Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
MY TWO CENTS - 3/16/10 - by Digital Bits editor Bill Hunt

Quote:
Call it the worst kept secret on the planet... but here you go: 20th Century Fox is about to officially announce the DVD and Blu-ray release of James Cameron's Avatar on 4/22. Yes, that's a Thursday, but it's Earth Day, which is the point. Don't expect any extras, however, because you won't get any - just a menu. According to The L.A. Times late yesterday, that's being done to maximize the video and audio quality by devoting all the available disc space to it. Here's the thing though: The studio obviously already knows its going to be double-dipping on the title later this year with a more elaborate multi-disc special edition (due in November according to the Times piece)... which shouldn't come as any surprise to you. But neither this round, nor the November version, will be 3D. That'll likely come in a third dip a year or two from now. You see, in order to sell more than a few dozen copies in 3D, Fox needs the market for 3D on Blu-ray (meaning capable players and displays) to... well, frankly EXIST... first. So for now, it's movie-only versions on Earth Day, more elaborate versions in November and no 3D this year.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Also I read an interview with Cameron that there was over 10 minutes of cut footage (not counting the sex scene) that was going to be edited back in and he/Fox would re-release Avatar uncut 3D around X-mas. He stated that because of the limited number of 3D screens that Avatar got pushed out a little early with the 3D release of AiWL. So in all likely hood it will be about a year before we get it on BD in 3D.
post #3 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Nasty blow there to 3D adoption.
post #4 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Seems to go hand and hand with the suspecterd re-release this summer of the film with the added footage in theaters.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #5 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Seems to go hand and hand with the suspecterd re-release this summer of the film with the added footage in theaters.

Art

Just what this movie needs, extended footage. I already sat through 2.5 hours of a crappy story, now we need more... LOL...

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #6 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This will singlehandedly cut 3D adoption down to a sliver of what it otherwise could be. What a moronic move on Fox's part. At this very moment, manufacturer's are rolling out their 3D dog and pony shows at a time when consumer curiosity is most likely at it's peak thanks to a little Jim Cameron film that has grossed 2.6 Billion dollars. Customers are going to say, "so let me get this straight: I can buy a 3D HDTV and blu-ray player today, but I can't watch Avatar at home for 1-2 years?", and pass up the whole thing. And what's this ******** about not wanting to release the 3D version until there's a market for it? Making the 3D version available is what will create the market. Not to mention, 3D Blu-Ray discs are backwards-compatible with 2D players, so there's no reason the version on sale this year can't also happen to be 3D, whether people can play it that way yet or not.

This is one of the most blatant bold-faced lies a studio rep has ever told; they don't have to wait for a market to exist before releasing something that's backward compatible. They should just be honest and say they want everyone to buy three copies of Avatar, because $3B off a single movie just isn't enough profit to go around.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #7 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

This is one of the most blatant bold-faced lies a studio rep has ever told; they don't have to wait for a market to exist before releasing something that's backward compatible. They should just be honest and say they want everyone to buy three copies of Avatar, because $3B off a single movie just isn't enough profit to go around.

No . . . . THIS is one of the most blatant lies told by a studio:

Quote:
Apparently Cameron spoke out of turn. A subsequent update from Fox Home Entertainment denied his release date statement, saying "3D is in the conceptual stage and 'Avatar' will not be out on 3D Blu-ray in November."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10456437-1.html

Quote:
Twentieth Century Fox have announced that their first 3D Blu-ray title will be the animated feature, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, and it will be available from April. According to the Wall Street Journal

http://www.blurayfreak.com/2010/03/g...-for-free.html

post #8 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 10:38 AM

Liked: 10
Totally lame.
post #9 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

No . . . . THIS is one of the most blatant lies told by a studio:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10456437-1.html

http://www.blurayfreak.com/2010/03/g...-for-free.html

Hahaha, nice find. While it's pathetic that the April release isn't 3D, there's absolutely no excuse for the "Ultimate Version" November release to not be 3D; with any luck the Fox Home Entertainment Corporate shill simply doesn't know what they're talking about, or is intentionally lying to help boost sales of the April 22nd edition.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #10 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

FOX's attitude about waiting for 3DTV's to populate is misinformed. There are approx 4 million 3D ready DLP RPTV's in the wild from Mits and Sammy. Mits will release it's 3DC-1000 3D converter box late spring this year for a rumored price of $100. Sony is selling a 3D ready 3D BD player for $200 MSRP and will release the 3D upgrade early summer.

All FOX seems to be concentrating on are new 3DTVs from companies like Panasonic and Samsung which is not a correct accounting of how many potential sales they could make selling a 3D BD of Avatar say in Q4.
post #11 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I'm guessing the strategy behind this move, is to try to force Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, Mitsubishi and Toshiba to pony up a large fee to get them to release the 3D Blu-ray this year. Those companies would be absolutely foolish not to consider creating a pool of capital between them, to negotiate an earlier release for this movie. Fox is likely trying to squeeze as much $$$ out of the negotiations as possible. They know how important a home version of Avatar in "true" 3D would be.

At the very least, the companies need to at pony up some $$$ for 10 minutes of demo footage, of the real movie, for use in in-store demonstrations of the new 3Dtv's and 3D BD players.
post #12 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I'm guessing the strategy behind this move, is to try to force Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, Mitsubishi and Toshiba to pony up a large fee to get them to release the 3D Blu-ray this year. Those companies would be absolutely foolish not to consider creating a pool of capital between them, to negotiate an earlier release for this movie. Fox is likely trying to squeeze as much $$$ out of the negotiations as possible. They know how important a home version of Avatar in "true" 3D would be.

At the very least, the companies need to at pony up some $$$ for 10 minutes of demo footage, of the real movie, for use in in-store demonstrations of the new 3Dtv's and 3D BD players.

It would probably be just Panasonic, who was part of Avatar's production. They are also involved in the DirecTV 3D channels
post #13 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Maybe FOX will release a 3D version of FernGully: The Last Rainforest, instead, and no one will notice...?!

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #14 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

Maybe FOX will release a 3D version of FernGully: The Last Rainforest, instead, and no one will notice...?!

Fail.
post #15 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

20th Century Fox, isn't that one of Rupert Murcoch's peoperties? That would be EXACTLY the kind of move that he would do.

Bulls-eye Anthony.

Dave Hancock
post #16 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

From Blu-ray.com:

Samsung and Panasonic Fighting over Avatar 3D Blu-ray Bundle
Posted March 11, 2010 05:38 PM by Juan Calonge

According to Australian tech site SmartHouse, Samsung and Panasonic may be fighting over the rights to bundle a 3D version of James Cameron's Avatar with the 3D-compatible HDTVs from their respective brands in the second half of 2010. Initially, Panasonic was the clear favorite. However, now Samsung is reportedly offering "serious money" in a bid for the rights to bundle the sci-fi blockbuster.

Avatar producer Jon Landau had spoken at the Panasonic press conferences at the IFA and CES fairs, and clips from the movie had been used by the Japanese CE maker to showcase its 3D tech. Panasonic had also helped in the production of Avatar.

However, Samsung scored a publicity coup Wednesday when Cameron attended the Korean corporation's 3D launch event in New York. The filmmaker took the stage after a brief concert by the Black Eyed Peas, which was filmed with 3D cameras and that footage (along with the rest of the band's tour) will be available in 3D Blu-ray... exclusively for Samsung customers. Cameron noted that the concert had been filmed with the same cameras he'd used for Avatar and added that Samsung had been "such a visionary leader in getting to market first with these sets."

It is our obligation to remind everyone that, despite all of the above, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment still hasn't publicly changed its official stance that "3D is in the conceptual stage and Avatar will not be out on 3D Blu-ray in November."

Link: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4280

"With the advent of high-definition television, home viewers will see actors with extreme clarity and detail. Thus they will demand the stars of "Sex and the City" change their names to "The Golden Girls." -Conan O'Brien, In The Year 2000: Ted Danson Edition-
post #17 of 44 Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

post #18 of 44 Old 03-17-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

The studio will want the 3D Avatar BD to make a big splash. I think they deserve it - Avatar is groundbreaking 3D. So, they really do need to wait for a big enough market to make a splash when they toss in that floating mountain.
post #19 of 44 Old 03-17-2010, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmaster10.2 View Post

It is our obligation to remind everyone that, despite all of the above, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment still hasn't publicly changed its official stance that "3D is in the conceptual stage and Avatar will not be out on 3D Blu-ray in November." [/i]

If Samsung, Panasonic or anybody else throws enough $$ in their face, then they will work out an exclusive deal. It's possible that it could end up being exclusive to one of them for the holidays, and maybe early next year, but you'd have to imagine that by Spring 2011, it will be available separately. I'm totally convinced that one of these TV companies is going to step up to the plate and work out a deal to somehow, get Avatar out there this Xmas. They could be so bold as to only offer it in a 3D BD player/ 3Dtv bundle. Man, imagine needing to buy a freaking TV and a BD player just to get your hands on it. It will go for $400 ish on Ebay seperately, if it was really exclusive to that degree. I seriously think some Avatard would fork over as much as $400 ish to get that BD without needing to buy a TV and player. (Likely a PS3 owner that would just use the free firmware update to play it, along with his Mits adapter and his Samsung legacy DLP)
post #20 of 44 Old 03-17-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well - at least we know what we would be getting when Fox gets around to releasing Avatar on 3D BD:

From Bill Hunt:

Quote:

Also today, we've checked with the studio and have learned that James Cameron's Avatar will be presented on Blu-ray in the 1.78:1 aspect ratio, with DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio. Run time is 162 minutes, which appears to be the theatrical cut. Now, before anyone gets their panties in a bunch that it's 1.78 and not 2.35... our information is that the 1.78 ratio is the preference of Cameron. In his mind, the IMAX presentation is the preferred theatrical ratio - not the 2.35 ratio seen in traditional theatres. By using 1.78, all of that original IMAX presentation image area can be presented. So essentially, you're not losing anything in the image by having it 1.78 vs. 2.35... you're actually gaining more image. So that's the deal. The DVD and Blu-ray are NOW AVAILABLE for pre-order on Amazon.com.

post #21 of 44 Old 03-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
what to do, what to do....I don't know if I want to see it in 2D, that would be like going back to DVD from HD. I guess if they are going to bundle it(3D version) with a nice large 3D plasma, that will give me a little more incentive to save my pennies LOL

thread closed
post #22 of 44 Old 03-23-2010, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Cameron Says ‘Avatar’ DVD, Blu-ray Will Not Have ‘Crap’

Quote:

“We wanted the best presentation of any film in the history of the Blu-ray and DVD formats,” said Avatar producer Jon Landau. “Our launch into the home in April will allow fans to return to Pandora again and again.”

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/pro...ave-crap-18842
post #23 of 44 Old 03-23-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

^^^^^

No further news about the 3D BD version.

I wonder . . .

Is it possible that they are waiting for the new 66GB dual layer BD to be accepted by the BDA. It is a long film and you do lose 40 to 50% of the space for 3D. Just a thought
post #24 of 44 Old 03-24-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Fox will follow the April 22 release with a more expansive set in November and a 3D version next year.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62N0E020100324
post #25 of 44 Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

So much for the theory that this 3D TV launch was coordinated with Avatar's success at the movies. Personally, I feel the 3D TV train was coming whether Avatar was a big hit or bombed. However, since it was a huge success they have missed a golden opportunity to at least make it look like it was a coordinated effort. Of course it would have been perfect to launch 3D TV with Avatar in 3D on Blu-ray, but evidently that's not going to happen now. Now, it can be screwed up royally by the general public seeing the Blu-ray converted to 3D on some Samsung displays and be totally turned off by the experience. You just know that some Best Buy employees will put Avatar on demo TVs and most of the general public won't know the difference and just think that the new 3D on TV sucks. Fox and Cameron and whoever makes the decision need to rethink this.
post #26 of 44 Old 03-25-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Right, according to Fox no 3D Avatar in 2010, and no Avatar Blu-ray in April -- ohh wait.

So Cameron announces plans and Fox denies them again. What else do you expect Fox to do? Admit in advanced that they are triple dipping? Call me crazy but I believe Cameron before Fox.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
post #27 of 44 Old 03-25-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

Right, according to Fox no 3D Avatar in 2010, and no Avatar Blu-ray in April -- ohh wait.

So Cameron announces plans and Fox denies them again. What else do you expect Fox to do? Admit in advanced that they are triple dipping? Call me crazy but I believe Cameron before Fox.

They let the cat out of the bag on the 2nd release in November. If they were going to release a 3D version in November, what would be the big deal not to say something? There are so few people with 3DTVs compared to HDTVs and SDTVs would it really affect sales?
post #28 of 44 Old 03-25-2010, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Why won’t we see the 3-D Blu-ray right away?

Quote:
Cameron: There just aren’t that many players and screens yet. We have more of a long-term strategy, in that area. But, I think it would be a shame to hold back the Blu-ray when people want it now, and I love it. I think it’s a great format. I would recommend that, if people are thinking of buying a Blu-ray player around this time, make sure you get one that’s 3-D compatible because you’re going to want it.

There’s no significant cost difference to buy one that’s 3-D enabled, at least in some of the sets. The Panasonic set that uses the passive glasses, or Real D glasses essentially, has a little bit more of an up charge because of the cost of putting this polarizing film on the surface of the screen. But, the other sets that use the active glasses have no significant additional cost in manufacturing because it’s really just in the chip set that drives the image. I don’t know exactly what all the price points are. I think most of them are up in the $1,500 to $2,500 range, just in size. If you’re going to go 3-D, go big. Get the biggest set you can, and then sit as close as you can stand. That’s my advice. Get the coffee table out of the way and slide the couch over, right in front of the TV.

http://www.collider.com/2010/03/24/j...-and-avatar-2/
post #29 of 44 Old 03-26-2010, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Does it seem like Cameron is a little bit confused about the 3D TVs? He says he wants to put out the Blu-ray of Avatar because "people want it now", yet he's held back the HD version of The Abyss for years. He should be embarrassed when HBO occasionally runs The Abyss in standard def. I know it's supposed to be released on Blu-ray later this year, but it's taken way too long. In a couple of years he'll probably release a converted 3D version of it.
post #30 of 44 Old 03-26-2010, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire407 View Post

Does it seem like Cameron is a little bit confused about the 3D TVs? He says he wants to put out the Blu-ray of Avatar because "people want it now", yet he's held back the HD version of The Abyss for years. He should be embarrassed when HBO occasionally runs The Abyss in standard def. I know it's supposed to be released on Blu-ray later this year, but it's taken way too long. In a couple of years he'll probably release a converted 3D version of it.

No - he used a Panasonic Pro 3DTV:

Panasonic BT-3DL2550

http://www.3d-display-info.com/panasonic-bt-3dl2550
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page