too, so I'll definitely take advantage of that. Exciting stuff.

Joe Clark

Old 05-23-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

That's my understanding from reading the support forums, but obviously I can't test that. NBTP does launch inside Vegas Pro the same as other 3rd party plugins.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

My only reservation about NB is its history of instability in Vegas. I'll try it on my everyday PC first. If it runs stably there, I'll feel comfortable installing it on the main edit PC. I really liked earlier versions, and the stereoscopic 3D output will make it extremely valuable.

Joe Clark

Old 05-23-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

It never crashed for me today but I didn't take it into a render session yet. I'll keep you posted.

3D titles in NBTP is like any other 3D titler. You don't render it and then use that clip in Vegas. Instead if you want titles in 3D graphics, you have that with extrusions and maneuver position in a sphere rotation. You still would apply the stereoscopic placement and keyframed movements in the Vegas 3D stereoscopic effect. applied to the title clip on the timeline. It would be nice to apply that effect inside the NBTP window. and manipulate both the rotation and position AND Z axis placement all on one nested keyframe timeline. If that is possible I haven't figured that out yet.

I'll keep you posted if I see anything else.

The only bug I discovered in it is every time I switch out of the NBTP or into it, it kills my 3D preview monitor and I need to constantly click on that in Vegas and turn it back on.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I bought the upgrade to Vegas 13 today - and added NewBlue Titler Pro 3 for $99. I first confirmed with NB that Titler Pro 3 works with Edius. They provided a link to the latest build, which appears to be different than the one I downloaded from Sony. During installation, you're asked which programs you want to use with TP3, and Edius is in the list, along with Vegas and others. The serial number for TP3 from the Vegas Pro 13 purchase activates the program. They also provide a "quick start" tutorial on how to add a TP3 title to the Edius timeline. I haven't tried it in Vegas yet, but it works great with Edius on my everyday system. It's as easy as adding a regular title. Of course, there are lots of new parameters to learn, but it's just the 3D titling program I was hoping for.

Joe Clark

Old 05-26-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Not that I know squat about Vegas rolleyes.gif, but I am assuming you all stop your anti-virus and the internet when rendering. I have Microsoft Defender (free and limited distribution. Because of issues with monopolizing the market, they keep it low key and you have to search for it). Norton and McAfee, however, will lock up your computer for no reason. They both apparently use slow code from the past. McAfee appears worst, and I have removed it from many a friend's computer and it speeds it up almost 2X. Also, many of you might have background processes that poke the Internet every so many days, minutes, hours, seconds, etc.--clouds might do that, and subscriptions to Adobe, ITunes etc.. Malware can also act like a remote agent constantly sending data to a "mothership" about what you are doing--even the rendering packages can do this--in face some of these ask you when you are installing if you will participate in user feedback. Malwarebytes (search) is free for non-commercial use and will usually find the PUPs (Ad trackers) and Trojans (viruses) with a quick scan. Also, be careful of peer-to-peer programs like LimeWire, Kazaa and other torrent-based apps, etc. There are lots of these for music downloads, etc. Some legal and some not, but if you don't have the right profile set up, users of these programs can access your data on the fly without you knowing it. Lots of Cloud services, etc. use something similar. All these processes can interfere with rendering. I have to admit, I do rendering while casually browsing the Internet to avoid boredom, but for very intense (more than 5 minutes of video), I would recommend a completely isolated workstation. Also, every rendering program loads codecs to your machine, and this can be confusing to some programs, so you should limit your rendering apps to just one. I know most of you know this, but still I'm amazed at how we forget how complex and code-bloated the PC world has become. And above all, defrag your machines every now and then to avoid read/write heads from slowing down.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

SSDs shouldn't be defragged.

Joe Clark

Old 05-26-2014, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone know where to find some good tutorials on NewBlue Titler Pro 3's 3D functions? Haven't stumbled across much on the NB site. This looks like a very powerful 3D titling package that opens up a whole world of possibilities. In limited usage with Edius it hasn't caused any instability, but I've yet to tax the system or try a long render. With my LG passive 3D display, I get real time looks at changes I'm making in the titler composition window.

Joe Clark

Old 05-26-2014, 11:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

TVSTAR- I've been preaching most of your comments here for well over a year. For short renders I proceed as normal, but any render I do that is expected to take longer than 20 minutes, I usually pull the ethernet cable and disable my anti virus file scanner as it chews up time in the rendering process. I use AVG suite. It's not free but does a good job of keeping the system free of malware. I'm scanning my C drive every night. They also have a program to clean the registry file and I do that daily.

I have two programs that render, Vegas Pro and Power Director ( used rarely)

As Joe said SSD's must not be defragged and Windows won't even allow you to do it. What I do is direct the temp files folders to a fast RAID 0 HD drive array where I store library media and other archives used in many projects. This keeps the C drive pretty much free from temp read / write hits. I check for fragging but have yet to see it needing Defragged in over a year. Being 4TB that can take a long time. Most of it's capacity is read only files.

For projects, I use PCIe SSD cards that are very fast, faster than SATA SSD and give me enough storage for my largest projects. When the project is complete, I pull all it's content off and onto an external archive slow HDD for permanent storage. All the files for the project are in project folders.

When rendering the only other software I run besides the render app, is a Bottleneck analyzer so I can monitor the system and see what, if anything is causing bottlenecks in the rendering process. That also helps me determine what and where to upgrade my hardware for better performance.

Joe- I plan to get started this week viewing these:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/training/newbluetitlerpro
Old 06-12-2014, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Over four hours rendering a 70 minute project - video 100% rendered, and Vegas crashes. Plenty of room for temp files, Sony audio used. Typical. I'll reboot and try again.

Joe Clark

Old 06-13-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm running 50% on hour long project renders in Vegas - six attempts but only three completions. Vegas crashed late last night without giving me anything useful to track down the problem. After this first render attempt failed, I upgraded to the latest version of Vegas 12 (still haven't installed Vegas 13 yet), hoping it might resolve the problems. The next render completed, but I have about 10 render anomalies I've never seen in this project. In sections that never tripped up Vegas before, I see very serious blocking artifacts. I'll do the upgrade to Vegas 13, but if I can't resolve the issue, I may be forced to revert to an older version of Vegas 12. The quality of the exports from Edius hasn't changed - left/right AVCHD streams at 25 mbps average, 50 mbps peak. Vegas has always handled the Edius exports extremely well, losing minimal image quality in previous renders to Blu-ray 3D 24p at 25 mbps.

So, the question is, has anyone else experienced blocking artifacts or a decrease in the quality of renders in newer versions of Vegas? This is a very disturbing development. It's the kind of thing that makes me so reluctant to make any changes to a system mid-project. But Vegas' frustrating tendency to crash after hours of rendering made me risk it. As usual, I'm regretting the decision.

Joe Clark