when to buy? When is 3d coming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-08-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to get a projector in the next few months. I was wondering if there is any speculation on when we will start seeing more 3d models. 3d is not a huge deal for me, but I would lime to be future proofed for it. This whole theater project was a tough sell for the wife so if I wanted to upgrade in just a year or two. I was hoping sone stuff would show up at CES but it Dwane look like anything has yet. Is there a certain show or time of year when you typically see projector refreshes? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-08-2010, 02:02 PM

I am wondering the same thing about the timing and would guess it would be late 2010 since most of the major manufacturers just released their newest models late last year. They wouldn't want to cannabilize them that quickly. I am also curious about the cost of them and how much more it will be vs. today's 2-3K projectors. Lastly I would guess you would also need 3d compatible components which makes it a total system upgrade but I could be wrong about that.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-08-2010, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well the ps3 is supposed to be 3d bluray ready. I'm not really concerned about being able to do 3d right away. I just want an upgrade path that won't cost me a whe new projector. A new bluray is a little eaisier of a hit to take if I have to.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What is 3d? Better than DLP?
post #5 of 12 Old 01-08-2010, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

What is 3d? Better than DLP?

No 3d like avatar in the theater. Where you put on the glasses and stuff pops out at you :-)
post #6 of 12 Old 01-08-2010, 05:41 PM

You will probably need a new receiver to support hdmi1.4 too
post #7 of 12 Old 01-08-2010, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildawn10 View Post

You will probably need a new receiver to support hdmi1.4 too

sounds like its up in the air. Some 1.3 devices will be able to handle the extra bandwidth, some will not. Like I said before though, a bluray player or reciever is a smaller upgrade. If I got a non ps3 bluray player I could use analog outs and skip the hdmi on my receiver if I had to. I just want to future proof with new purchases as much as possible.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-11-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Most all new projectors are introduced in the fall, so we wouldn't expect much new until then. There are no 3D capable home theater projectors in 1080p now, so purchasers right now must choose between 3D 720p vs. 2D 1080p. Optoma is way ahead in 3D.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-11-2010, 01:49 PM

Did you take a look at the Optoma HD65 (3D) which is supposed to be out this year?

Looks like HDMI 1.4 spec. is being tweaked for 3D bandwidth as well...
post #10 of 12 Old 01-11-2010, 02:15 PM

I think its teh Optoma HD 66 which is the 3D equipped version. I would defintiely consider (its only 700) however my room won't allow for DLP since the projector will be mounted under a bulkhead and is pretty low therefore I need the LCD lens shift.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-14-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tildawn10 View Post

... I need the LCD lens shift.

3D is harder to implement in LCD, (whereas lens shift is harder to implement in DLP). I don't think there are any 3D capable LCD projectors at all right now, and only maybe will there be any in the fall.

Just when we start thinking we could "have it all" for under $2000 - say with a Panny 4000 - we learn of 3D around the corner and start thinking about trade-offs: Would we rather have higher resolution or 3D? Lens shift or 3D? Certainty or 3D?

Two months ago, if I were buying a new projector it would be the Panny 4000 hands down. Today, I would be tempted to find a way to mount an Optoma H66, if only in the hope and dream of cool 3D games, sports TV, and maybe even movies.

CES just happened, and that is partly why we are hearing a lot about 3D right now. The other show is CEDIA in the fall, and that is when most new projectors are announced and released, especially the LCD ones from Panasonic and Epson.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-03-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 177
None are the current 720p 3D capable DLP projectors are directly compatible with the 3D video sources that are coming out later this year. Rather they are designed for use with PCs for displaying 3D computer based presentation graphics and video games. Thus while they support 3D they are not directly intended for 3D home theater use. The Blu-ray 3D standard was just completed in very late 2009 and as far as I know there is no currently projector that can directly accept a dual 1080p/24 video stream and apply processing to display alternating right/left images at 120 Hz or higher, as included in the new Blu-ray spec. Also for the planned 3D satellite (e.g., Directv) channels, the projector would need to apply processing to accept side-by-side, horizontal compressed images then generate the alternating right-left images at a frame rate of at least 120Hz total. However, these projectors assume the processing is being done by the external source device (e.g., a PC), but this is not a good assumption for 3D video sources since they rely on the 3D HD display doing the required processing. Perhaps, one or more of these projector manufacturers will in the future offer an external processor to do all the necessary 3D video processing magic, but none have announced any plans yet.

So that leaves us with just the LG (1080p - LCoS - dual light engine - polarized glasses - requries silver screen for 3D - rumored to retail for $10K) 3D projector as the only home theater front projector that has been announced (at CES 2010) so far. However, I do believe the most cost effective home theater 3D projectors coming to market over the next year will be DLP based and using LCD shutter glasses. 3D projectors capable to providing a properly calibrated video image must have a lot higher wattage light engine than a 2D projector since the combination of the additional light loss within the projector and by the required glasses (either using the LCD shutter glasses or polarized glasses) will result in an image that is no more than approx. 25% as bright as a 2D image would be from a similar 2D projector. The low cost 3D DLP projectors get their extra lumens of light output (just as many business projectors do) in part by displaying an image with far too high a color temperature which isn't much of an issue for business graphics or games, but would be unacceptable for many home theater enthusiasts. I would expect to see several true home theater oriented 1080p DLP projectors announced by no later than the CEDIA show in Sept. 2010 and arriving at dealers by late 2010/early 2011.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page