3D Non-sense - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 497 Old 01-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
to those whining about paying more for stuff because it has 3d, consider that right now you can buy a 3d 720p dlp projector for about $50-$100 less than you could buy a "normal" 720p dlp projector for 6 months ago.

The industry did one thing right here by making the tv/proj/etc side of the tech almost completely nothing (basically just 120hz refresh rate and you're done). Which puts the onus of paying for it on the 3d people, who now have to buy active glasses. Was talking to some guys at my office - two people in this small group *already have* 3d capable tvs, and didn't even realize it, they just bought what looked like the best bang for the buck tv.

Honestly, given what's already out there for cheap (as far as 3d capable tvs go), I definitely wouldn't worry about the 3d standard jacking up everyone elses tvs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 497 Old 01-12-2010, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows View Post

Actually Engadget doesn't agree with you. What manufacturers do you care about? For me right now it's Panasonic and Samsung. Both which seem to have focus on the overall quality and PQ of their panels.

Simply put Engadget doesn't really have a good grasp of things. No one does. I don't think a lot of the technical info behind the 2010 panels has been disclosed or discussed (that I know of). So until then it's all speculation.

I don't think you are getting the point.
post #93 of 497 Old 01-12-2010, 11:06 PM

Liked: 10
first off a lot of you are funny. Panasonic, sony and so on will eventually add this to every model. Whether you use it will be up to you. To the first poster, no you can absolutely not get a top of the line TV this year without 3D included. The prices they claim will not be much higher. Myself I want a Panny VT25 and the whole 25 series is 3D. So I'm going with 3D because I want the best TV I can get and that seems to be Panasonic Plasma.
post #94 of 497 Old 01-13-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePill View Post

I dont think its hatred, just fear of the unknown, coupled with a less than ideal solution off the bat.

3D took everyone by surprise for the most part, until a month ago, it didn't enter 99% of the minds of folks for home use.. Avatar and then CES was a 1-2 Punch that has floored a lot of people and its a lot to get their heads around.

If it didnt require the Glasses, i figure 90% of people would be 100% gung-ho for it.. but the Glasses are the big "IF"... For the last 80 years, TV didnt require a wearable accessory to work properly.

BUT, if the tech lines out and the content is delivered well, i think we are seeing a new dawn of technology for home entertainment.

Na, I think it tech envy... people who just got a new set within the past year don't like that everyone else is going to be getting something they don't have unless they upgrade themselves. I bet many of the people complaining about 3D aren't even the market for a set this year, and some just don't have the cash for it. I said some, so it's not neccessary for everyone to chime in saying that they're buying this year, they've got a $5k Kuro, or a ZR-1 in the garage blah blah blah. It's way to easy to fabricate a story on the Internet.

I find it hard to believe that a MAJORITY of people who truly have and are planning to use the cash for something like the VT25 series from Panasonic THIS YEAR, would be irritated about the sets also including 3D.
post #95 of 497 Old 01-13-2010, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

I don't think you are getting the point.

No, I do. I just really don't believe that if 3D wasn't coming out you'd see more leaps and bounds in the new line of TV's. I believe the companies are putting just as much effort into this year's improvements as they would've without 3D.
post #96 of 497 Old 01-13-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

No, I do. I just really don't believe that if 3D wasn't coming out you'd see more leaps and bounds in the new line of TV's. I believe the companies are putting just as much effort into this year's improvements as they would've without 3D.

i agree with this. It's like saying that sony/samsung only worked on 240 hertz this last year and PQ stayed the same... not true. The panels (for the most part) are obviously better, and with sony and sharp using the new Sharp panels (UV2A or whatever they are called), there will probably be a fairly nice leap forward in PQ.
post #97 of 497 Old 01-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

If that's what you believe that's fine. But I do want to point out that is your opinion and your just making a guess from your perspective and nothing else.

Again, I didn't say PQ wasn't improving but rather at a much slower rate because manufacturers were putting a large focus on thinness and 3D (just like engadget stated but you said they didn't agree with me). I have upgraded my TV every year for the last 6 years and follow CES and I can tell you that things have changed the last 2 years. And I could give you examples of last year however I'm certain if I did you would just tell me that I'm wrong so I won't take the time to bother.

Let me point out that it's just YOUR opinion and it's just engadget's OPINION. Do they have any tech to go on? No. Are they Panasonic fanboys? Unclear.

What's clear is this ONE site makes a broad statement about the new 3D tech being the focus (why not?) and how Panasonic stands tall not taking the focal point away from improved PQ, black levels, features, etc. Whatever the hell you want to say to make Panasonic look the best.

That's all I'm saying. You'd be very foolish to think the other manufacturers would sit by and not improve their panels? Seriously? That's why there's this thing called "competition."

By the way your last sentence or two about buying new tv's every year makes absolutely no sense. Changed in terms of what exactly?
post #98 of 497 Old 01-13-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Let me point out that it's just YOUR opinion and it's just engadget's OPINION. Do they have any tech to go on? No. Are they Panasonic fanboys? Unclear.

What's clear is this ONE site makes a broad statement about the new 3D tech being the focus (why not?) and how Panasonic stands tall not taking the focal point away from improved PQ, black levels, features, etc. Whatever the hell you want to say to make Panasonic look the best.

That's all I'm saying. You'd be very foolish to think the other manufacturers would sit by and not improve their panels? Seriously? That's why there's this thing called "competition."

By the way your last sentence or two about buying new tv's every year makes absolutely no sense. Changed in terms of what exactly?

Yes it is my opinion and I never said otherwise nor did I state you were wrong or tell you that you aren't following things closely based off of my opinion.

When I say improvements I am referring most specifically to contrast/black levels (mostly black levels) which is why I upgraded.

Also, you keep overlooking the fact that I stated TVs are improving (but IMO at a slower rate) and never once did I suggest that TV manufacturers are sitting still. I am not that naive.

However, don't overlook the fact that if one manufacturer goes for 3D then the rest must follow otherwise they risk giving the competitor the upper hand. And if that's the case the company must either pull from current resources or hire more resources. Given the current state of the economy, I'm not convinced that these companies have been bringing in new resources for new projects. But rather they are pulling from within (unfortunately this is common at this point in time with large companies trying to save a buck) and refocusing on other goals. Fewer resources typically means less research.
post #99 of 497 Old 01-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You know, I look terrible in glasses and I know that if we're watching 3D with those goofy glasses, they'll all be looking at me and not watching the show and they'll be giggling at me because I look so uncool. Therefore I hate 3D, even though I know nothing about it.

What is up with people who think wearing glasses is the end of the world??? If you have a huge screen and sit so close you can see the pixels, then maybe glasses will restrict your view of the screen, but seriously....
post #100 of 497 Old 01-13-2010, 09:15 PM

Unbelievable....I am almost speechless at the level of nescience portrayed in this forum.

I hate to make my 1st post such a negative one, but maybe it will spin to the positive by the time I'm done.

Are you people serious??? Are you the same people I used to talk to at the turn of the century who used to question HD by saying " I really don't see the difference" and "the technology is so infantile.....Are you serious??

Have you not seen Avatar in 3D? Have you not watched a football game in life like-almost there-digital 3D? Seriously??? I thought this forum was for the hardcore AV, the early adopters, the protectors of all that is holy?

What's NEXT? 4K sucks? or when 3D holographic imagery that matches real life comes out you'll say: "that not real"???

Get out of your outdated (yes I said it) Home Theater and go see the "future" NOW... (or simply stated get outside and see the real world)

This isn't your anaglyph 3D of old and no it's not perfect, but I dare you to see Avatar in 3D (properly configured) and then see it in 2D BACK-to-BACK or hell, wait a week if memory serves you correctly. But if you have any EYE at all you'll swear off the 2D version and anything like it instantly. Why? IT LOOKS FLAT. I hate to tell you this but the world is not flat....

There is a reason why Cameron is not going to make another 2D movie. There is a reason why DirecTV and ESPN3D will be broadcasting 3D worldwide this June for the World Cup. There is a reason why Hollywood and every major entertainment conglomerate have rallied behind 3D.

The reason why people here have not?

Fill in the blank.
post #101 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post

Unbelievable....I am almost speechless at the level of nescience portrayed in this forum.

I hate to make my 1st post such a negative one, but maybe it will spin to the positive by the time I'm done.

Are you people serious??? Are you the same people I used to talk to at the turn of the century who used to question HD by saying " I really don't see the difference" and "the technology is so infantile.....Are you serious??

Have you not seen Avatar in 3D? Have you not watched a football game in life like-almost there-digital 3D? Seriously??? I thought this forum was for the hardcore AV, the early adopters, the protectors of all that is holy?

What's NEXT? 4K sucks? or when 3D holographic imagery that matches real life comes out you'll say: "that not real"???

Get out of your outdated (yes I said it) Home Theater and go see the "future" NOW... (or simply stated get outside and see the real world)

This isn't your anaglyph 3D of old and no it's not perfect, but I dare you to see Avatar in 3D (properly configured) and then see it in 2D BACK-to-BACK or hell, wait a week if memory serves you correctly. But if you have any EYE at all you'll swear off the 2D version and anything like it instantly. Why? IT LOOKS FLAT. I hate to tell you this but the world is not flat....

There is a reason why Cameron is not going to make another 2D movie. There is a reason why DirecTV and ESPN3D will be broadcasting 3D worldwide this June for the World Cup. There is a reason why Hollywood and every major entertainment conglomerate have rallied behind 3D.

Fill in the blank.

I think its mainly that people have only had their HDTVs for a short while (1080P sets even shorter). People finally make the plunge and then find out that there is something around the corner that MAY be better, but it is something that will be unavailable to them as they had upgraded before it was available.

personally, i went and sold my 55A950 already so i can save a little more up and get a good 3D set when they come out. i don't mind losing a small amount of money in the process, as when upgrading, that is the nature of the beast. most people, though, don't agree with having to upgrade so often.

Personally for me, i don't want to get another set now (TVs on clearance are super cheap right now) thinking i will hate 3D or that it is a gimmick, and then end up seeing it in person later and regretting my purchase of a non-3D set. If i buy a 3D set, then i at least have the option of using it, and if I don't like it, i'll disable it. Just like AMP/motionflow.

But i definately want to see it before i buy something else, just so i can make an educated purchase.

But yea, the negativity here is pretty crazy. I think 99% of the people here (myself included) haven't seen it in person yet. Except those lucky buggers who were at CES/IFA
post #102 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

I think its mainly that people have only had their HDTVs for a short while (1080P sets even shorter). People finally make the plunge and then find out that there is something around the corner that MAY be better, but it is something that will be unavailable to them as they had upgraded before it was available.

personally, i went and sold my 55A950 already so i can save a little more up and get a good 3D set when they come out. i don't mind losing a small amount of money in the process, as when upgrading, that is the nature of the beast. most people, though, don't agree with having to upgrade so often.

Personally for me, i don't want to get another set now (TVs on clearance are super cheap right now) thinking i will hate 3D or that it is a gimmick, and then end up seeing it in person later and regretting my purchase of a non-3D set. If i buy a 3D set, then i at least have the option of using it, and if I don't like it, i'll disable it. Just like AMP/motionflow.

But i definately want to see it before i buy something else, just so i can make an educated purchase.

But yea, the negativity here is pretty crazy. I think 99% of the people here (myself included) haven't seen it in person yet. Except those lucky buggers who were at CES/IFA

I sold my TV and also gave a good deal to the buyer. I'll use the cash on a 3D Plasma. The crazy hate has been popping up for a while and I also said that I was amazed to see it among AVS members. Wow! It's as if some of them had become demonized. "I hope 3D fails." I can't even imagine why someone would even think of saying that unless manufacturers said that "you are hereby forced to buy this and the glasses and the media or else." "I hope it fails" is just like saying I want it to fail which is taking it personally. It is a very ignorant statement, doesn't belong here and goes against the spirit and purpose of the AVS Forum.
post #103 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Even then the "I hate glasses" people will complain that you can see through the hologram , and then complain they can't watch it in a brightly lit room
post #104 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Believe it or not,most people watch 2D and listen STEREO and will do this for
the rest of their life.Why?Because its GREAT.
post #105 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Liked: 14
My take as to why so many people are "pissed" is the rate that things change. AVS is about the early adopters and I think they are getting tired of their new "hardware" becoming obselete (or at least not upgradeable) every time something changes. They are then required to keep what they have (and be behind the times) or spend more money to get the "latest and greatest".

post #106 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Believe it or not,most people watch 2D and listen STEREO and will do this for
the rest of their life.Why?Because its GREAT.

Yes and I'm sure there is 90 year old Grandma out there saying the same of Mono because it is better than the old silent movies.

Most people I know have direct view sets and won't upgrade unless it fails. Most people that have 5.1 surround sound don't have the know how to set it up correctly.

The Masses are A$$es. What's new? We are not the masses, unless you are one of those that just recently adopted a 10 year old technology.
post #107 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Fill in the blank.

Disliking 3D has nothing to do with being anti-tech. I have spent a fortune as an early adpoter and love to upgrade. But to jump on the 3D bandwagon would cost near 5-10K, its just not worth the expense for a gimmick feature that will only occasionaly be used for a few movies. And its debatable still but most likely all will be at a cost of degrading picture quality....
post #108 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 10:50 AM

Hello?? Early home 3D is going to come nowhere near approaching movie theatre 3D like Avatar. I feel sorry for uneducated consumers if it's sold in that manner. Anyhow we've had standard def 3D for years on CRTs and broadcast television. And those paper glasses were cheap. I don't remember people getting that excited about the effect.

Similar to that treadmill you bought after New Years that now acts as a coat rack. That is today's HDTV 3D.
post #109 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill4903485 View Post

Hello?? Early home 3D is going to come nowhere near approaching movie theatre 3D like Avatar. I feel sorry for uneducated consumers if it's sold in that manner.

Closer than you might think, Bill. Properly implemented, the shutter glass technology has the potential to be superior to the polarization technique used for Avatar, especially in the home. Full 1080P in each eye and much greater brightness. Nothing inherently wrong with polarization, but expensive to implement at home. I expect to buy in later this year and will be much more educated by that time. I've learned a great deal in the past few days in the various threads discussing 3-D and will continue to read and digest the comments of our AVS members. I won't be put off by the nay-sayers who expect it to fail, or even more surprisingly wish it to fail. I wish it to succeed and will put my money where it will support the technology and bring it into my home!
post #110 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmreedjr View Post

Closer than you might think, Bill. Properly implemented, the shutter glass technology has the potential to be superior to the polarization technique used for Avatar, especially in the home. Full 1080P in each eye and much greater brightness. Nothing inherently wrong with polarization, but expensive to implement at home. I expect to buy in later this year and will be much more educated by that time. I've learned a great deal in the past few days in the various threads discussing 3-D and will continue to read and digest the comments of our AVS members. I won't be put off by the nay-sayers who expect it to fail, or even more surprisingly wish it to fail. I wish it to succeed and will put my money where it will support the technology and bring it into my home!

I'm in the same boat, after seeing Avatar in 3D 4 times now I am in full support of this technology for my home & will be researching & purchasing once I see the right opportunity. I'm really shocked though at the AVS attitude, I too thought this was a board for early adopter tech freaks but after reading the many 3D threads all I see is hate, ill will, and a resistance to change. Yes your new shiny toy may not be able to run 3D but so what, technology advancements can come slowly & sometimes quickly. Embrace the continued advancements of the industry.
post #111 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmreedjr View Post

I would suggest continuing your research then. 3D will need to take up larges amounts of additional space; up to 50% more according to reports. And despite the cheerleaders saying that compression will handle this its just plain not realistic to think they can squeeze that much more data per disc without reducing picture quality otherwise they would have already been doing it.
post #112 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrad View Post

I'm in the same boat, after seeing Avatar in 3D 4 times now I am in full support of this technology for my home & will be researching & purchasing once I see the right opportunity. I'm really shocked though at the AVS attitude, I too thought this was a board for early adopter tech freaks but after reading the many 3D threads all I see is hate, ill will, and a resistance to change. Yes your new shiny toy may not be able to run 3D but so what, technology advancements can come slowly & sometimes quickly. Embrace the continued advancements of the industry.

Avatar was excellent and I would love to have it in 3d in my HT but how many movies like Avatar would be needed to justify the expense? Certainly a single movie doesnt make it worth buying a new tv, projector, receiver, bd player, glasses, cables etc...
post #113 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT View Post

Avatar was excellent and I would love to have it in 3d in my HT but how many movies like Avatar would be needed to justify the expense? Certainly a single movie doesnt make it worth buying a new tv, projector, receiver, bd player, glasses, cables etc...

A single good movie like Avatar will sell hardware, I already have a PS3 so that covers the BD Player. Most early adopters of technology have enough money to spend on their hobbies such as these, so if they want it they will buy it. I will be spending money.
post #114 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So don't buy it. I don't think the vast majority have crazy setups like you people. Most have what 1 good TV and maybe surround sound? If you have a ps3 you won't need to upgrade a blu-ray player. Maybe you were already in the market for a new/upgraded set?
post #115 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A single good movie like Avatar will sell hardware, I already have a PS3 so that covers the BD Player. Most early adopters of technology have enough money to spend on their hobbies such as these, so if they want it they will buy it. I will be spending money.

I hope to be getting a new TV around the end of this year, plenty of time for sales and reviews to come out. I don't think I could watch Avatar in 2D.
post #116 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have put 40k into my home theater and think I could afford it if I wanted it but plain and simple there isnt enough content to make it worth it!
post #117 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have put 40k into my home theater and think I could afford it if I wanted it but plain and simple there isnt enough content to make it worth it!

Lets be honest, you have an awesome setup as I've looked at it before. At some point this year 3D is going to hit the stores & content is going to come out. You're the same type of guy that I am and will want the latest gadget & the best quality components of the newest technology. I suspect by this time next year you'll have pictures up of your new 3D HT.
post #118 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:

I would suggest continuing your research then. 3D will need to take up larges amounts of additional space; up to 50% more according to reports. And despite the cheerleaders saying that compression will handle this its just plain not realistic to think they can squeeze that much more data per disc without reducing picture quality otherwise they would have already been doing it.

I certainly will continue to do my research. I figure I've got 6 to 8 months before I jump into the new equipment. And you're right, of course, I was only addressing the display technology and didn't address the source material. Sources may be slow in coming, though several networks have stated their intention to launch 3-D material in the 2nd quarter. I've no idea what will become available on BD for the future; but rest assured it will come............and I'll be ready for it.
Remember, HD programming requires much greater data density than SD, and we're rapidly gaining more and more HD sources, the additional data to achieve 3-D programming is an incremental increase over existing HD requirements, not the fourfold increase required in the SD to HD transition. Like Kevin Costner, I'm also a believer...I'll buy/build my 3-D system and it will come. Besides, what's the real additional expense. Any new HDTV I buy will work, I've no problem replacing my Sylvania BD player I picked up in an Amazon Gold-box deal, and I'm open to replacing my old 1.3 spec. receiver with an HDMI 1.4 spec piece. A few hundred bucks for some shutter glasses, and I'm good to go. Hey, can't put all of Avatar on one 30 Gig disc? Heck, an intermission works for me. I saw a lot of people in the theater rushing to the bathrooms when it was over.
I guess that I'm just ready for this and Avatar cemented my resolve. I won't buy blindly, but I will buy enthusiastically.
post #119 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Disliking 3D has nothing to do with being anti-tech. I have spent a fortune as an early adpoter and love to upgrade. But to jump on the 3D bandwagon would cost near 5-10K, its just not worth the expense for a gimmick feature that will only occasionaly be used for a few movies. And its debatable still but most likely all will be at a cost of degrading picture quality....

I have no issue with someone who is indifferent to 3D. It's the dislike, in some cases verging on hatred, that is so hard to understand No-one will be forced to buy anything and 3D can be switched off.
post #120 of 497 Old 01-14-2010, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

Yes and I'm sure there is 90 year old Grandma out there saying the same of Mono because it is better than the old silent movies.

Do you mean 2D and STEREO sucks?
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page