Popular Myths About 3D - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 200 Old 10-29-2011, 04:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sorry, but the 705 ain't gonna work... see previous post with someone having a 905.

Gotta also say thanks Lee, informative thread, even if the last page or two had rants not really related to the thread topic! (But I again state this is just as much fun as the LCD/Plasma debates I've read!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 200 Old 11-06-2011, 08:43 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the response AVTrauma, I appreciate it, even though it's not the answer I was hoping for...but I kinda already knew the answer.
Oh well, the fiber cable will have to do for now, cause I'm not getting a new reciever.
This Onkyo reciever is really good. I'll just have to use the Older Samsung BDU5000 for most blu-rays (and HD-DVD's) for the awesome sound, and use the new player for 3D movies only. Have a great day and gotta love this site.
post #183 of 200 Old 11-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Z0p

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS6907 View Post

I hope someone can help me on the question of using a new Samsung 3D bluray player & TV with a couple year old receiver...Will it pass the 3D content through an Onkyo TX-SR705 reciever...is it possible?
I really hate the thought of having to replace this beautiful sounding piece of equipment.

Thank you for this entertaining and informative thread Lee.

I have a Pioneer AVR that I wasn't about to replace. There are Samsung and Panasonic 3d blu-ray players with 2 HDMI outputs so you can still use your HDMI 1.3 AVR. I use a HTPC with a DVI to HDMI cable to the TV and a HDMI cable to the AVR... works perfect. Best PQ and HD audio.
post #184 of 200 Old 11-08-2011, 06:15 PM

Going with a 3D set means much more than just getting the set. I do believe that there are several factors limiting the wide spread adoption of this "new" emersive form of home entertainment. Content is an issue, but improving. The quality of that content is also an issue, but also slowly improving. The economics plays a major factor, since many have recently purchased a HDTV in the last few years, especially with the changes in broadcasting format. Then you have to upgrade your bluray player. And then there is the AVR/HTIB upgrade necessary also. The costs are difficult to justify with the current state of the economy. I also believe that it is not a fad, and many would love to be able to enjoy this type of entertainment, if they had the funds. More 3D products coming at midlevel price points will be increasing the adoption of this medium. Now if we can get the cost of the 3D blurays to reasonable levels, it will become even more cost effective and desireable for everyone... including those who view this as a fad & complain about the glasses

just my $0.02 worth... (that brings me up to about 10-12 cents worth by now)
post #185 of 200 Old 12-09-2011, 12:21 AM

Disclaimer: I have not read this thread, this is the first time I've actually clicked this subforum of 3D Central, so I have no idea if this is old news. But just in case anybody hasn't seen this, I felt it had to be posted on here somewhere. I'm actually in the middle of pulling an all-nighter writing a paper as it's the last week of school, and stumbled upon this gem on the first page of google search results for "i will not i won't". Anyway...

The title of the article is:

Why 3D doesn't work and never will. Case closed.
from 1/23/11

Just the name alone made me LMMFAO literally!
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/post_4.html
post #186 of 200 Old 02-10-2012, 02:34 AM

That article by Roger Ebert was in January 2011...

Before he viewed & approved of the 3D use in "Hugo" by the way!
post #187 of 200 Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM

Incredibly informative. Thank you for such a clear breakdown on everything having to do with 3D. It helped clear up a lot of confusion on my part. Keep up the posts. I love it!
post #188 of 200 Old 03-01-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 36
One of the most often complained about myths is that crosstalk is the fault of the content.

3D content is no more to blame for crosstalk than the latest PC game is to blame for choppy framerates on an outdated computer. The only difference really is that PCs today are many many times more powerful than they were 40 years ago; the average modern 3DTV is worse at crosstalk than passive polarized cinemas 60 years ago, so home 3D is playing catchup.
post #189 of 200 Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Thank goodness for DLPs, and those super fast mirrors. My DLP exhibits no crosstalk.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #190 of 200 Old 03-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoldier11 View Post

The title of the article is:

Why 3D doesn't work and never will. Case closed.
from 1/23/11

Just the name alone made me LMMFAO literally!
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/post_4.html

Great articulation of the focus/convergence problem endemic to all current 3D displays (Passive/active) on all consumer displays-

Quote:

The biggest problem with 3D, though, is the "convergence/focus" issue. A couple of the other issues -- darkness and "smallness" -- are at least theoretically solvable. But the deeper problem is that the audience must focus their eyes at the plane of the screen -- say it is 80 feet away. This is constant no matter what.

But their eyes must converge at perhaps 10 feet away, then 60 feet, then 120 feet, and so on, depending on what the illusion is. So 3D films require us to focus at one distance and converge at another. And 600 million years of evolution has never presented this problem before. All living things with eyes have always focussed and converged at the same point.

If we look at the salt shaker on the table, close to us, we focus at six feet and our eyeballs converge (tilt in) at six feet. Imagine the base of a triangle between your eyes and the apex of the triangle resting on the thing you are looking at. But then look out the window and you focus at sixty feet and converge also at sixty feet. That imaginary triangle has now "opened up" so that your lines of sight are almost -- almost -- parallel to each other.

We can do this. 3D films would not work if we couldn't. But it is like tapping your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time, difficult. So the "CPU" of our perceptual brain has to work extra hard, which is why after 20 minutes or so many people get headaches. They are doing something that 600 million years of evolution never prepared them for. This is a deep problem, which no amount of technical tweaking can fix. Nothing will fix it short of producing true "holographic" images.

post #191 of 200 Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
It's true that the focus/convergence mismatch is a problem that can't be fixed. However, the severity of the problem is greatly exaggerated in that article. Focus is only a weak indicator of depth, and convergence and disparity we get with stereoscopic 3D is given priority and our brains see it as a 3D image. Stereoscopic 3D wouldn't work otherwise. I think the focus/convergence mismatch may be one source of eye strain or headaches though. However, these things go away with more exposure to stereoscopic 3D, which I think suggests the brain learns not to sweat the mismatch.

In fact, a similar problem exists in 2D as well. There are plenty of monocular 3D cues that we get with 2D images (and Ebert would be the first to tell you), but the focus and convergence of our eyes suggests the image is 2D at all times. So while we might get a strong 3D sensation with motion parallax in a given sceen, the focus and convergence of our eyes contradict it. There's really nothing in the natural world like it, a 2D image with 3D depth cues, but we don't get eye strain or headaches because we've all been exposed to these man-made images since birth and I think long ago learned to process (or rather, ignore) the mismatch. The only problem is that stereoscopic 3D images on a flat screen is relatively new to a lot of us.
post #192 of 200 Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Busted myth: Hunger Games is in 3D

http://www.observer.com/2012/03/hung...ross-rex-reed/

Quote:

Unlike Brake, in which the thrills are generated by people, the sci-fi adventure The Hunger Games relies heavily on CGI effects in a variety of visual formats2D, 3D and 3D Imax. As a wearer of distance glasses, I loathe the revival of 3D, a silly gimmick for kids from the 1950s that blighted everything from Bwana Devil to Kiss Me Kate and mercifully died out with House of Wax. So I chose a simpler way to watch The Hunger Games without the discomfort of two pairs glasses, and don't feel like I missed a thing. I can live without another flying spear.

post #193 of 200 Old 03-22-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

Busted myth: Hunger Games is in 3D

http://www.observer.com/2012/03/hung...ross-rex-reed/

Not according to this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392170/technical
post #194 of 200 Old 03-22-2012, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, that's what I said.
post #195 of 200 Old 01-12-2013, 04:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Myth #8 = You need glasses to see 3D in your home

TRUE - either active shutter glasses or passive polarized glasses. And the red/cyan cardboard "glasses" used for the old Anaglyph 3D method. That is for today and the foreseeable future. But in the not too distant future (some say 7 to 10 years), we may be watching 3D in our homes without glasses. There are companies all over the world that are developing for the commerical market, glasses free 3D. They are called Autostereoscopic 3D displays.

Here is a LINK that explains briefly how they work.

Myth #10 = 3D glasses are interchangeable between 3DTV brands

FALSE - today, the CEMs are using proprietary 3D active shutter glasses for their 3DTVs. A set of Samsung 3D glasses will not work with a Panasonic 3DTV and visa vera. But help is on the way from a company called XpanD Cinema, a seller of both active shutter glasses and 3D cinema equipment for theaters. They will be releasing their X103 [URL=http://]LINK[/URL] Universal IR (Infra Red) 3D active shutter glasses later this year, that will be interchangeable with the major CEM's like Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic and even Nvidia (3D from a PC). The cost will be about the same as the ones being sold by the CEMs

Later in the year they will release; "the holy grail" of 3D active shutter glasses, the X104 series, which will include Bluetooth (Vizio) and DLP-Link along with IR. They will be made out of titanium and will be extremely light. Guesstimate on the cost per pair is $250.

Both the X103s and X104s will be battery powered. They claim a battery life of about 250 hours.

Great work but these two need to be updated.

Myth 8: While its not quite upto par and requires users to usually sit/stand in a particular 'sweetspot'; they were all over CES this year. As well as a company; 'Ultra D'; is working on a box that can do it on ANY TV. One called 3D Fusion was in the lime-light after their showcase in Macy's for Christmas 2012 but havent heard much since.

Myth 10: There are users all over this forum who state they use so-and-so's glasses with another manufacturers TV/projector.

But defiantly a great sticky article! One of my favorite stereoscopic movies from yester-year was Amytiville 3D... Im still wishing they release the 3D BlueRay for this one!!!

Pass it on... George Washington, and other patriots, didnt say 'just dont tell them our names.'

They stood in the face of CERTAIN death and said "We are the founders of America... we are not an anonymous group of obscurity and we WILL produce the greatest nation in the world!!!"
post #196 of 200 Old 05-18-2013, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I enjoy select 3d movies.
I have a Sony hx800, and bought Blick 3d glasses, and they work very well together.
post #197 of 200 Old 06-23-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 946

About Myth #1  (regarding anaglyph 3D only)

Isn't the "golden era" of the 1950's considered 1953/1954?  At least it seems to be mentioned as such here and there (wikipedia, and the link at the bottom here).

Also, you might want to mention the 1 and 2 reel anaglyph "shorts" done in the 1953/1954 golden era:

https://sites.google.com/site/3dfilmarchive/home/top-10-3-d-myths/1953-anaglyph-films

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #198 of 200 Old 06-23-2013, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Along with the advent of widescreen films (a major topic alone) the resurrection of 3d was another means to draw the public to the theatres.

As noted many times, films like Creature from the Black Lagoon, Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder, Hondo, House of Wax, etc. were made for 3d specifically, and not an afterthought. There are even a few Three Stooges shorts that are 3d.
post #199 of 200 Old 07-28-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Contrary to the myth that negative Nancy's continue to spread, especially every time some major cancellation occurs ( vis a Vis ESPN3D), 3D continues to grow and more content and new innovations continue to amaze those of us who love the format.

One of the most fascinating new innovations is the use of 3D conversion process in post production. This laborious method is still costly in labor and time but can produce results that range from subtle to highly exaggerated depth range with little to no cross talk. There have been some amazing 3D conversion releases lately that have been game changers.

While many will try to claim that 3D is only driven by money and therefore will never last don't see the bigger picture. That is that while the inspiration to produce a movie in 3D may be based in a director's understanding of the artistic benefits of the format, the reality is that 3D is adding profits to the coffers and the combination of artistic benefit AND profits make for a very powerful foundation to the truth that 3D is here to stay. We don't need to have every film in real world dimension, but those that benefit, either by the art of 3D stereo or profit motive, stretching beyond flat world is seen as a positive by the industry.

For those who want more titles in 3D, I suggest you scan ALL the 3D Blu Ray titles in Amazon from time to time. They come up with many little known titles that never made the big lists of 3D titles. Many are not very expensive to buy. Some are low budget documentaries, but some are decent movies with top named actors. One word of caution- always check the language and region codes to be sure you will get the most for your money. You can't enjoy 3D if you have to read subtitles because you don't know the language.
JSUL likes this.
post #200 of 200 Old 07-31-2013, 06:49 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

For those who want more titles in 3D, I suggest you scan ALL the 3D Blu Ray titles in Amazon from time to time. They come up with many little known titles that never made the big lists of 3D titles. Many are not very expensive to buy. Some are low budget documentaries, but some are decent movies with top named actors. One word of caution- always check the language and region codes to be sure you will get the most for your money. You can't enjoy 3D if you have to read subtitles because you don't know the language.

Picked up many titles with this method Don [ and cross checking the same title on amazon uk simultaneously with google chrome if you have a region free player redface.gif ] I also regularly check bluray.com for titles that have depreciated big time if your good at waiting smile.gif

http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?sortby=popularity&category=3dbluray
Reply 3D Tech Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page