Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-14-2014, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Shooting 3D movie--what would we need?

Ok, this is just hypothetical at this time, but a business contact of mine is kicking around the idea of shooting a 3D movie. It would involve a script that is 50% everyday shooting, interiors, exteriors, and 50% cgi with green screen. It's basically a sci-fi movie. I have the book that I'm turning into a script. Anyway, I don't have the expertise with cameras to understand what it would take for a good standard 3D rig, plus sound rig to meet the needs of current 3D filming standards. We would need to keep costs down so I'm thinking a DIY rig with a couple of top-notch SLRs synced would be possible. The 3D cgi is a whole different issue that would be dealt with separately. We have other ideas up our sleeves, but for now we just need to do a feasibility study. Living in Michigan we have studios locally that can be rented. Anyway, what you are willing to share would be appreciated.

Edit: And yes, I'm aware we have a steep learning curve to go through and cameras are just a small part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-14-2014, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Hire a good stereoscopic consultant. 3D experts can advise on your options for stereo conversions vs. 3D acquisition. My opinion is that the latter takes more time but generally looks better, though nowadays 3D conversions can look extremely good provided you're willing to spend about $100,000/minute and can give the conversion company at least 5-6 months to do the work.

Get a distributor in place before you make the film. Don't finance it yourself if at all possible. And make sure the script is solid and absolutely nailed down before you shoot a frame. Hire the right people and don't try to do everything yourself. (I've chided directors before that "just because you have the software to edit, color-correct, and mix doesn't mean you have the experience and skill to do any of these things.")

Bear in mind that shooting the film might be the easiest part of the process. My opinion is that there's really four stages in making a film: 1) creating a great script; 2) getting the financing; 3) shooting the production; and 4) finding a distributor. Ideally, you need to get a distributor first so that you won't be caught on a limb, unable to get the film released. I've seen quite a few indie films wither on the vine because of the last problem, leaving the producers and investors twisting in the wind.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-15-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Lot's to think about here...
post #4 of 10 Old 07-16-2014, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, I must have come off as a avsforum dipstick with this request, but you all probably misunderstood where I'm coming from. Check this out: http://lightsfilmschool.com/blog/5-s...re-films/2205/

Yeah, I've read the forums around all the consumer and prosumer 3D cameras--wow even the handheld IMAXs would be way cool, but (and maybe I missed it) what about a couple of DSLRs synced with adjustable ocular separation--maybe use some mirrors. I'm looking for something with excellent video, but very cost effective as in the link above. Something capable of being handheld and tripod based or even pole based for those high-out long shots.

For this exercise in movie-making-dom ( or dumb as it might turn out ), we are out to prove that good 3D using low cost cameras and PC cgi (perhaps done with a bunch a talented college kids) can be done at the indie level with reasonable success (ie. less than $500k investment).

I'm looking for brainstorming. I do thank Marc for his insight and will keep that in mind, but let the journey begin...
post #5 of 10 Old 07-17-2014, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone had experience with this rig?

http://www.goatandyeti.com/#!product...505/robert-rig
post #6 of 10 Old 07-17-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Wolfgang owns one.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-27-2014, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What about the Blackmagic Cinema cameras? I don't know if they are sync able but at the moment they are doing the pocket cinema cam for £635. Even the 4K cam is only £1915! https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products
post #8 of 10 Old 07-27-2014, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What is your budget? Most of the professional mirror rigs out there are going to start out at 5k, plus the cost of two cameras, plus the genlocking equipment and learning to align and sync.

If you're looking for low cost professional 3D video, I'd recommend the 3DA1 because you can get them very cheap now. They record full bit rate AVCHD per lens whereas the prosumer 3D cams lower the combined bit rate. You can also output full uncompressed video via dual HD SDI outputs if you have a little more to spend. There are some limitations to the camera though, read up on it first.

I think if I was going to step up from this camera it would be a mirror rig but I'm just not certain I want to because of the extra setup time with two cameras and aligning/syncing. Mirror rigs are ran by an experienced crew, and most of what I'm doing is by myself so if that's not a problem, and a budget of 20k, you might be able to go that route. But if you have a budget of under 3k, I'd go with the 3DA1, I don't think there's a better all in one 3D camera out there, besides the 3DP1 or TD300, which are much more costly.

With a mirror rig you'll want to also use a 3D monitor on location and setup each shot beforehand. Otherwise you're shooting blind.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-29-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post
Anyone had experience with this rig?

http://www.goatandyeti.com/#!product...505/robert-rig
Sure, some limited experience is here. Roberts Rig work fine so far - you have to adjust it manualle as you have to do it with every rig, it is up to you to get that fine. I think it needs some experience, it is nothing that should or could be done within 5 minutes.

The other question is what cameras to use then - genlock? The monitor needs was mentioned for a professional production. So the rig is only one part of the story - a small one. Another question is about the formats you would like to record - how professional should the prodcution be here? Foreget everything about long GOP consumer codecs like AVCHD - at least it should be something like ProRes 4:2:2 or DNxHD 4:2:2 - if possible with 10bit. But are you prepared to work with a 10bit 4:2:2 workflow? What cameras would you like to record that - or would you like to work with external recorders like Atomos Ninja Blades?

There are a lot of questions that we do not know here - I hope you know a lot of answers at least.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #10 of 10 Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, for all your replies. My partner is overwhelmed with all the technical aspects and is taking a different route, so consider this thread closed for now. I tried to tell him in the beginning there was going to be a steep learning curve, but being a digital slr photographer for years, he thought not.
Reply 3D Source Components

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page