3D specialized software and gadgets - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #61 of 102 Old 04-10-2017, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
great, i like your mountains and the clouds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 102 Old 04-20-2017, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Don, I can see the issues now too. At least the Kudrone does 4K and can be kept close within reason, and is a great way to experiment in your backyard. If you need a bigger "boat" then you can always buy one that has more industrial strength.
It looks like the Kudrone is a scam and may be gone like the other two drone scams recently. Seems they were caught using drone video from a competitor's drone in their advertising and the claims made can't be met for the price of $99. Claims that the videos showing the Kudrone were actually mockups of a competing drone and not the actual $99 toy as claimed.

I see the Hovercam Passport has been acquired by Apple and the Hovercam is being sold by Apple exclusively.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/H...slid--product-
Supposedly, they have them in stock at our local Apple store for $499. I may go out and have a look. It is now an Apple exclusive product, like the Beats Headphones. Note, the Hovercam is less than 250 grams weight so it is not regulated by the FAA, meaning you can fly it without registering.

Meanwhile, I have been learning to fly the dji Mavic Pro. The camera quality is amazing and is as high quality as my Sony AX53. The image is rock stable when with gusty winds. Yesterday, I crashed it for the first time. It was about 150 ft away and I couldn't see nor hear it and was just using the controller to fly it. You are supposed to legally keep it in visual sight at all times but that is silly since it is too small and very stealth like. Mine was in front of a treeline and it just blended in. I thought I was in one place and backed up and hit a tree branch overhead in my back yard. It got it hung up in the tree. The propellers all stopped but I could find it with the GPS expanded out full on the controller. Just walked around and matched up my position and the drone location and then I was right under it stuck in the tree branch. The GPS screen is so accurate it shows 1" on screen is = to 1 ft, fully expanded! No damage. Lucky nothing broke.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #63 of 102 Old 04-21-2017, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
It looks like the Kudrone is a scam and may be gone like the other two drone scams recently. Seems they were caught using drone video from a competitor's drone in their advertising and the claims made can't be met for the price of $99. Claims that the videos showing the Kudrone were actually mockups of a competing drone and not the actual $99 toy as claimed.

Don, I'm usually smarter than this, but every now and then, I get caught with my brain up my butt. I saw all the scam reports just now. I have asked for my campaign contributions to be refunded. I will also contact Indiegogo--although that's probably going to be a buyer beware conversation. --Lesson learned. Thanks for letting me know.

post #64 of 102 Old 04-21-2017, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Bob- I was quite concerned too back when I spent a little over $200 on the Giroptic360. But I first saw it at CES and then after investing, saw it again the following year at CES. That isn't a guarantee but the difference between Kudrone and Giroptic was I had my hands on their first cameras and played with one. Their excuses for the year delay had to do with problems with quality control at the manufacturing ( according to their excuse ), so I let the money ride. They also offered refunds due to the delay. Very few pulled out. I love the Giroptic360 for what it does and only understand that the latest versions of these spherical cams are now 4K. That is mostly why I also bought into that Two Eyes, fully accepting that it may go bust and I will lose my $239. It's a wait and see until August when they said mine will ship. ???

Anyway, I want to go have a look at the Hoovercam Passport from Apple. The big negative so far with these drones is all the legal problems with flying them. I don't mind the common sense limitations, like flying them to spy on your neighbor, or around the runway at an airport, or above the heads of players at a sporting event, parade, etc. But some of the restrictions are way too draconian. The Hoovercam is light enough that it is not regulated, as in being exempt from Federal regulations. So maybe having one in my kit could be an asset. I have to do more research on it with the technical limitations too. Like what sort of safety backup is in place should it go out of range. Will Apple build in a "Find my iphone" feature that works very well now?

On the 3D front, I'm getting close to testing Relaxman's 3D conversion soon. I have more questions on the process in editing but what he did really excites me for some 3D projects I have in mind with the Mavic Pro.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #65 of 102 Old 04-21-2017, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just spent a couple of hours going through some 4K video clips from Africa and making 3D MPOs out of some of them (this is using the 4K burst mode on my 2D camera) and it works great for panning movements and especially for moving shots on the road. I haven't tried the video conversion yet as I'm still looking for video that will be good for it.
post #66 of 102 Old 04-21-2017, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Dropping the Hoovercam for now. Too many limitations and it can get lost if it goes out of range or the wifi signal is interfered with.

Bob- check out this Dobby drone for a drone that does not require FAA restrictions: Price is $350

My 3D videos and more
post #67 of 102 Old 04-21-2017, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Don, The Dobby is what I thought the Kudrone was going to do. By the way, I found a link that said the Kudrone was really a 4k 15fps camera when implemented. That said, the Dobby does everything the Kudrone said it should do. The Dobby does use stabilization, but only at 1080p, which based on the videos is more like 720p, so I'm suspicious of the that. Regardless, it appears to be for sale and does work out of the box. I sent an email to Kudrone asking for my money, but have not heard from them. If I don't hear by tomorrow, I'm going to raise heck with Indiegogo.
post #68 of 102 Old 04-22-2017, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Bob- did you see where the Kudrone web page now has a disclaimer that the video they show was not recorded with the Kudrone? I saw that after I scrolled way down the page.

The 1080p output from a 4K sensor is how the image stabilization has to work if it is digital. They all work the same unless using a gimbal. Even the Dobby works this way. But even the Dobby lacks recropping the video on the fly to full screen, so you get these black bars and triangles around the edge of the video. So not only is the video soft as in 1080p but if you then zoom in so that the stabilized image removes all those black areas, you get not even 720, but more likely SD or 480p. The image gets real ugly very fast. The only true way to shoot with a drone is to use a gimbal optical stabilized recording. Now you can get true 4K, image stabilized and it looks great.

So what about this 15 fps in 4K? Most likely this has to do with the bandwidth of the internal recording memory. In order to record 4K at 30fps with a 60Mbs, the standard for UHD so it looks like UHD, you need to have a memory card that is capable of 95Mbs so that no frames will be dropped. I have tried with my AX53 to use slower cards and they just drop too many frames. Not only the card has to be fast enough on record speed, but the processor has to work that fast too. Then there is the battery life, Higher recording quality eats up battery and these tiny toys just have no run time to begin with.

From my research, the Dobby seems to offer the most bang for the buck and is available today. You can get 15 minutes of flight recording the SD quality ( as we measure it ) by buying 3 batteries that last 5 minutes each flight. ( that will run about $450 for a 3 battery kit ) It does have GPS so you can locate the thing if lost. The recording will stop to preserve battery to land when the battery is low. But it will not automatically return to home when there is still enough battery left and loses wifi signal. Basically these light weight drones are not much good for anything except flying right in front of you a few feet away.

If I get one of the lightweight drones it will mainly be because of it's size, but I will wait for the technology to improve.

I have a few complaints with the dji Mavic Pro but most of them are operational right now. The controller ergonomics is horrible. The iphone is hard to see in bright sunlight and with a sun shield, the home button is difficult to reach. The image on my iphone screen is color inaccurate that scared me at first until I saw the recording was UHD and perfect quality. Basically assembling the drone for flight is easy and slick. But that controller is a complete mess to assemble. Hard to see the iphone screen in bright sunlight and I can't figure out why the image from the drone makes all the green trees pink.

The gimbal performance is the best I have used, making every video rock steady as if it was on a tripod or a Hollywood movie style smoothness.

I have 3 batteries and each runs about 25 minutes. But the iphone using full screen brightness and all the other stuff running will kill the battery in about an hour. So an iphone quick charger battery would need to be carried along. There is no way to run the phone off a bigger battery because the RC controller plugs into the charging lightning connector on the phone.
I want to experiment with my ipad air 2 to see if that works any better. I will need to invent my own mount for the controller as there seems to be nothing yet on the market. ipad air 2 may be the answer to some of the problems I have with the ergonomics.

My 3D videos and more

Last edited by Don Landis; 04-22-2017 at 06:43 AM.
post #69 of 102 Old 05-13-2017, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Although this is being touted as a VR camera, I'm posting it here, since it's really just a half-frame SBS 3D camera. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...d-storytelling

It's made to produce VR (cardboard) headset video only apparently. But not 360º.
post #70 of 102 Old 05-13-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Bob- have you tried viewing simple 3D SBS with your Goggles? It works, try it.

My 3D videos and more
post #71 of 102 Old 05-13-2017, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

With the recent discovery that I had no way to see Vimeo in my HT and attempts to use the www browser on my BR player being way too awkward, I did a little research and discovered something I had not seen before. A "PC stick" It seems to me the easiest low cost way to add PC web surfing and media streaming to my Home theater.

https://www.amazon.com/Azulle-1063-A...CZS0R&th=1#Ask

My 3D videos and more
post #72 of 102 Old 05-14-2017, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Amazing little device if it works. Here's another cheaper option, though only 2GB of RAM. Might be worth a try from Amazon, since they do have a good return policy.

https://www.amazon.com/Azulle-Quantu...dp/B00X4O6GRK/
post #73 of 102 Old 05-14-2017, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Check out the Rembrandt 3D tablet thread, this might be nice to have for 3D on the go. Also, I see they have glasses-free displays. They have a 23" monitor 1080p, it's lenticular glasses free, DVI hookup, might make for a nice monitor for editing. I'm going to inquire on price and if it will accept side by side or top/bottom formats.

http://rembrandt3d.com/media-2/as3d-tv-23/

This line intentionally left blank.
post #74 of 102 Old 05-14-2017, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tom, interesting. That would be quite a feat to divide 3D image frames into 28 slices on the fly for a lenticular screen to maintain good video. I'm thinking you'd need a lot of horsepower to pull that off. I see they do 2D to 3D conversion using contrast depth mapping, which is what the big guys use for conversions. That might really look good on the fly. Can't wait for you buy one and tell us all about it?
post #75 of 102 Old 05-14-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not sure on hookup and signal, if it can take a standard top/bottom 3D format and use that for source or if it just converts 2D to 3D thru proprietary software. Need more information. I sent an inquiry on it so maybe I'll hear back. If it's just for converting a 2D source then I'll pass. But if you could send it standard 3D formats that you can render or if it detects a top/bottom signal then it would work in NLE for glasses-free editing.

post #76 of 102 Old 05-14-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Bob- the 2GB version is a few bucks cheaper but it is limited on the number of open apps and tabs in Chrome. I know what I can do with my surface Pro and 4GB Ram so it was not an option. Intel had a little faster CPU but it went over my max budget. There are lots of reviews on YT for these PC sticks. All good for this one. And, it is capable of upgrading to win 10 Pro 64 bit too.

Should be here next week. I have one HDMI port left that I had been using to plug in my Surface Pro or ipad so this will now be a permanent PC for the HT.

My 3D videos and more
post #77 of 102 Old 05-14-2017, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 164
For the last few years, I've been using a dedicated HTPC PC- i7 with 16gb ram & SSD. My main reason for buying it was to be able to play my raw and produced 2D & 3D content through the projector without burning to disk as well as for streaming Amazon Prime, & YT, ect. Up until very recently, it was fine for streaming 3D YT. Unfortunately, that has now changed. The other motivation for having a dedicated PC was to be able to use a full wireless keyboard from the home theater sofa. I'm assuming that this would be possible with these little sticks (?). If so, they might be a good way to go.
post #78 of 102 Old 05-14-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

That's the idea Barry. I plan to connect it to my ethernet switch with an ethernet cable but it has wifi as well. I just don't want to add too much wifi in the HT for streaming media. The Logitec keyboard and touch pad are wireless. The PC stick comes with a short male to female HDMI extension so it would need to stick out of the front HDMI port. Reviewers claim it makes your HT screen look just like a big screen desktop screen from a regular PC. I would imagine all 3D would need to be T/B or SBS and then your TV or projector is just put into that mode or if like mine can sense the 3D meta data and do that automatically.

I still will use my system of rendering an iso file of my 3D projects and these will play fine from my OPPO player's USB port. I have 10 2 and 4 TB hard drives with videos on them so I haven't burned a BD-R in years. This PC stick also has a USB port and I should check out the connection to my hard drive stack. With the Cyberlink PDVD15 player, it will play the iso files very well which is how I play them here in the edit suite. I like iso files because I can render with menus and accessible chapters for a big project. While I post a video of a day on the island on YT, for Home use I would make a full weeks of island visits as chapters for a complete cruise of say 5 islands. Some of these project iso files are 4 hours long with 30-45 minute chapters.

The OPPO player was discontinued and updated to remove iso play capability and I always was concerned if the player broke, I would lose the access. But OPPO has been good to me when the drive tray failed, they sent me a part to repair it free! But I backups and options. The PC stick will do that without the need of an expensive and large footprint box in the HT.

Barry- sidenote- When are you returning to Cozumel again? When there could you inquire about Cozumel snorkeling locations? I would like to do some there the next time I go on a cruise to that part. My requirements are ideally reef beginning at 3-10 ft deep.

If any of you all are looking for a really really great 3D video of underwater coral reefs, Check out The Last Reef, Cities Beneath the Sea. It has some of the best 3D color and depth I have ever seen. In the credits the 3D was shot in 4K but production in 2K 3D for compatibility.

https://www.amazon.com/IMAX-Cities-B...p;qid=&sr=

A UHD and 3D disk combo for $19, what a bargain. Your eyes will smile with the quality. Of course my 4K PJ upscaled the 3D 1080p to UHD 60 fps which was great.

My 3D videos and more
post #79 of 102 Old 05-14-2017, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Don, with a HTPC, you don't need to rely on just SBS or top/bottom. PDVD plays MVC files both from its own as well as the Edius Dual Frame format, just fine. In fact, that's the way I generally view them.

As for the best way to connect, I'm definitely with on connecting everything with ethernet instead of WiFi streaming. WiFi is way susceptible to interference. All of my desktop PCs are hardwired.

Thanks for the tip on that underwater feature. Based on your recommendation, I'm going to order it this afternoon!
post #80 of 102 Old 05-14-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Barry, the only way I know to generate a full Blu Ray like experience with 3D videos complete with menus, chapters represented with graphics is by creating an iso package. I do that with power director. I have never seen a good playback experience with Edius as it gets throttled in frames per second the more stuff you add to the timeline. A rendered file is just the video clip and that plays fine from a compatible player but it is just the simple video. Besides, the PC on a stick, IS a HTPC, just smaller. But it's real benefit for me will be the web browser and Chrome with YT. Plus a way to just stick a micro SD card in and play raw video files from the camera. I know you can do all that with the big guy but I would never plan to add a full tower to my HT. ipad and Surface Pro was awkward but I have the adapter to do it. This should be really much simpler.

My 3D videos and more
post #81 of 102 Old 05-14-2017, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If any of you all are looking for a really really great 3D video of underwater coral reefs, Check out The Last Reef, Cities Beneath the Sea. It has some of the best 3D color and depth I have ever seen. In the credits the 3D was shot in 4K but production in 2K 3D for compatibility.
I agree, this is one of the best underwater docs I've seen. I need to view it again and the other docs I picked up last year. There were a slew of really good ones: Humpback Whales, Wonders of the Arctic, Journey to Space and Flight of the Butterflies. Haven't seen anything out this year for 3D docs on Blu ray.

I considered adding an Apple TV because they're cheap now and they run the Plex app I use, but my Mac Mini's don't take up that much space and they're a full computer as well. My Mini's work with wireless remote and keyboard, HDMI port and have a SD slot, gigabit ethernet and all that. Only thing with running 3D on these and I assume any of the stick devices vs PDVD or built in apps is you have to do manual 3D switching on display, but I don't mind doing that. I tried testing after I added that 3D layout tag and Plex did nothing to auto switch display, it may work in other media players, I haven't really looked into it further. But I would assume you'll have to manually switch 3D mode on any of the stick devices.

For full HD 3D, there's also the Kodi boxes like the KD Links or media8er, you can load up your iso files onto an internal drive and play them. I was considering going with the KD Links because it had pretty good reviews and for full HD 3D but I don't find half resolution that much different so I never picked one up. Reviews also indicated it didn't play files well over network and worked better off the 3.5" internal storage. The KD Links is 159.00. They also have a 4K version the A300, and now I'm thinking about it again, because it would be nice to have a device to throw my 4K content on besides using my edit station, which is the only way I have now to play 4K. The A300 is 219. but I read it doesn't work with 3D as well as the older 720. I suppose I'll just save up and get a new Mini, the start at 500 but they also display 4K. Oh, well time to upgrade again.

http://www.kdlinks.com/index.php/hom...k-1186-3d.html

post #82 of 102 Old 05-15-2017, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I assume any of the stick devices vs PDVD or built in apps is you have to do manual 3D switching on display
I should know this week! I do know my projector is compliant so all we need is the source device to send the proper SBS meta data and it should be automatic. Auto works with my Samsung K8500 player anyway and it's 3D apps including YT. Might not matter, but my Samsung Player is also connected to the HDCP2.2 Port 2 directly to the projector, bypassing the Denon receiver. The Denon AVR is connected to the Port 1 and I will be adding the PC Stick to the Denon. That makes all HDMI path through the Denon, not compliant with HDCP2.2. The newer 675ES has HDCP2.2 on both PJ inputs but I would still need to upgrade the Denon to have that compliance. That would be a horrendous cost for no real benefit.

My 3D videos and more
post #83 of 102 Old 05-15-2017, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Panasonic AG-3DA1/3D Rendering/BD 24p Conversion

Hi all. Sorry to interrupt the current discussion but really need your expert advice.
I have been shooting amateur 3D with my Sony TD10 since 2012, as it provided the most immersive experience, at least for me. My family loves it as well.
I was quite surprised to find out that there has been nothing in the works for prosumer 3D camcorders.
Recently on this forum, I found a solution for my biggest issue - transferring 3D footage onto Blu Ray, so it would be watchable on my projector system that did not handle well files played through OPPO. Tons of visible artifacts, blur, lost resolution etc., however it looked good on Sony 3D TV played through the camera itself.

1) Now, I have had issues rendering videos in Vegas. Besides the fact that it takes hours, every 30-40 minute footage loses audio at some point. It starts breaking up and then disappears completely. When I render it again, it happens at exactly the same point in exactly the same manner. Not sure what it is and if there is a fix for it. Could be a sync problem.

2) Bought PowerDirector 15. Rendering is much faster but the end result in 24p is unacceptable with visible judder. I found tsMuxer freeware that I used to create ISO from a PD15 MP4 rendered in 60p (don't know if it made sense). Then, burned it onto Blu Ray using Vegas. The resulting video was flawless, compared to PD and it took only 10 seconds in tsMuxer to convert to BD 24p.
The only drawback is that I cannot add menus, since it is out of PD.

3) Accidentally (have not bought anything on Ebay for awhile), aquired Panasonic AG-3DA1 in nearly new condition. Apparently, it was never used, with everything neatly situated in unopened original packaging. I initially decided to part with it but am now at odds, as I am far from being a pro. It shoots native 24p and I presume, overall quality is much higher than Sony's.
The problem is, I do not know if there is a way to edit and render two separate left and right streams in PowerDirector 15, as I really would like to avoid the hassle of dealing with Vegas (have 12 and 14). I am even less inclined to purchase any additional software. With nothing new available on the 3D market, is it worth keeping the camera or too complex for someone like me?

I would really appreciate any input on any of the above.
post #84 of 102 Old 05-15-2017, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

1: Audio issue. lol! I know exactly what your issue is because I had it too and it would happen in any render output engine. I didn't discover it at first because I was rendering short 5 minute clips but once I did longer renders it became apparent. Audio was fine for first 10 to 15 minutes and then it would start to go in and out and then gone completely.

What are your system specs? List speed, number or cores, memory HDD speed and capacity. And also what version of Vegas Pro and build number?

The audio issue, at least for me was due to using a 5400 RPM HDD, after upgrading system to an SSD, that fixed the audio issue. Also, I upgraded processors and memory, but I'm pretty sure the audio issue was HDD related. Yes, the audio issue was very frustrating because it didn't happen in Power Director but VP behaves very differently. It's also picky about what codecs are used but you're fine with AVCHD files.

2) Blu ray rendering, I take it your using the TD10 files which are interlaced frame source and not progressive and then setting disc output to 1080p24 so that will cause some pull down issues going from 60i to 24p. Some NLE's handle this better than other's. I believe Edius handles 60i to 24p fairly well. —I assume TD10 camera because 3DA1 files are not directly importable into PD. More on this in next paragraph. Have you tried 720p60 to see if that looks better to you? You may want to do the conversion in VP first then import to PD for disc authoring.

3) As I mentioned before, PD will not take the dual streams from the 3DA1 directly. You'll need a more advanced NLE like VP or Edius. You can edit your footage there and if you want to bring the footage into PD you can for disc burning if you want. I've done that before because I prefer PD's 3D menus vs no menus in VP. Also, PD has some 3D title effects that are pretty nice so I also use it for that. One thing of note though on the 3D discs on PD is that they do not use the official MVC rendering that is trademarked by Sony. I've scanned the discs and they don't contain the flag for MVC. They are full HD dual streams though in top bottom frame packing and actually higher bit rate vs Sony MVC output in VP, and as far as I know they will work in just about any 3D Blu ray player. They won't work in DVDfab as they're not recognized as a 3D disc, so you can't make digital rip from disc.

I can walk you through the steps in more detail if you're still interested. As for keeping the camera(s), and 3D really that's up to you to decide but depending on your system, you may need to upgrade a bit. Something to consider is that 3D is commercially a niche market so you really need to love it to stick with it. 3D Flat panel market is pretty much dead and as you mentioned 3D cameras haven't been released since the TD30 which I believe is the only one now you can still get new (new old stock via Amazon).

post #85 of 102 Old 05-15-2017, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

avantart-

I agree with everything Tom told you. We've all been there and suffered through the troubles you mention.

I'll add just a couple of comments-

We've all l;earned that depending on what you want to do for playing your 3D, you will find using multiple editing systems, each with their pros and cons to your advantage. I need and use PD15, Vegas Pro 13, and Edius, often all three in the same project.

I also have a pair of Sony TD10's and while they do not do good quality for Blu Ray due to the 29.97i frame rate, I like them for times when I need a small 3D cam to take on a boat. Other times I shoot with the Panasonic Z10K where high quality of a 3 Chip 3D camera shines over the TD10 since it shoots in 24p, perfect for Blu Ray output. Of course, we have little tricks developed over the years. I sometimes shoot 1080 24p with two TD's in sync for 3D. But it requires special hardware to sync them.

Tom is correct on the edit computer. You want a system that is fast and has lots of memory. Plus, real important, a media storage drive that is much faster than a regular hard drive. I use really fast PCIe storage, faster than SSD but SSD is adequate.

3D TV's are still available but you will need to find them in Korea, Japan, and China. I ordered my last one from Korea. Some have English menus but not all. If you already have a 3D monitor for editing you're set.

Oh, Vegas 12 had some issues with 3D rendering that was never fixed so I would stop using it since you have a later version, I believe you said 14 which is released by another company since Sony sold the product license. 13 is the last of the Sony brand.

My 3D videos and more
post #86 of 102 Old 05-15-2017, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

back to new gadgets-

I got the PC stick from Azulle in and tested it out and could not get anything to display, plugging it into the Denon front HDMI port. A little help from their support forum, I was advised to test in a regular TV with HDMI so I pluged it in here in the edit room and it worked but I had to do the new install of windows 10 just like a new computer. That took about an hour. Everything worked fine. Took the PC stick to the HT room and tried it again in the Denon front port and it just showed the Azulle boot logo and then the video went black. I checked the port with my surface Pro display port adapter cord and it displayed fine. Next I bypassed the Denon and plugged it into the projector direct and it displayed perfectly!

So, it's either the Denon or the 30 ft HDMI cable that is the problem.

Anyway, while connected to the projector direct, I tested the T/B and SBS video files from Chrome and there was no auto switching. So that solves that question. I put the projector in 3D manually and the PC stick played the files perfectly in 3D.

The Logitec Keyboard and track pad works great and paired instantly with nothing to do except turn it on.

I'll need to do some more debugging to see why this PCstick will not send video like my Surface Pro does through the same port. I have an old 32" Vizio 3D TV in the bedroom I want to test with it tomorrow.

My 3D videos and more
post #87 of 102 Old 05-16-2017, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, it's either the Denon or the 30 ft HDMI cable that is the problem.

Anyway, while connected to the projector direct, I tested the T/B and SBS video files from Chrome and there was no auto switching. So that solves that question. I put the projector in 3D manually and the PC stick played the files perfectly in 3D.
30 ft is pretty long, there's been reports of over 25 feet having issues, that could very well be the cause. Test with a short cable and see if that's it then you might try using a 25 ft if that will still reach or source a higher grade cable. I haven't had any problems with 25 ft length.

Auto switching, I figured it wouldn't work, I'm pretty certain only the built in apps that source the files directly will auto switch the display. I've been reading some media players may do this but AFAIK it's really up to the player at that point because the display doesn't know it's 3D unless it handles the files directly or a BD player or other WEBOS device. I checked on my display and apparently I can only get 720p because it can't play the vp9 codecs directly so there is no way for me to play higher than 720p with the built in YT app, so I have to go on using browser fed to screen which means manual 3D trigger. So yeah, seems silly, it's a 4K TV but the built in app won't do 4K.

post #88 of 102 Old 05-16-2017, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

tom, both my cables I have are rated and work fine with 4K UHD and all 3D sources. I also tested my ipad with an HDMI adapter through the Denon and it had no trouble displaying full screen. Everything works except this Azulle PC stick.

I also saw on the support forum one person had trouble with several Vizio TV's not recognizing the Azulle.

Don is guilty of not doing adequate homework this time! But hopefully I can get it figured out. Strange this thing works everywhere except where I want it to. I think that's called a jinx.

Anyway, I now know that my surface Pro easily connects to the Denon and I can just use that for a PC in the Home theater. Not sure what I will do with the PC on a stick.

My 3D videos and more
post #89 of 102 Old 05-16-2017, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Did you rule out a handshake issue, leave everything off, AVR, PJ, boot the stick first then turn on AVR and PJ. If not, then the cables are too long for it. They might work on other devices but maybe the stick just can't.

post #90 of 102 Old 05-16-2017, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
avantart-

I agree with everything Tom told you. We've all been there and suffered through the troubles you mention.

I'll add just a couple of comments-

We've all l;earned that depending on what you want to do for playing your 3D, you will find using multiple editing systems, each with their pros and cons to your advantage. I need and use PD15, Vegas Pro 13, and Edius, often all three in the same project.

I also have a pair of Sony TD10's and while they do not do good quality for Blu Ray due to the 29.97i frame rate, I like them for times when I need a small 3D cam to take on a boat. Other times I shoot with the Panasonic Z10K where high quality of a 3 Chip 3D camera shines over the TD10 since it shoots in 24p, perfect for Blu Ray output. Of course, we have little tricks developed over the years. I sometimes shoot 1080 24p with two TD's in sync for 3D. But it requires special hardware to sync them.

Tom is correct on the edit computer. You want a system that is fast and has lots of memory. Plus, real important, a media storage drive that is much faster than a regular hard drive. I use really fast PCIe storage, faster than SSD but SSD is adequate.

3D TV's are still available but you will need to find them in Korea, Japan, and China. I ordered my last one from Korea. Some have English menus but not all. If you already have a 3D monitor for editing you're set.

Oh, Vegas 12 had some issues with 3D rendering that was never fixed so I would stop using it since you have a later version, I believe you said 14 which is released by another company since Sony sold the product license. 13 is the last of the Sony brand.
Tom/Don, thank you for the information.

My laptop really was not up to the job, most likely, even when it was purchased new a few years ago. It is a Sony Core i5 with 700 gb drive, 6 gb of RAM and no dedicated video memory (Intel chipset).
I also ran a project off of a faster Buffalo external drive, where all of the files are located. Same issue with sound.

Can I relocate Sony AVCHD folders from one external drive onto another (SSD) by simply copying and pasting the whole structure or do I need to re-export via Sony camera?
Is there a way to move clips that were edited but not rendered in VP into PD for rendering?
Same for VP14. I, for some reason, cannot open VP12 projects in VP14.

The pull down issue is well resolved by msMuxer. I will try creating a 24p MP4 in it, instead of an ISO, and then re-import into PD for disc burning with menus.

Thanks.
Victor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page