Popular Myths About 3D - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 200 Old 03-28-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm waiting on the day when "3D Is A Fad" is proved to be a myth for the current incarnation of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 200 Old 03-29-2010, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I'm waiting on the day when "3D Is A Fad" is proved to be a myth for the current incarnation of it.

LOL! Me too.

And also the myth that people won't buy into 3D because you have to wear glasses in your own home.
post #33 of 200 Old 03-29-2010, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Myth #13 added.

I have reached my maximum limit for Hyperlinks.
post #34 of 200 Old 03-31-2010, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Myth #14 added
post #35 of 200 Old 04-07-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Myth #15 added
post #36 of 200 Old 04-07-2010, 02:21 PM

Liked: 10
Good thread with lots of useful information..... Going a bit OT: I hope Hollywood will show their customers some respect and tred carefully with 3D. So far they have not. It seems the huge (and well deserved) success of AVATAR 3D has prompted Hollywood to re-evaluate every upcoming picture to see if a post production 3D make over might bring more ticket sales.

I shelled out $$$ to experience Clash of the Titans in RealD just to have more fears validated. When the director puts as much work as Cameron did into making 3D a core part of the film 3D can be an amazing thing, it can also be a cheap gimmick.

It would seem Hollywood is (still) controlled by a bunch of greed driven executives who think the general public are idiots. The success or failure of consumer 3D is largely in their hands and will be determined by how much respect they pay to the directors vision.
post #37 of 200 Old 04-07-2010, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 View Post

Good thread with lots of useful information..... Going a bit OT: I hope Hollywood will show their customers some respect and tred carefully with 3D. So far they have not. It seems the huge (and well deserved) success of AVATAR 3D has prompted Hollywood to re-evaluate every upcoming picture to see if a post production 3D make over might bring more ticket sales.

I shelled out $$$ to experience Clash of the Titans in RealD just to have more fears validated. When the director puts as much work as Cameron did into making 3D a core part of the film 3D can be an amazing thing, it can also be a cheap gimmick.

It would seem Hollywood is (still) controlled by a bunch of greed driven executives who think the general public are idiots. The success or failure of consumer 3D is largely in their hands and will be determined by how much respect they pay to the directors vision.

Thanks - a labor of love.

I agree with you. And if you click on the other STICKY in this forum, you will see that the overwhelming method of 3D production for the rest of the year will be S3D and not 2D to 3D conversions.
post #38 of 200 Old 04-10-2010, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's what I can't wrap my head around...
Avatar in "Real3D" in a local theater w/ digital projectors looked freaking amazing and used cheap plastic polarized glasses that were kinda greyish in lens tint. The projector used in the theater is a single digital projector. The same projector that they've been using for the past couple years now...

So if we can get an amazing looking 3D experience with a single projector that isn't a new "3D Technology, 25% more expensive than other non-3D projectors, super awesome amazing brand new technology projector"........

Why can't I have a Bluray release of Avatar 3D that I can play on my standard LCD, DLP, Plasma, or Projector and simply wear some cheap comfortable polarized lens glasses?

Is this just because the movie industry knows they can make a crap ton of money by only releasing 3D movies in superior technology that costs more and requires upgrading your equipment?

I mean, six months ago I spent almost $2,000 on a new projector, and I won't be able to use it to watch something like Avatar in 3D on Bluray with some cheap glasses?
post #39 of 200 Old 04-10-2010, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by --DANNY-- View Post

Here's what I can't wrap my head around...
Avatar in "Real3D" in a local theater w/ digital projectors looked freaking amazing and used cheap plastic polarized glasses that were kinda greyish in lens tint. The projector used in the theater is a single digital projector. The same projector that they've been using for the past couple years now...

So if we can get an amazing looking 3D experience with a single projector that isn't a new "3D Technology, 25% more expensive than other non-3D projectors, super awesome amazing brand new technology projector"........

Why can't I have a Bluray release of Avatar 3D that I can play on my standard LCD, DLP, Plasma, or Projector and simply wear some cheap comfortable polarized lens glasses?

Is this just because the movie industry knows they can make a crap ton of money by only releasing 3D movies in superior technology that costs more and requires upgrading your equipment?

I mean, six months ago I spent almost $2,000 on a new projector, and I won't be able to use it to watch something like Avatar in 3D on Bluray with some cheap glasses?

Unfortunately, you won't be able to just don some cheap polarized glasses and watch Avatar in 3D. You projector is not configured properly (insides) to show 3D using the polarized light 3D format.

The theaters are using very expensive digital projectors that have a very expensive 3D add on like RealD or Dolby 3D. In the case of RealD, they use a silver screen to maintain polarization back to the viewer. They are showing 2 images each at 72 FPS flashed up on the screen in two different wavelengths of light - one for the left eye and one for the right eye where one lens blocks one eye, then the other based on the polarization method.

You projector can't do that nor do you have a silver screen - you need both.
post #40 of 200 Old 04-11-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Myth #16 has been added
post #41 of 200 Old 04-16-2010, 10:26 AM

I am doing a pseudo 3D on my Mitsubishi with Nvision and the 3D Stereo player and it looks incredible. I just load the player open my movie file, Alt Enter to full screen 3D mode, the shift right arrow twice, and shift up twice. I have a ton of blu ray movies converted to mkv and they look awesome.
Me and my son are having a 3D movie marathon tomorrow since its supposed to rain all day.
post #42 of 200 Old 04-16-2010, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPlace View Post

I am doing a pseudo 3D on my Mitsubishi with Nvision and the 3D Stereo player and it looks incredible. I just load the player open my movie file, Alt Enter to full screen 3D mode, the shift right arrow twice, and shift up twice. I have a ton of blu ray movies converted to mkv and they look awesome.
Me and my son are having a 3D movie marathon tomorrow since its supposed to rain all day.

Is this just a 2D to 3D conversion feature of Stereo Player and MKVs, or will it work with other types of files, such as m2ts?

Joe Clark

post #43 of 200 Old 04-19-2010, 10:06 AM

Thanks for all of the hard work on this thread! Very good information for the masses - I know I will be eagerly watching for updates...
post #44 of 200 Old 04-19-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How about the don't watch 3D TV while drunk myth?
post #45 of 200 Old 04-19-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the kudos and suggestions guys.

New myth to be added later today.

EDIT:

Myth #17 is up
post #46 of 200 Old 04-23-2010, 12:51 PM

In regards to myth 17. If HDMI 1.3 can carry 3d can I still use my current receiver without having any trouble? Will the receiver allow the 3d image to pass through so I can also benefit from the audio or will I need a new receiver for this? Really not looking to upgrade my receiver if I do upgrade my tv soon.
post #47 of 200 Old 04-23-2010, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssoto0055 View Post

In regards to myth 17. If HDMI 1.3 can carry 3d can I still use my current receiver without having any trouble? Will the receiver allow the 3d image to pass through so I can also benefit from the audio or will I need a new receiver for this? Really not looking to upgrade my receiver if I do upgrade my tv soon.

It isn't the bandwidth. It is other factors. If you are interested in 3DTV and 3D BD specifically, then you would want a Panasonic 3D BD player. It has two HDMI outputs and one can be configured to output HD audio only (for HD audio processing by an exisitn 1.3 AVR) while the other would be 3D and HD audio that would go to a 3DTV's 1.4 HDMI RX input.

This will help to explain the situation:

http://hdguru.com/3d-hdtv-and-hdmi-explained/1336/
post #48 of 200 Old 04-23-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

It isn't the bandwidth. It is other factors. If you are interested in 3DTV and 3D BD specifically, then you would want a Panasonic 3D BD player. It has two HDMI outputs and one can be configured to output HD audio only (for HD audio processing by an exisitn 1.3 AVR) while the other would be 3D and HD audio that would go to a 3DTV's 1.4 HDMI RX input.

This will help to explain the situation:

http://hdguru.com/3d-hdtv-and-hdmi-explained/1336/

Thanks for the info Lee. I have a PS3 so I was hoping to avoid buying a 3d player. So now I have decisions to make. I might just buy a new receiver and send the old one to my room. The wife might not like surround in our room but when have I ever listened?
post #49 of 200 Old 05-11-2010, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Lee Stewart;18340687]

Myth #9 = You can upgrade your HDTV to a 3DTV

TRUE & FALSE - 120Hz DLP RPTV's by Mitsubishi and Samsung, that were made as 3D ready, their owners will have the opportunity to purchase later this year, the Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 converter box. This is a 3D format converter that will convert 3D BD, SAT and CBL's 3D formats into the 3D format that these DLP HDTV's use, which is Checkerboard LINK , a 3D format that offers half HD resolution per eye instead of full HD resolution per eye, like the brand new FPD's do just being released. The frame /refresh rate will be 60 per eye, 120 total.

Again, active shutter glasses will be needed along with an external transmitter/emitter to sync the glasses to the TV that plugs into the back of the set in a special 3 pin VESA connection. If your set is equipped with a DLP-Link, then no emitter is required but you will need the DLP-Link 3D glasses like the XpanD X102 series.

So what about all the other HDTV's? The ones with 120Hz and 240Hz refresh rates? No - they will not be able to be upgraded to 3DTV's for a number of technical reasons.

Lee,

This a great thread. However, you need to update the information concerning the Mitsubishi Converter and the Samsung 3D ready DLPs in your first post contained in Myth 9. Thanks.
post #50 of 200 Old 05-11-2010, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Done - Thanks for the reminder
post #51 of 200 Old 05-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

post #52 of 200 Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Ok, so final word:

It is a MYTH that I need an 1.4 HDMI AVR to pass 3D?

I can use a 3D SOURCE, a 1.3 High Speed HDMI cable to interconnect said source to an 1.3 AVR, and a 1.3 HS cable to connect said AVR to a 3D capable television and be perfectly fine?

I have read more conflicting info on this than any other aspect of the technology.

Some vehemently maintain that I will NOT get full 1080P 3d while others maintain (just as vehemently) that I WON'T.

thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, I don't know how I missed the above pair of posts regarding the HDMI myth.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #53 of 200 Old 05-18-2010, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV View Post

This "myth" has to top them all.

http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2010/05/1...oman-pregnant/

The title of that article should have been 3DTV makes woman stupid.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #54 of 200 Old 05-30-2010, 01:54 PM

nice sticky. good read here.
post #55 of 200 Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

The 1954 film was shot with M.L. Gunzberg's Natural Vision 3-D camera rig. This rig was notable for being the same rig that started the 3-D craze of 1953 with Bwana Devil and House of Wax. Intended originally to be shown in dual strip, polaroid 3-D, the film played most theaters flat due to the loss of interest in the 3-D process in conjunction with the time of its release. In February 1980, the dual-strip system was used for the revival of the film in 3-D at the York Theater in San Francisco. This revival did so well that Warner Brothers re-released the film in the single-strip system 3-D version in February 1982.

From WIKI

If this is ever released on 3D BD, I would sincerely home that WB went back to the original stereo film elements and did not attempt a transfer from the single strip 3D film elements

In a thread devoted to 'getting things right', let's make sure the small details are covered, too:

DIAL M FOR MURDER wasn't shot with the Natural Vision 3-D rig, despite what it says at Wikipedia. It was shot in WarnerVision, the studio's own stereoscopic format, which would have saved them the expense of hiring the Natural Vision rig (which they had used on HOUSE OF WAX the previous year, for no other reason than the WarnerVision rig wasn't ready at the time).
post #56 of 200 Old 06-08-2010, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Shaw View Post

In a thread devoted to 'getting things right', let's make sure the small details are covered, too:

DIAL M FOR MURDER wasn't shot with the Natural Vision 3-D rig, despite what it says at Wikipedia. It was shot in WarnerVision, the studio's own stereoscopic format, which would have saved them the expense of hiring the Natural Vision rig (which they had used on HOUSE OF WAX the previous year, for no other reason than the WarnerVision rig wasn't ready at the time).

LOL! Well - it was a myth that they used Natural Vision 3D camera rigs to shoot Dial M For Murder - as per Wiki.

I checked another source which also shows Warner Vision 3D camera rigs.
post #57 of 200 Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Well . . . . it took long enough but I have come up with another myth and would like to thank jbug for his inspirational post. While trying to come up with a new myth, I reread this thread and his post "rang my bell."

Yes - I know I am scraping the bottom of the barrel but that's all that's left.
post #58 of 200 Old 07-10-2010, 03:31 AM

This is great, i had proposed we start using 3D broadcast TV at LosAngeles Web design lab to assist those client who need advanced flash based websites and also buy another one for our theater but was faced with rejection due to this myths now i will have the facts to prove my points. Thank you very much.
post #59 of 200 Old 07-17-2010, 06:23 AM

Myth #17 = You will need new a HDMI cable for 3D

I'm half confused, pardon my ignorance. Does this mean that now that there are 1.4 cables with Ethernet that I will be needing to upgrade to produce the highest quality 3D experience?

I currently have these cables.
http://www.igonemobile.com/product.aspx?p=21888
post #60 of 200 Old 07-17-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any high speed Ethernet cable will work with HDMI 1.4a content. None of the 3D TVs
or 3D players have any support for the use of Ethernet over HDMI.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page