Don't get 3D. Wait for 4D! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-15-2010, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just around the corner, about a year after 3D comes out, they will be releasing 4D. This will be 3D, but will incorporate the fourth dimension of Time making it 4D.

Don't waste your money now on 3D when it will be old technology soon. Wait for 4D!!

P.S. Rumor has it that the next step after 4D will be viewing in a parallel universe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-15-2010, 11:26 AM

I'm not even a Trekkie, but I'll be holding on to my 2D screen until they come out with a Holodeck.Then its time for an upgrade.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-15-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1nels View Post

I'm not even a Trekkie, but I'll be holding on to my 2D screen until they come out with a Holodeck.Then its time for an upgrade.

Haw! I don't think you'd be be able to afford even a Ferengie Holosuite (when they come out) let alone a full-fledged Holodeck. Since a holosuite doesn't require a starship.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Holosuite
post #4 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Um, a Viewmaster slide gives us 3D. A 3D movie gives us 4. But I like your point.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-11-2010, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 26
post #6 of 11 Old 03-11-2010, 01:38 PM

Liked: 44
Avatar' in 4D at Korean theaters

Quote:
The smell of explosives, real sprinkling water, wind, motion-activated seats, and 25 other special effects have been added in a Seoul theater for a full 4-dimensional experience of viewing Avatar.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...s-1905267.html
post #7 of 11 Old 03-13-2010, 04:50 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead View Post

Just around the corner, about a year after 3D comes out, they will be releasing 4D. This will be 3D, but will incorporate the fourth dimension of Time making it 4D.

Don't waste your money now on 3D when it will be old technology soon. Wait for 4D!!

P.S. Rumor has it that the next step after 4D will be viewing in a parallel universe.

I'm not sure if this counts, but I seem to remember some shows/stories on laserdisk (maybe DVD) where the viewer was given a choice as to how the hero should proceed. The decision shaped how the story flowed from that point forward.

The advantage was the story changed with different decisions.

The disadvantage was writing such a complicated narrative with multiple storylines.

I hope they come out with more if these.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-13-2010, 04:59 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1nels View Post

I would think they'd perfect Virtual Reality decades before they figure out how to even envision how a holodeck works. If VR can have a storyline in "House" I'd think it isn't far from reality.

Besides, you get to be a cartoon character in VR. On the holodeck you're just you. So I'll get my total immersion VR while you play with Quark.

P.S.: It's Trecker.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-16-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdawg View Post

I would think they'd perfect Virtual Reality decades before they figure out how to even envision how a holodeck works. If VR can have a storyline in "House" I'd think it isn't far from reality.

Besides, you get to be a cartoon character in VR. On the holodeck you're just you. So I'll get my total immersion VR while you play with Quark.

P.S.: It's Trecker.

Meh, Lawnmower Man (the movie) had VR, and that was years and years ago. And we've had stories about FTL travel and time travel for yonks. House is getting dangerously close to Jump the Shark territory, which is probably why I don't watch it much any more.

Actually, I believe the correct term is "Trekker". And I'm sure even that term is somewhat old-school and there is some new-fangled term the fan-base loves to use.

Despite all the good laughs, I'm not sure if this thread has any usefulness in improving the signal-to-noise ratio that AVS strives to maintain, so I won't be surprised if it gets locked/killed...

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-16-2010, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 110
And if 4D isn't enough for you, you can always wait to see if M-theory is proven . . . which I guess offers the 'possibility' of 11D...?!

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #11 of 11 Old 03-16-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I've had the 4th dimension minus the the 3D. Let me explain, back in the 60's in downtown Chicago (Michigan Ave.) there was the Borg Warner Science Hall. For free you could watch a short film and experience the cold of Canada and the heat from the Equator. If flowers were on the screen you could smell them. Any Chicago folks remember that place?
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page