LED DLP Questions - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 03-16-2010, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung LED DLP TV (HL-T5089S w/ hdmi 1.3) and had a few questions about the required 3d equipment:

1. What do I need to purchase to view 3d?
2. Will I be able to view comcast's 3d broadcasts or do I need a new 3d tv?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-18-2010, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

You will need the Mits 3DC-1000 3D converter box which will be released late spring. That will convert 3D from BD, SAT and CBL to the 3D format your DLP uses which is Checkerboard. It is rumored to sell for $100 when it arrives.

Do we KNOW (have evidence) that the Mits 3DC-1000 3D converter box will work with the "Samsung 3D Ready" sets? There could be issues other than simply converting the 1.4/1.4a formats to Checkerboard.

Dave Hancock
post #3 of 20 Old 03-18-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

Do we KNOW (have evidence) that the Mits 3DC-1000 3D converter box will work with the "Samsung 3D Ready" sets? There could be issues other than simply converting the 1.4/1.4a formats to Checkerboard.

http://hdguru.com/legacy-samsung-3d-...-directv/1386/

Spare me the BS on the internet posting will you.
post #4 of 20 Old 03-18-2010, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Spare me the BS on the internet posting will you.

In other words, we have conjecture
Quote:

...according to an industry source

who is unnamed!

So we don't yet KNOW that it will work!

Look, if they quoted the Mitsubishi rep as saying something like"We've tested this adapter with several "3D ready" Samsung sets, and found that it worked." That would be a reasonable statement - but they didn't.

Dave Hancock
post #5 of 20 Old 03-18-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:

In other words, we have conjecture who is unnamed!

Look, if they quoted the Mitsubishi rep as saying something like"We've tested this adapter with several "3D ready" Samsung sets, and found that it worked." That would be a reasonable statement - but they didn't.

Is the technology different between the two manufacturers? Aren't they both using DLP chips? Aren't ALL DLP chips made by TI?

http://dlp.com/downloads/DLP%203D%20...Technology.pdf

Why would it work on a Mits and not on a Samsung?
post #6 of 20 Old 03-18-2010, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Is the technology different between the two manufacturers? Aren't they both using DLP chips? Aren't ALL DLP chips made by TI?

http://dlp.com/downloads/DLP%203D%20...Technology.pdf

Why would it work on a Mits and not on a Samsung?

Exactly, they use identical TI chips, not only for DLP, but for 3D. If it works on the Mits, it'll work on the Samsung. The only way it wouldn't work is if was designed not to, like not sending a the signal if the EDID didn't report a Mits display. But seriously, Mits wants to sell as many of these converters as possible, so that would be stupid.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #7 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

In other words, we have conjecture who is unnamed!

Gary Merson, the HDTV Guru, is a well known authoritative source on HDTV technology. If he says it works, it works.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #8 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Gary Merson, the HDTV Guru, is a well known authoritative source on HDTV technology. If he says it works, it works.

That article was not signed (in other words not necessarily written by Gary).

Oh such blind faith in anything posted on the internet!

IF, there was an article that said that it had ACTUALLY BEEN TESTED and WORKED it would be one thing. But it DIDN'T. It only repeated a statement by some unnamed "industry source".

It is always helpful to seperate FACT from HERESAY.

Dave Hancock
post #9 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:

IF, there was an article that said that it had ACTUALLY BEEN TESTED and WORKED it would be one thing. But it DIDN'T. It only repeated a statement by some unnamed "industry source".

In the first paragraph, he does say; "industry source."

But in the second paragraph, he says; "Mits spokesman."

And again - the tech is the same for DLP RPTVs by either Mits or Samusung - TI said that in my posted PDF on their 3D system (post #6)
post #10 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Apparently two DIFFERENT people. One is reported to make a statement about compatibility of the Mits box with Samsung. The other (Mits rep) talked about input formats to the adapter.

Dave Hancock
post #11 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Apparently two DIFFERENT people. One is reported to make a statement about compatibility of the Mits box with Samsung. The other (Mits rep) talked about input formats to the adapter.

It makes no difference - TI said both in their PDF. You are choosing to ignore that as you didn't address it in your post. You convinently left it out of your response.

It would be like saying we don't know if the Panasonic DMP-BDT300 player will work on the up and coming Samsung 3D PDPs because it actually hasn't been tested yet.
post #12 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
As best I can remember then the Mits and Sasmsung DLP RPTVs with 120 Hz 3D support thesame reccomened PC application to send the required Checkerboard content to them it is not configured separatly for a Mits box then it is for a Samsung box. Therfore if the Mits adapter can accept differnt "3D" input formats and convert them to the checkerboard format required for their own 3D capable DLP RPTVs then it will also work for the Samsung 3D capable DLP RPTVs. And I suspect that when it is available testing will confirm this,
post #13 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Exactly, they use identical TI chips, not only for DLP, but for 3D. If it works on the Mits, it'll work on the Samsung. The only way it wouldn't work is if was designed not to, like not sending a the signal if the EDID didn't report a Mits display. But seriously, Mits wants to sell as many of these converters as possible, so that would be stupid.

taz, it MAY make perfect sense that this would work for exactly the reasons that you say. Perhaps that is exactly why this CONJECTURE is going on. May "issue" here is saying that something WILL work, when what should be said is something SHOULD work. There is a difference!

There is a lot of propriatory circuitry beetween the set's HDMI inputs and those DLP chips. There is opportunity in that circuitry for the Mits "solution" not to work in the Samsung environment.

I actually look forward to someone like you getting one of these and confirming (or disproving) the conjecture.

Dave Hancock
post #14 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by davehancock
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Stewart

It makes no difference - TI said both in their PDF. You are choosing to ignore that as you didn't address it in your post. You convinently left it out of your response.

I was responding to what you said that implied that those two statements (one about compatibility and another about input formats).

I did not include your reference to the TI PDF because it was not relavent to the HDGuru link. And it was that article that you were talking about.

HOWEVER, Note that the TI PDF is a bit dated (about 3 years old) and does not address in any way whether the Mits adapter will work with the Samsung "3D ready" display. The process of delivering 3D to "3D ready" sets at that time required the use of a PC! EDIT: It apparently still does:

Quote:

It would be like saying we don't know if the Panasonic DMP-BDT300 player will work on the up and coming Samsung 3D PDPs because it actually hasn't been tested yet.

No it isn't! There are industry standards (HDMI V1.4a) that apply to the current 3D displays & 3D players.

Dave Hancock
post #15 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:

I was responding to what you said that implied that those two statements (one about compatibility and another about input formats).

I did not include your reference to the TI PDF because it was not relavent to the HDGuru link. And it was that article that you were talking about.

HOWEVER, Note that the TI PDF is a bit dated (about 3 years old) and does not address in any way whether the Mits adapter will work with the Samsung "3D ready" display. The process of delivering 3D to "3D ready" sets at that time required the use of a PC!

No it isn't! There are industry standards (HDMI V1.4a) that apply to the current 3D displays & 3D players.

1. He saw the 3DC-1000 in operation at CES

2. The "Mits spokesperson" said that the 3DC-1000 will work with other 3D formats/resolutions and SPECIFICALLY mentions DirecTV

3. That PDF is good today as it was when it was issued because the tech hasn't changed. It covers the DLP RPTVs that were made at the time that were considered 3D Ready. As a matter of fact, Samsung no longer makes DLP RPTV's. The only thing that changed in DLP RPTV's was the light source - from Bulb to LED Module to Laser Module. Still the same DLP chip.

I really don't understand your position on this. Facts are overpowering your speculation.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
AFAIK the Mits adapter will accept multiple 3D input formats such as FHD3D dual frame buffer from a FHD 3D blu-ray player, or the dual the side-by side 720p format that will be used in the cable and satellite 3D systems, and others that are included in the HDMI 1.4 spec, However, I beleive that the only output format supported is the checkerboard format used by the MITs and Samsung DLP RPTVs which was origionaly only avaliable from a PC playing non FHD3d compatible 3D DVD or BR disks.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I actually look forward to someone like you getting one of these and confirming (or disproving) the conjecture.

As soon as it goes on sale, I'll be purchasing one.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #18 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've worked with 3D technology since 1994, in the professional advanced visualization field. My initial research aligns with what Gary Merson says. I have never known Gary to be off base in his articles, comments, or any of the info found on his web site.

post #19 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

I've worked with 3D technology since 1994, in the professional advanced visualization field. My initial research aligns with what Gary Merson says. I have never known Gary to be off base in his articles, comments, or any of the info found on his web site.

I did not maintain that Gary (or whoever wrote that article) was off base. My point was, and is, that the article reported that some unnamed industry person made that statement. That does not make it a FACT that it will work! (frankly I think that it likely will)

As I keep saying, there is a difference between stating that it WILL work and that it SHOULD work.

Dave Hancock
post #20 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I did not maintain that Gary (or whoever wrote that article) was off base.

Your first reply said:

Quote:

There could be issues other than simply converting the 1.4/1.4a formats to Checkerboard.

That sounds like it's questioning the info on Merson's web site to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page