Tosihiba SK-3D7K 3D camcorder revisited - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-06-2010, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I have an almost new in the box 3D Camcorder that was manufactured in limited quantities by Toshiba (500 to 1500 units total) in the early 90's. Pending Panasonic's promised 3D camcorder coming out this Fall this was the only such "mass produced" 3D camcorder. Check the link for specs and details on the Toshiba. Suffice it to say it films 3D in a field sequential format and was designed for viewing on a regular TV using NTSC 60 Hz video. Although the tape for the unit is the VHSc, importantly "The analog video can be output directly to another deck, such as a mini-dvd via the composite video out cable. "

Is there any chance this unit could be used to create 3D video that would be viewable in 3D on the new 3D TVs coming out this year from Panasonic, Samsung, Sony or Vizio? Curious whether the analog video could be captured in digital format, say onto a SD card, and then inserted into the SD card slot that will be standard on the new Panasonic 3D TVs? Anyway, here is the link.

http://pubpages.unh.edu/~wfc/Toshiba/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-07-2010, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I believe this could only be made compatible with the new 3D standard if someone would come out with a video editing software package that would use a PC's video capture card (to convert the analog from the camcorder to digital format) then apply all of the processing necessary to convert it to one of the allowed digital 3D formats that is defined by the HDMI 1.4a spec. While standard video capture cards should work OK, there were so few of these 3D camcorders manufactured (and who knows how many are still actually in use) I don't expect that any commercial software vendor would see any market to justify the cost of developing the necssary software to do this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 3 Old 03-21-2010, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I believe this could only be made compatible with the new 3D standard if someone would come out with a video editing software package that would use a PC's video capture card (to convert the analog from the camcorder to digital format) then apply all of the processing necessary to convert it to one of the allowed digital 3D formats that is defined by the HDMI 1.4a spec. While standard video capture cards should work OK, there were so few of these 3D camcorders manufactured (and who knows how many are still actually in use) I don't expect that any commercial software vendor would see any market to justify the cost of developing the necssary software to do this.

Does the announcement by NVIDIA regarding their release of NVIDIA 3DTV Play software offer me a ray of hope?

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...=744&Itemid=47
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page