Technicolor "on the Cheap" 3D Theater System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-04-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Technicolor has announced a deal to install their analog (film based) 3D system for 25 screens.

This is an interesting method where the L/R images are compressed vertically and printed on the film in an over/under fashion (sort of like the TV over/under scheme). A special split lens stretches the images vertically (sort of a rotated cinescope). Circular polarization is required. Theaters only have to spend $4,000 to $6,000 to install a silver screen and pay Technicolor $1,000 license fee (max of $12,000 per year).

This is viewed as a quick and cheap solution to insufficient 3D screens in the country.

Dave Hancock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-04-2010, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
First single strip 3D process using anamorphics was STEREOVISION:

Quote:
Stereovision: a 35 mm single-strip format created in 1970 that printed two images squeezed side-by-side and used an anamorphic lens to widen the pictures through polaroid filters.

http://hollywoodinhidef.com/video-gallery/

First movie shown in this process - the infamous "The Stewardesses"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stewardesses
post #3 of 6 Old 03-04-2010, 06:30 PM

Hmmm . . . did Technicolor buy out Oculus3d? Or is it a joint venture? Or are they competitors?

Oculus3dâ„¢ Announces 3D Projection Solution for Existing 35 Millimeter Film Projectors

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1218843
post #4 of 6 Old 03-04-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Hmmm . . . did Technicolor buy out Oculus3d? Or is it a joint venture? Or are they competitors?

Oculus3d Announces 3D Projection Solution for Existing 35 Millimeter Film Projectors

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1218843

Competitors.

Dave Hancock
post #5 of 6 Old 03-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Single strip 3-D/polarized light combination was used well before 1970; in fact, a few of the films in the 1950's wave were offered in various single strip methods, though few theaters bothered. The ship had sailed by that point.

Over/Under 35mm process was used in THE BUBBLE in 1966, which I believe was the first feature to get released in that format. This was more widely seen a decade later when it was re-issued as FANTASTIC INVASION OF PLANET EARTH. The over/under process was the method in which most 3-D movies were released in the 70's and 80's; though as Lee pointed out, a few were also screened in a side by side single strip format, most notably re-issues of HOUSE OF WAX and DIAL M FOR MURDER.

I can't say I'm too impressed with the idea of reviving over/under unless its tremendously improved; as the image was usually pretty grainy and dim. With careful attention it can look OK, but it usually didn't. Cameron's GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS had a few over/under 35mm playdates in 2003; and the screening I attented had the worst 3-D projection I've ever seen.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-05-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

Single strip 3-D/polarized light combination was used well before 1970; in fact, a few of the films in the 1950's wave were offered in various single strip methods, though few theaters bothered. The ship had sailed by that point.

Over/Under 35mm process was used in THE BUBBLE in 1966, which I believe was the first feature to get released in that format. This was more widely seen a decade later when it was re-issued as FANTASTIC INVASION OF PLANET EARTH. The over/under process was the method in which most 3-D movies were released in the 70's and 80's; though as Lee pointed out, a few were also screened in a side by side single strip format, most notably re-issues of HOUSE OF WAX and DIAL M FOR MURDER.

I can't say I'm too impressed with the idea of reviving over/under unless its tremendously improved; as the image was usually pretty grainy and dim. With careful attention it can look OK, but it usually didn't. Cameron's GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS had a few over/under 35mm playdates in 2003; and the screening I attented had the worst 3-D projection I've ever seen.

I edited my post. Yep - Space Vision 3D was first:

Revival (1960-1979) in single strip format

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_film
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page