3D specialized software and gadgets - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #91 of 115 Old 05-16-2017, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantart View Post
My laptop really was not up to the job, most likely, even when it was purchased new a few years ago. It is a Sony Core i5 with 700 gb drive, 6 gb of RAM and no dedicated video memory (Intel chipset).
I also ran a project off of a faster Buffalo external drive, where all of the files are located. Same issue with sound.

Can I relocate Sony AVCHD folders from one external drive onto another (SSD) by simply copying and pasting the whole structure or do I need to re-export via Sony camera?
Is there a way to move clips that were edited but not rendered in VP into PD for rendering?
Same for VP14. I, for some reason, cannot open VP12 projects in VP14.

The pull down issue is well resolved by msMuxer. I will try creating a 24p MP4 in it, instead of an ISO, and then re-import into PD for disc burning with menus.

Thanks.
Victor.
Raw camera files, yes, you can just move the folder, no need to re-dump from card. No you can't take the edit files from VP into anything else, it must be with export render. PD files only work with PD, VP with VP, etc. Magix bought the VP product and has removed all Sony branding so I'm not surprised they won't work in 14.

On your edit station (laptop), I think you really need to consider a dedicated desktop system or else just stick to using PD. VP needs a fast system or else weird things can happen, like the audio issue. I'm afraid you won't find any solution to the audio problem until you get your drive speed up. An external enclosure isn't going to solve it. You want a fast internal SSD drive and you really should have your work bin files on a separate SSD than your boot volume. I actually need to put in a second one for the work bin myself. I'm using a single 960 SSD now but to speed things up the files should be on a separate drive than your VP application. The internal drive on your laptap might be only 5400 RPM and that is not enough. USB connection for external drive is too slow.

I would probably stick with PD until you can get something better for editing. You could look at swapping in a SSD drive in laptop but by the time you upgrade, might be cheaper to just move on to something better all around.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 115 Old 05-16-2017, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Did you rule out a handshake issue, leave everything off, AVR, PJ, boot the stick first then turn on AVR and PJ. If not, then the cables are too long for it. They might work on other devices but maybe the stick just can't.
Yes, I did try that and no difference. I wanted to test the cable in the wall but I would need a double female HDMI adapter to test it. That would eliminate the Denon or the cable. I may pick up one just to have here and try bypassing the Denon. At this point I'm stopped. If it is a cable length problem, then I'm still SOL on this. Not going to change the layout of the room. Besides, the Surface Pro does work fine.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #93 of 115 Old 05-16-2017, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

The proper way to do a project in Vegas Pro is to set up a folder on your data drive, Preferably an SSD, not the C drive for /Vegas Temp files. Then point your temp files to that. Also, set up a folder for your project. Then sub folders for your different media, such as TD-10 video files: graphics; Music and sound effects; titles; still camera. Now start your Vegas pro and save the project file in the root folder for the named project. If you organize like this you will complete your project with everything in one main folder you can cut and paste to your archive drive for later use. That will allow you to open the project in the future and everything can be found. I also save several copies of the project along the way so I have an easy way to revert back if needed. These files don't take much room.

On your laptop, you may be able to replace the hard drive with an SSD. You will need to clone the original drive, not back up as the typical drive has 3 partitions for windows and the clone must have an MBR set for it to boot. A data backup will not be the same thing. You will need to buy a cloning kit to make a main drive clone. These are not expensive. They use a USB dongle and a CD-ROM. There are some tricks to making a perfect clone, and I;ll tell you if you decide to go that route. Otherwise your laptop should be adequate. FWIW- I have Edius and Vegas Pro on my Surface Pro which I recall is a 2 core 4GB 64bit Windows 10. I have a very fast 256 micro SD card for my projects and the main drive in the surface is a 128GB. and I have edited simple projects on a cruise ship while at sea. But if you want to do a big project, like Tom said, get a desktop that is robust in all areas.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752

post #94 of 115 Old 05-19-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Update on my PC stick from Azulle.

After getting in a pair of double female HDMI adapters I was able to verify the two long HDMI cables were not the problem. So it must be the Denon, right? I connected the PC stick with it's short jumper cable and it still would not pass the video through the Denon. I switched the video resolution to lower SD and now I had a picture. Switched back to HD 1080p auto up to 2160p and no picture. Replaced the Azulle adapter cable they sent with a short jumper with one of the HDMI double female cables and the 4K picture from 4K YT video popped right up. The problem was the Azulle jumper does not pass 4K. BUT, here's the rub- My Denon is not 4K capable either, so to use the true 4K pass through I will need to find a way to get a 2 in 1 out HDMI switch so I can select the HTPC and my 4K player to the single 4K input #2 on my projector. Not sure if a switch like that exists and I'm not ready to buy a new AVR this year.

So, we're in business. I now have a HTPC operational for 2K at least, or 4K with some cable swapping.

My 3D videos and more

Last edited by Don Landis; 05-20-2017 at 06:17 AM.
post #95 of 115 Old 05-20-2017, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Found this switch that should do everything I need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My 3D videos and more
post #96 of 115 Old 05-20-2017, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Don that is a one-way splitter that bypasses the EDID. Ah, I'm not up-to-date on all this stuff, but don't you need a two-way splitter so your receiver can see the projector is attached. They have one that is two-way, or maybe I'm not thinking right.
post #97 of 115 Old 05-20-2017, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

That's not a splitter, one source split to multiple TV's. It's a switch that allows two sources, one at a time to feed one display. It will be connected to the 4K projector and the sources both will be 4K so I don't see a problem. More importantly, the HDCP 2.2 is required and that is pass through.

There are mechanical switches too but this one can be triggered with an IR remote control. Or, it switches to the input automatically, the last one to get turned on. Therefore it can switch without the remote by simply toggling the source off and back on. But we'll see how it all works when it arrives next week.

My 3D videos and more
post #98 of 115 Old 05-23-2017, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I saw several 3D capable headsets that appear to mock the VR cellphone headsets, but with their own video eye projection on board.

Has anyone had a chance to view through these. This one is 1280x720, and can handle 720p side-by-side. Since they are using a micromirror projection scheme, you might not see the pixels as easily as the cellphone headsets. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._hd_video.html

Here's another one with less resolution, but almost twice the price: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_glasses.html
post #99 of 115 Old 05-23-2017, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Raw camera files, yes, you can just move the folder, no need to re-dump from card. No you can't take the edit files from VP into anything else, it must be with export render. PD files only work with PD, VP with VP, etc. Magix bought the VP product and has removed all Sony branding so I'm not surprised they won't work in 14.

On your edit station (laptop), I think you really need to consider a dedicated desktop system or else just stick to using PD. VP needs a fast system or else weird things can happen, like the audio issue. I'm afraid you won't find any solution to the audio problem until you get your drive speed up. An external enclosure isn't going to solve it. You want a fast internal SSD drive and you really should have your work bin files on a separate SSD than your boot volume. I actually need to put in a second one for the work bin myself. I'm using a single 960 SSD now but to speed things up the files should be on a separate drive than your VP application. The internal drive on your laptap might be only 5400 RPM and that is not enough. USB connection for external drive is too slow.

I would probably stick with PD until you can get something better for editing. You could look at swapping in a SSD drive in laptop but by the time you upgrade, might be cheaper to just move on to something better all around.
Tom/Don.

Thanks again for your input. I am pretty sure you have gone through these questions over and over and apologize for bringing these up again.
Have decided to render VP edited 3D clips in shorter increments and then import into PD to combine into a single movie for BD burning.
No matter what template I chose, rendered files would not be recognized as 3D in PD and render as 2D anaglyph.
That now creates a bigger issue for me with the Panasonic AG-3DA1 with separate streams, as I can synch only in Vegas but would like to create full length movies in PD.
Any suggestions?
Many thanks in advance.
Victor.
post #100 of 115 Old 05-23-2017, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In VP, set project property to top/bottom full and render, use a larger bit rate of 48mbps (24 mbps for each stream for the 3DA1). Then import into PD, right click and change 3D type to top/bottom. Then you have full 3D from AG-3DA1, that's the way I do it. I also do this for 3D menus in PD. Yes, you can keep the clips shorter in VP. For me it was over 12 minutes with that audio problem. I forgot to mention, I did have a problem with PD before I upgraded and that was with DTS audio for Blu ray, it would cause problems, there was an update which fixed a DTS bug, but I think I still had issues because of the larger bit rate. AC3 didn't have this problem. After I upgraded the problem went away.

Oh, and you'll probably want to keep your interlaced footage separate from this render so you can get a good 30 to 24 frame rate change, if you're using footage from both cameras.

post #101 of 115 Old 05-23-2017, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks Tom. I will try that. As to the TD10 footage, should I also render top/bottom in VP? I want to keep already edited footage in original 60i, render piecemail, then demux with 24p pulldown in msMuxer, as it produces a smooth transition, and then import into PD for compilation and burning with menus.
post #102 of 115 Old 05-23-2017, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess it depends. Are you blending the footage from the two cams? You could run the raw files from the TD10 thru VP first, export and demux with msmuxer if that looks better to you then reimport into VP and do your combined edit there, then you could use the yellow markers on timeline and render "loop" section only using top/bottom full method, and just move the marker depending on where the audio issues come up with longer renders keeping it under that duration. (On your render settings make sure to check that box that indicates to render the looped region only. And make sure you uncheck it if you don't need it, sometimes it can get missed, then you don't get a full render of timeline if you need it.) Then you wouldn't need to edit footage together in PD. I just wouldn't save your pulldown to last if you have 24p mixed with interlaced footage, if you know what I mean. I'd work that first and get it so it looks good in 24p.

Have you tried just adding your TD10 files to timeline and setting project to 23.97 and letting VP do the pulldown? I don't see how msmuxer will look that much better, but I haven't tried it personally. If I shoot in 30p/60i I generally don't put on Blu ray unless it's 2D, then I use 1080i60, which looks right, 1080p60 down converts to 1080i60 pretty good too, just for 2D though.

post #103 of 115 Old 06-17-2017, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #104 of 115 Old 06-18-2017, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Had a disastrous failed experiment Friday.

I attempted to haul my new Vuze camera up with my drone. It took off after a couple of adjustments but was highly unstable. The sensors failed and I lost control as it shot up at full speed vertically to 98 ft according to the data. Then I got it stopped climbing but it then began to wobble wildly and and started to travel off on it's own. Only solution I could think of was to hit the emergency kill switch and that started it to fall. It fell 100 feet and smashed into the grass. Broke the mount for the Vuze camera but that thing is build like a tank and was still recording, zero damage! The drone, not so good. The landing feet in the rear broke off and the stabilizing gimble came off it's mount. Strangely no props broke.

The Vuze camera is like new. After repairing the minor damage to the drone, I took it for a test flight and it handled fine. The camera was working but the Gimbal is FUBAR. I'll be sending it into dji or a repair facility for an estimate after I return from my next trip. In the meantime, I have ordered a second drone to replace the damaged one for simple 4K shooting and may just use the one with the damaged gimbal as a hauler for these experiments.

The Vuze camera was my last experiment for this drone as a shooting tool for now.
The results of the Vuze video before the crash is that it is a waste of time to get 3D except as close range. The distances in view are just too far away to record depth with a 60mm IA on the vuze. The 2D conversion of the footage looked really good compared to my Giroptic360. But regardless the Vuze is just too heavy for the Mavic Pro to properly fly. The wobble is too severe to correct with image stabilizers.

Two things I learned about attaching cameras to the Mavic Pro. 1. They need to be very light weight. 180 grams can work. one pound does not. 2. They need to be mounted in a way as to not block the sensors for navigation and control.
I have the Two Eyes camera coming in around August so we will see if that can work with my drone. The Samsung 360 camera has been tested by others and seems to work. Now there is even a commercial Mavic Pro mount for it being sold for about $30. It also has image stabilization built in but only at the lower resolution.

My 3D videos and more
post #105 of 115 Old 06-18-2017, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Don, the pioneers like you make it possible for the rest of us to avoid the crashes. I can only imagine the panic as the contraption buzzed away on it's own...
post #106 of 115 Old 06-18-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

You know it! Panic does not describe the moment.

Anyway, call it justification for my failed test if you want, but if I do nothing to repair the gimbal, I'll have one drone to test ideas and a second one to use for 4K shooting. Remember I had that one test success where we created some really nice 3D with the 4K camera in a dolly move. That was real sweet and I will simply maneuver the drone for a few shots like that in my work with it.

Meanwhile I am working on a roof mount for the Vuze. The vuze can be controlled via wifi remote for record/ standby for the duration of the battery which I believe is about 90 minutes or more and I have 1 hour of recording time. Control is via the iphone app. There is no visual of what is being shot on the iphone but don't need it with a 360 camera. It just shoots everything.

PS- Happy Farher's Day.

My 3D videos and more
post #107 of 115 Old 06-18-2017, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That reminds me I bought a RC helicopter about 10 years ago, got it all together, this was before quadcopters and GPS control I guess but it was supposed to be a little easier to fly because it had dual rotors (yeah right!). So the first time I launched it inside living room the thing went straight up with no control and hit the ceiling. Broke a couple of the blades, I sold it back on eBay within a week or two. I eventually got to the point I could take off and land it across the room but it was still pretty hard and this was indoors with no wind even. I don't think it would work outside unless there was zero wind. I'm sure this new stuff is much better and you'll never have any problems, lol!

Yeah, for 3D on this stuff, it's hard enough on the ground to get it right, let alone up in the air where you can't make quick adjustments.

post #108 of 115 Old 06-19-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Tom, the drone I bought is rated by users to be the easiest to fly by those who never flew before. And it really is easy, until you mess with the sensors.

I believe what happened is I blocked the one forward bottom sensors that detects the distance to the ground with the large flat Vuze camera. So when the takeoff command was issued by me, it was sitting on the ground and the automatic climb to 6 ft and hoover in the programming, never sensed 6 ft. It continued to sense the Vuze camera that was hanging 5 inches below the sensor. So it never stopped at 6 ft., just kept on going at 20 mph straight up according to the flight logs. It took a few seconds to switch off the auto pilot to begin to bring it back down but the 1 pound camera hanging off the drone began to wobble like a swinging pendulum and that's when it became uncontrollable and smashed into the ground.

The second drone is here now, so I'll have one for my trip.

My 3D videos and more
post #109 of 115 Old 06-19-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's the limitation I see on all the RTF drones, you basically can't modify them with larger cameras or 3D cameras, have to go to something built for larger cameras or just do the motion 3D. The gimbals are also going to be rated for cameras of similar size so that limits what you can use too.

post #110 of 115 Old 10-05-2017, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's a drone that I might actually buy. It's safe, runs for almost 15 minutes and does 4K video. A lot of these crowd-funded drones have not been successful, but this one appears to have some good feature like a swivel camera. I can see taking some good 3D pics from above using the moving left/right scheme.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/m...era/x/16301143
post #111 of 115 Old 10-07-2017, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I backed one of these. 6 months to deliver. 2.5 years later I finally got the camera but they had big presence at CES for 3 years. Second backing was to be delivered in June, then August, then in October, next they said November, now they are saying May 2018.

Bob- better off just getting a well known branded drone you can buy off the shelf. None of these "Kick starter" offers deliver on time and are of quality they make believe they are. Why does this one look any different from the previous foldable Drone failures? This one doesn't even show a demo of it flying and the few seconds in the clip is at 480p. I wonder why?

My 3D videos and more
post #112 of 115 Old 10-07-2017, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, Don. I know. There are quite a few Moment Drone videos on YouTube. The drone looks like it hovers well, does what it is supposed to GPS-wise, but the 4k stabilized video is awful. It's definitely, not 4k. Single pics are okay, but video is pretty much 480p at best. I do like the safe design though. My son has an excellent 4k drone--don't know the name of it, which has excellent video, but the open props have cause a few mishaps and a bad hair day for his fiancé.
post #113 of 115 Old 10-09-2017, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's another item to waste your money on. This is for all you 3D camera divers who go snorkeling, but want to sometimes take a dip down to the corals for a couple of minutes. Use a snorkel, then grab this out off a waist belt and dive down 6-9 feet to the coral for a couple of minutes. Makes sense to me. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...y/x/16301143#/

As we know, a lot of Indiegogo stuff never gets delivered or offers the promises it advertises...
post #114 of 115 Old 10-10-2017, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

That is way over priced! I made one of these back in the 80's. Used a standard regulator and a 6 cu ft pony bottle that strapped onto a weight belt. Worked great.

My 3D videos and more
post #115 of 115 Old 10-11-2017, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

https://www.dpreview.com/news/401017...-310-employees

Hmmm. I think the market for VR is saturated with cheap stuff now, and that is making it suffer as people buy it, doesn't live up to the hype, then they go somewhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page