I bought my first BR burner/player. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-26-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I bought my first BR burner/player.

I know there is a difference between an internal BR for my desktop and an external player. What I don't know is how many differences there will be. Off the top of my head, I'm reminded of my first CD burner and the types/formats it would burn and what my standalone player would play. VCD's/SVCD's and Sony standalones did not play well. Then with my first DVD burner, I learned more about brands of discs, single layer v. dual layer and even then, I'd occasionally read about formats - divx? - that certain players would play.

With HDTV, there is a whole different kettle of fish to deal with. So...if anyone wants to start casting lines, I'll read 'em. Seriously, before I bought my Vizio, I'd think about BR burners just for storage purposes and don't even know what kind of time frame I should be looking at for burning discs.

I don't get a lot of time that both pain and stress levels are not only low enough but coincide with high enough energy to spend some of the time to look up a lot of this, so I'll understand if a lot of you don't want to rehash some of the same info that you've covered many times before with others (candidly, I bought the drive late last week but have not gotten the energy to install it yet due to a hard drive crash.)

But I did finally get around to buying one The stats: XP Home 32 bit w/SP3 and a 14x LG OEM model WH14NS40 connected via DVI-HDMI cable that has been playing things great - well, not the BR player yet - as well as being a great monitor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-27-2014, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Not sure what you are asking, but with Bluray Burner/Player in a PC, you will need software (PowerDVD14 for example) to read the BR movie, etc. and push it to your screen. You typically need Bluray to play the latest movies in the best HD 1080p resolution. DVD gives less resolution, but can also be played on a BR player along with most other formats. They should be listed on the BR box or instructions.

An old XP machine isn't going to get you much, though. You will also need a good video card, a reasonable amount of ram (2gb-4gb), plus a good processor (CPU). If not, your BR image will most likely stutter and freeze. Unless you have a real need for going through your PC, an external Bluray player is really your best option, and they are getting a lot cheaper. And, if you want 3D, well that's a whole different ballgame in terms of a PC that is required, and 3D Bluray players are pretty cheap as well, but require a specially designed TV or computer screen to work. Since you posted this in a 3D forum, I suspect that is what you are aiming at. I can't begin to describe what you will need for your PC to work, but it would have to be one of the current PCs available and there are different screen types, such as passive-polarized glasses, Nvidia shutter glass-driven, and DLPlink shutter glass-driven frame sequential displays.

As far as burning with Bluray, the discs are more expensive, but getting cheaper and hold a lot more information, and can be used for saving large amounts of data--ie. backing up your PC hard drive, holding photos, etc.

In terms of copying or ripping commercial discs--ie. bluray movies, well that is a copyright infringement and is illegal--and at a minimum requires specialized software that is typically not newbee friendly to use.

Explaining what you are trying to achieve would better help forum members to answer your questions.

Last edited by threed123; 06-27-2014 at 06:32 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-28-2014, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

It was getting late for me yesterday, but it's even later now, so clarity of my questions usually does get worse. I think what I was asking was:

1) Just as I could install a DVD burner in my computer and play - I'm presuming, as it's been a while since I've done it - retail DVDs through the connections between the player and the motherboard/video card/audio card or chip/ and cabling between my computer and the HDMI input on my month old 3D HDTV set and DVD burner, the same applies to the BD Burners (with the exception I can now play BD discs)? Same, if I wanted to burn many hours of music files to a BD, I would be able to listen to the music? OR... is there some kind of paranoid chip that would prevent it that didn't with DVD burners?

2) The internal BD burner came with a number of Powerlink 3D programs so I'm legal, software wise, and have read about people converting 2D to 3D - and of course I have boatloads of 2D discs and some of the sw says it can do it on the fly. The importance of running things through the computer is just that the old set was much bigger than my computer monitor and the new 3D HDTV is much better than the old set. Of course, that's always at the root: sometimes old equipment built before newer anti-piracy hardware is thought of. While the vid card boasts of BR playback, it does only have 512 MB GDDR3 memory. And while I have four gigs of system RAM, XP can only see ~3.4 of it. Space is tight, so while my audio is my weakest link, it's also a 5.1 speaker system, so it will have to do as is for a while.

So ultimately, I don't plan on copying BD discs and since I'm not asking for anything illegal, Cinavia shouldn't be a problem - I've read where it can cause audio to cut out after 20 minutes on illegally copied discs, which is part of the anti-piracy aspect of Cinavia but on the other hand, I do have a number of live unreleased audio recordings, so assuming is where one often gets burned.

Sorry,that last one got away from me, but I'm about to fall asleep at my keyboard. I did that last night. Not comfortably numb when I woke up.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-28-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 31
What do you plan on using the burner/drive for? Just to playback 2D/3D content? I would have just bought a standalone BD player for that. If your objective is to rip/burn media, you may want to step up to a 64 bit OS, 32 is no longer relevant and a more powerful machine. Ripping generally isn't a problem, speaking if you own the media already. I've never had a problem with encryption that couldn't be circumvented at some point.

Blu ray in many aspects is an old world architecture. I wouldn't use Blu ray to archive anything, it's time consuming and not a good use of space and $$$. Blu ray is nothing more than a distribution media. If you plan on making content and then distributing, Blu ray(physical media) is still the best/cheapest media. But if you want to store content locally for your own enjoyment, get a media server going. You'll thank yourself years down the road.

For 2D-3D conversions, I never could see the point personally. But if you must have it, the onboard TV converters work well enough. DVDfab has a 2D-3D converter, again, I don't see the point but each his own.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-30-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

It's odd... I've wanted 3D for a long time and enjoy the movies, but I get stressed out badly at times - with the past few months being really bad, losing two boot drives and having to completely reinstall - that I've just been watching one series over and over, so while I like the little bit of 3D I've seen on my set, I haven't been pursuing it other than getting the hardware.

The BR Drive is really more for storage, but I know the discs can go bad there as well as a hard drive.

And...I was totally mistaken about the software. Forgetting the ad said no software was provided, seeing the names of the software on the disc that came with it....had nothing more than basic SATA install instructions.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-30-2014, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
My advice: Get a cheap 3D bluray player for the 3D TV. Some less than $100 Sony bluray players will do 3D conversions on the fly (search Amazon.com), but on-the-fly conversions are marginal compared to good 3D. Then use your existing bluray player for storage, etc. You will just have to go through too many hoops with your current technology (ie. the need to upgrade CPU, operating system, video card, CPU case, power supply, etc., and buy additional software can be around $200-$500, depending on whether you are a PC nut and have done this before). You can probably buy a ready made for less then the upgrade.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page