Syncronized Canon 3D and Timelapse - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-16-2017, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Syncronized Canon 3D and Timelapse

If you own Canon cameras, then this might be useful:

http://sdm.camera/

Software does a multitude of things and apparently gets invoked in camera without interfering with normal software.

More info: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4104894
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-17-2017, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Bob, I thought that it's widely known on this forum. SDM started many years ago and I was involved in writing and testing the code for tight synchronisation of cameras about 8-10 year ago (I cannot remember exact year). Most of my 3D pictures were taken with SDM.

Anyhow, it is one of the best solution for synched 3D pictures. Recently you can even get synched videos as well. It's not so easy as using JVC or Panasonic 10k video camera, but you can get decent results (and variable stereo base! ).

Unfortunately, the newest models are usually not covered, so you have to wait until someone "hacks" the particular camera model.

Damir
post #3 of 6 Old 01-17-2017, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Damir, I'm just trying to keep information alive while 3D dies a slow death. While I don't have much use for SDM, I'm hoping others will. And your past experience with it will help refresh the use of two cameras for 3D. I think the synced videos is definitely worthy of more discussion. Thanks...

post #4 of 6 Old 01-17-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Yes, I think it was used on cameras pre 2010, like HDV camcorders and point and shoots before the wide (but short) release of 3D camcorders and the Fuji W3/Pan 3D1 still cameras. It requires the USB port right? They've been removed now without any similar control port. There's a cable trigger for mirror-bodied cameras that will do sync like with a pair of Canon 5D's, will work for video too.

The only other way I know of (without genlock), and I'm curious to test it out would be with a pair of GH4's and use a single external recorder (video only, I believe). I believe this would be true sync genlock, only problem is the interaxial with a side by side rig would be fairly wide about 5 inches at the closest, maybe more with HDMI port used, have to go with a mirror rig.

The other one I'm interested in still is a pair of BM micro cinema 4K cameras. They have HD SDI outs that could run to single external recorder for genlock. One camera can be inverted (I believe) with the top 1/4 20 mounting hole (I think they have a global sensor so shouldn't have rolling shutter artifacts upside down to deal with which is bad for 3D). I haven't seen one in person to confirm the mounting holes line up top/bottom but if they do you could then have the right camera upside down and have the left SDI out on the left camera and the right SDI out on the right camera as it would be upside down for closest interaxial. The closest interaxial would be 3.25". Only problem is the cost which is 1300 each plus an external recorder and media. Would be close to 5k all in. Wish the cameras were a little cheaper. You can pick up a used GH4 for less.

Not too many solutions for 3D now, have to use duel cameras but lack of genlock in prosumer and consumer cameras is a problem. Genlock ports, usually larger more expensive cameras. GoPro maybe if they add the cable sync, I guess they added one for VR awhile back, maybe that works. There was the Lytro cameras with lightfield sensors but that's gone now and they were only stills. Company finally figured out people didn't want low resolution adjustable focus images. With further development I think this would be interesting for 3D but really just for macro where dual lenses are next to impossible. Or in cinema where they're using single lenses anyway (almost all converted movies now anyway). There's Ratrix cameras, I think the same concept, and even shoot video, but no prices listed so you can guess you can't afford it.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-18-2017, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
"For the first time ever, SDM supports an interchangeable-lens camera"
I used with 2 A460's
post #6 of 6 Old 02-12-2017, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the interesting informitsiyu for themselves something understood))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page