LucidCam--New 3D VR pocket camera coming in 2016 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By 3DBob
  • 1 Post By JoeFourMan
  • 1 Post By Don Landis
  • 1 Post By Barry C

post #1 of 23 Old 11-20-2015, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
LucidCam--New 3D VR pocket camera coming in 2016

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/l...3d-vr-camera#/

At least it has wide-eye separation. It looks like the video will be in 180 degrees 3D VR cardboard format, though, and limited for playback to headsets. Uses Sony sensors similar to Gopro it says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-20-2015, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 373
I wouldn't consider it a production camera but for what it does, it's pretty cool 3D gadget. Great for creating a new market for personal memories. Like having a camera for a Viewmaster back in the 50's.

I disagree with their comment on Gopro being a Sony sensor, however. GoPro uses video imaging circuitry built by Ambarella, Inc. Ambarella uses CMOS imager sensors from Aptina Imaging.

FWIW- iphone uses the Sony image sensor. Ambarella, makes the video circuits for most all surveillance cameras and car backup cams

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #3 of 23 Old 11-20-2015, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I just received a VR Box in today. A friend had brought one over a few weeks back and I had time to play with it. Basically, Google Cardboard. I'm going to try to view some SbS stills on it from Fuji and Panasonic 3D1. My phone is 5" and 1080p so maybe that will look ok. Would be nice to have a camera that could be viewed on it. The 360 setup and editing looks rather involved and I saw Youtube has content for it already.

This line intentionally left blank.

post #4 of 23 Old 11-20-2015, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Don: Supposed to be in production June, 2016--but we all know that Kickstarter or Indiegogo projects rarely meet their go-live dates. Yeah, I was wondering about that Sony sensor comment myself. I think they were just trying to find a way to bring both Sony and Gopro into comparison to their camera so you would think the images were alike, but I bet they are as Nabi is to Gopro.

Tom, I have several cardboards and a Samsung S5 and I have to say the pixilation I get is awful when I view the VR available for it. 1080p on an phone does not translate as well as 1080p on a large 3D monitor or projector. Mostly, because you are splitting the screen into two half resolution images. I would like to find out if you can take the full 1080p from each L/R video and do something with it, or is it always downloaded as a combining of two images into one 1080p view. Without that ability, the images are just Viewmaster-like at best as Don says.
Don Landis likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-20-2015, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
I would like to find out if you can take the full 1080p from each L/R video and do something with it, or is it always downloaded as a combining of two images into one 1080p view. Without that ability, the images are just Viewmaster-like at best as Don says.
I think that's the 64,000 dollar question. If it's just side by side, I'd probably pass. What makes me think it is, it says easy to edit and share, so probably a single split frame side by side onto one SD card just like the Panasonic 3D1. It indicates full 1080p per eye in specs, but doesn't indicate output. The other thing with that wide angle lens it will diminish most of the 3D effect even with the wide I.A. and no zoom same as action cams.

But I like the price for the package and for something that's in sync. Only 30fps. I'm thinking a Lucid 3+Black Edition

So right now they're 50 percent off, so going to go up to 600? I think I'd pass at that price, but 300.00 I'd probably go for it.

post #6 of 23 Old 11-21-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 173
One thing that I suspect most people who buy this won't take into consideration, until they're hit over the head with it when watching their video, is just how shaky it's going to be for all but the most experienced shooters.. When viewing shaky & jerky 3D on that little VR device, I suspect a lot of people are going to become a bit queasy real fast. Of course, even normal Gopro content has this problem unless properly controlled and edited. Except here, it would seem to be even more in your face.

Last edited by Barry C; 11-22-2015 at 07:28 PM.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-21-2015, 09:15 PM
Predator - Brian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
It indicates full 1080p per eye in specs, but doesn't indicate output.
Remember, the Lucid is just a capture device.

The intended viewing will be with VR goggles (Oculus) or with the cheap cardboard (or plastic) and using your phone (iPhone or Samsung Galaxy).

None of the above viewing devices have a screen with enough pixels to do 1920x1080p PER EYE. They are often done in a side by side format, and with less pixels.

-> No longer looking for Hi-Vision LDs <-

(I buried that format finally)

www.ispeedonthe405.com
post #8 of 23 Old 11-22-2015, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Having just purchased a VR Box, I would not buy this camera for 3D. VR goggles don't show 3D properly, mainly for 360 viewing in 2D. This would be a cheap way to get into half 360 recording. The viewing angle would be too wide to view in 16x9 and wouldn't show any 3D effect anyway. For 3D I will pass, but if I ever get into VR I may look at this again. I think 360 viewing is really just a novelty, even more niche than 3D. I don't see it gaining mainstream following anytime soon.

post #9 of 23 Old 11-23-2015, 01:17 PM
Predator - Brian

I am backing the Lucidcam, but I have a very specific use in mind. Hoping the quality is there, as I only need 180 degree viewing.

www.ispeedonthe405.com
post #10 of 23 Old 11-23-2015, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry C View Post
One thing that I suspect most people who buy this won't take into consideration, until they're hit over the head with it when watching their video, is just how shaky it's going to be for all but the most experienced shooters.. When viewing shaky & jerky 3D on that little VR device, I suspect a lot of people are going to become a bit queasy real fast. Of course, even normal Gopro content has this problem unless properly controlled and edited. Except here, it would seem to be even more in your face.
^^ This, combined with 30fps capture is going to make for some very unpleasant viewing. I've watched a fair bit of VR content now on both Oculus DK1 and Samsung Gear VR and if the camera position is not stable (rock solid stable) it is NOT a nice experience. As soon as the POV of the camera moves up or down, and obviously you, the viewer, remain stationary, it causes a disconnect between what you see and feel, inducing nausea. In the hands of anyone but the most conscientious camera person this will be a short-lived, negative VR experience.

I really wanted to like this product but fear it will do more harm than good to VR in general. The most positive thing I can see about it is that it is a stepping-stone product. Kudos for them for pioneering accessible 3D VR content I hope future iterations succeed.
Barry C likes this.
post #11 of 23 Old 12-04-2015, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Another VR camera for Android and Iphones, though less than HD resolution. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/r...tual-reality#/
post #12 of 23 Old 01-10-2016, 06:07 PM
Predator - Brian

I spent enough time looking at VR type cameras at CES and left underwhelmed. Anything less than 60fps is nauseating.

www.ispeedonthe405.com
post #13 of 23 Old 03-06-2016, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Lucid cam looks nice. I will definitely order one.
post #14 of 23 Old 03-06-2016, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

http://www.lucidcam.com/

Appears they will ship in November, 2016.
post #15 of 23 Old 03-06-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm intrigued by it, but have some questions which don't seem to be answered on the website or anywhere else.
1. First of all, I'm wondering if with the stated 180" fov if there's barrel distortion?
2. Secondly, for playback, it looks like you can play it back directly from the camera using a Google Cardboard type headset, but will the camera accept edited content being downloaded back into it?
3. To play it back on a smartphone, do you download the content into the smartphone and use the Lucid app?
4. It says you could stitch together 2 systems for 360 degree fov but I'm unclear on just how this would work.

I would consider buying it but would most likely NEVER us it handheld or body mounted but would- assuming it has a 1/4" mount- mount it onto my new motorized pan/tilt tripod mounted system. While it claims to have image stabilization, that would still be a joke and wholly inadaquet for such an in your face viewing system.

Last edited by Barry C; 03-06-2016 at 09:02 AM.
post #16 of 23 Old 03-06-2016, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's a video sample, Barry. You can see it has lots of wide-angle distortion. It's a handheld shot which shows the stabilization as well.
You can see it does a full side-by-side full, so if it does not do L/R separately, that is going to be problematic for viewing on anything other than a google cardboard style viewer.

Another overview video.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-06-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

While, I'm really happy to see that somebody/anybody is giving any attention or effort into developing new 3D products, Bob, after seeing that video, you can count me out. Terrible barrel distortion, and if it's just one image, and not 2, I'm not sure it could be corrected in post. Also the fact that there is no viewfinder solution(?), makes it problematic. Although, I suppose one could be adapted like I did with the Gopro Dual. But, at this point, I'm going to pass on this product. This looks like something that might appeal to the teen and 20 something set. I do hope these young developers do well, however, and keep working to advance the product!
post #18 of 23 Old 03-06-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 373
When it comes to a grab and go camera, I'll stick to my Panasonic 3D1. Nothing out there I've seen beats it. Maybe if Apple ever gets brave and puts a 3D camera feature in the iphone, I'll revisit. Every 3D enthusiast should have a 3D grab and go camera to get the shot when it surprises you. This Lucidcam is not it.
3DBob likes this.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #19 of 23 Old 03-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Predator - Brian

The Lucidcam is a 3D VR 180 degree camera - it is not just a 3D camera. It will give you a VR perspective that no consumer 3D camera (made for the days of 3D Blu-Rays/Television) will provide. It's a different camera, providing a different experience, and shouldn't be compared with existing 3D cameras.

VR is often (but not always) stereoscopic 3D.

www.ispeedonthe405.com
post #20 of 23 Old 03-08-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-X View Post
The Lucidcam is a 3D VR 180 degree camera - it is not just a 3D camera. It will give you a VR perspective that no consumer 3D camera (made for the days of 3D Blu-Rays/Television) will provide. It's a different camera, providing a different experience, and shouldn't be compared with existing 3D cameras.

VR is often (but not always) stereoscopic 3D.
However, it still has terrible barrel distortion and will be very painful to view the 3D world through without very robust image stabilization. These two points are hardly insignificant.
Don Landis likes this.

Last edited by Barry C; 03-09-2016 at 02:20 PM.
post #21 of 23 Old 05-02-2017, 11:21 AM
Predator - Brian

The camera finally started shipping, and I got mine. Verdict? Junk.

For starters, it's 1080p/30 (they keep magically advertising "2k" which is 128 more pixels horizontally). They promised, if they raised money and exceeded goals (which they did) they'd offer 4K/30, but the shipping product is 1080p. Additionally, being about 180 degrees (and not 360 which is fine by me), they duplicate the image on the backplane, so if you turn fully around, you start to see a reverse mirror image the other way. Wasted compression (from what I can tell) incorporating and compressing duplicate content. Would rather just see black when I look beyond.

In short, it's very grainy looking, the 3D is quite poor, and I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Going to sell mine off, and slap myself the next time I get excited by a product like this.

www.ispeedonthe405.com
post #22 of 23 Old 05-02-2017, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

JetX, your Avatar says it all... Thanks for the update.
post #23 of 23 Old 05-02-2017, 02:06 PM
Predator - Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
JetX, your Avatar says it all... Thanks for the update.
LOL -

I think I'm going to experiment this summer with a Sony A6500 and an Entaniya 250 degree fisheye lens. If I like the results, I may go to a stereoscopic 3D version.

www.ispeedonthe405.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page