3D specialized software and gadgets - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #61 of 68 Old 04-10-2017, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
great, i like your mountains and the clouds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 04-20-2017, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Don, I can see the issues now too. At least the Kudrone does 4K and can be kept close within reason, and is a great way to experiment in your backyard. If you need a bigger "boat" then you can always buy one that has more industrial strength.
It looks like the Kudrone is a scam and may be gone like the other two drone scams recently. Seems they were caught using drone video from a competitor's drone in their advertising and the claims made can't be met for the price of $99. Claims that the videos showing the Kudrone were actually mockups of a competing drone and not the actual $99 toy as claimed.

I see the Hovercam Passport has been acquired by Apple and the Hovercam is being sold by Apple exclusively.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/H...slid--product-
Supposedly, they have them in stock at our local Apple store for $499. I may go out and have a look. It is now an Apple exclusive product, like the Beats Headphones. Note, the Hovercam is less than 250 grams weight so it is not regulated by the FAA, meaning you can fly it without registering.

Meanwhile, I have been learning to fly the dji Mavic Pro. The camera quality is amazing and is as high quality as my Sony AX53. The image is rock stable when with gusty winds. Yesterday, I crashed it for the first time. It was about 150 ft away and I couldn't see nor hear it and was just using the controller to fly it. You are supposed to legally keep it in visual sight at all times but that is silly since it is too small and very stealth like. Mine was in front of a treeline and it just blended in. I thought I was in one place and backed up and hit a tree branch overhead in my back yard. It got it hung up in the tree. The propellers all stopped but I could find it with the GPS expanded out full on the controller. Just walked around and matched up my position and the drone location and then I was right under it stuck in the tree branch. The GPS screen is so accurate it shows 1" on screen is = to 1 ft, fully expanded! No damage. Lucky nothing broke.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K
post #63 of 68 Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
It looks like the Kudrone is a scam and may be gone like the other two drone scams recently. Seems they were caught using drone video from a competitor's drone in their advertising and the claims made can't be met for the price of $99. Claims that the videos showing the Kudrone were actually mockups of a competing drone and not the actual $99 toy as claimed.

Don, I'm usually smarter than this, but every now and then, I get caught with my brain up my butt. I saw all the scam reports just now. I have asked for my campaign contributions to be refunded. I will also contact Indiegogo--although that's probably going to be a buyer beware conversation. --Lesson learned. Thanks for letting me know.

post #64 of 68 Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Bob- I was quite concerned too back when I spent a little over $200 on the Giroptic360. But I first saw it at CES and then after investing, saw it again the following year at CES. That isn't a guarantee but the difference between Kudrone and Giroptic was I had my hands on their first cameras and played with one. Their excuses for the year delay had to do with problems with quality control at the manufacturing ( according to their excuse ), so I let the money ride. They also offered refunds due to the delay. Very few pulled out. I love the Giroptic360 for what it does and only understand that the latest versions of these spherical cams are now 4K. That is mostly why I also bought into that Two Eyes, fully accepting that it may go bust and I will lose my $239. It's a wait and see until August when they said mine will ship. ???

Anyway, I want to go have a look at the Hoovercam Passport from Apple. The big negative so far with these drones is all the legal problems with flying them. I don't mind the common sense limitations, like flying them to spy on your neighbor, or around the runway at an airport, or above the heads of players at a sporting event, parade, etc. But some of the restrictions are way too draconian. The Hoovercam is light enough that it is not regulated, as in being exempt from Federal regulations. So maybe having one in my kit could be an asset. I have to do more research on it with the technical limitations too. Like what sort of safety backup is in place should it go out of range. Will Apple build in a "Find my iphone" feature that works very well now?

On the 3D front, I'm getting close to testing Relaxman's 3D conversion soon. I have more questions on the process in editing but what he did really excites me for some 3D projects I have in mind with the Mavic Pro.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K
post #65 of 68 Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just spent a couple of hours going through some 4K video clips from Africa and making 3D MPOs out of some of them (this is using the 4K burst mode on my 2D camera) and it works great for panning movements and especially for moving shots on the road. I haven't tried the video conversion yet as I'm still looking for video that will be good for it.
post #66 of 68 Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Dropping the Hoovercam for now. Too many limitations and it can get lost if it goes out of range or the wifi signal is interfered with.

Bob- check out this Dobby drone for a drone that does not require FAA restrictions: Price is $350

My 3D videos and more
post #67 of 68 Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Don, The Dobby is what I thought the Kudrone was going to do. By the way, I found a link that said the Kudrone was really a 4k 15fps camera when implemented. That said, the Dobby does everything the Kudrone said it should do. The Dobby does use stabilization, but only at 1080p, which based on the videos is more like 720p, so I'm suspicious of the that. Regardless, it appears to be for sale and does work out of the box. I sent an email to Kudrone asking for my money, but have not heard from them. If I don't hear by tomorrow, I'm going to raise heck with Indiegogo.
post #68 of 68 Old Today, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Bob- did you see where the Kudrone web page now has a disclaimer that the video they show was not recorded with the Kudrone? I saw that after I scrolled way down the page.

The 1080p output from a 4K sensor is how the image stabilization has to work if it is digital. They all work the same unless using a gimbal. Even the Dobby works this way. But even the Dobby lacks recropping the video on the fly to full screen, so you get these black bars and triangles around the edge of the video. So not only is the video soft as in 1080p but if you then zoom in so that the stabilized image removes all those black areas, you get not even 720, but more likely SD or 480p. The image gets real ugly very fast. The only true way to shoot with a drone is to use a gimbal optical stabilized recording. Now you can get true 4K, image stabilized and it looks great.

So what about this 15 fps in 4K? Most likely this has to do with the bandwidth of the internal recording memory. In order to record 4K at 30fps with a 60Mbs, the standard for UHD so it looks like UHD, you need to have a memory card that is capable of 95Mbs so that no frames will be dropped. I have tried with my AX53 to use slower cards and they just drop too many frames. Not only the card has to be fast enough on record speed, but the processor has to work that fast too. Then there is the battery life, Higher recording quality eats up battery and these tiny toys just have no run time to begin with.

From my research, the Dobby seems to offer the most bang for the buck and is available today. You can get 15 minutes of flight recording the SD quality ( as we measure it ) by buying 3 batteries that last 5 minutes each flight. ( that will run about $450 for a 3 battery kit ) It does have GPS so you can locate the thing if lost. The recording will stop to preserve battery to land when the battery is low. But it will not automatically return to home when there is still enough battery left and loses wifi signal. Basically these light weight drones are not much good for anything except flying right in front of you a few feet away.

If I get one of the lightweight drones it will mainly be because of it's size, but I will wait for the technology to improve.

I have a few complaints with the dji Mavic Pro but most of them are operational right now. The controller ergonomics is horrible. The iphone is hard to see in bright sunlight and with a sun shield, the home button is difficult to reach. The image on my iphone screen is color inaccurate that scared me at first until I saw the recording was UHD and perfect quality. Basically assembling the drone for flight is easy and slick. But that controller is a complete mess to assemble. Hard to see the iphone screen in bright sunlight and I can't figure out why the image from the drone makes all the green trees pink.

The gimbal performance is the best I have used, making every video rock steady as if it was on a tripod or a Hollywood movie style smoothness.

I have 3 batteries and each runs about 25 minutes. But the iphone using full screen brightness and all the other stuff running will kill the battery in about an hour. So an iphone quick charger battery would need to be carried along. There is no way to run the phone off a bigger battery because the RC controller plugs into the charging lightning connector on the phone.
I want to experiment with my ipad air 2 to see if that works any better. I will need to invent my own mount for the controller as there seems to be nothing yet on the market. ipad air 2 may be the answer to some of the problems I have with the ergonomics.

My 3D videos and more

Last edited by Don Landis; Today at 06:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components