3D Non-sense - Page 17 - AVS Forum
First ... 15  16  17
3D Tech Talk > 3D Non-sense
Joseph Clark's Avatar Joseph Clark 03:41 PM 03-27-2010
Too over the top? Sorry, it was early and I was still bleary-eyed when I made that post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

chaz01's Avatar chaz01 08:19 PM 04-04-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSJones View Post

Even then the "I hate glasses" people will complain that you can see through the hologram , and then complain they can't watch it in a brightly lit room

...then it won't sell...
David Susilo's Avatar David Susilo 08:36 PM 04-04-2010
no, people don't complain when movies got colour (my grandfather was a commercial cinema owner), but as chaz01 mentioned, it took quite a while before "in color" finally turned into "in good, natural looking, not poke-you-in-the-eye color".

However, my biggest beef against 3D is that the content provider haven't been able to master HD yet and now they already want to jump to a different technology. Half @$$ed HD, followed with half @$$ed 3D, and with broadcast is half HD which makes it only "quarter @$$ed HD" .
chaz01's Avatar chaz01 08:52 PM 04-04-2010
People didn't complain when movies were in color but the transition to tv was shaky early on and took time to perfect.

Most posts are not complaining about movies in 3d, just about tv going to 3d.

Also, the color conversion didn't require headgear. Big difference. I did hear of a screen attachment that was tinted blue on the top and green on the bottom. Laughable if true but an early attempt that eventually lead to improvements. Just wouldn't be interested in watching it.

As David points out, the last greatest thing has yet to be completed. Majority of my tv channels are still in 4:3 480i even with digital mandate (which was balked at by the industry if I remember correctly. Poor folks would be left without TV! OMG! The sky will fall! It's a travesty!). 1080i vs 720p debate nullified with intro to 1080p. where are the 1080p tv channels?

Credibility a bit shaky. And the glasses....
Ken H's Avatar Ken H 09:26 PM 04-04-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz01 View Post

As David points out, the last greatest thing has yet to be completed.

This is true, and it is a real concern. HD can be a lot better than it sometimes is, but the market place is as much to blame as the industry. After all, who bought into the 'more HD channels is better HD' theory?

Q. When was the last time you heard of consumers petitioning HD providers to reduce the number of HD channels in exchange for better HD on fewer channels?
A. Never. Everybody wants more, and when push comes to shove, HD image quality suffers.

Quote:

Majority of my tv channels are still in 4:3 480i even with digital mandate (which was balked at by the industry if I remember correctly.

Because the majority of content was created before HD existed, and a lot of it (video based) can never be native HD. And the TV industry didn't balk at digital TV.

Quote:

1080i vs 720p debate nullified with intro to 1080p. where are the 1080p tv channels?

Although 1080p is part of the existing ATSC standards, no one ever expected it would be in use except for film based sources at some point in the future; the frame rate is way to slow for live action. At least for the time being, MPEG2 simply doesn't have the capability to deliver that much signal. Maybe it never will.

Quote:

Credibility a bit shaky.

In what sense? HDTV was never part of the government mandated change to Digital TV.

Quote:

And the glasses....

Lots of people wear glasses. I'd bet even you do, in the sun.
GregLee's Avatar GregLee 10:13 PM 04-04-2010
Quote:

I did hear of a screen attachment that was tinted blue on the top and green on the bottom.

I remember those! My family had one. I think I remember it because I had to have the point of it explained to me (which was irritating).
Lee Stewart's Avatar Lee Stewart 09:45 AM 04-05-2010
Report: Top Rated Ads Indicate Consumer Interest in 3DTV

Quote:

A Samsung Electronics ad for a new 3D LED television ranked No. 1 among the TV spots for creative effectiveness for the quarter ended March 31, according to a new report.

The ad, which scored 736 points out of a possible 950, including 759 points for persuasion and 677 points for watchability, beat out an advertising campaign for the Apple iPad, according to Ace Metrix, a Los Angeles-based media measurement company.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/3-d...est-3dtv-18967
David Susilo's Avatar David Susilo 09:51 AM 04-05-2010
Quote:

Also, the color conversion didn't require headgear. Big difference. I did hear of a screen attachment that was tinted blue on the top and green on the bottom. Laughable if true but an early attempt that eventually lead to improvements. Just wouldn't be interested in watching it.

I've never heard of blue-top and green-bottom, but my (parents') first colour TV comes with tinted blue screen (can't remember the brand, it was easily about 30+ years ago) and it actually makes the picture look weirder. We took it off.
Steve S's Avatar Steve S 02:41 PM 04-05-2010
Those complaining about glasses should read about what might have been in regard to color tv:

http://www.davidsarnoff.org/jac-maintext.html

Here are some pictures of these early "color wheel" sets, the bottom one's especially interesting--shows how big the color wheel would have been for a 30" tube set--it actually required a trough in the floor below the set.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/cbs_color_system.html
Lee Stewart's Avatar Lee Stewart 03:08 PM 04-05-2010
Megascreen Magnifier for larger TVs

http://www.optimalowvision.co.uk/pro...token=51952876

Also available for Small and Medium TVs

They used to sell something like this 50 years ago for 13" round tube TV's. it was a convex lens - you filled it with water and stuck it on the front of your TV to make the images look bigger.
chaz01's Avatar chaz01 03:10 PM 04-05-2010
Informative and interesting. Thanks.
David Susilo's Avatar David Susilo 06:45 AM 04-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Megascreen Magnifier for larger TVs

http://www.optimalowvision.co.uk/pro...token=51952876

Also available for Small and Medium TVs

They used to sell something like this 50 years ago for 13" round tube TV's. it was a convex lens - you filled it with water and stuck it on the front of your TV to make the images look bigger.

Which 25 years ago the "technology" changed into fresnel lens.

However, these are not "technology" per-se, just gimmickry... just like 3D-at-home
obveron's Avatar obveron 10:29 AM 04-07-2010
I am STOKED for 3DTVs. There is plenty of content, they're called VIDEO GAMES!!
I'm still on my CRT 1080i TV and I haven't upgraded to flat panel because I've been waiting for decent 3d.

I'm going to keep waiting until a new HDMI specification comes out with mandatory 1080p60 framepacking (very dissapointed 1.4 didn't do this), or alternatively a true 1080p120 signal (as already done with dual link DVI).

glasses don't bother me. actually auto-stereoscopic displays bother me due to the narrow viewing space.
chaz01's Avatar chaz01 11:58 AM 04-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post

I am STOKED for 3DTVs. There is plenty of content, they're called VIDEO GAMES!!
I'm still on my CRT 1080i TV and I haven't upgraded to flat panel because I've been waiting for decent 3d.

I'm going to keep waiting until a new HDMI specification comes out with mandatory 1080p60 framepacking (very dissapointed 1.4 didn't do this), or alternatively a true 1080p120 signal (as already done with dual link DVI).

glasses don't bother me. actually auto-stereoscopic displays bother me due to the narrow viewing space.

As someone who's been foo fooing 3d out here, and someone who also likes gaming, I have to admit the short 3d dune buggy racing game demo at the Sony store did look awesome. I would even don the dumb glasses for game playing. This is probably the venue that will launch 3d.
cctvtech's Avatar cctvtech 03:05 PM 04-07-2010
Personally, I'm waiting for 4D TV Forget 3D, 4D Avatar Movie In Korea.

"The 4D movie adds an additional 30 special effects to the 162 minute movie. These new special effects include such things as breeze and wind effect, mist, laser lights, moving seats and the smell of explosives that sync up with the onscreen action." I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning (sic)!
rmz76's Avatar rmz76 06:54 PM 04-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GobbityGotz View Post

The tech is still so primitive. When I can sit in my living room and watch "3d" without glasses I might bite. The tech now is way too infantile.

You mean like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3lDoVwEmts
Lee Stewart's Avatar Lee Stewart 09:40 PM 04-15-2010
IMO - this announcement qualifies () for THIS thread:

SRS Unveils Audio Solution For 3DTVs

Quote:

Santa Ana, Calif. - SRS Labs introduced Thursday its CircleCinema 3D advanced audio solution for 3D HDTV systems.

CircleCinema 3D is said to be the first audio solution designed exclusively at SRS' Advanced Rendering Lab (ARL).

The company said that to deliver 3D audio, ARL engineers equipped CircleCinema 3D with the ability to render "an immersive three-dimensional soundstage utilizing a combination of state-of-the-art SRS surround and adaptive tuning technologies."

http://www.twice.com/article/451510-..._For_3DTVs.php
First ... 15  16  17

Up
Mobile  Desktop