Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-11-2017, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
PowerDVD 17

It's available with 360 and 4K UHD features (supposedly--we know how PDVD can be problematic). https://www.cyberlink.com/stat/edms/...m-US-Web.html?

Upgrade is half price, but can't use the coupon, apparently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-13-2017, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, as you know, I'm an early adopter, so I bought PDVD17. It actually works better (for me) than PDVD16 and does a better job with 3D--so far anyway. So it looks like they fixed a few things that went haywire in PDVD16 vs. PDVD15. I haven't tried the 360 VR yet--more to come....
post #3 of 11 Old 04-14-2017, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What you mean better job with 3D?
What was the problem before?
(maybe support separate left-right files finally?)

post #4 of 11 Old 04-14-2017, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxman View Post
What you mean better job with 3D?
What was the problem before?
(maybe support separate left-right files finally?)
It does a better job of auto recognizing 3D formats. It will play full frame SBS as well. PDVD16 did not recognize 3D most of the time, whereas PDVD15 did. You would still have to combine separate L/R files in and editing program first before playing.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-14-2017, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i use v14, which also support 3840x1080 full sbs
post #6 of 11 Old 04-14-2017, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, after version 14, 3D gets a little dicey to use.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-02-2017, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi 3d bob,
Seen a lot of your posts so recon you'd be a good source to maybe have an idea of a problem I'm getting with pdvd15 and 17. The following applies equally to both versions:
2 d playback is perfect. 3d playback: auto detect 3d format no longer works but manually selecting sbs or ou and playback is perfect all the way through with any of my mkv collection.
If I select stop or use top right windows X to close window my pc freezes. I have to go to task manager and end task for pdvd and then restart windows explorer. I'm then left with windows settings changed to 1920x1080 and 24hz and need to go to intel's driver to reset to uhd 30hz. Other option is to reboot the pc, doing it way all my original display setting are restored.
So far I'm not getting anywhere with Cyberlink support, who'd have guessed!

I won't list all my specs because dvd15 used to work perfectly so my system is quite capable, my screen is 67@uhd hdmi 2 uhd. I have done a wipe and clean installed win10 ver 1703, no codec packs or other players installed so no conflicts. I downloaded the free trial of 17 to see if it was a windows 10 problem and the newer version would work properly, but alas no.

Any ideas would be appreciated as no point paying for update if I can't get it working properly.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-02-2017, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Silky999 (welcome to the 3D forums). Looks like you are a victim of graphic driver updates and hdmi requirements for 1080p 3D, which must be 1080p 24fps (or 720p 60fps). So it's switching your graphics card and in turn your monitor. Then it freezes when you want out of 3D. What graphics card are you using? Invidia or Intel embedded--CPU graphics or ? Right click your screen with your mouse and see if a graphics control panel selections shows up.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-03-2017, 01:24 PM

Hi Bob,
Intel on board graphics, i6 6600k.
Clean install of win 10 pro 1703, no other codec packs of players installed.
pdvd 15 used to work flawlessly until later builds of 10. current install is not of the insiders variety.
Samsung 67" uhd hdmi 2.0, and bloody expensive when I bought it
I can see that pdvd switches the display to 1920x1080 when playing 3d mkv files and leaves it there after crashing windows explorer. using the Intel control panel or windows setting panel allows me to reset to uhd. Sometimes after the freeze the Intel control panel icon disappears from desktop short cut and task bar.
Thanks for replying.
Graham
post #10 of 11 Old 05-03-2017, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Silky999, Check what graphics driver you have for the Intel. Do you allow auto Windows 10 updates? If so, turn that off. Once you see what drivers you have, go to the Intel Website and match that driver with the release date. Then look to see what drivers they released in the past around the time when your display did work. Then uninstall the current driver and install the older drivers. You might have to try several drivers, but I'm guessing the current Intel driver is the culprit. Also, did you update the latest patch to PDVD15? If so, uninstall PDVD15, and install the first release. If that works, then don't do the patch. However, the fact that PDVD17 doesn't work either still points to your Intel driver. Also, did you happen to update firmware on the Samsung. If so, see if you can back off to a previous firmware. I've lots of issues with auto detect for PDVD16 and 17 too, and still do. PDVD15 still works, but I still have the original install without any patches. What I have to do is unclick play 3D in 3D, and then reclick while the video is playing and that seems to work. I think my graphics drivers are the problem too, but I need those drivers for another video editing program, so I live with it. My monitor doesn't freeze though.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-05-2017, 06:43 AM

Hi Bob,
Yes I agree its a conflict with Intel's driver. I think is bad of Cyberlink to release a new version when there is such a big bug with a simple hardware configuration, especially as it's been ongoing for a long time.
I think it's easier to get things back to normal through task manager than spending hours trawling through Intel drivers, it's not like i'm playing 3d every day or week for that matter.
Cyberlink finally after several communications gave me a couple of things to try which didn't make any difference and I've provided them with an error log. I'll let you know the outcome in due course.
Have to say that I can't see any video quality difference between 15 and 17 with mkv playback. There's still some ghosting in 3d, have to say Arcsoft was miles better in 3d quality and very disappointed Cyberlink hasn't caught up.
Cheers
graham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page