Is 3D TV the next big thing for 2010? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2009, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was watching Fox Business today, and they were running a series of interviews from Dreamworks. Intel was interviewed, and the 3D movies about to be released were also discussed in some detail.

At the end of the interview, one of the anchors asked the other if she had seen the 3D Shrek 4 trailer. She said yes. He asked her where, and she said on an as yet unannounced 3D Panasonic TV which will debut at CES.

Is 3D the next big thing for 2010 and beyond?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, 3D and Smell-O-Vision are early 1900s technologies that will soon be in your face, again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smell-O-Vision
Old 12-18-2009, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Mehhh.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post

Yes, 3D displays and Smell-O-Vision are technologies that will soon be in your face.

Both have been used since the early 1900s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smell-O-Vision

FOOD NETWORK!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:12 PM

I think Avatar is really helping bring 3-D TV to the forefront. Once people see it in 3D and realize that it can be done without having crap always flying in your face it could really push demand.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

3D is probably cool for animation and video games. Not sure about everything else though.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:57 PM

I can't post the link but this is from the Consumer Reports blog.

Among the details of the spec:

3D players can deliver full 1080p resolution to each eye, maintaining image quality
3D players will work with any type of 3D-enabled HDTV, regardless of type or brand
3D players will be able to play standard 2D Blu-ray discs
Current Blu-ray players can playing 3D titles in 2D
Support for 3D playback in PlayStation 3 game console
Support for some advanced graphic features, such as 3D menus and subtitles
Old 12-18-2009, 10:04 PM

I don't care a whit about 3D. I don't know what it is I'm supposed to like about it, but whatever it is, I don't. I hope it becomes the next big thing so that the advanced non-3D technologies quickly move into the lower price tiers and make perfectly good high-end sets that just don't happen to support 120hz+ input more affordable to average users. But for me, it's basically a headache-inducing extravagance which was cool in the mid to late 20th century because special effects weren't particularly amazing and it had "wow!" factor; now televisions have genuinely flat, undistorted high-resolution screens which provide the "illusion" of depth and realism perfectly well, and adding yet another layer (which is A: limited by the physical dimensions of the television, and B: essentially just exploiting an optical illusion) has not impressed me lately.

It's the kind of thing that is cool at a theater because the screen takes up your entire field of view and so it's almost like the film is happening around you, but even very big TVs don't offer nearly the same level of field-of-vision coverage and so it's more like watching it happening in this sort of smaller box that you're not really in. I mean, yeah, we've come a long way since colored glasses, and I'm not saying it isn't fun sometimes, but it's basically a gimmick/novelty that has already worn off on me before it's even really got started.

I'll be ecstatic when a genuinely three-dimensional projection system comes out, but who knows if that'll happen in our lifetimes? The whole underlying technology has yet to be developed for anything like that to exist, taking into account entirely new avenues in recording, distribution and playback - at the moment it's science fiction. What passes for 3D these days doesn't move me and until it just becomes a feature that everything has, I'll make no special allowances for it in my budget.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:10 PM

So they dust off this 3D thing every so often, tell everyone that it sucks less than the last time they saw it and it sucked, people go see it and get their 3D gimmick fix, but it's still not compelling enough to pay more for or go to the theater more often or even see it as anything but a gimmick.

So now the CE manufacturers can't figure out what to sell people after as-big-as-they-can-fit-in-your-house 1080p panels, 1080p Blu-ray players and Dolby 3D surround sound systems with a gazillion speakers... so they latch on to the age old 3D gimmick and promise you that buying all new crap to replace your current perfectly good crap will result in a 3D experience that's less crappy than the crappy 3D experience you keep seeing in the theaters.

I can't see how this bleeding edge is appealing to anyone other than carnies and lotto winners, instead we should just buy stock in the companies that make Tylenol, Advil, Bayer, etc. and use our windfall profits to buy a holo-deck once they become available.

Of course I'm sure I'll be wrong and we'll all be glued to the couch with our goggles on watching Oprah in 3D on our new 3D-enabled home theater systems paid for in part by the "Cash for 2D clunkers" federal program

--
Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

3d the next big thing. I had to go find this image that always pops in my head whenever I hear the word.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topmounter View Post

So they dust off this 3D thing every so often, tell everyone that it sucks less than the last time they saw it and it sucked, people go see it and get their 3D gimmick fix, but it's still not compelling enough to pay more for or go to the theater more often or even see it as anything but a gimmick.

So now the CE manufacturers can't figure out what to sell people after as-big-as-they-can-fit-in-your-house 1080p panels, 1080p Blu-ray players and Dolby 3D surround sound systems with a gazillion speakers... so they latch on to the age old 3D gimmick and promise you that buying all new crap to replace your current perfectly good crap will result in a 3D experience that's less crappy than the crappy 3D experience you keep seeing in the theaters.

I can't see how this bleeding edge is appealing to anyone other than carnies and lotto winners, instead we should just buy stock in the companies that make Tylenol, Advil, Bayer, etc. and use our windfall profits to buy a holo-deck once they become available.

Of course I'm sure I'll be wrong and we'll all be glued to the couch with our goggles on watching Oprah in 3D on our new 3D-enabled home theater systems paid for in part by the "Cash for 2D clunkers" federal program

Amazing post, literally made me laugh out loud. Fantastically accurate sentiment, as well.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

Heh, of course you are wrong, completely wrong. First, the price of 3D enabled panels will be the same as 2D, in fact one can expect all panels carrying soon the 3D ready label - remember times of HD ready and full HD TVs? Thus, those buying new panels will be buying 3D ones automatically. Then they will only have to buy glasses to watch 3D and that will not be any significant price. Second, nobody is talking about watching 3D all the time. This will be for occasional special viewing. Just last week the 3D Blue Ray disc specs were finalized, 3D discs people will be compatible with 2D, people will buy them and watch in 2D or 3D. As in the case of panels, anybody buying new Blue Ray player will be soon buying a 3D enabled one.

Much the same as the 3D cinema is occasional specialty success, the same will be with 3D@home.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

100% agree about not buying overpriced bleeding edge technology. Most people who buy it just whip out the CC and worry about the bill later. What's another $20 per month? Then of course you have to upgrade all your other equipment in order to be able to utilize all the high tech features.

The nice thing is you can buy up 3-4yr old technology for pennies on the dollar. Picked up my Mits WS65513 on Craigslist for $100, somebody paid $3,000 or so for it back in 2004. Picked up my "technologically obsolete" 720p LG 42" TV brand new for $450, people were giving $2,000+ for these 3 yrs ago.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 72
This message is intended only for 3D supporters, FUD spreaders and naysayers go away: Sony secured the glasses for 3D

As a premium please look at the Sony brings 3D home
Old 12-21-2009, 12:25 PM
TNG
AVS Special Member

I don't think that 3D will sell that much. Maybe Avatar is a great example of what 3D can do (I have not seen it), but there are allot of movies that I have not seen in 2D yet.

It is like the prediction that BD will replace DVD, yes and no. I don't have a BD player and don't need one until the prices of the software comes down much more. Same for 3D, don't need a capable panel until I need to replace one of the ones that I already have, which may be awhile, money doesn't grow on trees.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
3D will be a lot like green technology...everyone will talk a good game but when it's time to get out the wallet...ehh, not so much. A niche product for quite some time would be my guess unless the costs of software and displays are in line with their 2D counterparts.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I just bought a new 52" LCD, I don't see buying another one next year just to accommodate a handful of 3D Blu-ray offerings.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Ugh, who am I kidding, I probably will

Old 12-21-2009, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 94
If I want 3-D I'll go outside.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Until we have cheap, mainstream technology that allows a TV to show depth without glasses, it is always going to be a gimmick. I recently saw a demonstration of Panasonic's 3D system. They came to town with their huge truck, with a small theater inside it. I was unimpressed. They are using battery operated LCD shutter glasses that are controlled via IR.

Several problems I saw with this tech...
1. Resolution is halved. You don't get full 1080p per eye.
2. Although things looked "3D" and popped out of the screen, everything looked like "ghosts" to me. It was not the same as viewing a solid object with your own two eyes in the real world.

Note to Panasonic reps that are in charge of this demonstration: Turn down those crappy Panasonic speakers you have in that truck. Are you trying to show off your speakers, or your 3D tech? Because your subwoofers were bottoming out, and the surround speakers were distorting!
Old 12-21-2009, 03:09 PM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Ha! Great line!
Old 12-21-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathon View Post

Until we have cheap, mainstream technology that allows a TV to show depth without glasses, it is always going to be a gimmick. I recently saw a demonstration of Panasonic's 3D system. They came to town with their huge truck, with a small theater inside it. I was unimpressed. They are using battery operated LCD shutter glasses that are controlled via IR.

Several problems I saw with this tech...
1. Resolution is halved. You don't get full 1080p per eye.
2. Although things looked "3D" and popped out of the screen, everything looked like "ghosts" to me. It was not the same as viewing a solid object with your own two eyes in the real world.

Note to Panasonic reps that are in charge of this demonstration: Turn down those crappy Panasonic speakers you have in that truck. Are you trying to show off your speakers, or your 3D tech? Because your subwoofers were bottoming out, and the surround speakers were distorting!

Hi Dathon,

Did you get to see the Panasonic 3D Demo? I saw it in London & was overall quite impressed in the sense that it was better than I expected such a demo to be but found live material better on 3D than movie stuff - maybe it was just me or that particular demo!

Bazzy!
Old 12-21-2009, 03:20 PM

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG View Post

I don't think that 3D will sell that much. Maybe Avatar is a great example of what 3D can do (I have not seen it), but there are allot of movies that I have not seen in 2D yet.

It is like the prediction that BD will replace DVD, yes and no. I don't have a BD player and don't need one until the prices of the software comes down much more. Same for 3D, don't need a capable panel until I need to replace one of the ones that I already have, which may be awhile, money doesn't grow on trees.

I did see Avatar on Friday in 3D, but not IMAX 3D. Overall, I loved the movie, but I could have done without the 3D, even though it was the "cleanest" attempt I've seen of it. The Real3D glasses weren't as bad as the old days, but it did dim the screen a bit. I like my movies bright and popping, so I won't see another blockbuster in 3D, even if it's The Hobbitt.

At home, unless they come out with an IMAX TV, I won't be looking for a 3D capable set next year when I plan to shop for a 52'-55' LCD 240hz to replace my aging 46' DLP. I particualarly have reservations if they plan to charge a premium for it (I know they will).

With CES a few weeks away, I can't wait to see what goodies they try to con us into. Like I said, I will be in the market in 2010.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Reminds me of this past summer, I was at an MLS game, and my friend's 14 year old daughter says "wow, this is great, it's just like high def".

Old 12-21-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roobieroo View Post

I think Avatar is really helping bring 3-D TV to the forefront. Once people see it in 3D and realize that it can be done without having crap always flying in your face it could really push demand.

Avatar is the reason I want my next set to be 3D capable... even willing to hold out on a new purchase if it means getting a 3D set!
Old 12-21-2009, 04:08 PM

Wow, I'm surprised with the amount of skepticism in this thread. The technology is definitely a step up from HD. I agree that I do not intend to watch everything in 3D so long as it requires me to wear glasses... but I would love to have the option. Especially when it comes to my favorite movies on blu ray.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I will never buy another TV just for a few animated movies in 3D. And I have no desire to see real life movies in 3D on a regular basis. Gimmick in my opinion. But, I won't knock anyone who wants a new TV for it.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

I will never buy another TV just for a few animated movies in 3D. And I have no desire to see real life movies in 3D on a regular basis. Gimmick in my opinion. But, I won't knock anyone who wants a new TV for it.

If that's the only thing you want to watch in 3D then I agree. But real life material can look quite spectacular in 3D as well... Certainly better than HD. Aside from Avatar, I have seen a few educational vids in 3D... the effect is always nicely done and adds to the immersing experience of the viewing. Still, to each his own.

One drawback will definitely be the content available for the format. Cable & satellite barely provide enough HD content as it is. But as a gamer and an avid buyer of blu ray content, I'm hopeful there will be enough content to satisfy me.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvega View Post

If that's the only thing you want to watch in 3D then I agree. But real life material can look quite spectacular in 3D as well... Certainly better than HD. Aside from Avatar, I have seen a few educational vids in 3D... the effect is always nicely done and adds to the immersing experience of the viewing. Still, to each his own.

One drawback will definitely be the content available for the format. Cable & satellite barely provide enough HD content as it is. But as a gamer and an avid buyer of blu ray content, I'm hopeful there will be enough content to satisfy me.

I think my apprehension comes from other gimmicks in the past. To me, this whole 3D thing feels like it's gonna be the 1080P, Full HD, 120Hz crap all over again.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

I have zero interest in this gimmick. Especially if it requires me to wear glasses to see the effect.

I don't enjoy the gimmick in the theaters and I have no reason to believe that I'll like it better in my home.