How to view 3D youtube videos on your PC and bypass the browser. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-05-2017, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 161
How to view 3D youtube videos on your PC and bypass the browser.

I came upon this today while trying to download and watch a youtube 3D video on PowerDVD. I couldn't get it to work and then came across the VLC player. It plays just about any youtube in its original 3D format of SBS or Top/Bottom. You then have to activate your monitor for the format, and I must say it plays like butter at full resolution and bit rate . I was very impressed. Once you download and run VLC--it's open source and very safe to run--then go to youtube and pick out your 3D video and capture the URL. In VLC click on Media and then Capture Location from Clipboard, the click Ok and pause the video. Then right click your mouse, then click View and select Full Screen--you must select full screen if you want the 3D to fill the screen and have the correct separation. If you don't you will see open bars left and right and too much separation. Select the correct format 3D on your monitor-- it will then switch to 3D mode and press the space bar to play the video. You will hopefully be amazed as I was. No more HTML 5 or trying to get flash player to work in your browser. This works, it plays perfectly and also has good sound. VLC also has a video capture feature, which I have not tried yet.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Last edited by 3DBob; 09-05-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-06-2017, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I've been using VLC for years. Haven't used the streaming plugins yet. So I went and tested this, but it won't play higher than 720p for me. I went and checked Safari and now it won't go higher than 720p again. It seemed to have this problem a few years ago and then it allowed the higher resolutions, now it's not working again, only 720p. So I don't know what's going on, very frustrating.

In VLC you can set prefs. to the screen you want and to default to full screen, that way you don't have to set it every video, it will just default to your 3D screen and full screen. That's what I do for local videos. Of course Chrome is still worthless for 3D but I can get the higher resolutions there. Not sure what's going on but not more than a week ago I was able to play higher than 720p with Safari browser and now I can't.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-06-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Yeah, something's changed recently again in YT. I checked on my laptop and it's doing the same thing, only I can get up to 1440p or 1080p depending on the max quality, but no 4K. I tried VLC network connection and it's denied on my laptop. Won't work at all thru VLC. So now I have no way to view 3D videos higher than 720p so basically 3D is a bust for me aside from downloading the files directly. Also can't use Flash player either as the connection is now blocked only HTML5. Only other thing it could be is they've added a new auto detect for internet speed and it's blocking the higher resolutions, other than that I don't know yet.

This line intentionally left blank.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-06-2017, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yup, you're right it only plays in 720p. But that said, it still looks great on my monitor and better than watching in anaglyph for sure.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-06-2017, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 308
YouTube chunks the 1080p and 4k files so you need to download lots of little video snippets and combine them (they do it for adaptive quality - if your internet connection slows down it chunks a lower res version so video plays without sitting at the spinni circle). Simple players like VLC can't handle the chunked format and YouTube only offers single files (non chunked) format for 720p and below.

The only way to get full 4k is to use YouTube-DL to download the file first. It will download the individual chunks and then combine them into one file.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-07-2017, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, Worf, good to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Source Components

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page