2Likes

post #31 of 80 Old 08-29-2016, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
My uploading method will be as follows:

1) 1080p 3D content: Legacy method (Flash support) side by side with 3D checked which also offers anaglyph and 2D.

2) a separate top/bottom 2D file for passive screens and HTML5 browsers that can't see the side by side. Top/bottom will be equal resolution with passive and active screens as well as higher resolution than the current 3D enabled video method which restricts passive screens to 960x540 per eye. Top/bottom will offer 1920x540 per eye. Yes, most don't know or care but I'd rather have the option up and let the viewer decide.

4K content will get a top/bottom 4K3D as well as 4K2D upload. It seems redundant but there's not a single upload method that covers everything.

The metadata is likely encoded when you select the 3D box when uploaded. If it's left in 2D as side by side or top/bottom it would still play in split screen, unless your device has a way of detecting it. Would be interesting to test it on your newer devices, Don. I've never minded manually enabling 3D mode myself, I'd rather do that than try and navigate the hardware apps.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 80 Old 08-29-2016, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well this is something new. New 1080p uploads are now only showing 360/720p resolutions on Flash now, no 1080p. Older videos still show 1080p. Wonder if they only encode to HTML5 video now? So will they will leave the older flash videos or re-encode them too? Time will tell, I bet they replace them at some point.

Shows up in Chrome up to 1080p, but only 2D/anaglyph options of course.

Bummer!

So no 1080p if setting to 3D with side by side only anaglyph will have 1080p using HTML5, so yes I'll be adding a top/bottom 2D file they can't restrict to 720p.

Last edited by tomtastic; 08-29-2016 at 04:37 PM.
post #33 of 80 Old 08-31-2016, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Here's the latest work by my young nephew. I gave him a laptop with Vegas Pro on it for him to play with about 4 years ago. He has come a long way. I get questions all the time from him How do I ...? then in a week or so he shows me what he is working on. He shoots with a GoPro and a NEX6 Sony camera. I finally convinced him his work is good enough to go Pro, although he is a student at Penn State studying Electrical Engineering. This piece was done for a small group of dancers for a Christian based dance school near where he lives. Let me know what you guys think:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9i...REekwyTUk/view

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752

post #34 of 80 Old 08-31-2016, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, he's got skills. Thumbs up!

post #35 of 80 Old 09-01-2016, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
New 1080p uploads are now only showing 360/720p resolutions on Flash now
If you uploaded a 1080p then it will show up as such but the HD res for YT always took awhile before it shows up. I used to wait a half day sometimes for the HD to get listed.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #36 of 80 Old 09-01-2016, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Not sure, one that I uploaded last night is showing 1080p available. One that I uploaded 2 days ago is only showing 360/720p still.

post #37 of 80 Old 09-07-2016, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Here's the latest work by my young nephew.
Very professional, Don.
post #38 of 80 Old 05-10-2017, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

—I thought I'd post this here, in response from GoPro thread but moving to YT thread.

I noticed on the YT settings it mentions the 3D checkbox will soon be removed anyway so it will be gone at some point. Uploading will require SbS or T/B formats or 360. There are instructions on adding meta data to the file for these but I think for 3D you don't need it, just 360 or 180 videos.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7278886?hl=en

It doesn't seem that VP or PD add any 3D meta info into the file format so I don't know why YT would require it. Possibly, it's just so some devices will flag it as 3D and trigger the display into that mode, I don't know if that's true, just a guess. It likely won't make any difference in Chrome or browsers where Flash is disabled anyway.

Just mentioning it because that box is going away and this is the link to their solution which is adding meta data so possibly they will do away with 3D altogether and leave it up to the uploader to specify what 3D format it's in.

I gave it another go on Chrome but there's just no way to get Flash going so giving up on it. I don't use Chrome anyway. Safari still loads Flash so that will get me by, but I'm curious to know what YT will do with the files if they were uploaded in SbS. The solution now is that they only play in 2D or anaglyph if you can't load Flash so I wish they'd just get rid of this 3D option and play the source file in SbS. If they can add anaglyph to the HTML 5 code I don't see why the other options can't be added too.

My preference is T/B because I do have one screen that is passive 1080p and then a passive 4K so 4K will be max resolution in T/B on that one. I'm not sure if I will bother checking that 3D box any more. Flash is done as support is gone on browsers. I think you'll have to pick one format or upload both. Personally, I think T/B should be the default as the resolution is equal on both and there's likely more passive screens out there 1080p and 4K vs active, just my opinion.

post #39 of 80 Old 05-10-2017, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
There are instructions on adding meta data to the file for these but I think for 3D you don't need it, just 360 or 180 videos.
Actually, all my edit platforms add the meta data for auto sensing 3D from TB or SBS in the render engine IF you select 3D as the render output. This meta data is required to permit the TV or Projector to auto select these modes when you play the file. BUT, not all players or TV's with the YT app may recognize the metadata and those will require the TV to manually select the proper mode.

Vegas Pro, Edius, and Cyberlink Power Director ( I have not tested this one as I have always used it for iso file output) all add the meta data for the render output.

I saw the info you reference awhile back but haven't tested it since my edit platforms I use do it already.

Quote:
If they can add anaglyph to the HTML 5 code I don't see why the other options can't be added too.
I'm sure they can but the metadata actually makes it unnecessary. See my post in the GoPro Thread. In summary, when the meta data is in place, the TV that can recognize the meta data in the SBS or TB auto switches to a frame packed 3D display so you need to do nothing. If your 3D TV is older ( my old Sony 90ES for example) may not recognize the the meta data. My 665ES does and everything is automatic.

This is not new. It's been that way for over a year at least.

At the end of the day, 3D will be easier to upload and when TV's and Players are all updated to recognize it, we will have 3D and 2D in UHD, HD and SD anaglyph, SBS and TB and 360 sphere and Tiny Planet and VR Goggles, all automatically.

When I rendered my 360° in Vegas Pro or Edius, I had to add the meta data manually to the rendered file. But with Power Director now, that adds it when I render as a sphere 360 output.

I like Google Chrome and use it on my ipad and iphone as well as all my PC's. What's nice about it is I can add a bookmark on one device and it updates all my devices. UID and PW remembered on one device can be recalled on another device. Some things just make life simpler. What's bad about Google Chrome is I have more times it hangs up and doesn't load a web site. For example, For over a month, Chrome would not open Royal Caribbean's web pages for my Cruise reservations. I had to switch to Firefox. I also keep IE access but use it the least, only when both Firefox and Chrome fail to display a web site. For some reason, Chrome and Firefox have more trouble with this than IE. The other thing is I had to open a gmail account in order to access the conveniences available in Chrome. Then there is the premium access to Google Earth that is great, but expensive. It does Google Earth but at much higher resolution and full 3D animation for rendering 4K video files. I've used this on videos like Bryce Canyon.

My 3D videos and more
post #40 of 80 Old 05-10-2017, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Does your 4K TV allow TB or SBS to appear in 3D? My Projector does not.

My 3D videos and more
post #41 of 80 Old 05-10-2017, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does your 4K TV allow TB or SBS to appear in 3D? My Projector does not.
Do you mean that your PJ does not have t/b or SBS at all or just for 4K? I remember you mentioned it wouldn't for 4K before.

On my LG it does but only those two options and 2D to 3D conversion, the other options like row interleave and checkerboard go away when set to 4k resolution. I notice when I'm in VP and TV (in monitor settings in windows) is set to 1080p those extra options appear.

post #42 of 80 Old 05-10-2017, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Vegas Pro, Edius, and Cyberlink Power Director ( I have not tested this one as I have always used it for iso file output) all add the meta data for the render output.
Ok, that's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. I think when you select the project settings that determines what 3D layout is used and tags the file accordingly. The info for uploading 3D to YT with metadata must be if you're not using an NLE that has this functionality I guess.

Google Earth, I downloaded that for my laptop a year or two ago when it went free and played around with it a little. I haven't been back into it since then. Looks like you can make videos up to HD on it.

post #43 of 80 Old 05-11-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Ok, that's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. I think when you select the project settings that determines what 3D layout is used and tags the file accordingly. The info for uploading 3D to YT with metadata must be if you're not using an NLE that has this functionality I guess.

Google Earth, I downloaded that for my laptop a year or two ago when it went free and played around with it a little. I haven't been back into it since then. Looks like you can make videos up to HD on it.
Yes, or you can trick even Vegas Pro into making a SBS or TB with 2D clips and then render as a 2D custom file. This will not have the embedded meta data either. That is only present in the rendering when the 3D option is on in the project properties. In this case you could send it to your projector and access the 3D options and turn on SBS or TB manually.

BTW- I see my LG Passive does not recognize the meta data but my Sony 665ES does. The older 90ES did not.

My projector has no 3D options when the inbound is higher than 1080p.

Google Earth has a pro version that co$t by annual subscription. It allows smooth vector paths and video frame rates for rendering real video files. Regular Google Earth is still free but has none of these animation to frame accurate video rendering capabilities.

My 3D videos and more
post #44 of 80 Old 05-11-2017, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The one I have is Google Earth Pro, which is free now since 2015-ish? I don't see the premium version but I haven't looked for it. The Pro version I've only played around with it a few times just to see what it could do. I recall your piece with the Google Earth part. I've seen some other documentaries using it too a good way to get zoom in geo shots.

post #45 of 80 Old 05-11-2017, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Back on VP tagging 3D renders for meta data I just checked a few files to see what they show in media info and don't see any 3D info listed.

General
Complete name : /Volumes/xserve288-core/Desktop/Civil War Day 2015.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42 (mp42/isom)
File size : 567 MiB
Duration : 2mn 54s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 27.3 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2015-05-30 04:22:52
Tagged date : UTC 2015-05-30 04:22:52

Video
ID : 2
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Baseline@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : No

Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=15
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 26.9 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 30.0 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) fps
Standard : NTSC
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.541
Stream size : 559 MiB (99%)
Language : English
Color range : Limited

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : channel0
Channel(s)_Original : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Frame rate : 46.875 fps (1024 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 7.98 MiB (1%)
Language : English

Near as I can tell this would just be same as any 2D profile.

example of 3D profile which I sourced from online not my own:

Video
ID : 4114 (0x1012)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Stereo High@L4.1
MultiView_Count : 2
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames

I'll check some more renders and see if anything shows up. If VP adds this automatically I must be doing something wrong.

post #46 of 80 Old 05-11-2017, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
The one I have is Google Earth Pro, which is free now since 2015-ish? I don't see the premium version but I haven't looked for it. The Pro version I've only played around with it a few times just to see what it could do. I recall your piece with the Google Earth part. I've seen some other documentaries using it too a good way to get zoom in geo shots.

Quote:
Google Earth Pro is Now Free, Previously It Cost $399/Year [Download] Google has announced that Google Earth Pro is now free. Access to the software previously cost $399 per year. "Starting today, even more people will be able to access Google Earth Pro: we're making it available for free.Jan 31, 2015
You're right! I'll have to check it out. You can see what I once paid for it which was expensive, for sure. But I think I made good use of it the year I had it. I may renew use of it in my projects again. Will be great for my cross country trip to Alaska in July. I will be shooting with the big 3D wide IA and have my 3D car cam with GPS PIP insert. Now I can add to that the Google Earth animations. Thanks, Tom.

My 3D videos and more
post #47 of 80 Old 05-11-2017, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I'll check some more renders and see if anything shows up. If VP adds this automatically I must be doing something wrong.
I don't recall seeing metadata listings in the media info. Nothing shows up for my manually inserted meta data for the 360 VR clips either but it is recognized by YT, and Facebook. The 3D meta data is recognized by my projector too.

I once uploaded two files, one with and one without the meta data and the projector sensed the data when present.

Didn't that YT advisory mention that Vegas Pro added the metadata? I know I read it somewhere.

My 3D videos and more
post #48 of 80 Old 05-11-2017, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I checked a PD render and it's the same, VP and PD don't add anything specifically showing 3D layout type, it's just a 2D frame. I think there's 3rd party editors than can change just the tagging but I haven't looked into it. —Unless I'm not understanding this right. I think the tagging part that YT is referring to is the same tagging you're doing for 360 which indicates the layout of the frame so it's displayed right and maybe so some devices can auto trigger. They added the 3D checkbox for 3D years ago, but it wasn't there originally so you had to add info to your video to indicate it was 3D. If the checkbox is going away that may mean meta info will be required so the HTML 5 player will know the 3D layout. Of course if you just render to top/bottom or side by side just about any device can display it in 3D by selecting manual 3D mode on display which is what I have to do.

The only mention of tagging in VP is for the media bin but that's different. 3D tagging would show up in the render output under video profile but it's just showing the same info as 2D. I'm not sure really how important it is. Manually selecting 3D mode isn't much hassle, I just noticed it on the YT uploading page and wondered if I was doing something wrong.

post #49 of 80 Old 05-12-2017, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok so posting this here too for the YT thread, the meta data that the YT help guide is referring to isn't what you can scan with a media info reader, this is what's built into the files themselves as they're rendered and more complex than showing the layout type which can be added to the media info. At least that's what I've learned from a little research. That help guide suggests using a NLE like Vegas Pro or Go Pro studio, so the 3D info is already built into them into those renders same as always and you don't need to add anything later.

You can add 3D layout type with something like mkvtoolnix and maybe that does something for certain media players possibly to trigger the display, I really don't know for sure. But I've tested my display on YT videos without that added and it auto triggers with using the built in app just fine in display. Auto sensing is really for smart devices that grab the file and process it internally. I think for media players (in a PC) sent to screen then it's up to the media player to send that trigger to the display so that may be what that's for.

So playing 3D from a computer right now, unless you can load Flash in a browser you don't have access to the 3D options that were there before and at least for me using Chrome browser I only see 2D and anaglyph options, no side by side. This can only be by design, they just don't have Chrome and YT setup to link to the side by side file, it defaults to the 2D or anaglyph so that's what they set it up for.

Safari browser I can still use Flash which has all those options before or I can disable Flash which is fine too and get the raw side by side file in HTML 5 player.

I took a look at what video files YT stores on one of my videos to see if there's a new anaglyph file but there isn't, it just has different resolutions saved in mp4, webm and vpx files for playback depending on what the user selects. The 2D and anaglyph versions are converted by the player on the fly which isn't really that intensive so it doesn't require a separate file for it stored. BTW, I think this is why PDVD is broken because it's not getting access to the raw files, same as Chrome browser. It must use HTML 5 player and therefore 2D and anaglyph only.

The comment below the 3D checkbox indicates the 3D box is going away soon so if that's true then you will need to upload in the 3D format(s) you want to show and if you want 2D you'll need another upload for that too. On a few videos I added annotations with the text: click here to view this video in 2D which disappeared after a few minutes and also put one on the 3D version with link to 2D. (However, I just looked and annotations feature is now gone replaced with end screens so I need to look at that. You can no longer edit or add annotations have to use the new end screen feature.)

So YT's solution to 3D is anaglyph only at least for now. This is short lived if the 3D checkbox is going away so it would seem this problem will resolve itself shortly. I suspect again, this is why PDVD doesn't work, because it's forcing 2D and anaglyph and PDVD either hasn't been updated or it can't access the source files like I can with Safari browser with HTML 5.

So might as well stop checking the 3D box and plan on what 3D format you want to use. I say top/bottom should be standard just because it equals the resolution on passive and active, but there's editors that might not have top/bottom like PD so there's that issue.

The other question is what will happen with all the videos that are 3D and the 3D checkbox is selected? I think some support is going to be lost. You should be able to play the raw file and all the smart devices with 3D out there won't have a problem with that but they won't be able to select 2D or anaglyph or other conversions unless you still have Flash support in your browser. So if you have 3D uploads and no 2D you may need to upload 2D versions. The 3D versions should be fine because they'll just be in the format you uploaded.

post #50 of 80 Old 05-13-2017, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Tom- I have a tool here on my edit computer that I use to add metadata for the 360 spherical video to instruct Facebook and YT to add the proper navigation controls in the player. During the injection process there is a dos window that opens up that shows the progress of the injection of the data and where it sits in the file code. I suppose I could capture that before exiting out of the program sometime if you are interested in seeing what it looks like. Interpreting that code is above my paygrade, however.

One thing I noticed in the tool is that it can also inject metadata for TB/ 3D also during the setup. Just need to check that box. Since all my use has been 2D 360, I've never used that.

My 3D videos and more
post #51 of 80 Old 05-13-2017, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The way most code works is through a set of variables--specific locations in the code stack that have changing data that other code looks at to make "decisions" as to where to go next, how much to change something, or as a switch for a set of changes. I'm assuming that is what you are doing in the metadata is changing a variable that other code looks at--such as the codec for a video player. You probably know that, though. So your tool is poking some variable with bytes of numeric data probably. So it would be hard to detect what those bytes really mean--unless it is ascii text. Would be interesting if you could trap that in the DOS screen.
post #52 of 80 Old 05-13-2017, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, mainly that YT link confused me because it was saying we might need to add something in lieu of the 3D checkbox going away, but after looking closer, it's fine for 3D like you said, these editors already do what is necessary for 3D. There may be other methods of creating 3D that don't have that info in the file structure so it can be added later, so that might apply to them.

360 doesn't really interest me right now. I would hope they'd have support built in for those, looking at the syntax on that, you'd have to study up first.

Speaking on code and such, I need to look at rebuilding XAVC-S files because I've had a few go corrupt because the battery died before saving. I downloaded a few apps to rescue the files but they may not take care of the problem. There are services I see where someone will rebuild the file for you at a cost. So a word of warning on these cameras if you're using non-genuine batteries they will abruptly die even though they're showing 50 percent full!

The time indicator states about 4 hours at full charge but I had one that may not have been charged and I should have replaced it, after about 30 minutes it was already showing half charge and then died without dropping to 1 bar. If that happens the file will not save and then you've lost it. That's another issue I'm dealing with right now. So far I've only had two files do that with these cameras. So with the non genuine batteries they need to be pulled when showing half charge because they could die at any minute so save your file as soon as you can and replace battery. I generally get long usage out of them, like over 3 hours which is more than the stock battery but they don't report the capacity like they should. Lesson learned.

post #53 of 80 Old 05-13-2017, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tom, I'm not sure I understand about the saving. Are you saving files in your camera or from your camera? Or what? Batteries are very sensitive to magnetic fields. And this can be caused by metal bars that are used for holding cameras apart for wide eye separation shooting. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I was at Disney years ago and rode into the park on their magnetic rail system everyday. I would put the video camera on the floor and when I tried to use the camera in the park, the battery was dead. It happened two days in a row. I was really ticked. Outside the park I never had a problem. Next day I held the camera in my lap, and it was fine. I then realized what was going on. Those wireless phone chargers work in a similar fashion only in reverse. Or I could be full of crap, and your batteries aren't any good....
post #54 of 80 Old 05-13-2017, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The battery that was in the camera was fully charged but a few days or possibly a week before so it wasn't fully charged when I used it. It wasn't a big deal because I brought extras. However, the battery indicator shows 4 bars total and when it reached 2 bars it ran for awhile and then just died without going to 1 bar or turning red or any indication the battery was low and to replace.

These are non-genuine batteries so they likely don't report capacity correctly like the genuine batteries. If the battery dies on these Sony XAVC-S cameras the file will not save and you'll have a corrupt file that can't be repaired easily (or if you shut down without pressing end record). I need to spend some more time with it and see if what I have will repair the files, I think I have two files that have done this so far. My plan is just to replace the batteries when they reach two bars, they actually have pretty good run time, just can't trust them below 3 bars.

post #55 of 80 Old 05-13-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Tom you are right to be suspicious. I recently bought two replacement batteries for my TD10 cameras and one was good the other said it was incompatible. Both charged up fine. I tossed the bad one. But I still paid only 18.99 for the pair and a single Sony was $79! One thing I have done is put a dozen charge and discharge cycles with recording video on them and make notes on record time, then with a sharpie- put that hours on the battery, date it and give the battery a number. I have 13 batteries for my TD 10's and the AX53. The genuine Sony brand work the best with about 30% more record time. The real cheap ones that pass my cycle testing, last just as long ( number of years) but run 30% less. Bottom line is I saved lots of money using the 3rd party knockoffs.

Notice the Panasonic battery for your Z10K. It's like $150 but lasts a long time. I bought two 3rd party spares that last hafe the record time but Only paid $35 for the pair. Again it's cost per record minute I look at. The 3rd party Panasonic battery weighs much less too so the 3rd party ones are using smaller cells.

I don't believe I have ever had corrupted files that the camera recovery firmware couldn't repair when a fresh battery was inserted. Plenty of experience running out of battery with the TD10.

My 3D videos and more
post #56 of 80 Old 05-13-2017, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not sure on the AX53, maybe they fixed that issue on that camera since it's newer but when I press the repair corrupt file after a fresh battery is inserted it does nothing to fix the broken file and nothing will import or read it at that point. The file must be rebuilt.

Trying to remember if the AVCHD files became corrupted like this if not saved, I don't think they did or I never had a battery fail during recording yet on those cameras. Was in the middle of recording 2 hour graduation I had paused a few times so at least it didn't botch the whole thing, just about a 30 or 40 minute segment, about 18gb file. I should have replaced the battery when I saw it drop down a bar, I knew it hadn't been charged in a few days at least.

The generic batteries on these Sony's are not bad for the price, it's showing just under 4 hours on fully charged. But they don't report correctly when they get low, so I'm pulling them now as soon as they hit 50 percent. It's not worth the hassle.

The Z10k and the 3DA1 use same battery and I had found a seller on eBay at the time that had 4 or 5 of the genuine batteries so I bought the lot, they all seem to be good still. So I have 3 each for those cameras. Yeah, I remember seeing the cost on those from Panasonic and my eyes about came out of their sockets. I ordered some cheap ones first but for some reason I couldn't get them to take a charge so I sent them back, I didn't try another set after that.

post #57 of 80 Old 05-13-2017, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Tom- I've used File Scavenger to repair a corrupted index file on an SD card once. It is designed to recover files from a hard drive but works for an SD card too. Look up "File Scavenger" It's a really good life saver tool to have around!

I also repaired my Hard drive on my Dish Network DVR with it. It doesn't actually do anything but read the files. You will need to restore the files to another location. Then repartition and format the corrupted drive.

One warning if you do go with it. It works best if you do the recovery before trying to manipulate anything on the disk. I'm not sure if it works on a Mac.

The Panasonic charger as well as the Sony charger have electronics in them that work best with the named brand battery. For the Generics, your best bet is to buy a generic charger. That's what I use here. For some reason my Sony and Panasonic charger only build to about 2/3 full charge on the generics. Your time of 4 hours is about right that I see here on the name brand for the AX53. The generics about 3-4 hours on generic charger, but the Sony charger only about 1.75 hrs. It just cuts off early on the Generic batteries.

My 3D videos and more
post #58 of 80 Old 05-13-2017, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

This isn't a corruption of the entire card, it's a failure of the file itself. If the camera doesn't end recording before power is shut off you will have a file that can't be opened because the recording was never finalized. The information I'm seeing suggests all the frames must be re parsed into dummy file then transferred back into original. So basically everything is there but all the frames have to be parsed into the correct order so you need to know how to write code and also parsing bit streams, which I do not. I think I may end up getting a quote on this one file to get it repaired and from now on, get the battery swapped when it hits 50 percent because it's not a cheap repair.
Don Landis likes this.

post #59 of 80 Old 09-06-2017, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So the 3D checkbox has been deprecated!

Awhile back it was labeled as the 3D checkbox will soon be deprecated. Some very unfortunate things have happened now with YT lately. It seems Flash on Safari doesn't work any longer which was one way to get to the 3D videos with the 3D checkbox enabled. On Chrome and various other browsers you could only get anaglyph and 2D. On Safari if I had HTML 5 enabled it would allow access to the side by side video and higher resolutions but NO LONGER!

So what happens when you upload a 3D video to YT now?

This is interesting because if it's side by side now it will automatically label it as 3D and basically anyone on a browser can't get the side by side file from Chrome whereas it used to if you unchecked that 3D box. Also, on my older 2014 4K screen it will not load higher than 720p because it doesn't have WEB OS 3.0. I used to use safari on my mac pro and send that to the second screen for 4K but I can't get anything higher than 720p there. They did something recently to prevent higher resolutions. On my laptop I can get up to 1440p but not 4K. The only way I can get higher resolutions aside from downloading the files with a 3rd party downloader is to use Chrome but of course that means you can't get 3D!!!!

It also didn't matter on older uploads if you went back and unchecked that box because it would still auto-detect 3D and there you go: anaglyph and 2D only. So I can play in Safari but I can't get higher than 720p on Mac Pro, not sure why unless it's an older version of Safari or Mac OS and no Flash on Safari either just like Chrome now.

So is there anyway to get 3D in Chrome? Top/Bottom which is what worked before but now it seems it's the only answer. I checked my top/bottom videos and they still play in Chrome just fine and access to all resolutions. So I guess I'm going to have to upload in top/bottom from now on and hopefully YT will leave it alone. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about older uploads accept leave them and upload a new video as top/bottom. Top/bottom is the only way to get the files uploaded without having it 2D and anaglyph only, unless you play it from a smart device.

So I tested it on Chrome with top/bottom files and on Chrome it works and has access to higher resolutions but Safari still won't go to 4K so have to use Chrome now. So any older videos up on YT that are side by side are basically dead for 3D on browsers and I guess PDVD too, only way is with a smart device.

Last edited by tomtastic; 09-06-2017 at 08:25 PM.
post #60 of 80 Old 09-07-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tom, YouTube has a help page to upload in 3D as option due to the deprecated 3D switch by adding metadata to the file: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7278886

I also found an anomaly. Here is a video that will download in SBS HD and not switch to 3D. What I did was create a file in Edius with full frame SBS that I intended to use in Cyberlink Powerdirector to create a bluray file. Anyway, I decided to upload it to YouTube, and Youtube made it into a regular SBS file, but it downloads as straight SBS without switching to 3D. I did this 10 months ago and haven't tried again. I might do that today to see if it still works.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page