AVS Forum banner

Cyberlink PowerDVD 15 for 3D

26K views 201 replies 28 participants last post by  GeoSpot 
#1 · (Edited)
Last week, I updated from PDVD14 to PDVD15 Ultra. I've now had a chance to mess with it a bit with 3D content. At this point, I'd say, if you already have PDVD14 and use it for watching 3D, don't bother updating unless you really want direct BD iso file play.

It appears to me that, at least with regard to 3D, this program is a GIANT step backwards. Forinstance, it will no longer play files that are 1080 sbs half frame in 3D. Today, I also discovered that it also will no longer play in 3D 720 60p files that have been rendered in its sister program, Power Director. For some reason, it will play in 3D 720p files that were rendered in Edius. As for its ability to play 3D iso files, that seems to be OK.

So, if you already have an earlier version of PDVD, and it's meeting your 3D needs, you may want to pass on this one or try it on a trial basis if possible to see if you like it. I've left PDVD14 installed on my computer and will continue to use that one for 3D. If you want it mainly for directly playing iso files, then it may be helpful for that purpose,

1ST Edit: I originally said that it wasn't playing 3D iso files correctly on my projector/HTPC. I now have solved this issue and it does seem to be playing these files well.
2nd Edit: It will play SBS but the interface is bizzarre. You first must start playing the file, then pause it. Then you right click over the playing area and a menu will pop up which will have a SBS option. Once set, it will play the SBS correctly. If you close the program, the next time you want to play an SBS file, you will have to do this setting again.

See less See more
#48 ·
For those using PDVD15 who didn't see my Edius thread--PDVD15 will now play dual-stream files out of Edius in 1080-30p and 60p (basically frame sequential I think). The video is amazing and rivals bluray without the 24p judder.

Why is this important? Well, if you can hook up your computer running PDVD15 to your 3D screen, you can play your 3D files in better resolution and frame rates than bluray.

I am testing other apps like Power Director 13 and Vegas Pro to see what they can produce that works as well.

#49 · (Edited)
I could not get any other SBS full 3D formats from PD13 or Vegas Pro to play in 3D...only would play in 2D.

Correction: I was able to get a multi-view file made in PD13 to play in PDVD15 at 1080x60p. Select multiview when producing and create an mp4. Use a custom template to create 1080x60p at 34000 kbytes bitrate. I used a SBS video created by my Panny 3D1, but did not create an SBS file, but a multiview file, which is basically two 1080p images side-by-side I think. Anyway, it plays smooth as butter.

#51 ·
Will the new version play 3D movies that are ripped to your p.c. hard drive as an ISO? I ask because every time I try to watch a 3D movie, it doesn't appear in full 3D (it plays 3D but the picture doesn't appear to be 3D, no 3D depth). If I place the original disc in my 3D blu ray player I get true 3D ie (a real 3D image with depth)

I am using Power DVD 13. I prefer to rip my movies to my p.c. hard drive for faster retrieval and less chance my kids damage the disc. I do have a dedicated p.c. with 12 tb of movies a 3D video card and 3D cd/dvd/blu ray drive. Im confused why it see's the ISO file and plays it, even lets me switch to 3D mode but then appears 2D on my screen. *scratch my head*

Something must be incorrect with PowerDVD 13 setup, I am just not sure where to check.

#52 ·
The ability to play ISO files was not an included feature in PDVD13. That's probably why you are having problems. It is, for the first time, an added feature in PDVD15 and it works just fine! I also use a dedicated HTPC and have no problem playing ISO files with it. I have only tried it on ISO files I have created with my own content in P. Director 14, which has added the ability to make ISO files for the first time.

#54 ·
Can PowerDVD 15 play atmos movies from my pc?
I don't know about atmos yet. As I recall- and I may be wrong- it will play 7.1.

#60 ·
There are a bunch of this here.

First, Atmos playback will work if you can bitstream the video over HDMI - you must bitstream to a receiver that supports Atmos. You cannot decode to PCM as that will destroy the Atmos stream contained in the TrueHD container.

Second AnyDVD can hide the MVC track which turns a 3d video to 2d. But if you do an exact rip that preserves the MVC track, then it will play back as 3d. (3D is encoded as a base 2d AVC track with an MVC track that shows how the base frame needs to be modified in order to produce the stereoscopic image).

#61 · (Edited)
I second what @Worf says above. I just got PowerDVD 15 working from one of my PCs. I've ripped several of my 2D and 3D BDs with Sly Soft to iso's. And PowerDVD 15 plays the iso's just fine in 2D, 3D, and Atmos.

I had tried unsuccessfully for days to play the 3D iso's on a PC with an i5 cpu and Intel HD3000 graphics to HDMI. Tried several trial programs. Then, today, I moved PowerDVD 15 to another PC with an i5 cpu but with HD 4600 graphics to HDMI. And that worked. Both computers have HDMI 1.4. And the HDMI cable is around 15' and is not an expensive one.

Shows 3d with Intel HD4600 and HD3000. Just make sure your drivers are current.

My Sony TV does recognize the 3D signal and switches automatically.

Also, I am not real sure whether the following limitations are an issue with the trial version of PowerDVD 15:

30-day trial version. -
VC-1/H.264/Blu-ray format playback in the trial version is limited to systems with hardware acceleration.
Does not support the playback of HEVC/H.265/Blu-ray 3D content.

I decided just to buy it so as to eliminate the doubt.

If anyone wants a listing of the PowerDVD 15 settings I ended up with, let me know - I've got them written down. Of course, it works today. May not work tomorrow.

#62 ·
Just downloaded and installed the trial version.

I can't get 3D to work from iso. Projector shows frame packing and the screen has the red tint, but the video itself is 2D. Now the strange thing is, the popup menu will be in 3D. I tried right clicking, it's set to auto detect and it's not top bottom or side by side, but MVC so everything should be right. But it doesn't show up in 3D.

The other thing is it's only coming thru in 2Ch audio. I don't even see settings for 5.1 or HD audio. It says it's able to do it on the website but settings don't show any option. I have it set for HDMI.

So unless it can actually do 3D MVC from iso or at least 5.1 lossy audio, I don't have any use for it, I can already play those just fine.

#63 · (Edited)
I do have mine working great in windows 7 and 8.1. I am working toward trying it in windows 10. The missing piece was to install Intel HD Graphics Drivers. After doing that, all was well. In PowerDVD 15, under HDMI (or in the settings nearby), there is a option to allow PowerDVD to decode the audio or to not decode. I chose do not decode HD audio. So, the DTS-HD master audio, for example, works fine. Once 3D works, the Sony switches automatically. As does PowerDVD. I have a box checked that says something like, "Play 3D movies as 3D". And I am not using the SBS or TAB. The Sony switches to 3D by itself.

The first time you click on an iso in PowerDVD 15, it will ask you whether you want it to install an iso driver. With a yes response, it will install said driver and play the iso. And play them from then on. I do not know whether that option is in the trial. And there are other limitations within the trial. Perhaps none that affect your use of it.

#64 ·
It asked to install the driver to play iso and they open just fine, a little slow to get them loaded but that's okay, once they're opened they navigate and play fine, in 2D only. It's strange for 3D it's auto switching the pj into frame packing mode, but it isn't 3D, it's like it's playing two left streams or two right streams. It clearly isn't 3D. I have "play 3D movies as 3D" checked and set to auto 3D mode. I didn't install any drivers, last I checked it was up to date, I'll run a check and see. The audio, I can't remember, I think I left it at default, I'll have to bring it up again and check.

Running Windows 8.1, this is in bootcamp on a Mac Pro. Using Sapphire Radeon 7950, supposed to support 3D and 4k in Windows.

#65 ·
OH.... It does have HDMI 1.4, right? And I don't know about things like Intel HD drivers on a Mac.

#66 · (Edited)
Yeah, it's 1.4.

I wonder if there's a driver issue. For audio, in control panel audio, HDMI says it's limited to 2CH max., I can view the driver details, but the update driver box is grayed out.

The other weird problem I have is with side by side 3D, and I had this problem before Power Dvd, in windows media player. For some reason I can't get video output to fill up the entire projector screen. I don't know if there's an overscan problem or what. It's smaller than full size, resolution is set to 1920x1080. When I play a side by side 3D file, it will fill to the sides but not the top, there's still black bars at top and bottom. Not sure why it does that, it shouldn't fill to the sides if the video output doesn't fill the entire screen to begin with. If it wouldn't do that I could just increase overscan on pj to 3 and it would work fine. But since it goes beyond the output the 3D is messed up, there's too much overlap between the frames. I cannot play side by side correctly in any player. When I boot back into OS X, it fills the screen correctly and side by side plays fine when switched to side by side on projector. I've gone thru all the settings and I can't find anything to fix in Windows. I'm a Mac user, I've been using Windows mainly for Power Directer and Vegas Pro. It works fine on every other Mac I have too, just in Windows it won't work. Not sure if this is a related issue or not. But I don't understand why I can't get the display output to fill the entire screen. This has been bugging me for awhile.

I ran the update driver thing for video and it said it was up to date.

Edit: ok found the and catalyst control center and turned on scaling. That fixed the display for full screen so now side by side works. Didn't fix 3D for PDVD. Still is flat. I can adjust the slider for 3D depth, but it's still just a flat image.

#68 ·
Hi all
I have Asus K72JR laptop which has i3 CPU, 4gb RAM and integrated HD 5450 GPU. I have Win 7 x64, latest vga drivers from Asus (AMD drivers cause problems) and latest K-lite codeck pack. Laptop is connected to Pioneer receiver which then passes thru signal to Benq W1070 projector.
I'm having problems with playing 3D Blu ray videos from that laptop: after a while, a CPU hits the 100% usage and video starts to hick up. It starts around 80% but very quickly rises to >95% and this happens only with 3D blu-ray videos (while being watched in 3D of course). For watching I've used few programs: PowerDVD 13, 14 & 15 and Arcsoft Totalmedia Theatre 6. They all should support and use hardware acceleration which is turned on while playing blu-ray videos. Also videos I play are in .iso format.
If i play video in 2D, cpu usage in PDVD 13, 14 i 15 and TMT players is around 60% but if I play same video in Media player classic using hardware acceleration thru LAV filters, then CPU usage is around 8-10%. Problem is that MP classic can't show 3D frame packing. Also "side by side" work fine in all players. So obviously there's some problem with hardware acceleration when "frame packing" is in use

nay suggestion how to solve this problem?

#73 ·
problem with AMD drivers is that they do install but produce problems, like ATI CCC won't start or hardware acceleration doesn't work at all...
as I've figured out with asus vga drivers, they are the same as AMD version of same version number but only signed by Asus?

#72 ·
It may be a restriction of the trial. I hate it when they do this because it makes it really hard to judge the software whether or not it's worth buying. As it is, I wouldn't buy it. If the 3D not working and HD audio not working is part of the restrictions of the trial I wish they would indicate that.

I tried out Gravity with the 2D to 3D converter. I shut if off pretty quick. It looks about the same as DVDfab's 2D to 3D converter which isn't great at all. As I've said before I would only do it with material that I shot myself in 2D that didn't work for 3D and in limited fashion. But to convert 2D movies on the fly, no way. Not trying to offend anyone, but if you watch feature length movies this way, two things: you're easily impressed and you don't pay enough attention to detail. This is not the way 3D looks in movies and documentaries.

The bubble effect and rolling motion just guts any believable 3D effect. 3D can't just be converted like this. It really doesn't look any better than my built in converter on my LG TV. 3D is how it would look if you were actually standing there with two eyes. There is none of that with this converter. Unless this is another restriction of the trial, I don't know, it doesn't say anything. This is the only 3D that I can get to work, if you can even call it 3D.

#76 ·
It may be a restriction of the trial.
You probably saw the list of restrictions on the trial version of PowerDVD 15 Ultra....

30-day trial version. - VC-1/H.264/Blu-ray format playback in the trial version is limited to systems with hardware acceleration.
Does not support the playback of HEVC/H.265/Blu-ray 3D content.
Does not support the playback of CPRM/DTCP-IP protected content.
Does not support USB Sync and Home Media Server.
Does not support audio extraction from video files.
Does not support CD audio ripping.
A CyberLink account is required to access CyberLink Cloud features.
2GB of free storage in CyberLink Cloud is provided during the trial period.
Media content in CyberLink Drive may be deleted when the trial expires.
CyberLink Cloud for Power Media Player is not supported in the trial version.
Transcoding media before uploading to CyberLink Cloud is not supported in the trial version.

#79 ·
It's an ASRock Z97M Pro4 mobo with a i5-4690K processor (self-built). Both support Intel InTru 3D (which I can only assume means HDMI 1.4 compliance). But shouldn't that not matter? I thought the nvidia card and driver took care of the 3D and the HDCP handshake. Still, it's a good idea to try the onboard graphics as it might rule out an nvidia driver issue.

From what I've read about nvidia 3D, the test it provides at 1080p24hz is supposed to verify that standard bluray 3D framepacking format is working (and the test works on my setup). That's why I suspect it's PowerDVD and not nvidia. I suppose I could be wrong about the nature of the test.

Will try onboard video when I get a chance and post results.

#94 ·
In answer to your question, I agree, it doesn't matter. I was just suggesting doing the test. I have limited experience with this. I just know I struggled to get PowerDVD 15 working. But the two primary things I did was to buy the full version of it and to install the Intel HD drivers. Then it worked directly from my HD3000 Intel PC with no graphics card.

All I do to make iso's is to use AnyDVD to rip the 3D blu rays directly to iso's. That is it. Then PowerDVD 15 plays them in 3D. PowerDVD switches automatically. I'm thinking the BD adviser said all was well, before I installed the Intel HD drivers. But before I installed them, I could get no 3D.

#80 ·
Yep, Cyberlink's gone FUBAR again.

Last night, I created a 3D ISO from a video I just finished on Bahamas scuba diving. I haven't made an ISO for quite sometime and had no problem last time I did, either burning it with PD13, or playing with PDVD15. Well, all that's now changed. PD13 burned a disk that would stall and start every few seconds and the separate ISO file did the same thing with PDVD15. My 2 editing computers are both less than a year old with i7 4990 processors running Windows 8.1, and my dedicated HTPC, also under a year old & running a i7 4790, is running with Windows 7. Same problem on all of them. Furthermore, an older ISO file that used to play just fine on the HTPC now plays choppy.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not going to waste countless hours trying- probably in vain- to solve this latest Cyberlink nonsense, but will just watch the files I render in their origional format which, fortunately, PDVD will still do just fine. As far as contacting their customer support in India, been there, done that, too many times in the past. Always, a useless waste of time.

Unfrikenbelievable!!!

#89 ·
Yep, Cyberlink's gone FUBAR again.

Unfrikenbelievable!!!
Barry I thank God every day that are individuals like yourself willing to take the risk to try out the latest beta products from Cyberlink before they can be foisted on the unsuspecting 3D public! You sir are the Consumer Reports of 3D! :D

#81 ·
Precipitate8: When in PowerDVD15 click on the 3D icon on the bottom and bring up More 3D Preferences. Make sure that Play 3D Media in 3D is checked. Then click on the Display Devices tab and try selecting different displays other than Auto Detect. PowerDVD will work differently than just sending test directly from the PC. If your PC HDMI cable is routed through a receiver, then plug it in directly to the projector. Sometimes the receiver blocks the notification from the projector that it is a 3D projector. Make sure your projector is on and the correct HDMI input is selected before the PC is on. When the bluray is playing, right click mouse on the screen and bring up options and click on 3D source and make sure that it is correct. Also, the 3D icon on the bottom should switch to a 3D cube when PowerDVD switches to 3D. If that isn't happening, then click on the 3D icon and force it to change. I've had to do a lot of clicking around to get some of my 3D videos to work--not just blurays, but in all case was able to do it by setting and resetting the 3D options in PowerDVD.

Barry: I think WTF is in order...;o).

#87 ·
All good suggestions; all attempted. I was sure to try directly connected to the PJ to ensure an EDID problem didn't exist (same result).

When I first launch the disc, the 3D icon becomes a cube, but then at some point during launching of the disc, it switches back. If I click on the 3D icon (hovering over says 'Enable 3D') it won't activate. The 3D source options are all greyed out and unclickable. The information shows an MVC file is playing, but the image is not 3D. Trying the various 3D output settings either gives the same result or no playback (can't remember which one gives no playback). But the ones that should definitely work (with my desktop resolution set to those resolutions) are the 1.4 HDMI 1080P24 and the 720p60.

It seems like cyberlink tries to play in 3D, but sends some signal that confuses my projector (causing it to search for the appropriate resolution) and by the time my projector settles on the 3D resolution, powerdvd has already decided just to play it in 2D (and then won't allow me to change to 3D). Doesn't matter if I set the PJ in 3D before hand. The Optoma 141x is specifically rated for 1.4 HDMI 1080P24 and the 720p60 (so is the Denon 2112 CI, but direct PJ connection has the same results).

So, color me confused :)

#82 ·
Bob, at least in my case, I think the problem goes deeper. Last night, when I burned a disk and ISO in PD13, the authoring process went MUCH faster than it ever had in the past with the end result the same stalling, choppy, mess with both disk and ISO. When the process completed, the Burned Successfully box popped up lIke it's supposed to. The disk was being played by a BD player with nothing to do with PDVD15. I got the same result authoring it on both of my computers. The file I was attempting to convert played just fine with PDVD. So, it would now seem that I have a problem which is effecting PD13 with regard to creating ISO files.

#83 ·
Barry, but you said that an ISO you produced in the past, which worked in PowerDVD, now doesn't work either?? Time to reinstall PowerDVD15 and PD13 I think. I did have one problem making a bluray out of PD13 in the past and it played choppy. I then turned off the computer (not restart, but off), then turned on again and created a new project using the same input file from Edius and it produced a good bluray the next time. I've also had several instances where PD13 would hang in the past, but not lately. Have you loaded some new software recently since the last time you made a good bluray? Perhaps something with a codec in it?

#86 ·
If it happenned, it was in a a past auto update and nothing I intentionally did. At present, on my work stations, I have all auto updates- including Windows- turned off and anti virus disabled. I only use these computers for editing and not for any Web browsing or other uses. I do, however, install updates to graphic software with the exception of Edius 7.5. I'm very content with 7.42. The way I look at it, as long as Edius is running well- which it is- not much else matters:)

#90 ·
Just for laughs, here's my first response from cyberlink after providing them more information than in my posts here (basically, all the things they ask for) and a dxdiag:

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

I understand that you are unable to play 3D Blu-ray or 3D iso files in CyberLink PowerDVD 15 software.

In regards to your concern, please follow the workaround steps below:

1) Please ensure to update your VGA/Sound card driver to latest. You may contact your VGA card manufacturer or the computer manufacturer to get the latest drivers.

If issue persists, please provide the following information for further analysis:

1). Provide me screenshot of the error message with full background.

To take a screen shot, please press Print Screen key on your keyboard when this error comes. Then go to Start>programs>Accessories>Paint. Paste the screen capture there by pressing Ctrl+V or alt+Edit+Paste. Save the file and send to me for analysis.

2). Send me the Blu-Ray titles (with region code) that you are trying to play.

3). Send me the results of the BD/3D advisor which you can download from the link below:

http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/bd-support/diagnosis.do

Once I received the information asked, I will be able to assist you further in resolving your concern, in better manner.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do

Thanks and Regards,

Neelam
CyberLink Technical Support

#91 ·
OK, here's a good one. I Just did a hail Mary and tried directly making an ISO from a .mp4 Edius Dual Stream 3D file. In the past, this has not worked and I've had to convert the file in Power Director 13 to a 3D H.264 .m2ts MVC file. Now, it's the opposite. The Power Director .m2ts MVC won't work correctly and the Edius L/R Dual Stream file makes a perfect ISO.

None of this makes sense to me:eek::eek::eek: But, it works:) Oh, well.

#92 ·
Barry, I've been making 3D ISOs from dual-stream .MP4 all year and they worked perfectly. I guess I didn't realize you were doing the conversion all this time. There is still more mystery here, though, as to why it used to work and now doesn't and vice-versa.

#97 ·
I used the latest version: 15.28.22.64.3517

Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8/8.1 64-bit

It worked with windows 7 and 8.1. I installed Windows 10 on a separate HD, but haven't taken the time to finish it.

The significance is that I had all the windows updates installed and struggled to get 3D working. I tried the trial versions of programs said to work and I messed with cables and other voodoo kind of stuff. But I hadn't thought of updating the Intel HD Graphics driver. But as soon as I did, 3D worked fine.

#101 ·
Well, here's a new twist. I just discovered that PDVD15 has a bit of a blue chrominance problem. Yesterday I, uploaded a new shark video to YT. When I watched both the origional SBS version I uploaded and the YT upload using PDVD15, the blues of this underwater piece looked quite oversaturated. I spent several hours today reworking it with the waveform & vectorscopes in Edius. When I watched it in PDVD15, the blues were still oversaturated in spite of extensive corrections. Then I watched the same video with PDVD14, which I still also have installed on my HTPC, and it looked perfect. No oversaturated blues. I looked for a way to adjust colors in 15 but found none. So, at least for watching underwater content on my projector, definitely PDVD14.

ON another note I used to be able to play ISOs with 15, now they play but are choppy. I uninstalled it and reinstalled the origional version, and no change. I'm wondering if this could be the result of a Windows update which might of contained a new driver, etc.

#103 ·
PowerDVD15 does allow enhanced settings. I use them. Click on the settings icon (two gears next to the 3D icon at the bottom). Then click on Video, Audio, Subtitles. Is Video Enhancements checked? Click on it and you'll see you can enhance color, etc. There are two more tabs for additional advancement.

That said, I'm noticing a difference with YouTube directly. Some youtubes are showing more saturation than in the past. For example my Aquarium video is now more saturated than it was originally when I watch it. I can't get the flash version of youtube to work, only the HTML5 player, so I think that's what's doing it.

#104 ·
Thanks Bob, I'll check out that setting and see what happens. Do you still have PDVD14? !f so, play the same YT video on it and 15 and see if you see a difference. It may be that that 15 is the problem, not YT. I'm wondering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.