Vegas Pro 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Has anyone upgraded to Vegas Pro 13 yet? Sony is offering special deals on Vegas packages, but I'm waiting for reviews on stability and the added value of new features before I bite.

Joe Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Stability seems pretty good to me on V12. I've been working on my Panama Canal Video for the past week and it has yet to crash. I did rehoot the computer a couple days ago when the Windows security update forced me to. I also added the PCIe storage, replacing the SSD work drive. This thing does not bottleneck and my renderings get done about 40% faster. Anyway, I will probably buy the upgrade next week.

I was also thinking of testing Edius. I see they have the competitive upgrade. To do 3D do I need the suite version of the basic Edius Pro? I know nothing about the product other than what you have posted here. Need to read up on it I suppose.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have Vegas Pro 12 now, but just about the only thing I use it for is creating Blu-ray 3D discs. I probably don't need to upgrade. As for Edius, the basic Pro 7 version will tell you if it might be worth adding to your tool belt. Seriously, I doubt it, but I would be curious what you think of its preview speed. Of course, that's apples to oranges, since I use an nVidia card and you use the AMD.

Joe Clark

Old 04-29-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Joe- I looked at the Specs of Edius Pro and the key features list show it will export timeline to Blu Ray Disk. So why do you need Vegas Pro for that output if Edius supports it?

I looked up the prices and it seems the Academic version is $149. I'd have to get my daughter to buy it since she is a school teacher. smile.gif
Old 04-30-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Joe- I looked at the Specs of Edius Pro and the key features list show it will export timeline to Blu Ray Disk. So why do you need Vegas Pro for that output if Edius supports it?

I looked up the prices and it seems the Academic version is $149. I'd have to get my daughter to buy it since she is a school teacher. smile.gif

It exports to Blu-ray, but not Blu-ray 3D. It's a 2D-only feature, so bottom line you end up in Vegas at the final stage anyway. Of course, that IS a great price - lower even than the Grass Valley cross-grade pricing. Far be it from me to discourage anyone from exploring other editing options. I certainly have. But, your history in the Sony ecosystem makes me think you won't get that attached to Edius. You know how NLEs are: everything little thing you do is just different enough to cause you grief. Where's that icon? What's that keyboard shortcut? How do I get out of this mode and into another? It's enough to make you weep. biggrin.gif

Joe Clark

Old 04-30-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
It's enough to make you weep.
Yes, that is true but what bothers me more about learning a new NLE is thinking I can do something, struggling for hours to find out that feature isn't supported yet. I'm thankful that you and Wolfgang are there to keep me informed on these other systems. That way I can know what I am missing without spending the money. smile.gif

As for Vegas 13, I don't really see much advantage in it for what I am currently doing but the cost is minimal. I want to stay current just for the bug fixes and updates.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That is right. Especially for s3D there is not much new in Vegas Pro 13. Howevere, there may be some of us who think about to migrate to 4K-s3D. There one would have an advantage with Vegas Pro 13, given the better support for 4K. But most of us may tend to wait for 4K I think.

But the upgrade price is minor, especially within the promotion period. Sure, that is what will make it more interessting.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
Old 04-30-2014, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Wolfgang gets the scoop before any of the rest of us. smile.gif

If I upgrade to Vegas 13 now, it will be on my everyday system, not my main editing PC. My main rig is humming along nicely, and I've made some serious progress the last few weeks on that massive, never-ending Botanical Garden project. I don't want to install anything else on that PC for now. I render a section of high quality, high bitrate 60i 3D video from Edius, then let Vegas convert it to Blu-ray 3D at 1080/24p. Vegas 12 does that VERY well.

Joe Clark

Old 05-01-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well, that advantage to purchase Vegas Pro 13 within the promotion period of SCS is that it will be cheaper. Sure, at the moment Vegas Pro 12 does a very good job. But the further development will take place with Vegas Pro 13. So in the medium and long run it is clever to purchase the upgrade now.
Don Landis likes this.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
Old 05-04-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Just did the upgrade since I just completed my Panama Canal video. Got started with V13 and had no issues all day. Ran smoothly. Need to get used to a few changes in where buttons are located but other than that it seems to be pretty stable. There was one bug I had in V12 that appears fixed in V13 which is nice. V12 would always open up the crop / mask window and the effects list when I clicked on the effects list in the clip.

I haven't looked at DVD Architecture yet. I wonder what's so different they call it v6.0 as opposed to 5.3? I really have no need for DVD Architecture anymore. Wake me up when it does 3D menus and DTS audio like Power Director.

Hopefully someone will order in New Blue Titler and report on it. I didn't order that since the last time I paid for it it kept crashing Vegas. Hopefully that is fixed.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23

Today I did my very first Vegas project. Rendering toward a 1080 50i Blu Ray .iso went very smooth. Unfortunatly, this Blu Ray .iso is not recognised as being 3D content by my Iconbit media player, where it did recognise the 1080 24p 3D Blu Ray coming out of Sony Movie Studio. So, next try is getting Vegas to create a 24p Blu Ray. Now the process of rendering to 1080 24p Blu Ray iso looks less smooth then the rendering toward the 1080 50i Blu Ray: the progress indicator sticks at 69%, the frame counter at 11.804. Only 25% process activity indicated in my taskmanager. Anyone else that had this problem? I'm thinking to let it go for an hour or so just as long as it shows "Active" in the taskbar. Hoping it is just a screen hanging... Figured out temporary rendering files are kept in C:\Users\Jeroen\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Pro\13.0\~BdMux0081fd73\media. Refreshing this screen from time to time should give me an indication whether the program is really doing something or not. ... and it is not :-((  

Temporary file size does not change. OK, let's cancel this rendering and see if Sony Movie Studio can come in handy. Will be a two step after all then..,

At Joe: Guitarman512 gave me the tip to create Blu Ray .iso in Sony Movie Studio. Would that not have been a cheaper option for you since you don't do editing in Vegas? When this attempt crashes, I'll try and render the Vegas Project and pul it through Sony Movie Studio to see if that can get my edited file on to a 1080 24p 3D Blu Ray....

Old 05-05-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergj69 View Post

Today I did my very first Vegas project. Rendering toward a 1080 50i Blu Ray .iso went very smooth. Unfortunatly, this Blu Ray .iso is not recognised as being 3D content by my Iconbit media player, where it did recognise the 1080 24p 3D Blu Ray coming out of Sony Movie Studio. So, next try is getting Vegas to create a 24p Blu Ray. Now the process of rendering to 1080 24p Blu Ray iso looks less smooth then the rendering toward the 1080 50i Blu Ray: the progress indicator sticks at 69%, the frame counter at 11.804. Only 25% process activity indicated in my taskmanager. Anyone else that had this problem? I'm thinking to let it go for an hour or so just as long as it shows "Active" in the taskbar. Hoping it is just a screen hanging... Figured out temporary rendering files are kept in C:\Users\Jeroen\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Pro\13.0\~BdMux0081fd73\media. Refreshing this screen from time to time should give me an indication whether the program is really doing something or not. ... and it is not :-((  

Temporary file size does not change. OK, let's cancel this rendering and see if Sony Movie Studio can come in handy. Will be a two step after all then..,

At Joe: Guitarman512 gave me the tip to create Blu Ray .iso in Sony Movie Studio. Would that not have been a cheaper option for you since you don't do editing in Vegas? When this attempt crashes, I'll try and render the Vegas Project and pul it through Sony Movie Studio to see if that can get my edited file on to a 1080 24p 3D Blu Ray....

I've had MS12 freeze up trying to render Blu-ray. MS13 has just had an update and that seems better - I also followed Don's advice and disconnect from the Internet and close my virus checker while rendering. Also if your videos have a lot of movement - even people walking about, you are better rendering to 720 50p. SSSSlolowww pans and zooms are required for 24p ;0/

Also in Movie studio and power director I've had freezing rendering the timeline if it gets to a clip it does'nt like!!! Just trim a second or so off and it should be ok. If you cant see the offending clip use a calculator to find the most likely offender. biggrin.gif
Old 05-05-2014, 09:57 AM

Ohh Yeah!! the perils of converting 1080 50i to 24p - the main reason most of the forum guys have now got Panasonic Z1000 cameras. A bit big for me though. Wolfgang published a method a while back that involved slowing down the footage by 4% it looks quite involved and I'm not to sure of all the steps but I'm sure it gives very good results. I will say that for watching on my 55" Toshiba passive 1080 50i rendered to Half SBS looks great - very smooth. Just not very sharp on my 120" screen though ;0/
Bergj69 likes this.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

A problem I had in the past was the temp files, especially when building the *.iso image final compilation. This became a real problem when the default was the C drive and I switched to a smaller SSD C drive. The freeze up was due to running out of C drive capacity for the temp files and any paging that was needed. I have now been using a separate drive for all my temp files and this speeds up rendering as well. The only thing being accessed on my C drive is Vegas and the windows OS. The temp stuff all goes to a dedicated SSD. The source project and video are all on a PCIe storage. And I save out the final iso file to a dedicated HDD. Separating these files to different drives eliminates the waiting for seeking, reading and writing. last, one final trick in increasing speed is to use different storage controllers for these drives as well. It is amazing how much time can be saved in rendering by isolating each operation to different drives and controllers.
Bergj69 likes this.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:07 AM

I decided to give "EndItAll2" a go and stop all unwanted/desired/useless-and-so-on processes on my desktop. On top of that, I cleared the other temporary files. Guess what? It worked! Will check the .iso shortly on my 110" screen.

Back with an update shortly! And Don: thanks for your Vegas tips in the TD20 thread! It so happenes my son knows quite a lot and gave my some nice demos. On the other hand, I could teach him to what format he had to render his 2D content ;-) We will both carry our laptops on our up coming USA holiday and agreed with the girls we can get 1 hour and a half editing time each night. This way we don't have a massive amount of footage to edit once we are back at home. And my son can help me out when I can't figure out what to do how ;-)

Old 05-05-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Your son should upgrade his Vegas so you two are on the same playing level. There have been several major changes from v11 to v13.

The most I do when traveling is to do a quick screen of the clips to make sure I'm getting what I need and then the rest of the evening is spent moving the clips to a hard drive to make room in the camcorder's memory for the next day.

Also, unless things have changed you can put a second install of Vegas on your laptop for the same license key. No need to buy another copy.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:23 AM

Thanks for that tip Don! Just came out of my man cave to see if the 24p setting gave me 3D play back. OK, that did not work either. Just saw in my properties of the project it was not set to 3D.. Hm, I thought it did this automatically when I dragged in the first clip, but, apparently, it didn't. Now, what 3D setting would I need? I don't want SBS, anaglyph so, my guess would be either "blend" or "difference". Setting the properties of the project to 3D will very likely dramatically enhance my changes in getting a 3D Blu Ray. Until I read a reply on what to set, I put my money on "difference" for the reason I believe that this is how my cam records 3D stream, recording the difference between left and right... Next guess, "pixel format".... 8 bit seems low. So 32 bit floating point, but .. there's two of those.. Video levels or full range. Betting on video levels for now...

Old 05-05-2014, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergj69 View Post

Movie Studio would be cheaper, but I prefer staying with Vegas Pro. There might be just enough difference to make me regret it.

Joe Clark

Old 05-05-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

It doesn't matter what setting you use in Properties as long as you have it set to some value of 3D. the alternative is 3D OFF and you certainly can't get 3D if you have it off. smile.gif It could be anaglyph or line alternate or SBS. That setting will fix the timeline to 3D, BEFORE you drag your clips to it. It has nothing to do with the render output. But you have to set it to 3D mode for the timeline to support 3D clips. If you don't some clips will show up in a SBS look and others that are frame packed will show up as two video clips on two tracks. You don't want either of these as they are 2D representations of your 3D video.

Set your Properties to a 3D mode and THEN drag the 3D clips to the timeline. When you get ready to render, you will determine the rendered output there.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I was confused by that when I started using Vegas. It seemed like setting a 3D mode in properties should just determine the type of 3D display you'd get. It did, but more importantly it turned on 3D editing mode.

Joe Clark

Old 05-05-2014, 02:27 PM

OK, that helped, I have 3D, thanks! But.... somethings did not work out as I had expected:

1. I could not hear the music I had put underneath the tracks, I did during preview.

2. Some shots were out of focus where the were not in the trimming screen, nor in my Movie Studio iso

3. It might be just me, but I still have this feeling that the result I got from Movie Studio had more depth.

I'll try to make a short clip so you guys can have a look and tell me what you think.

One thing I did learn: I could not see too much difference (or actually: no difference at all) between the 1080 25p or the 720 50p versions. Apart from the fact it took Vegas longer to render the latter.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:08 PM

I Dont know if its quite the same in pro but in MS you can set render to best quality in options. How is movement looking at 24p?
Old 05-05-2014, 05:12 PM

Either i had not enough movement or Vegas does a good job at creating the 1080 24p files. Resolution puzzles me... What is the better, 1080 24p or 720 50p? My gut feeling would say the 1080 24p, but I am not quite sure what the move from 50 fps interlaced to 24 progressive frames per second does when it comes down to pixel level. In that, I trust my eyes, they could see no difference. Then again, both the Iconbit Mediaplayer as wel as the Yamaha Video receiver might have a say in this...

Just completed the first of the two comparison video's using the exact same clips from the cam.

I ran in to strange phenomena: clips that turned out black when put in the project. Closed program, started program, reloaded the same clips, guess what, it played again?? It appears the first clip opened turns to become the black one.. So I choose a clip that I didn't plan to use. Giving me back the clip I did want to use. A similar event in Vegas..

Just set up a quick project in Vegas, using the same clips but not precisely cut in the same way. Before entering the media in the project, I set the properties to 3D. Rendering appears to go a wee bit quicker in Vegas. I did not do a big job here, just a few titles, a crossfade and one MP3. The goal is to see if I get similar depth in both ISO files. After having played with Vegas today, I do see it's added value compared to it's little brother Movie Studio.

Should things work out such that I get similar depths on both, I'll make another comparison for you, selecting some clips with movement: 1080 24p and 720 50p.

Now it is bed time down here! Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Issues and possible explanations-

Bug suspect: The clips not playing sound problem-
I suspect this is an issue with computer ram not being released properly by Vegas due to a coding bug. I have seen this "bug" as well with v12. Not enough experience with v13 yet to say I have seen it yet but your report has me suspect it still exists. As with all things in Windows, the solution is to reboot the computer and/or restart the Vegas program to recover high memory. Note- I'm not talking about the RAM you install but rather the cache ram that is resident on the CPU. I have also seen this non- release of cache ram with other software that shows up in other ways and on different computers too. I'm thinking it is a CPU or Windows bug more than a Vegas bug. The video clips showing up black- same suspected source for the problem.

What mode to render at? 720P or 1080p with regard to motion or image detail.

This is a decision that needs to be made based on the NEED to see detail in the image or NEED to show smooth action. In each there is compromise. Vegas render engine since V11 has done an excellent job of creating good conversion from 59.94i to 23.976p in NTSC when working with TD10 video format. Motion is very well converted and smooth as any film motion picture is done. It does not have the same smoothness as TV video that is 59.94 frames per second in NTSC standard ( ATSC ). But using 720p60 rendering will smooth out high speed to appear more video like than film like. Keep in mind the difference between video smooth motion and film smooth motion is very subtle. If you are seeing stutter and frame jumping, that is another problem and is related to either judder caused by too fast panning for 24 fps SMPTE standards, or is caused by improper interlaced field order, or due to just a poor render engine. Most people watching a slow frame rate of 24 fps will quickly get used to the smoothness and no issue is observed. "It's just a film look" Heck, years ago when 8mm film came out we got used to 18fps film as acceptable motion, although 24 looked much better.

On the other hand, 1080p24 offers a noticeable improvement of image detail that is hardly noticeable on smaller 55" screens but I can see an obvious softer look on 720P vs. 1080p. As all my work is designed for my 105" projector screen, I make a choice to use 1080 24p rendering on all my projects regardless of what mode I shoot in. However, I still try to shoot in 1080 24p if those cameras can be used in the environment of my project. This allows me to reduce render time and, theoretically, make for a more accurate render. Honestly, though the Vegas render engine is so good at converting TD10's 59.94 interlaced video to 24P I can't tell the difference.

As part of the chain of presentation, my Sony Projector can run at 24P or 60P but also can run at 120 Hz or 240 Hz refresh rate. In the 240 Hz mode, the motion smoothness even with source at 24P FPS, the action looks video, not film like. As most of my projects are documentary content, I watch in 240 Hz refresh rate and it has that video look. I just don't shoot projects that would be best viewed with a "film look" 24 fps. So, even though I may be shooting 24 fps and render to that for Blu Ray compatibility, I watch in a mode that smooths it out to look like video.

Regarding depth variations-
Most of us are well aware that depth in stereoscopic 3D is a variable dimension, unlike width and height of the image. The variable is controlled by a number of factors such as viewing distance and angle to the viewing screen, shooting IA, lens focal length, to name a few. IMO, it is futile to do comparisons of depth in an uncontrolled experiment where variables are all uncontrolled. Even most projectors will have a depth slider where you can adjust the depth experience of what is displayed. In the editor, when shooting with a file set that is already paired, the depth exaggeration can be adjusted by accessing the horizontal slider in the 3D effects. If you do not adjust anything then depth range from one edit software or render mode should not affect the outcome unless something got changed. I once heard one fellow insist there was a bug in Vegas because he kept claiming the 3D didn't look natural. Turns out he had the flip left and right checked and the particular clip he was using to test with didn't make that obvious. Flipping left and right can happen anywhere along the way. Have to make sure it isn't changed in your monitor and then you correct that in the editor. That would be bad for watching on other monitors.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:17 AM

As is the case on many occasions Don, you were absolutely right! Restarted the computer, no problems. Exact same 3D in the Vegas output as wel as in the Movie Studio output. Far more than on my first attempt where I first started on the project, then "burned" the Blu Ray, noticed no 3D, then changed the project settings to 3D (that I thought would be in 3D since I had clicked "yes" to a question about project using same settings as first clip), burned the iso again and had a form of 3D that was not as good as I just saw. That last bit was the result of your suggested work flow, first change the project settings THEN add media. Which meant: start all over... Reason why, in that stage I reasoned this to be a good comparison: the only variables I had different was the editing software. I can't recall using a slider for 3D depth in either program. Movie Studio is easier to produce a 3D output than Vegas, it had asked me the same question about aligning the project settings with the first added clip and, when it comes to burning the iso, you actually can click on a 3D Blu Ray Icon, leaving less options to mess things up there. Since I had followed the instructions from the help file (apart from the workflow, e.g. Set project settings before adding comtent, rather than half way the editing process) and had not touched any left-right box, nor moved any slider, I reasoned the less depth was something Vegas had done. So, I now know how important the correct project settings are, since I just saw awesome 3D, I have made those settings the default (I won't be doing much 2D).

So far for the good news.... But... The result of the Movie Studio editing gave me my selected back ground music where Vegas did not... I clicked some of those picture's of speakers on the left of my MP3 track in Vegas, they were set to "rear" speakers, I deselected those and selected both front speakers. I want the music out of my two main speakers. By changing that I got to the stage there was no music at all.... So, only one more thing to settle on short notice and I can do the basics.

About sharpness and motion, 1080 24p vs 720 50p (or 60p). I noticed one panning movement was too fast. Since there is no sound that is useful in that piece, I will try the slow motion feature of Vegas, extend the clip by 5 or so percent and see what happens.

And on top of that, I'll watch the web editorial GuitarMan512 suggested AND take a look in the help file on how to add music.

Keep you all posted!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:13 AM

And, just ran CC cleaner. Son had his notebook refreshed, new 64 bit Windows 7, upgraded to Vegas 13 Pro. This morning he mentioned to look into getting a second Cx155. Set up a rig... Isn't it funny?
Old 05-06-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Don:

When you render to bluray, what do you set the bit rate at in Vegas? I know it will go up to 40mbps. Movie Studio 13 keeps it at 25mbps. I've read that the bluray template cannot handle the very high mbps properly.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:24 AM

GuitarMan512: that Webminar was great! My second ever Vegas Pro project is hopefully working out as I would want it. Should it be worth it, I'll post the result on DropBox.

OK, for the good news: good 3D, titles where want them, music sounds. Less news: I must be doing something wrong in the settings.... on movement I get horizontal lines, must have something to do with interlace... I'll see if I can figure out in the Manual what to do, or perhaps someone here beats me to it!

Rendering was fast: less than double the time of the video it self. Not bad considering it had to do some slowmotions and... re-render 1080 50i to 720 50p.

Once I get rid of those horizontal stripes, I'll put it on DropBox

Edit: set de-interlace to "blend" and ticked the box thas Vegas optimes source to project.
guitarman512 likes this.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Don:

When you render to bluray, what do you set the bit rate at in Vegas? I know it will go up to 40mbps. Movie Studio 13 keeps it at 25mbps. I've read that the bluray template cannot handle the very high mbps properly.

Vegas Pro defaults to 25 Mbps. I use the template setting in Tools/ Burn disk/ BluRay Disk and then just select image.

There is a way to render left and then right eye files at up to 80Mbps average under Variable bit rate in the Render As section but this does not create a compilation file set for 3D. You will then need one of the Professional 3D compositors to create your. 3D file set for mastering a commercial 3D BluRay disk. The audio must also be rendered separately and an external Dolby or DTS encoder used.

I do not know why Sony and others limit consumer level output to 25 Mbps. Maybe it's a licensing issue like the 3D menu limitation. Maybe it's the fact that supported consumer camcorders don't shoot higher than 25Mbps in 3D. I believe the JVC TD1 shoots at 28Mbps or maybe it's 35 but that is not a supported MVC camcorder.

Note that it isn't that Sony doesn't support these higher bit rates, its just they offer the higher bit rate for professional level work flows. I believe it was one of the Sony trainers who once told me the bluRay burn disk function in Vegas is for review copies more than commercial distribution.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Vegas Pro defaults to 25 Mbps. I use the template setting in Tools/ Burn disk/ BluRay Disk and then just select image.

There is a way to render left and then right eye files at up to 80Mbps average under Variable bit rate in the Render As section but this does not create a compilation file set for 3D. You will then need one of the Professional 3D compositors to create your. 3D file set for mastering a commercial 3D BluRay disk. The audio must also be rendered separately and an external Dolby or DTS encoder used.

I do not know why Sony and others limit consumer level output to 25 Mbps. Maybe it's a licensing issue like the 3D menu limitation. Maybe it's the fact that supported consumer camcorders don't shoot higher than 25Mbps in 3D. I believe the JVC TD1 shoots at 28Mbps or maybe it's 35 but that is not a supported MVC camcorder.

Note that it isn't that Sony doesn't support these higher bit rates, its just they offer the higher bit rate for professional level work flows. I believe it was one of the Sony trainers who once told me the bluRay burn disk function in Vegas is for review copies more than commercial distribution.

I shoot at 34mbps on my JVCs. These 3D files drop straight into Edius' timeline. I use Edius' anti-flicker filter on virtually all my interlaced footage. It works wonders to reduce interlace to progressive flicker anomalies. I render everything from Edius with 10bit accuracy, which results in virtually no banding issues (although encode times are very slow). Exports are at very high bitrates (25mbps average, 50mbps peak). The results have been excellent and file sizes very good. I pair the left/right files in Vegas 12. Vegas does a great job of converting 60i 3D footage to 1080/24p at 25mbps, especially since I shoot with slow pans and tilts (and often add a 50% slo-mo effect if I can). I see some softening and loss of fine detail, especially during pans, but it's infinitely better than it was in earlier versions of Vegas. 25mbps is actually sufficient to yield very high quality FullHD 3D footage with this workflow. I also have none of what looks like interlaced field reversal. That was a constant problem for me early on.

Joe Clark