Popular Myths About 3D - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 200 Old 07-19-2010, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Off topic posts deleted.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 200 Old 07-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Member
 
high def mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Metro Denver
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some fun stuff here: http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/07...knew-about-3d/
high def mon is offline  
post #63 of 200 Old 11-04-2010, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Myth #19 = 3D is THE cutting edge of movie technology

Just added
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #64 of 200 Old 11-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
BlackShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montpellier, France
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You spend hundreds of dollars on shutter glasses so that you don't have to spend thousands more for the TV in order to get the equivalent picture quality for polarised glasses.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

BlackShark is offline  
post #65 of 200 Old 11-09-2010, 07:11 PM
 
icester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjvmec View Post
so according to myth 15... if home and movie theatre 3d is the same... why do we need to spend hundreds of dollars on glasses?

seems like a rip off... watch... after the first big push in 3d the next wave will be glasses-less displays
It is not the same at all.
Home theater equipped with dual projector, silver screen and passive glasses outperforms any theater system including IMAX.
Most of all, theater screen size is not compatible with stereo content and always shows gigantic exaggerated scenes and actor sizes.


Mathew Orman
icester is offline  
post #66 of 200 Old 11-09-2010, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by icester View Post

It is not the same at all.

Yes - they are the same. They are both true stereoscopic full color 3D

Quote:


Home theater equipped with dual projector, silver screen and passive glasses outperforms any theater system including IMAX.



Quote:


Most of all, theater screen size is not compatible with stereo content and always shows gigantic exaggerated scenes and actor sizes.

Mathew Orman

LOL! As opposed to totally diminished in size scenery and actor sizes.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #67 of 200 Old 11-09-2010, 11:45 PM
 
icester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Yes - they are the same. They are both true stereoscopic full color 3D







LOL! As opposed to totally diminished in size scenery and actor sizes.

I guess you are not familiar with human stereoscopic vision geometry.

'True stereoscopic' is a meaningless statement.

Mathew Orman
icester is offline  
post #68 of 200 Old 11-10-2010, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by icester View Post

I guess you are not familiar with human stereoscopic vision geometry.

'True stereoscopic' is a meaningless statement.

Mathew Orman

As opposed to Anaglyph or ColorCode 3D. If my description doesn't please you . . .
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #69 of 200 Old 11-10-2010, 07:37 AM
 
icester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

As opposed to Anaglyph or ColorCode 3D. If my description doesn't please you . . .

It is irrelevant to projection method.
The fact still remains that screen sizes of home theater will
display 3D actors lot closer to his/her real size.
But for regular movie theater screen size it will always be
excessive size due to gimmick content that is parallax limit driven.

Mathew Orman
icester is offline  
post #70 of 200 Old 11-10-2010, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by icester View Post

It is irrelevant to projection method.
The fact still remains that screen sizes of home theater will
display 3D actors lot closer to his/her real size.
But for regular movie theater screen size it will always be
excessive size due to gimmick content that is parallax limit driven.

Mathew Orman

Well - you could say the same thing about normal movies shown in a theater.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #71 of 200 Old 11-10-2010, 09:56 AM
 
icester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Well - you could say the same thing about normal movies shown in a theater.

Yes,
the most of adrenaline from movies is related to abnormal size of actors. And IMAX is the top score.

Mathew Orman
icester is offline  
post #72 of 200 Old 11-11-2010, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
8:13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by icester View Post

Yes,
the most of adrenaline from movies is related to abnormal size of actors. And IMAX is the top score.

Mathew Orman

You know that 3D content thread we made that's stickied? Are you saying that if they make movies like that it will be incompatible with theaters and big screens and imax?
And if they are will they still look good or worse than they currently do if they follow our advice in that thread?


There is new, and then you are new.
This is a moral of the bears and their cereal.
8:13 is offline  
post #73 of 200 Old 11-12-2010, 04:18 AM
 
icester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8:13 View Post

You know that 3D content thread we made that's stickied? Are you saying that if they make movies like that it will be incompatible with theaters and big screens and imax?
And if they are will they still look good or worse than they currently do if they follow our advice in that thread?

To make a cinema theater realistic and undistorted projection of 48 inch screen content, the movie projector in the theater must float the stereo window from the screen size to 48 inch stereo window size
and then movie spectators will see the same as if they ware sitting in front of their homes theater screens.
Floating is the technique for matching screen size to the content's stereo window size in order to satisfy geometry requirements for realistic content projection.

Mathew Orman
icester is offline  
post #74 of 200 Old 11-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Member
 
MR.FEATURE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If this has been addressed elsewhere forgive me for asking again.
Is 3D going to have a "FORMAT WAR" like Beta/VHS or BLURAY/HD? If so I will wait untill there is a winner. I lost on both of the other wars by buying BETA and HD.
Thanks.
Martin
MR.FEATURE is offline  
post #75 of 200 Old 11-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Steve P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There isn't a format war.
Steve P. is offline  
post #76 of 200 Old 11-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
pmalter0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.FEATURE View Post

If this has been addressed elsewhere forgive me for asking again.
Is 3D going to have a "FORMAT WAR" like Beta/VHS or BLURAY/HD? If so I will wait untill there is a winner. I lost on both of the other wars by buying BETA and HD.
Thanks.
Martin

What different formats do you think there are?
pmalter0 is offline  
post #77 of 200 Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Member
 
MR.FEATURE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalter0 View Post

What different formats do you think there are?

Just asking. Will all 3D discs play on any player?
MR.FEATURE is offline  
post #78 of 200 Old 11-18-2010, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.FEATURE View Post

Just asking. Will all 3D discs play on any player?

3D Blu-ray discs will play in any 3D Blu-ray player.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #79 of 200 Old 11-18-2010, 01:05 AM
 
icester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.FEATURE View Post

Just asking. Will all 3D discs play on any player?

No,
the war is over now and the only format is 3D Blue Ray
and the player does not support any other 3D formats.

So, if you want to play legacy format on DVD like the field sequential DVDs you need to use legacy equipment.

Alternatively you can convert legacy 3D DVDs into 3D HD Frame Compatible format and play is using 3D Blu Ray Players. It requires manual selection of 3D mode on your 3D TV.

Mathew Orman
icester is offline  
post #80 of 200 Old 11-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Mastiffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So is there talk about a unified system for viewing? in otherwords, will it come down to all manufacturers producing 3D displays using the same Technology?

Isn't there technology being tested for holographic TV's coming? The Television program "The Biggest Loser" and some concerts have used this holographic technology already.... How long of wait for that?

Or is that like asking how long until flying cars are put into production?
Mastiffman is offline  
post #81 of 200 Old 11-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
BlackShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Montpellier, France
Posts: 582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Be careful with holographic displays, many people are fooled very easily, they see a picture in mid-air reflected on a semi transparent glass and they believe they see holograms.

The best Holographic display currently demonstrated is monochrome, small, ultra low resolution extremely slow (1 frame every 2 seconds) and are laboratory prototypes that cost would cost millions on the market.
Saying an approximative release date for holographic displays would be like reading a crystal ball. Usually people say "at least 15-20 years" to look less dumb when asked that question.
What's more, recording a holographic picture is horribly complicated and extremely impractical. Recording stereo video for current 3-D is a piece of cake in comparison, it works almost like 2D with small differences. I have a tendency to consider Holography as a completely different medium, it's like comparing a painting (TV/cinema/2D/stereo3D) and a sculpture (holographic display).

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

BlackShark is offline  
post #82 of 200 Old 11-20-2010, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post

So is there talk about a unified system for viewing? in otherwords, will it come down to all manufacturers producing 3D displays using the same Technology?

Why - does that exist with HDTVs? Don't we have PDPs, LCDs and DLP RPTV to say nothing of FPTVs. And we have multiple HD resolutions; 1080P, 1080i and 720P

Currently, 3DTVs use active shutter glasses and frame sequential 3D. There is another method which is in use, circular polarized passive glasses (super cheap) and Xpol tech. for 3D LCDs. This is not yet available here in the USA but is available in the UK and Japan (first launched). The panels are more costly and do not display full HD per eye (max res is 1920x540) but the glasses cost dissappears.

Quote:


Isn't there technology being tested for holographic TV's coming? The Television program "The Biggest Loser" and some concerts have used this holographic technology already.... How long of wait for that?

Or is that like asking how long until flying cars are put into production?

Latest estimate is 20 years.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #83 of 200 Old 11-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Newbie
 
Chris.Kut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Lee:
Thanks for the detailed and interesting illustrations.

*Would you where I may look for enthusiastic & technical individuals to do 3D software?

I am looking for Software developers who might work on Stereoscopic 3D Web Player, especially for the following Display mode:

No Glasses/Free Viewing
3D Display formats:
1. Cross-eyed
2. Parallel
3. Mirror Split
4. Left (2D)
5. Right (2D)

This is much like what YouTube has in their 3D channel, but they still can't support direct stereoscopic viewing for Nvidia 3D Vision.

*I wonder if there are successful add-on or plug-in tools had been developed to the Nvidia system.
Chris.Kut is offline  
post #84 of 200 Old 12-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Newbie
 
Widgetcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't own a 3D TV, but a common complaint that I hear is that you HAVE to use the 3D for 3D content. Am I wrong in assuming that you can turn the feature off? It seems like a pretty stupid idea, so I'd have to assume that the manufacturers would think so too.
Widgetcraft is offline  
post #85 of 200 Old 12-04-2010, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widgetcraft View Post
I don't own a 3D TV, but a common complaint that I hear is that you HAVE to use the 3D for 3D content. Am I wrong in assuming that you can turn the feature off? It seems like a pretty stupid idea, so I'd have to assume that the manufacturers would think so too.
A 3DTV is an HDTV. Most of the 3DTVs have a 2D to 3D conversion on the fly feature that allows you to watch 2D content in 3D. The results are a mixed bag leaning towards meh. If you don't want to use the feature, you don't turn it on. Same as other features like DNR or Sports Mode, etc.
Lee Stewart is offline  
post #86 of 200 Old 12-13-2010, 04:58 AM
Member
 
CatsTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
good stuff here...forgive if this has already been talked about(i'm a bad skimmer).

i have an onkyo TX-NR905 it only has 1.3 hdmi's. will i lose any 3D (or anything else) by going through the onkyo instead of going straight to the tv? the tv is a 3D 240Hz tv.
CatsTide is offline  
post #87 of 200 Old 12-13-2010, 05:00 AM
Member
 
CatsTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widgetcraft View Post

I don't own a 3D TV, but a common complaint that I hear is that you HAVE to use the 3D for 3D content. Am I wrong in assuming that you can turn the feature off? It seems like a pretty stupid idea, so I'd have to assume that the manufacturers would think so too.

just think of 3D as an extra bell and whistle on a great tv. 2D looks great on them too.
CatsTide is offline  
post #88 of 200 Old 12-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
pmalter0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsTide View Post

good stuff here...forgive if this has already been talked about(i'm a bad skimmer).

i have an onkyo TX-NR905 it only has 1.3 hdmi's. will i lose any 3D (or anything else) by going through the onkyo instead of going straight to the tv? the tv is a 3D 240Hz tv.

Yes.
pmalter0 is offline  
post #89 of 200 Old 12-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Member
 
CatsTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalter0 View Post

Yes.

can you elaborate?
CatsTide is offline  
post #90 of 200 Old 12-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Member
 
CatsTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my confusion is that i think i understand that 3D doesn't require a 1.4HDMI so why would i lose anything going through my onkyo that is 1.3HDMI???
CatsTide is offline  
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off