New camera battery rules for airline travelers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry C

post #1 of 5 Old 12-24-2016, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
New camera battery rules for airline travelers

Thought I'd post this as lots of 3D camera travelers bring a lot of backup batteries. The airline I was on when I went to Africa had rules similar to this, but never said anything about the batteries in my carry-on, and there were a lot. But I had them in plastic bags separated for other contents. Since the Galaxy Note 7 issue, there is a lot more attention paid to batteries now, however. These are not universal rules with all airlines, so you probably need to check with the airline before going leaving the house.

No Naked Batteries in Checked Luggage All batteries must be installed in devices if carried in luggage. No single exposed batteries can be in the luggage.

Naked Batteries in Carry-on
Naked batteries are allowed in carry-ons, however, the terminals must be protected from touching other battery terminals--use the plastic sleeve that batteries usually come in.

Some airlines want spare batteries to be packed as follows:
  • The batteries are still in their retail packaging.
  • The batteries each are in their own isolated container. (Such as wrapping each battery in cling wrap)
  • The batteries have the connectors on either end completely covered with tape.
  • The batteries are stored in a protective battery container.

The simplest solution is to get small plastic bags for each battery. Lunch snack bags (half sandwich size ) are perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-28-2016, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Thought I'd post this as lots of 3D camera travelers bring a lot of backup batteries. The airline I was on when I went to Africa had rules similar to this, but never said anything about the batteries in my carry-on, and there were a lot. But I had them in plastic bags separated for other contents. Since the Galaxy Note 7 issue, there is a lot more attention paid to batteries now, however. These are not universal rules with all airlines, so you probably need to check with the airline before going leaving the house.

No Naked Batteries in Checked Luggage All batteries must be installed in devices if carried in luggage. No single exposed batteries can be in the luggage.

Naked Batteries in Carry-on
Naked batteries are allowed in carry-ons, however, the terminals must be protected from touching other battery terminals--use the plastic sleeve that batteries usually come in.

Some airlines want spare batteries to be packed as follows:
  • The batteries are still in their retail packaging.
  • The batteries each are in their own isolated container. (Such as wrapping each battery in cling wrap)
  • The batteries have the connectors on either end completely covered with tape.
  • The batteries are stored in a protective battery container.

The simplest solution is to get small plastic bags for each battery. Lunch snack bags (half sandwich size ) are perfect.
Seems like good common sense rules. Even at home or in the car, I always put each battery into its own separate snack baggie and then put those baggies into a larger zip lock. Certainly easy enough for air travelers to do.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-31-2016, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry C View Post
Seems like good common sense rules. Even at home or in the car, I always put each battery into its own separate snack baggie and then put those baggies into a larger zip lock. Certainly easy enough for air travelers to do.
Barry, you'd think it was an obvious thing to do, but many of the people I was with had exposed batteries in their pockets with loose change. A couple of coins touching and in contact with the battery connections and fireworks . But nothing every happened, and if nothing happens it must be "okay" as one of the travelers told me. .

post #4 of 5 Old 12-31-2016, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Barry, you'd think it was an obvious thing to do, but many of the people I was with had exposed batteries in their pockets with loose change. A couple of coins touching and in contact with the battery connections and fireworks . But nothing every happened, and if nothing happens it must be "okay" as one of the travelers told me. .
What a conforting thought. And to think, on our last trip the Mexicans took away my cigar cutter from my carry on. Could it have possibly been used as a weapon for doing circumcisions
3DBob likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-02-2017, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry C View Post
What a conforting thought. And to think, on our last trip the Mexicans took away my cigar cutter from my carry on. Could it have possibly been used as a weapon for doing circumcisions
Mexicans make up the rules as they desire, usually to steal tourist property. He probably wanted it for himself. Mexico is a horrible place to visit for tourists. Cozumel isn't too bad but the mainland can be an adventure you never planned on.

Last May, the TSA got all excited about my batteries in my camera case. They were the 18650 variety that were upright in their own hole in the foam so they couldn't come in contact with anything, but I was told they look like shotgun shells to the X-ray inspector. After an open case inspection, he told me to avoid trouble in the future, pack the batteries in a plastic ziplock bag and take them out and place in the dog dish separately so they can see what they are.

TSA does all the inspections for the cruise ships too in the US.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page