3D Projectors: Are LCoS and DLP comparable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-14-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The trend in 3D seems to favor time-sequential instead of polarized solutions. For flat panel displays, time sequential solutions with active glasses such as the upcoming XpanD X130's looks like it is ready to roll. For front projectors, there has been a lot of news about time sequential DLP solutions. I haven't heard anything about LCos front projectors and time sequential 3D, but at the moment LCoS (JVC and Sony) offers some very high performance front projectors, so that begs the question: Is there anything intrinsic to three-chip LCoS projectors that in any way complicates time sequential 3D compared to their DLP equivalents? My JVC RS15 takes 1080P 24 film material and displays each frame five times at 120 Hz. What would prevent such a projector from displaying 3D material at 60 Hz per eye?.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-14-2010, 01:41 PM

Liked: 44
You can look up the LG CF3D - it's a dual engine LCOS polarized FPTV
post #3 of 4 Old 03-14-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 177
With LCoS, and LCD for that matter, its really not clear if the current technology can be made to give excellent results when using a single light engine and projecting sequential right/left images. Even the Samsung LCD flat panel 3D TVs not showing up in retail stores (Samsung) at the Sony 3D demo using their LCD TV at SonyStyle. have issues with crosstalk between the two image streams caused by image latency (i.e., the inability to fully switch the pixel between the two required values fast enough). The LCoS and LCD display chips used in projectors may (probably?) also have this same limitation with the current generation of devices. That may be why LG went with dual light engnes for their projector thus allowing each LCoS display chip to only be displaying a single image stream (i.e., not having to switch frame-to-frame between image streams). DLP doesn't have this issue and it can certainly be used for sequential 3D projection. However, LG is the only company yet to annouce a 1080p home theater 3D projector but we certainly expect to see the first DLP models announced no later than the CEDIA show in September (note the existing DLP 720p 3D projectors are intended for connection to a PC as the 3D source and do not work with the standard Blu-ray 3D, or planned satellite and cable 3D sources).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #4 of 4 Old 03-16-2010, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Thanks. I had been aware of the LG projector, but its approach of basically stuffing two projectors in one case seemed like expensive overkill IF time sequential solutions will work for LCoS. Samsung and Sony seem sufficiently convinced that it will work for flat panel LCD to put a major marketing push behind it, although there may as you say be latency issues. I haven't heard anything on upcoming 3D approaches from the LCoS projector vendors (JVC and Sony), although JVC has certainly been working on 3D for a number of years. If LED or better yet laser panel illumination catches on, perhaps its rapid modulation capability would help LCoS to pull off 3D. Time will tell.

Kevin
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page