Panasonic AG-3DA1 Owners Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-04-2014, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Panasonic AG-3DA1 Owners Thread

Owners Thread for Panasonic AG-3DA1

http://www.panasonic.com/my/business...s/ag-3da1.html

I didn't see a thread for this camera so I'm getting one started. I haven't seen many posts here about this camera so maybe not too many here have it? I've had mine for a few months now.

Here are a few accessories you can get for this camera that might come in handy:

http://www.zunow.tv/Zunow-WDA-06P-kit.html

Link is old, Zunow has discontinued product.

This is probably the best accessory for this camera out there. The 3DA1 suffers from closeup problems which not only effect the 3D but also how wide your shots are. You have to shoot from about 8 feet out min. This wide angle kit really opens up the range of this camera and works full zoom thru. Installed you can shoot about 18" min. depending on how much popout you want. 18" is about the closest you can shoot but might be a little extreme. 24"-32" for more conservative uses.

A special note on the Zunow kit, there does appear to be some vignetting at times, it's really random, just how the light hits the lenses, so you have to be careful, but I think this is pretty common with screw on adapters. Zooming from Z00 to Z03 removes most of the vignetting and is what I do when this occurs and it doesn't change your scene that much.

The other problem with this kit is at times there is a loss of sharpness on the edges, usually at full zoom. This is another known problem with screw on adapters. It doesn't happen all the time and only at longer zoomed ranges but you really have to check focus when using the kit. If longer range shooting is used a lot, it might be better to just remove the kit for those shots.

Macro 3D

The Panasonic lenses have threads so you can easily add these lenses or other screw on adapters. However, there are very few that can be used, as the lenses get very close depending on what type of lens is to be added. I've checked quite a few macro, fish eye, ultra wide and wide angle lenses and many will not work with Panasonic'c 43mm lenses, so don't just buy 2 of something and expect it to work.

I was successfully in mounting a Vivitar Macro kit to the 52mm Zunow lenses. I could have used the 43mm kit but with the wider angle of the Zunow kit, macro is a bit easier. The +1, +2 and +4 work ok, I was not able to use the +10 as it would not focus at all, even in bright sunlight. But the Vivitar kit was very cheap and it came with new lens caps.

I'm still testing out this set and I'll get a link to some that will work on the 3DA1 when I get a chance.

Cyclopital Stereo Base Extender
http://www.cyclopital3d.com/Panasonic-AG-3DA1.html

There's more info on what this does at their link, basically widens the fixed I.A. for more stereo at distances. I'm considering purchasing this next year, but at $2K, I'm still on the fence.

My Thoughts on the AG-3DA1

The biggest advantages of this camera are the wider I.A. of the lenses, and separate compression of the lenses onto dual SDHC cards, not a single compression of both lenses. The result is dual output files at 22 mbps video. If that's not enough it also has dual HD SDI outputs for uncompressed video, which I'm considering if I can ever find one that's decently priced.

Anyone out there using the 3DA1? I've been having a lot of fun with mine, it puts out some nice crisp images and the 3D is pretty good. The prices on these have dropped pretty far from their original $21k price, but other 3D cameras have been released after this one so getting one now might be a little easier.

I also have the HDC Z10000 and between the two I do prefer the 3DA1 for 3D, it's mostly PQ on the Z10k doesn't translate as nice with the single MVC compression, vs dual compression method of the 3DA1. Also at medium to long range the 3DA1 appears to have better stereo effect, but since it does have a wider I.A. that is to be expected.

However, the 3DA1 is not as point and shoot friendly as the Z10k. The 3DA1 is not an auto mode camera by any means. You have to check convergence, focus, iris for every shot. It's larger, no image stab. and therefor you really need a tripod to use it. Between the two cameras it's easier to go wrong on the 3DA1. But once you understand how to operate it, you can get some really stunning 3D images with it.

If you're looking for something you can just pick up and go, start shooting and don't have time to worry about how your shot will look, I'd stay as far away from this camera as possible. If you want crisp 3D images and don't mind learning, carrying a tripod and taking extra time to setup your shots, you'll really appreciate what the 3DA1 can do.

Panasonic AG-3DA1 onboard the Space Shuttle Atlantis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NASA-Photo-1-lg.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	1163266  

Last edited by tomtastic; 01-05-2016 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Edit: updating links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-06-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The major advantage that you have not mentioned are the more professional codecs, compared to the Z10000 or the TD10s. THAT makes a difference that is important I think.

The major disadvantage is still the constant IO - that I do not like for that price.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #3 of 10 Old 07-06-2014, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang S. View Post
The major advantage that you have not mentioned are the more professional codecs, compared to the Z10000 or the TD10s. THAT makes a difference that is important I think.

The major disadvantage is still the constant IO - that I do not like for that price.
If you don't mind a used unit, you can pick one up for near the same price as a Z10k. I'm trying to find a HD SDI recorder, but they're priced around 2k and it will take two for this camera.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-22-2015, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hyperdeck shuttle 2

have you looked in to use two of these? 345 dollar each new.
(I just got two second hand... you will need special cables SDI as well)

from blackmagicdesign d-t com
post #5 of 10 Old 03-22-2015, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannylund View Post
have you looked in to use two of these? 345 dollar each new.
(I just got two second hand... you will need special cables SDI as well)

from blackmagicdesign d-t com
I might have to, that's not a bad price. I was looking at the Odyssey 7Q but two of these is cheaper.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-25-2015, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know there's not many here rolling with this camera. It is a large camera and heavier. I hadn't posted my findings on lens adapters for this camera yet and thought I'd get my notes down before I forget. I had ordered some earlier this year and got mixed results. For wide angle lenses there is the Zunow kit, which I have but there aren't any cheap ones for sale right now. I paid about 160.00 for mine. This is the best kit you can get, it's 43mm and you can add UV filters or macro adapters right on. I just leave the wide angle kit on, the camera is too narrow field of view without it.

However, I tried several cheap kits and here is what I found to save you some time. I ordered a Vivitar .43x 43mm wide angle set and the glass was too wide, it won't fit direct screw on because the lenses will touch. I actually ordered this set last on a whim, because it was 43mm direct screw on, but it didn't say how big the glass was, as it turns out: too big.

The first sets I ordered were a .21x 37mm fish eye. This one did not work so well, way too much vignetting with this much fish eye and it's not even a good fish eye look either. However, the .43x 37mm Vivitar set, (there's also other brands, like Polaroid), did work. You'll need a 43mm to 37mm step down adapter. If you want UV filters remember you'll need 37mm ones, not 43mm as it's stepped down.

Results: it's .43x compared to .6x on the Zunow, despite this with the smaller glass and step down it's actually not quite as wide. I'd estimate the Zunow makes it 28mm and the Vivitar .43x is about 30mm. Still, it's a far cheaper solution than the Zunow kit if you can't find one cheap. Stock the camera is about 47mm, which is really awful for most scenes so with the Vivitar kit you can at least get a decent field of view without breaking the bank on expensive glass.

The MID# is 0530313
37mm .43x Wide Angle Lens, you'll need two
And you'll also need two step down 43mm to 37mm step down adapter rings and I'd recommend UV filters. I'd also recommend 43mm lens covers, they snap on, you won't be using the included cover from now on. I got mine with a macro lens kit.

Price should be under 60.00 for everything.

There are some macro lens filters that will work. I got a 43mm set, but you'll need 37mm if you go with a step down lens kit. I was able to get the +1 up to + 4 to work, the +10 didn't work at all.

That's about it, I looked at a lot of wide angle lenses for this camera but in the end, the glass gets too wide and they won't fit, the step down was the only way to get it to work. It's pretty close to the Zunow, not quite as wide but it's a lot cheaper than 1755.00.

post #7 of 10 Old 01-05-2016, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Tomtastic, thanks for posting your research on the wide angle adapter lenses for the 3DA1. I have one of these cameras coming in next week, and have a short time to outfit it for shooting close-in shots. It would be great to use the Zunow kit, but those seem very rare and expensive. Perhaps in the future I'll find one as cheap as the one you found, but probably not before I'll be needing to use the camera.

Have you found any other wide angle attachments that will work with this camera? I was considering taking it to a local camera store and trying out different lenses. Ideally, I want to skip the step-down adapter if possible. I also would like to have front-threaded lenses to attach filters.

Up until now, I've been shooting 3D with either a Sony TD-10 or my GoPro Hero 3+ 3D rigs. I actually prefer the GoPros over the TD-10 due to the low bitrate MVC codec and interlaced video that the TD-10 produces. Thanks again, and I hope to post my results when the 3DA1 arrives!
post #8 of 10 Old 01-05-2016, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No, I found nothing direct 43mm that would work. When I bought my Zunow adapters the same seller had about half a dozen and they all sold on eBay for less than 200. Wish I had ordered a second set at the time.

I posted getting a 43mm lens cap but that's wrong, you'll need 37mm ones if you go with the the step down wide angle kit. I didn't think the step down looked that bad visually. I didn't do a lot of shooting with it. Mostly did some frame comparisons and found the Zunow was slightly wider, but visually they looked about the same. If anything use the step down until you can find a decent priced Zunow kit. There is a Zunow kit on eBay now, it was 1200 or so. Also with the step down, I may have posted this before, you'll need to make something in front like a face plate to keep dust and stuff out of the lens housing.

If you go with the cheap kit, I would say also order a 37mm Vivitar macro kit (2 each), I think they come with lens caps plus the macro lenses. You can tie off the strings of the caps to the handle or hand grip.

I think you'll like the imaging quality out of this camera, it should go well with you're GoPro's. I do notice the difference between the Panasonic Z10000 and the 3DA1. The 3DA1 seems to produce richer colors. You'll need to go into the settings and take the gamma and move it up to +3 or so. I'll have to look and see what mine was set to. I know the default it's pretty bland, if you want to do post color correction it's probably better to leave it neutral but it looks so nice out of camera with the internal adjustment.

Nice to finally see someone else on here with this camera. Everyone here has a TD10, JVC or Z10k, haven't had anyone else to converse with about the 3DA1.

I checked B and H and they have it listed for 999.00. It's a special order item, which Zunow may have discontinued, unless they have old stock they're clearing out.

Last edited by tomtastic; 01-05-2016 at 07:31 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-09-2016, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
No, I found nothing direct 43mm that would work. When I bought my Zunow adapters the same seller had about half a dozen and they all sold on eBay for less than 200. Wish I had ordered a second set at the time.

I posted getting a 43mm lens cap but that's wrong, you'll need 37mm ones if you go with the the step down wide angle kit. I didn't think the step down looked that bad visually. I didn't do a lot of shooting with it. Mostly did some frame comparisons and found the Zunow was slightly wider, but visually they looked about the same. If anything use the step down until you can find a decent priced Zunow kit. There is a Zunow kit on eBay now, it was 1200 or so. Also with the step down, I may have posted this before, you'll need to make something in front like a face plate to keep dust and stuff out of the lens housing.

If you go with the cheap kit, I would say also order a 37mm Vivitar macro kit (2 each), I think they come with lens caps plus the macro lenses. You can tie off the strings of the caps to the handle or hand grip.

I think you'll like the imaging quality out of this camera, it should go well with you're GoPro's. I do notice the difference between the Panasonic Z10000 and the 3DA1. The 3DA1 seems to produce richer colors. You'll need to go into the settings and take the gamma and move it up to +3 or so. I'll have to look and see what mine was set to. I know the default it's pretty bland, if you want to do post color correction it's probably better to leave it neutral but it looks so nice out of camera with the internal adjustment.

Nice to finally see someone else on here with this camera. Everyone here has a TD10, JVC or Z10k, haven't had anyone else to converse with about the 3DA1.

I checked B and H and they have it listed for 999.00. It's a special order item, which Zunow may have discontinued, unless they have old stock they're clearing out.

Hi Tom, thanks for the advice on the lenses. I had been considering the fact that the Zunow kit comes with a plate to prevent dirt from entering the lens housing. I would imagine something can be made (possibly even 3D printed) to take the place of the factory cover. I certainly can't justify paying $1000 for what is basically the same thing as two $20 Vivitar wide angle adapters and a protective plate.

The camera came in late today, so I'll have the weekend to play with it and see how it looks. What I really love about it is that each lens and sensor has an output that is totally separate, which enables this camera to record in basically any quality as long as an external recorder is used. This cannot be accomplished with the TD-10, which outputs side by side 3D from its HDMI terminal. Additionally, there is no progressive mode with the TD-10, and I find interlaced video almost unbearable to watch at times. The built-in SDHC recording system uses two separate recording slots as well, so the workflow is similar to my 3D GoPro rig.

I will update with my findings after I take the 3DA1 for a spin!
post #10 of 10 Old 01-09-2016, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Remember it will only take SDHC, so no 64 gb cards and you're limited to 200 clips -one of my biggest complaints about this camera. Also, if you do shoot in 1080i60/30p, it will not play back over HDMI in frame packing. Not supported, 1080p24 and 720p60 work fine.

You can make a real cheap cover like I did at first out of cardboard and black duct tape. Actually I still have it on my avatar here, but don't use it much anymore after figuring out how to attach the factory cover with Zunow plate. It may be possible to manufacture a new plate, I'll have to look at mine and see.

I'm surprised there aren't more kits coming up for sale. I think these cameras were purchased with the anticipation that broadcast 3D would take off so many have hit eBay for cheap but haven't seen the kits since I bought mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page