post #91 of 99 Old 01-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Remember the video can be run straight to the panel or projector. So receivers won`t become obsolete with only 1.3.o

I think that most consumers are not going to be willing to purchase an external HDMI switching solution to run in parallel with their HDMI 1.pre-4 receivers. It's too much of a PITA. Most consumers who buy receivers expect their receivers to serve not only as the central input switcher for both audio and video but also as scalers. Giving up these functions (or buying an external video processor supporting 1.4) is not not a realistic scenario for most.

I am particularly worried about the people who planned to buy a new receiver in the next 6 months. These are the people who will now put off these purchases until Denon, Onkyo, etc., offer full HDMI 1.4 support--would *anyone* buy a receiver that is obsolete out of the box? Given the shaky economic climate, this can't be good for the receiver manufacturers. I am particularly concerned about Denon, given their current marketing positioning aimed towards a higher-end customer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 01-14-2010, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I personally believe that sports could make 3D (not to mention gaming).I love college football,and the fights.

Art

Gaming would be an issue due to frame tearing and lack of a stable frame rate. Sports would be fantastic, done right. I'd love to see clean 3D of NFL, F1 and Moto GP racing. I'd be in Visual heaven.
post #93 of 99 Old 01-15-2010, 07:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 23
I have seen NBA in 3D and it was utterly stunning. Of course, I am sure I was being fed a best case scenario for signal compression, etc.

As far as gaming, I have a 3D gaming system and did some playing with it using World of Warcraft and it was quite impressive. With the gaming systems, you can adjust the depth of field to your liking, which should help people with eye fatigue if they want to turn down the depth.
post #94 of 99 Old 01-16-2010, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Sounds good, except that I don't watch sports. What else do they have?

If one considers ballet as a sport, then yes, you do watch "sports".
post #95 of 99 Old 01-16-2010, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
WE don't have ballet in Canada. Now Curling... THERE'S a sport!

Had an interesting chat with a high end a/v installer on a site yesterday for a couple of hours. They seem to be doing OK, his 'service' vehicle is one of those new tiny Mercedes..

He doesn't think 3D will take off simply due to the glasses, and in his words ...'the 3D standard will confuse the average consumer who doesn't do some solid research before buying'.

I tend to agree with him. As I've posted elsewhere, due to my lazy eye, 3D has never worked for me, so I can't get excited about it regardless, but to me, considering the whole HDMI platform can barely be called stable at this point, it's a bit ridiculous that something else is thrown at the consumer.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #96 of 99 Old 01-16-2010, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
We don't have ballet in Canada. Now curling... THERE'S a sport!

Had an interesting chat with a high end a/v installer on a site yesterday for a couple of hours. They seem to be doing OK, his 'service' vehicle is one of those new tiny Mercedes..

He doesn't think 3D will take off simply due to the glasses, and in his words ...'the 3D standard will confuse the average consumer who doesn't do some solid research before buying'.

I tend to agree with him. As I've posted elsewhere, due to my lazy eye, 3D has never worked for me, so I can't get excited about it regardless, but to me, considering the whole HDMI platform can barely be called stable at this point, it's a bit ridiculous that something else is thrown at the consumer.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #97 of 99 Old 02-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post

I have seen NBA in 3D and it was utterly stunning. Of course, I am sure I was being fed a best case scenario for signal compression, etc.

As far as gaming, I have a 3D gaming system and did some playing with it using World of Warcraft and it was quite impressive. With the gaming systems, you can adjust the depth of field to your liking, which should help people with eye fatigue if they want to turn down the depth.

I've got 3D Vision and it's pretty cool however I've found that having the required 120Hz monitor is more of a benefit for gaming because of the higher frame rate in 2D. Racing games are better in 3D though because the distances are greater. I find I actually have less eyestrain when playing Grid in 3D.

I've also got a Mits 65" DLP that's 3D ready and while I haven't tried 3D on it yet it's supposed to be equally as impressive by most accounts. The nice thing is since they are near the end of their run the prices are very reasonable (under $1k delivered for mine) and are still compatible with DTV's upcoming 3D channels.

One thing I've noticed about the acceptance of 3D especially in the mainstream market is that the naysayers are a lot more vocal and passionate about their rejection of the technology.
post #98 of 99 Old 02-23-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post

We don't have ballet in Canada. Now curling... THERE'S a sport! ...

Seditionist!!! Treason!!!

What serious acts of betrayal of one's sovereign nation you commit!!

No ballet in Canada indeed! Have you never been to Windsor?

http://detnews.com/article/20060101/...Super-Sin-City

Exotic dancer Bittersweet Justice performs at Cheetah's AKA The Windsor Ballet.

"Support the Windsor Ballet"
post #99 of 99 Old 02-26-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Sports will be a nice place to start 3D content. I'm looking forward to the next Planet Earth in 3D, though, too.
Glasses won't be such an impediment. I already have to have my sofa, pillow, beer, chips... what is one more thing on the list gonna hurt?
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page