post #721 of 745 Old 06-06-2010, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

All standard DVDs are encoded in NTSC 480i SD analog format. Almost all 2D Blue Rays are encoded in standard digital MPEG2 at 1080p/24 resolution which means they play best on a 1080p HDTV.

With LG's recent "announcement" of an 84-inch 3DTV with 3840x2160 resolution sure to start some interesting debates on the issues of upscaling 3D sources (1080 or lower resolution) to [3D] display at 2160p, LG's graphic comparing the significance of individual pixels on 720, 1080 and 2160 displays raises another interesting 2D question: How different will the SD and BD versions of the same movie look when both are unscaled to 2160?

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 745 Old 06-06-2010, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So aziz ansari the comedian hosting the mtv movie awards(you may also remember him from his rant on fake imax theaters) kinda thrashed 3dtv today in his monologue. It was something like
'I love 3D but I might be a little biased cause I also think headaches are dope.'
'People say 3D look so real and I dont get it, Julia and Julia looks real. Avatar, alice in wonderland, and clash of the titans look like fricken videogames.'

Probably wont affect 3D adoption but I thought it was interesting..
post #723 of 745 Old 06-07-2010, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjLancer View Post

So aziz ansari the comedian hosting the mtv movie awards(you may also remember him from his rant on fake imax theaters) kinda thrashed 3dtv today in his monologue. It was something like
'I love 3D but I might be a little biased cause I also think headaches are dope.'
'People say 3D look so real and I dont get it, Julia and Julia looks real. Avatar, alice in wonderland, and clash of the titans look like fricken videogames.'

That is interesting, especially given the target demographic. Given the oft-quoted figures in this forum around how few people are affected by side effects, can you tell us how strong was the crowd reaction? 10%? Pretty hearty from most? If they are as rare as folks claim, I'd think most people wouldn't have understood it.
post #724 of 745 Old 06-07-2010, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well it looks to me that Hollywood knows most of us have home theaters... were I live everyone has a home theater.

Now that times are lean and people will only go see blockbuster movies... hehehehe!

3D has become the movie theaters only chance of survival as 3 of our theaters closed down, leaving us with just 2 cinaplexs and a hand full of small theaters.

I posted in an other thread... the only 3D movie(s) I am looking forward to is Ridley Scott's Alien prequals.

He is forcing production to reinvent 3D because is not good enough for true black levels of HD, and also modern 3D imaging causes too much edge emphasis as in video games.

Ridley is the only modern SiFi director that does not like to use computer animation or modify images beyond the fluid detail of natural details.

If anything Ridley is not try'n to one up James Cameron, he is allowing HD and 3D to work together as one, in a natural way.

To me 3D should not bring the image into your lap... it should make the image start on the screen and go further back as if your peering into a panarama...

Though I will accept a few things fly'n by or climbing out of the picture to fall below your knees. Just the super imposed look and the poke in the eye bit is way too old for me.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #725 of 745 Old 06-07-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely8 View Post

That is interesting, especially given the target demographic. Given the oft-quoted figures in this forum around how few people are affected by side effects, can you tell us how strong was the crowd reaction? 10%? Pretty hearty from most? If they are as rare as folks claim, I'd think most people wouldn't have understood it.

10% sounds about right. Monologue wasnt very good imo.
You can watch it here if youre american.
http://www.collider.com/2010/06/07/a...-movie-awards/
post #726 of 745 Old 06-07-2010, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

10% sounds about right. Monologue wasnt very good imo.
You can watch it here if youre american.
http://www.collider.com/2010/06/07/a...-movie-awards/

It's interesting that when he mentioned headaches, the audience went dead silent, as if thinking "Headaches? What is he talking about?"

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #727 of 745 Old 06-07-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech View Post

To me 3D should not bring the image into your lap... it should make the image start on the screen and go further back as if your peering into a panarama...

Though I will accept a few things fly'n by or climbing out of the picture to fall below your knees. Just the super imposed look and the poke in the eye bit is way too old for me.

I hate to say it but the Alien films, being what they are, I expect jumping out to be the predominant effect.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #728 of 745 Old 06-07-2010, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Stereoscopic 3D - the 3D with glasses, for the home is the same S3D people are seeing in the theaters. Just presented a little differently.

Polarized is much better IMO.
post #729 of 745 Old 06-07-2010, 11:41 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

You lose more light wearing polarized glasses than you do wearing active shutter glasses.
post #730 of 745 Old 06-08-2010, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I checked out 3DTV the other day. Was pretty neat, but I found the big frames on the shutter glasses to be quite distracting. I think I'd rather have a 2D projector with a large screen than a 42" 3DTV at this point.
post #731 of 745 Old 06-12-2010, 04:25 AM

Liked: 47
A Ridley Scott Alien prequel in 3D! Wow! Looking forward to seeing that on my pointless 3D HDTV!
post #732 of 745 Old 07-01-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOOBZ1LLA View Post

It came to my attention today after visiting my local Sony Style store that 3D TV's are the most pointless mainstream technology ever.

How did this happen? When did consumers get on top of rooftops and start screaming for 3D capable TV's in their living room? I don't think that ever actually happened.

It was like one day a bunch of major corporations got together and were like hey we are going to tell the American sheeple they want 3D Tv's. But even the most greedy CEO has to be scratching his head trying to understand how a person would want to willingly wear a heavy pair of heavy glasses for hours at a time. Do you really think you can make it through Lord of the Rings with those things on? ....

3D TV is nothing more than a blatantly engineered marketing gimmick.

Am I wrong?

Of course you're correct about the corporations engineering this new must have technology. It's the way Capitalism works. The question is whether it's a gimmick or the real deal.

I think with-in the next 5 years once they hone the technology -- or at least greatly improve it by getting rid of the glasses -- and they vastly increase the content, the masses will come.

The industry needs to give the public a strong incentive to buy more displays. 3D will be a "must have" technology in 5 years, especially for people who want to keep up with the Jones -- which is most people.

Sony is going all out or all in to make it so ...

June 30th, 2010

"While Sony put on an impressive preview of their 3D flat panel HDTVs at the 2010 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this past January (complete with a mini-concert captured live in 3D with Sony Music's popular teen songstress Taylor Swift), their mid-June press event at Sony Picture Studios in Culver City pulled out all the stops."

http://www.avguide.com/blog/sony-goe...d?src=Playback

In the meantime, I'll be on the side lines.
post #733 of 745 Old 07-01-2010, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Head Tilt and 3D TV Glasses
June 30th, 2010
Matt Brennesholtz, Insight Media Analyst

http://displaydaily.com/2010/06/30/h...3d-tv-glasses/
post #734 of 745 Old 12-15-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

I checked out 3DTV the other day. Was pretty neat, but I found the big frames on the shutter glasses to be quite distracting.

Ya this is one reason i will always prefer what i have always watched and loved......

A CRT in standard def
post #735 of 745 Old 12-16-2010, 04:41 AM

Glad to see this 3D thing is all the rage now in HT. The amount of 3D media is amazing and everyone I know has a 3D TV.

Guess I have to admit I was wrong when I doubted those that said this would be the BIG thing this holiday season.

NOT!!!
post #736 of 745 Old 12-16-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzpro5 View Post

Glad to see this 3D thing is all the rage now in HT. The amount of 3D media is amazing and everyone I know has a 3D TV.

Guess I have to admit I was wrong when I doubted those that said this would be the BIG thing this holiday season.

NOT!!!

Considering 3D has been in homes less than a year, I think it's doing pretty well. I've heard MUCH more buzz about 3D tech this year than I ever heard about HD-DVD/Blu-ray in it's first. Also, I guess I'm one of the few that is not bothered by wearing the glasses.

XBL: Nash
post #737 of 745 Old 12-16-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBKfan View Post

Considering 3D has been in homes less than a year, I think it's doing pretty well. I've heard MUCH more buzz about 3D tech this year than I ever heard about HD-DVD/Blu-ray in it's first. Also, I guess I'm one of the few that is not bothered by wearing the glasses.

There may be alot of "buzz" but that is not transferring to actual sales and acceptance of the technology. Especially when it seems there is very little if any media currently available for home use.
post #738 of 745 Old 12-16-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:

There may be alot of "buzz" but that is not transferring to actual sales and acceptance of the technology. Especially when it seems there is very little if any media currently available for home use.

I disagree, the "buzz" will certainly lead to more sales. Worldwide there are expectations for 4 million 3DTVs sold this year and another 5 million sold in '11. How does that compare to HDTV sales in the first two years?

XBL: Nash
post #739 of 745 Old 12-16-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBKfan View Post

I'm not bothered by them either because they are an exception not a necessity. I don't HAVE to watch 3D content all the time. The common complaint from most people I talk to is a.) glasses and b.) they think if they buy a 3D TV they have to wear glasses EVERY time they watch TV.
post #740 of 745 Old 12-16-2010, 09:21 AM

I have to admit it is annoying having 2 TV's sat next to each other one 2D set and one 3D set. But until they come up with some way of making a weird hybrid 2D/3D set I guess I am stuck with that setup. At least it doubles the number of HDMI ports I have, I guess.
post #741 of 745 Old 12-16-2010, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am am not aware of any 3D capable TV that is not also capable of superb PQ with 2D TV content.
post #742 of 745 Old 12-16-2010, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

I disagree... 120hz sequential DLP projection w/active shutter glasses is the best I have seen period. Better than the nicer pay theaters.
post #743 of 745 Old 12-16-2010, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Serveral people here at the office where I work got new HDTV's for xmas. All but one got a 3D capable display. So I think your wrong anyways. Since I added 3D in my theater, it has been packed every 3D screening. Attendance had dwindled from when I first got the theater done nearly 5 years ago now.
post #744 of 745 Old 12-17-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzpro5

NOT!!!
Hehe i was confused when i first read your post! (Until i scrolled down )
post #745 of 745 Old 12-17-2010, 11:46 PM

There actually is quite a bit of 3d content on the horizon. Just try to think of a movie that is coming out soon that isn't in 3d. There is a lot of cheesy kids flicks but after jack ass 3d I was sold. I mean the super bowl, the olympics, NCAA, and the world cup. Besides, considering how much the motion picture studios are investing into these 3d movies it is unlikely 3d will flop. Blu ray vs hddvd proved studio support is one of the strongest ways to see if a format will last. This has proven true time and time again. Besides it doesn't even matter the 3d tv sets still look better in 2d than any other sets, and in most cases right now their giving all the 3d stuff away with the tv at an amazing price. Some may argue that this is commoditizing the format but it's also a great way of getting people to brag to their friends about this cool tech. I sell TVs and have for ten plus years and people certainly are buying 3d tvs. Most of them are back in the stores looking to buy more and more movies the next day. Avs is all about entertainment and art and 3d it's pretty f**kin entertaining if you ask me!
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page