Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 80 Old 09-07-2017, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I've read the help page before. Basically, as long as you render it from Vegas Pro or any NLE that produces 3D files, there isn't anything you have to do. I tested this one in Chrome, it stayed in side by side for me. Appears to be a regular side by side HALF file. Not sure what you did differently, maybe there's something in Edius than can leave the 3D meta out.

Anyway, if 3D was broken for you before it still is and it doesn't look like YT is going to fix Chrome or give access to the side by side files. I can get them with Safari browser like before but no longer in higher resolution than 720p. Only solution is to download the files directly.

Strangely, the higher than 720p on Safari problem was reported way back in January but it wasn't a problem for me until this past week. I don't know what they did, but it has something to do with Safari version which is a little older on my Mac Pro. On my laptop I can get up to 1440p but no higher. It's because Safari doesn't support VP9 codec, only h.264 so it can't play the 4K files. I checked one file and the h.264 file is still there on YT servers but you can't get access to it thru Safari only the 1440p file. This is stupid when the file is there to be played.

Since I didn't update anything on my end it must be on YT end. They did something to deny the higher resolutions in Safari based on browser build would be my guess.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 Old 09-07-2017, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, my post somehow got deleted. Your video showed up as side by side but I don't think it's FULL, it looks half to me. Maybe there's something in Edius that let's you create a 3D file without leaving 3D tags, I don't know.

So the higher resolution problem in Safari, this is strange because it was reported back in January but just this past week I noticed it. It might have something to do with browser version because my Mac Pro will only get 720p and I can get 1440p on laptop. I know it's because VP9 isn't supported in Safari but this is dumb because I just checked one file and the h.264 file is still there but I can't play it.

post #63 of 80 Old 09-07-2017, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh, I forgot to mention. The problems just keep getting worse. So as I said before the only way to play those files is on a smart device but that may not be true either. LG has removed the YT app on older 3D screens. I need to check my 4K TV and see if it's gone too. I wasn't using it because it only allowed 720p but now I can't get over 720p from computer either.

post #64 of 80 Old 09-07-2017, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Tom, odd, I did see your last post before it got deleted. My uploaded file is definitely in compressed SBS, but was loaded fullframe. Just saying that somehow the 3D metadata must get deleted in the process of uploading, and YouTube compressed the video. That said, no reason to do this if T/B works, since it comes out sharper anyway when watched.
post #65 of 80 Old 09-07-2017, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Also, I checked my TV's and my 2011 65" screen the YT app no longer functions. It says YT dropped Flash support on 2012 and older devices (as well as browsers). I was at a friend's over weekend and strangely it worked on his 2011 screen but it did have the message it was going to be dropped soon. I checked my 2014 LG and it still works there but only 720p so worthless to me. Have to use an external 3rd party device.

Last edited by tomtastic; 09-20-2017 at 07:59 AM.
post #66 of 80 Old 09-07-2017, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Off subject, I'm testing out a method to get rendered 3D files from Power Director into Vegas Pro. As it is, it's basically impossible. There is not a top/bottom render mode in PD only side by side, anaglyph and MVC. If you render side by side full there's no way to use that in VP, that I know of. So I'm using handbrake to crop the frames of a side by side full render into two files and then bring those into VP. Mainly, don't want to start over on a few videos I made solely with PD but want a top/bottom render. Also, PD has some nice title effects and 3D elements, otherwise yes I would just use VP to begin with which has top/bottom render option.

I tried another method I thought of awhile back. That is rendering in 2D for the left frame and then setting the clips to right frame first and then another 2D render for the right, which I believe that will work as far as I got in testing it but unfortunately I don't see a way to reverse the 3D title effects to right/left frames or the 3D effects so again, no way to get 3D renders into VP aside from just imported clips without 3D effects.

The handbrake method seems to be working but requires two encodes one for each frame, basically just clicking a few settings and then render time. So if you only have PD you can't upload in top/bottom which is what you need for YT to get something other than 2D or anaglyph now unless it's a 2013 or newer smart device.

post #67 of 80 Old 09-08-2017, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So that method didn't work. No matter what when the frames were cropped for left/right in handbrake they seemed to be the same frame so 2D not 3D when imported into VP. So I went back and rethought my original idea. This time I did the left frame the same with a 2D output, then rendered a 3D MVC output and imported that into a new PD project, reversed the left/right frame for right view and rendered another 2D. Imported those into VP and now that works good with the title effects from PD.

Ok now post 61 in this thread is now showing up which somehow disappeared yesterday right after I posted.

post #68 of 80 Old 09-15-2017, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I checked states for nerds in Chrome on my laptop after selecting 4K and it's actually only streaming 1440p even though I selected 4K so they've limited it based on browser/machine specs. So basically 3D on YT for side by side content is now broken unless I play in 720p. I'm going to test another upload method and see if it works but I don't see any way to see the videos that are already up, besides downloading files first. This is an issue not just for 3D, but 4K as well.

post #69 of 80 Old 09-20-2017, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 373
tom- I see that YT has now disabled the check box for 3D. What a mess they have created for us 3D fans. I don't understand why the html5 doesn't offer the SBS and TB along with anaglyph as a viewer choice.

I did find that by default, my IE version 11 still allows SBS to play, avoiding the anaglyph default. I verified this with my latest SBS upload of my Skagway Alaska video. But the player in IE v11 only allows maximum resolution of 720p. The video is 1080p.

I still get SBS default from my YT player on my Samsung K8500 UHD player connected to my projector. But here is the strangest thing- If I create the SBS file in Edius, the playback auto switched my projector to 3D and no need to manually set the 3D to SBS. However, if I select an older file I have uploaded that was rendered in Vegas Pro, I have to first switch the K8500 from auto resolution ( that defaults to upscale 3840x2160 60p) to 1080p maximum, then manually set the projector to SBS while the video is playing. I believe Edius must be injecting meta data that my Samsung player is recognizing. Not sure about that. I just know it works.

I wonder if we all start suggesting to YT support that they offer options for SBS, TB along with anaglyph and 2D for any 3D content that is uploaded in SBS or TB format. I play to send in that suggestion. If enough of us 3D fans suggest the same request, maybe they will listen.

In the meantime, I plan to render three versions of my travel videos when the shooting offers it-

1. SBS 1080p
2. 4K 2D
3. 360VR TB 3D

In addition, some of my 3D projects will use 2D 4K content where I find setting these shots with a little push back behind the screen plane offers a good compromise for a 3D production.

In this 3D production only the train ride and bus ride was shot with 3D Panny Z10K. The rest were all shot with the AX53 using the push back for a fake 3D look.

One more thing- in Chrome, I loaded the Flash Player plugin and it offers the pull down menu allowing you to easily switch between Flash player and html5. Unfortunately, this Flash player does't recognize the MP4 video format. Older files still play that I uploaded with Windows Media video as a 2D file with SBS format- ref my Earth Wind and Fire video.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752

Last edited by Don Landis; 09-20-2017 at 05:46 AM.
post #70 of 80 Old 09-20-2017, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

From what I can see it's really a browser issues not a YT issue though they have removed Flash support and access to h.264 files in 4K unless your browser supports VP9. In Chrome, they are not allowing access to the raw SBS file if it has the 3D metadata present. I suspect the problem with PDVD is that it has not been updated for HTML5, it may be built around Flash like the 2012 and older smart TV's which are now no longer supported. I really don't have a problem with them ditching Flash, in fact, it's about time, but it would not be difficult to allow access to the raw files in the settings/options in the HTML 5 player.

To save bandwidth YT is restricting resolutions unless it's hardware supported which is actually the browser doing it. I suspect since my laptop's resolution is only 900p, Chrome won't allow higher than 1440p even though it did just a few weeks ago. Safari is different, the problem is Safari doesn't support VP9, I was able to play 4k just a few weeks ago though, my guess is they removed access to 4K h.264 files altogether which means I can only get the lower resolution h.264 files. So now only VP9 supports 4K which is retarded since h.264 works too, though not as efficient.

And it's worse on my Mac Pro probably because it's running older OS, I can only get 720p in Chrome and Safari, so at this point I'd just play direct from YT app on LG which is also limited to 720p. I get why the 2014 LG doesn't support higher than 720p even though it's a 4K tv, which is because it's Web OS 2.0, not 3.0 but where I've always been able to play max resolution on hardware that supported it before is ridiculous.

One cool thing about the LG though is that it runs Plex app, which is what I use for all my local movies and home media and it plays 4K files flawlessly. I've played back my 4K3D half files without stuttering, actually plays them better than my Mac Pro, so I know it would handle 4K on YT if it had the 3.0 software.

So at present I no longer can view 3D or 4K, unless I download the files directly, which honestly isn't a great solution because it takes more time to do that vs. streaming.

It may be possible to upload in SbS and have access to it like my last upload simply by adding a 4:3 frame to the beginning or end. That was the only thing I noticed I did differently this time. I'm going to try another upload and see if it works, although my method would be to upload a SbS file for 2D/anaglyph and then a top/bottom for 3D TV's.

post #71 of 80 Old 09-20-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

tom- As I said it is a mess now and I agree YT could fix it with adding SBS and TB to the existing settings.

Do you have a player for UHD disks now? I can tell you that the Samsung player I have now works well for YT plus I connected a 2 TB hard drive to the USB port and it supports MP4 h264 files as well as 4K 2D. I have quite a few of my videos now on the hard drive. I just tested a 4K 2D file that was rendered at 100mbs in 3840x2160 60p and it played with no stuttering. The USB is only 2.0 supported. Been awhile but I don't believe it supports h265. I have had to firmware updates to the Samsung since, so I should test h265 from the hard drive again. h264 in 4K 60 was over 43 GB for a CBR only 33 minutes long.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #72 of 80 Old 09-20-2017, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

No, I still haven't bought a UHD player yet. I don't have enough disks for it I guess. My TV's the same way, I connect via ethernet and it can play 4K 100mbps files without stuttering, also has USB 2.0 and 3.0 slots. I don't have any drives connected to it, takes too long to move data around that way. I just load them up on the server and use the Plex app on the TV. I tried playing the same files on my mac mini which is only 1080p and it did fine for a little while downgrading to 1080p but then it started getting really choppy, not fast enough to handle it.

post #73 of 80 Old 09-21-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Hey! I just discovered another way to view our SBS uploaded content if you have the latest You Tube player installed in the iphone or what comes with the latest update on Android. If you begin to play a SBS 3D video it will show up as Anaglyph on the phone. However to put it into SBS mode, tap on the screen and look for the symbol that looks like a mask. It is the symbol for 360VR. If you do that, the video will display on 3D 360VR. This will require the use of the cheap goggles. Now insert the phone in the goggles and enjoy the video in 3D.

My 3D videos and more
post #74 of 80 Old 09-21-2017, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have google cardboard installed and I didn't have any problems with sbs before but I haven't tried it in over a year or so. I couldn't really get into the goggles, too much hassle taking the cover off my phone and putting the phone in the goggles and after all that the resolution looked awful.

post #75 of 80 Old 09-21-2017, 11:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Not that I would choose to use that method to view 3D YT, but then I don't like the anaglyph either. However, it does show that the SBS display is possible on the mobile device.

I did send Google a message to their support group with the suggestion to offer the SBS & TB options in their player along with anaglyph. I suggest all of us send the suggestion in as well. I believe it is possible, just that leaving it out was an oversight of just lazy by coders who don't fully understand the number of TV's with 3D capability in homes. If we don't make the initiative to suggest these things then we deserve to suffer the loss. Too much time and effort has been spent on these forums complaining about it and not enough time complaining to the people who could add the options back.

My 3D videos and more
post #76 of 80 Old 10-01-2017, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Not sure what changed but I have access to 4K again thru Chrome browser on my Mac Pro. For the past month it was only allowing 720p. Safari is still capped at 720p but long as one browser works.

Of course I still can't view in 3D unless your side by side uploads aren't flagged for 3D, Chrome is 2D/anaglyph only but I can get the higher resolutions again.

Last edited by tomtastic; 10-01-2017 at 11:18 AM.
post #77 of 80 Old 10-01-2017, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Did a few test uploads for SbS 3D detection. So it detects PD's 3D meta data and will throw the 3D flag on YT every time. But VP it doesn't seem to detect it. I'm not doing anything special, this is in VP 13, using AVC render template, I have project settings to SbS half then render. I sampled using files from the 3D1 which are already half 3D resolution files and I also tested dual stream files and both have the same result when uploaded to YT. I would say that VP does not place the 3D meta info for 3D that YT detects while PD does.
post #78 of 80 Old 10-02-2017, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I would say that VP does not place the 3D meta info for 3D that YT detects while PD does.
Yes, Tom, I agree, VP v13 does not inject meta data in any of their renderings for auto 3D detection. I did a simple test with my HT system.

Rendered a 3D clip in VP to an MP4 file and then the same camera clip in Edius v7.53, then in Adobe Premiere Pro. Both the Premiere Pro and Edius will auto switch the MP4 file to a frame packed display 3D automatically on my projector but the clip shows up in SBS that was rendered with VP. This is with the Samsung K8500 player set for 1080p output in it's settings. My Oppo will not detect the meta data and all three files show up as SBS.

I concluded that the older players and TV's do not detect the meta data for auto switching. Older render engines do not inject the metadata but you can add it later with the injector tool. Of course in the case of my Samsung player, it is a UHD player and if not put into 1080p mode it will auto upscale to 3840 and that will be ignored by my projector.

If a video has meta data injected and you then do another render, it may not pass on the meta data. I tested an injected file in VP and it filtered out the meta data too. I have one 3D camera that has meta data but that is filtered in VPv13.

My testing with YT is not as respected because their are just too many flavors of players. I must have a dozen YT players here and so many are different.
post #79 of 80 Old 10-02-2017, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

4K access: Tom, I believe that Google does some sort of testing of your connection to determine what you are capable of streaming and limits some players upper end. This may be why you lost 4K for awhile. During Hurricane Irma, for about a week we had problems here with internet speed after 2 days of being without. However, none of my 4K content was showing up for my Home theater players. In fact, many of my own videos were limited access to 360 and you know I never post 380 or anything lower than 1080p for that matter. I don't believe it was Comcast that limited the YT access, rather it was Google's connection testing. After 4 days we were all back to normal here.
post #80 of 80 Old 10-02-2017, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

As far as YT updating their players to add SbS, I doubt this will happen. One, 3D is already given the cold shoulder. Two, if you look at it from hardware point, most browsers aren't being displayed in 3D but onto a 2D screen. They're likely counting on 3D users to use built in 3D hardware that use the auto detect feature or the user can manually enter the mode. Problem I have with my 2014 4K display is that it will not stream higher than 720p and navigation on YT isn't good. On top of that YT has disabled 2012 and older YT app support because they were Flash based apps so that is gone now, I assume my 3D BD player's YT app is also defunct too. So that leaves my Mac Pro direct to 4K display and I can't get higher than 720p there either now because they've removed h.264 file access on YT end. Chrome I can get 4K now again, but not in 3D. It's really irritating, have to download source files only way to do it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page