3-D eye strain/headache concern (medical article) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-26-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Location: In one of Seattle's most difficult areas for OTA reception
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A very interesting article comparing 3-D in a movie theater situ VS a screen a few feet away from a viewer and how the brain interprets what the eyes see. (Thanks to HighDefJeff (WOW VISION) for sharing the link with me)
Jim

http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.j...762&cid=NL_eet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-26-2010, 06:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Oh my gosh!! Headaches and eye strain!!!

I wonder if the authors have ever downed a couple bottles of wine one one night?? Talk about headaches and liver toxicity!!

What a bunch of whiners... I can see the trial lawyers getting ready for a barrage of lawsuits!!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #3 of 15 Old 02-26-2010, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Seattle View Post

A very interesting article comparing 3-D in a movie theater situ VS a screen a few feet away from a viewer and how the brain interprets what the eyes see. (Thanks to HighDefJeff (WOW VISION) for sharing the link with me)
Jim

http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.j...762&cid=NL_eet

This article was in a link on the other "3D and eye strain" thread.
post #4 of 15 Old 02-27-2010, 07:29 AM

I watched AVATAR in 3-D........and after about 30 minutes had a splitting headache and felt woozy headed!!

Maybe Im the only one that felt like this,but if lets say 10 to 15% of people who buy a 3-D tv have the symtoms....that will create problems for the industry!!!!
post #5 of 15 Old 02-27-2010, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I wonder if this will be as bad as the DLP 'Rainbow effect' that drives people away from DLP to LCD projectors?

Obsession in moderation
post #6 of 15 Old 02-28-2010, 07:22 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire View Post

I watched AVATAR in 3-D........and after about 30 minutes had a splitting headache and felt woozy headed!!

Maybe Im the only one that felt like this,but if lets say 10 to 15% of people who buy a 3-D tv have the symtoms....that will create problems for the industry!!!!

actually I know of a few people at work that came out suffering from a head ache after seeing it in 3D. It's not for everyone.

Frank

post #7 of 15 Old 02-28-2010, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Those techniques typically create a sensation of depth behind the screen, not in front of it, said Chinnock and others. Thus they may create visible artifacts users may find crude but not contribute as dramatically to the convergence-accommodation conflict as effects that create depth in front of the screen.

The 3D TVs should have a user control to change the horizontal divergence of the left and right images, so people could push the images behind the screen if they start to get a headache.

Greg Lee
post #8 of 15 Old 03-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
With my 3D Vision rig I find some games in 3D actually relieves eyestrain. Racing games in particular where your virtual environment is a lot deeper. Now my eyes are converging on objects hundreds of yards away not 2 feet away and cross-eyed.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-03-2010, 04:53 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

The 3D TVs should have a user control to change the horizontal divergence of the left and right images, so people could push the images behind the screen if they start to get a headache.

This could potentially be done for games, but not for movies. The 3D environment for games is created on the fly and therefore the eye distance can be adjusted. 3D movies, however, will be mastered on Blu-ray using two discrete views that cannot be altered in point-of-view.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-03-2010, 05:02 PM

I have a feeling one gets accustomed to 3d after the eyes adjust over a few veiwings...then people will start complaining about the runs once their vision has adjusted
post #11 of 15 Old 03-03-2010, 05:24 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokeySmoke View Post

This could potentially be done for games, but not for movies. The 3D environment for games is created on the fly and therefore the eye distance can be adjusted. 3D movies, however, will be mastered on Blu-ray using two discrete views that cannot be altered in point-of-view.

Technicolor Aims to be Leader in 3D HDTV Technology

Quote:

Among the more interesting Technicolor 3D technologies displayed was one that will allow 3D HDTV owners to control the left- and right-eye depth of their 3D images. In addition to controls for volume, brightness and contrast, consumers could some day have a depth option as well

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/rep...chnology-18572
post #12 of 15 Old 03-03-2010, 07:33 PM

The key here is "some day". It's not going to happen in the near future and may require a different way of encoding the content in the first place. The reason the two-view encoding was chosen is that it's the most compression friendly right now. Someday, maybe 2D plus depth could be encoded, then it would be easy to turn the depth up and down.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-03-2010, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

The key here is "some day". It's not going to happen in the near future and may require a different way of encoding the content in the first place. The reason the two-view encoding was chosen is that it's the most compression friendly right now. Someday, maybe 2D plus depth could be encoded, then it would be easy to turn the depth up and down.

I don't understand what you think the problem is. There are two arrays of pixels, one for each eye, displayed sequentially, and all that has to be done to alter the reference screen depth is displace one of those arrays to the right or left before display. There's no need to know the depth of the objects and recalculate the left and right views.

Greg Lee
post #14 of 15 Old 03-03-2010, 08:12 PM

You have a point, Greg, but all you would be doing is changing the zero point. The depth won't change. The entire scene will be moved forward or backward.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-03-2010, 08:35 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:

There is a YouTube video floating around (UK origin) showing a demo of one of the new Samsung 3DTVs which can do 2D to 3D conversion on the fly and they show an adjustable depth control.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page