Edius Pro 7 - Tricks and Tips - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #1 of 743 Old 03-28-2015, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Edius Pro 7 and 8 - Tricks and Tips

I thought I'd start a thread around what we are all doing in Edius, just to keep the good stuff from getting buried in other threads.

So far this week I created two 720x60p blurays in Edius. One SBS and one Over/Under. This is from Panasonic 3D1 SBS video. They both read okay in PowerDVD14. The Over/Under has slightly more detail and presentation quality.

Previously, I rendered a 720x60p mp4 with stabilization, alignment and sharpness and put that into PD13 to create a bluray and it played like butter. I pan a lot, so Edius really helped calm down the video to a watchable standard.

Today I'm experimenting with overlaying effects in clips. I discovered I could layer effects in Edius...ala, have more sharpness effects selected at once per clip. I'm now doing a test with quad sharpness on some older SBS video. It appears that if you don't push the sharpness too high each time, it will add more and more sharpness without artifacts--well that's what I'm trying to prove anyway...pushing the limits....

Whoa, I just got through creating a test 1080x30p dual stream mp4 from Edius for 3 clips. Each included Alignment, Stabilizer and 4 Sharpness effect with a 30 setting each. And wow, did that increase the sharpness nicely. If there is a problem, it also increased the frame edges to add more judder as I pan. I'm going to take that into PD13 and see what a bluray looks like...more to come...

I'm a real newbie with Edius, so take that into consideration. Barry has been a big help in getting me to spend more money on 3D this past month....

Last edited by 3DBob; 09-11-2015 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Change title to include version 8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 743 Old 03-28-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Yeah, that Barry is good at helping other people spend their money. Thanks to a tip from him, I just bought another JVC HMZ1 on eBay.

It'll be good to have a dedicated Edius thread. We were talking about it too much over in the Vegas thread. I think, maybe, I might have tried to start one quite a while back, but if so it never generated a lot of posts. Perhaps now with several of us using Edius it's the right time.

You can not only layer effects one after the other, you can group effects together and apply them all at once. You can color correct, change contrast and add sharpness in one drop.

Joe Clark

post #3 of 743 Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Yeah, thanks for this thread.

Anyway, I took your advice Bob and loaded up Edius 7.42 demo for 30 days. I had no trouble installing even though it took almost an hour due to wanting to update itself right away as the free demo version was an older one.

So I began testing and after tracking down the different settings, got it to display 3D on my secondary monitor.
Test #1- Joe Clark's claim the player is better than Vegas Pro. Yes it is. Played 3D from my TD10 and Z10K at full 29.97 and 23.976 fps effortlessly never losing a beat. I like that.
I plan to hit on Sony developers about that at NAB

Moving clips around on the timeline is effortless same as Vegas Pro but far superior to PD13. I can see if I take the time to learn Edius as well as I know Vegas, I could be more efficient with Edius.

It took me a little time to figure out how to do the stabilize and here's my opinion comparing to Mercalli:

First of all it did a nice job of working with 3D files, something that Mercalli can't do.
Second the application and ready to use was very fast.

But the results were only effective for high frequency shaky video, not for smoothing out large bumps along the way but I saw it didn't auto zoom in either so it only corrected little shake, not smooth out any low frequency bumps which Mercalli can easily do but then it wants to Zoom in on your wide angle shots so there is the tradeoff.

Barry, you were correct in your early assessment and that is Edius stabilize can be used for most corrections while Mercalli called in for the really bad stuff.

Question 1- how do you bring up the effects adjustments? Maybe stabilize doesn't have any??? I didn't get time to play with any of the other effects like color control or 3D adjustments, maybe later on tomorrow.

Question 2- Is there a way to set the secondary monitor so it has no vu meters nor run time on that little transparent overlay. I want it on my 1st monitor but not the second one. Also, I want the second monitor to show 3D but the one on the gui editor to be 2D. can that be set?

I have not yet tried to do the separate into left and right files yet, nor try to pair two camera clips to 3D yet. At some point I will probably be ready for the tutorial or video training classes.

FYI- I decided to test this out now before NAB so I can stop by the GV both and see if there are any show deals to buy it. You never know but I felt getting prepared before the show I will be better prepared to make that decision when I'm there.

I also saw there was some videos and web pages on that talked about how to reset the date to extend the trial demo indefinitely. Have you guys checked into these and do they work? I saw most of these were rather old.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752

Last edited by Don Landis; 03-28-2015 at 08:50 PM.

post #4 of 743 Old 03-28-2015, 09:25 PM

Don,

Look for the "Information" tab (look at the bottom of the various windows). When you click on a clip on the timeline, that tab gives you a list of the file's properties, as well as a list of the effects you've applied. To apply an effect, you can drag it from the effects tab onto the clip on the timeline, or you can drag it into the information window. Double click on the effect in the info window and it brings up an adjustment window. Stabilize has parameters, as do most effects. You can also apply keyframes in this window.

Edius' interface is fully customizable. You can set up the windows and tabs any way you want and save the configuration, just like Vegas and Premiere. It's under View>Window Layout.

You can get rid of the status display on the monitor with Ctrl G, or under View>Display>Status. Sorry I can't help much with multiple monitor setups. I don't use them. What you want to do is probably available in the View menu.

There are cross-grade options for owners of other NLEs, making the purchase a lot cheaper. It's $350. An educational package is available for $150. If you have a relative or friend who's a teacher or student, that's probably the way to go.

With Edius, I can play smoothly through a dissolve of two 3D MVC clips on the timeline, with a stereoscopic correction and one or two other filters on each clip. This is with a middle of the road nVidia graphics card, and on my everyday computer - not even my main edit rig. When you load it up with more effects, it starts to slow down. 10-bit editing slows it down even more, but most people edit in 8-bit and render with 10-bit.

Joe Clark

post #5 of 743 Old 03-28-2015, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
There are cross-grade options for owners of other NLEs, making the purchase a lot cheaper. It's $350. An educational package is available for $150. If you have a relative or friend who's a teacher or student, that's probably the way to go.
I saw that education version. Do you know what they require for that big discounted price? I have scuba instructor credentials. Does that qualify?
My daughter works as an elementary teacher's assistant but how does it work? Also, I believe the education version is not upgradable.

The cross grade is the best way since I have Vegas Pro. What do they require? I read some unofficial forum posts that said you have to "give up your registration status and disable the Vegas Pro for Edius to work." Is that true? I would never do that!

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #6 of 743 Old 03-28-2015, 10:08 PM

I believe I was required to show them a capture of my Vegas splash screen or some such nonsense. As I recall, they didn't even request it when I bought the upgrade. I didn't have to relinquish my Vegas registration. Contact B&H. You can't buy Edius through GV's web site. You have to go through B&H, VideoGuys or some other authorized retailer. Getting the upgrade may be easier than you think. Then again, I upgraded eons ago. It could be harder now.

Joe Clark

post #7 of 743 Old 03-29-2015, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Take care for the cross-upgrade. They had the intention to kill that earlier - at least here in Europe the market reaction was strong, and they decided to keep it online until end of March (so it end is near also here). So I think you have to hurry for that.

My experience with the preview is that I can put with nvidia 3D vision a full sceen on the active 3D monitor - works great (beside the small issue that there is always a text that states that the application has not been approved by nvidia - but who cares about that).

The preview quality is fine, but at my machine (still an old i7 2600K overclocked to 4.3 GHz) not really worser then with Vegas - with my old GTX570 and optimizes allocation to dynamic ram I get the full fps for both my Z10K but also my TD10. One important difference is that Edius does not allow you to reduce the preview quality - so either it works in full quality (what is great) or the buffer will run empty.

The s3D interface is very similar to the quality of the Vegas interface - even if I think that the Vegas interface is a little bit better (there was the issue that some adjustments where changed when I adjusted other settings in the interfaced, as far as I remember). But all togehter it is great.

One big disadvantage is that you cannot create true 3D-BDs. In the early days of the public beta phase they had an MVC encoder incorporated, but they decided to take that out (again very likely due to the high licensing costs). And to stick to sbs-half is not such a great idea I think. Either one uses the export as AVCHD 3D - with the issue of lower compatibility on the player side since that will work with AVCHD 3D compatible BD-players only). Or one exports L and R in a separate way and generate a 3D-BD in Vegas Pro or Vegas Moviestudio - or export in sbs-full and use the PD for the authoring.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #8 of 743 Old 03-29-2015, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Exporting in sbs-full to PD for bluray seems to work well without much loss. Setting the VBR in Edius to 30Mbps and 40Mbps max helps also. PD13 then renders at about 26Mbps.
post #9 of 743 Old 03-29-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Wolfgang- I could not find any reference to an expiration on the crossgrade and I think it would be kind of silly for them to do that now given that they will be having a big presentation at NAB in 2 weeks. Regardless, the cross grade is what I plan to do through B&H, if for no other reason than to use as a utility for now. The platform does look quite robust and interfaces well with my hardware. It did crash several times this morning while I was experimenting with trying to add the stereoscopic adjust effect. Never could get into it but I will try again later. At some point, if I decide this platform is worth pursuing I will probably get a training video and use that to get up to speed on basic workflow to become more efficient with it.

To be fair, I can't prejudge the product until I spend allot more time on it. Meanwhile it's back to Vegas to wrap up about 5 projects, in the can that need completion before I can spend quality time, like going to school for a semester to learn it. You know, I spent a whole month struggling through the slow pace of PD10 and finally gave up, thinking it is just not a good editor. At least Edius runs like greased lightening on my computer. I was able to roll 2 3D Z10K clips at full frame rate in full quality in a very long dissolve and it never missed a frame.

Regarding the 3D Blu Ray disk burn, not so concerned about the lack of that that because I have Vegas Pro and PD13 for that. It does appear that where Vegas Pro has some weaknesses, Edius can come through.

Joe- thanks for the tips, I did get rid of that status overlay with your suggestion. Still having trouble getting a 2D view on the computer screen and 3D on the second 3D monitor. They seem to want to run both in 2D or both in 3D. Other editors have an option to run them separate and different or the same. I'm sure GV has a setting for this, just need to find it.

My 3D videos and more
post #10 of 743 Old 03-29-2015, 10:19 AM

I think it's all about having as many tools as possible for this 3D hobby, because not a single one of them is perfect for every need. I'm going to be using Edius, Vegas and PD on a regular basis now. I prefer Vegas' de-interlacing, Edius' smooth interface and PD's ability to burn compliant Blu-ray with 3D menus. There are things about each that I don't care for, but put them together and they're very powerful.

Joe Clark

post #11 of 743 Old 03-29-2015, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well the expiration is known quite well here in Europa. I cannot imagine that they are doing that only here. But maybe I am wrong.
post #12 of 743 Old 03-29-2015, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thanks, Wolfgang. Went ahead and ordered it for Tuesday delivery from B&H, just in case you are right but B&H had no advisories on the expiration. I understand the warnings that I need to uninstall the version I have now to install from the DVD.

My 3D videos and more
post #13 of 743 Old 03-29-2015, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 173
When I got my cross grade last year through Video Guys, they never even asked me- like they were supposed to, I guess- for proof of another NLE. I did have others, but they didn't ask.

By the way, regarding that little warning that Wolfgang referred to if using an Nvidia card that the application isn't approved for it, shouldn't be disabled from showing on the screen - which you can do- or the whole program will start to get glitchy. It sure did for me. I called Grass Valley and reported this issue.

Don, for a 2 monitor setup, you can make custom setups. I have my right monitor as full screen and the left has the timeline, bin, effects, etc. Actually, to get the total full screen in 3D, double click it or set a shortcut icon.

Today I've been playing around with the GPs set at 1080 60p. With the monitors both connected through DVI, there's no HDMI bottleneck and the clips can be paired and viewed 3D at 1080 60p. I tried rendering one as Dual Frame .mp4 and Power DVD, through that same DVI connected monitor, played in 3D at 1080 60p just fine. PD also imported that same 1080 60p 3D file just fine. If only the projector and TV manufacturers would free us from this silly HDMI.

Last edited by Barry C; 03-29-2015 at 06:46 PM.
post #14 of 743 Old 03-30-2015, 01:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry C View Post
By the way, regarding that little warning that Wolfgang referred to if using an Nvidia card that the application isn't approved for it, shouldn't be disabled from showing on the screen - which you can do- or the whole program will start to get glitchy. It sure did for me. I called Grass Valley and reported this issue.

Well, I for my part do not like to have that text in the right corner of the active nvidia 3D vision monitor. There is a combination of keys how to disable that after the start of Edius - but that is borring a little bit. And that is for nvidia 3D vision an issue only, not for passive side-by-side half systems.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #15 of 743 Old 03-30-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang S. View Post
Well, I for my part do not like to have that text in the right corner of the active nvidia 3D vision monitor. There is a combination of keys how to disable that after the start of Edius - but that is borring a little bit. And that is for nvidia 3D vision an issue only, not for passive side-by-side half systems.
I am using Nvidia Active Vision and didn't like that warning on my screen, but when I disabled it, Edius began to malfunction. That was a long time ago and I can't remember now what the malfunction was but I finally discovered, that if I left the warning there, the malfunction stopped. My recollection is that the problem it caused wasn't anything to do with viewing 3D, however.
post #16 of 743 Old 03-30-2015, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm using an Nvidia card with a passive 3D monitor and do not get the message as Wolfgang points out. No glitches so far except when trying to browse the Internet while rendering. Works okay most of the time, but sometimes hangs up due to cpu contention. Yeah, I know most of you would never touch the machine that is rendering, but in the past I would render with PD13 or Vegas and have no issues while also browsing the internet or doing other things. I even worked with Paint Shop Pro at the same time as rendering without issue when rendering with PD13.
post #17 of 743 Old 03-30-2015, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I don't see the warning because I'm using the AMD Firepro V8800.

I spent most of yesterday trying to figure out where stuff is located. I got fade from black to work OK but could not figure out how to set an audio fade up from silent. Then it occurred to me that maybe the audio transitions only work between two audio clips so I searched until I found how to turn on the volume envelope like in Vegas and set the audio fade up there. The audio transitions do work fine between two clips.

I'm working on a small project right now that benefits by having perfect playback since there are some things I need to work on with timing and Edius will save me the trouble of having to render segments to a wmv for playback to carefully analyze the timing.

While here in the thread, I need to ask- Once I get a user interface layout I like, where to I save that so that comes up every time? Now even my saved project defaults to the original layout and I have to start all over again.

Can some popularly used icons be added to the user interface or do I need to learn the quick keys to do certain tasks like group and ungroup. Split audio, and others?

I can say this about Edius- It is a more convoluted way to do certain things and editing a project will take longer because of it. But it has some features I have never seen in Vegas Pro that I like. I'm hoping that if I can come up to speed on this by summer, I will do more projects using it. As far as stability, I would say it seems to crash too much and booting Edius takes about 10 times as long as Vegas Pro. Hopefully the long boot up will go away when I stop using the trial version.

My 3D videos and more
post #18 of 743 Old 03-30-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
I'm using an Nvidia card with a passive 3D monitor and do not get the message as Wolfgang points out. No glitches so far except when trying to browse the Internet while rendering. Works okay most of the time, but sometimes hangs up due to cpu contention. Yeah, I know most of you would never touch the machine that is rendering, but in the past I would render with PD13 or Vegas and have no issues while also browsing the internet or doing other things. I even worked with Paint Shop Pro at the same time as rendering without issue when rendering with PD13.
Mostly, I do use a separate machine for editing than doing stuff on the internet. But since my workstation has three computers now, I use a switch to move the key board, mouse and main monitor to each CPU. This was never a problem with Vegas Pro or PD or any other program. However, I did notice that Edius crashes if I have it up and in pause mode, basically doing nothing. As soon as I switch the monitor to another CPU, the Edius GUI pops up a message: "We detected a change in the monitor resolution. Before continuing you need to restart Edius."

If I hadn't saved my work first before switching my monitor, I would lose anything I did since the last save. What this means in my work station, is that I have to save my work and exit from Edius before I switch the monitor to another CPU. This is really bad and may cause me not to use Edius for any long project since I would need to leave my whole work station in Edius, rendering and not have access to my other 2 machines to do other things. I hope I can find a solution to this limitation. For interrupting work, I am simply saving and exiting Edius now. But what happens when I have to do a 12 hour rendering? haven't crossed that bridge yet.

My 3D videos and more
post #19 of 743 Old 03-30-2015, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
I don't see the warning because I'm using the AMD Firepro V8800.

While here in the thread, I need to ask- Once I get a user interface layout I like, where to I save that so that comes up every time? Now even my saved project defaults to the original layout and I have to start all over again.

Can some popularly used icons be added to the user interface or do I need to learn the quick keys to do certain tasks like group and ungroup. Split audio, and others?
To save a custom layout, go to the view tab on top, then pull down its menu to Windows Layout, and you will see an option to Save Current Layout and do that. It will let you name your custom layout.

To add custom user icons. Go to the Settings tab on top then pull down and choose User Settings, then open up the User Interface option under that and then choose Buttons. That will open up a panel that will allow you to add your custom shortcut icons in various places that you can choose.

Last edited by Barry C; 03-30-2015 at 02:15 PM.
post #20 of 743 Old 03-30-2015, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@ Don,

there are a lot of very good tutorials for Edius in the internet - also on youtube. I have here some very good German training courses too - but that will not be helpfull really. When you come from Vegas to Edius you have to re-learn some aspects in detail - to my opinion one major point is the stronger focus on the storyboard (the bin structure) in Edius, while Vegas is focused more on editing in the timeline. I think it is a good idea to spend some time to become familiar with the concept behind Edius, what is different in some aspects compared with Vegas.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #21 of 743 Old 03-30-2015, 08:20 AM

Don,

One quick way to apply the standard transition is to put the cursor right at the transition point. Hit alt-1. This applies the default transition to audio and video.
post #22 of 743 Old 03-30-2015, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

There is a default transition icon above the timeline. You can load all your clips to the timeline, so a select all clips in Edit, and then click the transition icon. It will add that one transition (crossfade for example) to all the clips. You can also add effects to all clips by selecting them all and dragging the effect to the timeline. You can also apply one effect with the same settings to all clips, by making a sequence out of the clips and drag effects to the whole sequence with the same setting.
post #23 of 743 Old 03-30-2015, 09:19 AM

Don,

If you want to apply the default transition to all the clips on the timeline, drag select them. Put the cursor between two clips and hit Alt-1. It applies the transition to all the clips at once.

Edius boots up very slowly the first time. Subsequent boots are faster, as long as the PC hasn't been rebooted. I always assumed this had something to do with Edius making sure it's set optimally for editing on the machine. Edius is known for its stability.

This is just a guess, but I suspect your Edius crashes are due to a graphics card driver issue, and/or how you're switching inputs between your HDMI sources. I use an nVidia card, not an AMD, but that might not be the basic issue, either. I use A Denon 2312 AVR to switch between two PCs, a Blu-ray player and a Dish Joey satellite receiver. I typically switch between these sources many times a day, without any problems at all. Edius almost never crashes on me. It could be that your HDMI switch is causing resolution changes in Edius and your graphics card, and that's the source of your issue. Again, it's just a guess.

Joe Clark

post #24 of 743 Old 03-30-2015, 09:26 AM

We posted at about the same time, Bob. You can drag select any or all the clips on the timeline, then drop an effect on one to apply it to all of them, as Bob said. You can also drag an effect (that you've already set parameters for) from the info window of one clip to another clip (or its info window), to apply exactly the same effect to the other clip. This works for stereo adjust, color correction, etc. It also works for the Layouter, which is a tool/function for every clip on the timeline. You can resize the clip, rotate it, do digital pans/tilts, and keyframe each and every one of those functions.

Joe Clark

post #25 of 743 Old 03-30-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm also running a 3 CPU setup. 2 of them are in 2 monitor configuration, and the third is in a single monitor configuration. That is the system we use for internet, my son's games, homework etc. Don, I've had your Edius issue happen just a few times but don't remember what the context was when it happened. As a rule, however, there is no problem switching between the Edius running system and the general use CPU. When I have some free time later, I'll see if I can find in what circumstance this Edius issue can be made to occur.
post #26 of 743 Old 03-30-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Just got back. Been out at the tax collector's office waiting to pay for my auto tags.

The monitor switch crash is probably caused by the fact that my 3DTV is 1080 x 1920 and the computer main monitor is 1200 x 1920. Just a guess. The switch is a standard KVM HDMI switch.

Thanks for the other tips guys. I will get back into it later today and check them out.

Wolfgang. I do plan to build a library of the You Tube tutorials before researching the $$ more formal training.

A question about bin structure vs. timeline editing.

Say I shoot content using free rolling camera, that is, I shoot very long clips because I plan to scan, say an hour long clip and then chop out all the unusable recorded content so the finished work is only 6 minutes long. How does bin approach work in this content scenario.

Examples of why I would shoot this way-
1. Car cam video where I will use just a fraction of what is shot in a project
2. Twin cam Nabi, underwater footage where I turn the cameras on and sync the recording with clap board and then just shoot the whole dive, clipping out the good stuff later in edit.
3. Surveillance style shooting where a camera is locked down on a scene hoping to capture some action over a lengthy period of time. Typical shooting in nature documentaries.

Now to return your phone call, Barry.

My 3D videos and more
post #27 of 743 Old 03-30-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How does bin approach work in this content scenario.
To my opinion, in Edius one would import such a long clip in the bin; then take the clip in the bin, define in- and out-points and bring that to the timeline. So a classical 3-point-editing. And do that again and again.

In Vegas there is also a trimmer - but I for example do not use that at all. My impressoin is that most people edit such a long clip in the timeline too. So in Vegas I would import the long clip in the timeline, and then make cuts directly in the timeline - taking out the footage that I do not want to use at all and leave the rest in the timeline.

Maybe a question of what one prefers. In both cases one has to review the full clip anyway - but I think it is another approach.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang
videotreffpunkt.com
post #28 of 743 Old 03-30-2015, 12:16 PM

But you could do the same thing in Edius, Wolfgang. I'd be likely to put such a clip in the Edius timeline, cut it up, trim the parts I didn't want, and then edit the rest together normally. That would be the easiest approach for me. An approach I like with both Edius and Premiere is to arrange the clips in the bin, do rough in/out points from there, and then drag all the clips to the timeline together. Once they're there, you refine the edit points, drag and drop, and add transitions and titles normally.

Joe Clark

post #29 of 743 Old 03-30-2015, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I have used the trimmer a few times but still find it easier to just put the long clip in the timeline and cut out the parts I don't want. Then shove them down line for when I need them. One thing I like in Vegas is I can turn on continuous pictures that indicate where my bad stuff is for quick find and exclusion. I see Edius has only the head and tail image. Not sure if there are preferences where I can change that to continuous frames. Of course in Vegas, updating those little frames with pictures eats up CPU power so if playing the timeline it is best to switch that off.

My learning project in Edius is one big clip I am slicing up but the sequence will remain in order.

My 3D videos and more
post #30 of 743 Old 03-30-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I have used the trimmer a few times but still find it easier to just put the long clip in the timeline and cut out the parts I don't want. Then shove them down line for when I need them. One thing I like in Vegas is I can turn on continuous pictures that indicate where my bad stuff is for quick find and exclusion. I see Edius has only the head and tail image. Not sure if there are preferences where I can change that to continuous frames. Of course in Vegas, updating those little frames with pictures eats up CPU power so if playing the timeline it is best to switch that off.

My learning project in Edius is one big clip I am slicing up but the sequence will remain in order.
To see thumbnails all along the timeline, select Settings>User Settings>Application>Timeline. In the bottom right, under Clip Thumbnail, select "All."

Joe Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page