Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 745 Old 04-12-2010, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

If I had to, I'd guess Sony must have been 'advised' that adding the [Sony proprietary] SDDS layout into BluRay would have been a fatal mistake. But BD has 'won the war' and we are now looking at 'alternate' 7.1 speaker layouts -- with content both upmixed from 5.1 and (at least theoretically) 7.1 discrete -- it might be interesting to have 'home SDDS' as a speaker layout option (presumably using remapping algorithms similar to those employed by DTS-HDMA, when so required...)

Using 5 screen channels like the old 70mm format is a waste for the home. No one has a big enough screen in their home to take advantage of it. Plus there is no software that has 5 discrete screen channels for home video.

The only difference between TS3's 7.1 mix on BD and all other 7.1 mixes on BD is that it will be specifically mixed for 7.1 and not a 5.1 to 7.1 remix as happens now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 745 Old 04-12-2010, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Using 5 screen channels like the old 70mm format is a waste for the home. No one has a big enough screen in their home to take advantage of it. Plus there is no software that has 5 discrete screen channels for home video.

I guess NHK's strategy with SHV is that it's better to start with 5 discrete front channels, and then mix down for playback on systems with only 3 front speakers. That way, the same SHV signal can be used as source with either a large, high resolution, "120 deg. wide" display, or scaled down for a [current 1080] HDMI display. Obligatory 3D comment: Is there ever any reason we might want the surround sound playback from the 2D and 3D versions of a movie to be different? (e.g., would it make sense to have a different front-to-back mix to "match" the difference in the "depth" of each version?)

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #183 of 745 Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:

I guess NHK's strategy with SHV is that it's better to start with 5 discrete front channels, and then mix down for playback on systems with only 3 front speakers. That way, the same SHV signal can be used as source with either a large, high resolution, "120 deg. wide" display, or scaled down for a [current 1080] HDMI display. Obligatory 3D comment: Is there ever any reason we might want the surround sound playback from the 2D and 3D versions of a movie to be different? (e.g., would it make sense to have a different front-to-back mix to "match" the difference in the "depth" of each version?)

You do understand that NHK = Japan and that is they ever bring out SHV, it may never go further than Japan.
post #184 of 745 Old 04-12-2010, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You do understand that NHK = Japan and that is they ever bring out SHV, . . .

Yes. If I'm not mistaken, NHK did a [ground-space-ground] live transmission test of satellite-to-home broadcasting technology in mid 2009 (but, apparently, the error correction algorithms are having problems with interference from rain!) I saw some references to starting test broadcasts in 2015-2017.

Quote:

. . . it may never go further than Japan.

There are a bunch of industry and econometrics forecasts for 5% household penetration in Europe in around 2022, rising to near 30% in 2025, presumably based on the existing involvement of the BBC, RAI (Italy), and other industry players (plus the European Broadcasting Union, in some capacity.)

Obviously 2020 is decade away (and much can change in that decade!), but the CEMs are going to need more 'next big things' every few years, and [to me!] BigScreen+HighResolution+2D/3D seems like an obvious way to go...?!

Of course, I'm admittedly biased: Although I'll probably continue to use [just] 24" 1080 downrezz'd displays (for now), I am looking forward to 22.2 channel discrete audio [provided NHK can get high quality adaptive downmixes to work with something like 10+ speakers...?! ]

"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #185 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Personally, I think that 3 speakers in the front is by far the biggest limitation still existing in reproduction of "true" sound quality, especially for orchestral music. It is not possible with just 3 front speakers to capture the width of sound produced by an orchestra stretched across a stage as exists in real life. I would love to hear, for example, basses on the far right, violas and woodwinds in the center and violins stretching from the center to the far left. Even though I have speakers with wide dispersion and and SDA effect (Polk SDA2A), I still do not get the width of sound that I hear in live performances.

fafner
post #186 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

Personally, I think that 3 speakers in the front is by far the biggest limitation still existing in reproduction of "true" sound quality, especially for orchestral music. It is not possible with just 3 front speakers to capture the width of sound produced by an orchestra stretched across a stage as exists in real life. I would love to hear, for example, basses on the far right, violas and woodwinds in the center and violins stretching from the center to the far left. Even though I have speakers with wide dispersion and and SDA effect (Polk SDA2A), I still do not get the width of sound that I hear in live performances.

fafner

Have you looked into Audyssey DSX, with its additional width channels?
Link.

I haven't heard it personally, but it seems like an interesting concept, especially for larger rooms.
post #187 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post

Link.

I haven't heard it personally, but it seems like an interesting concept, especially for larger rooms.

Thank you. No I had not heard of Audyssey DSX but it does sound very interesting and I will look for more information on it.

Separately, my receiver has the option to have two sets of surround speakers but with both receiving the same signals. I have wondered if I could get closer to the effect I want by adding a pair of speakers between my fronts and surrounds thus possibly adding width. Do you happen to know of anyone who has experimented with such a setting and what they thought of it? Thanks again.

fafner
post #188 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

...Do you happen to know of anyone who has experimented with such a setting and what they thought of it?...

There is a guy on blu-ray.com that has a 14.5 speaker setup! That's where I first heard about Audyssey DSX. He might be able to answer any questions you might have.
post #189 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:

The only difference between TS3's 7.1 mix on BD and all other 7.1 mixes on BD is that it will be specifically mixed for 7.1 and not a 5.1 to 7.1 remix as happens now.

Good thing! Gone are the giant, legendary 70mm screens of yore that could utilize 5 behind the screen channels. At most multiplexes, at least in my neck of the woods, you're lucky to get something more than an over-sized front projection home theater system!!

I'm glad to see somebody is bringing true 7.1 mixes into the commercial mainstream... After New Line was gobbled back up by WHV, 7.1 mixes, albeit conversions from 5.1 stems (some were quite good, however, if the music and effects stems were sufficiently spread into multiple multi-channel tracks), became few and far between.

Having been in a couple theater projection booths I would think rewiring most modern auditoriums' back speaker arrays into left and right stereo splits would be fairly easy, though a little time consuming. I would think robust digital cinema hardware would already have the capability of 8 channels built in (or easily software updated).

Recommended 7.1 home layout. DTS and Dolby (according to WSR and Roger Dressler, who used to work at Dolby) are trying to make this the defacto industry standard as it gives the over all best audio envelopment:

http://www.dts.com/Consumer_Electron...C5DB3F924.ashx

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #190 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Good thing! Gone are the giant, legendary 70mm screens of yore that could utilize 5 behind the screen channels.

Remember those giant Klipschorn's (Khorn) .. when I worked as an usher as a teen, I would marvel at those things.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #191 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post

Link.

Sorry, we're a little off topic here...

DSX ['Wide' mode] is a post processor that can upmix an existing 5.1 source for (synthetic) "7.1 Front Wide" speaker configuration playback. The recently announced Pioneer VSX-1020-K and VSX-1120-K AVRs include a "Pioneer Proprietary Front Wide Mode" which is presumably intended to perform a similar function (no reviews available for that feature yet). However, for several years the DTS-HDMA system has provided the capability to author and playback BDs in fully discrete 7.1 Front Wide speaker configuration (the speaker placement is 'identical' to that used with DSX Wide mode). For playback on a (say) 7.1 Standard Speaker configuration playback layout, a compliant DTS-HDMA decoder is supposed to effect an "as-required" 'remapping' step to resolve the differences between the 'authoring' and 'playback' speaker configurations; this allows any 7.1 layout to playback a 7.1 Front Wide recording.

My thought is that concerts authored for BD in DTS-HDMA should all have been authored in 7.1 Front Wide speaker configuration for 'closest to original' quality in the hope that someday the AVR manufacturers would support discrete 7.1 Front Wide playback (at least for DTS-HDMA BDs). However, even though DSX has 'popularized' the 7.1 Front Wide speaker configuration, there is no indication that CEMs plan AVRs with DTS-HDMA decoders offering 7.1 Front Wide speaker configuration as a playback layout for 7.1 discrete content (even as a option/alternative) . . . and there are still no [concert, etc.] 7.1 discrete BDs authored in DTS-HDMA 7.1 Front Wide to take best advantage of it...?!

Nonetheless, the existing 7.1 Front Wide speaker layouts all 'revolve around' the speakers 'defined' by SMPTE 428M, which we might think of as being '5.1 Standard speaker layout, plus extensions'. The speaker configurations contemplated by SMPTE 2036 (etc.) for the next few decades 'with bigger screens' offer the possibility of five front speakers across the screen (like SDDS), with (defined) locations for a pair of Front Wide speakers beyond the edges of the screen (e.g., 'draft' "IEC General Channel Assignment Of Multichannel Audio" model, although it seems very unlikely we'd ever want to use all possible speakers on any one playback layout! ).

And the big winners are . . . the amp and speaker manufacturers...?!

post #192 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good thing! Gone are the giant, legendary 70mm screens of yore that could utilize 5 behind the screen channels. . .

. . . But if the CEMs get their way, there will be giant screens in everybody's living room within the next 10 or so years . . . with 70" to 100" deemed 'appropriate' for most homes and up to 200" for 'serious' viewers (and a 200" set has an 8' tall screen...!!!!) And 3D that size will certainly 'replicate the theater experience'!

I guess 'the video wall' is coming whether we want it or not...!

post #193 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:

. . . But if the CEMs get their way, there will be giant screens in everybody's living room within the next 10 or so years . . . with 70" to 100" deemed 'appropriate' for most homes and up to 200" for 'serious' viewers (and a 200" set has an 8' tall screen...!!!!) And 3D that size will certainly 'replicate the theater experience'!

Can't wait. It would be nice if OLED was developed so we could just paste our screens up like wallpaper. I want my own Holo Deck.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #194 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Can't wait. It would be nice if OLED was developed so we could just paste our screens up like wallpaper. I want my own Holo Deck.

Don't get too attached to full-wall-sized tv: Each 'generational advance' happens at around 20 to 30 years! But it looks like 'the next size up after SHV' for displays will be too big for our living rooms . . . so maybe it will just have to fit inside our heads...?!

post #195 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Speaking of OLED (and 3D):

LG's 15" AMOLED panel used in a professional 3D monitor

Quote:

We just learned that VLogic has unveiled a new professional 3D monitor - the TDM-150W. It uses a 15" AMOLED panel, which is the same one as used in LG's EL9500 OLED TV (it has the same specs: 1366x768 and 100,000:1 contras ratio). It's great to hear that LG are also offering the 15" panel for other products.

http://www.oled-info.com/lgs-15-amol...nal-3d-monitor
post #196 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscboy View Post

Life is 3D in case you haven't realized that yet.

Yes, but life is true 3D, as opposed to the Stereoscopic (S3D) images provided by 3DTV and 3D film. In the former, there are infinite differences in the distance from our eyes to the objects of interest, generating truly spacial images. In the latter, the images are derived from just two points of reference.

While 3D film and 3DTV may generate some interesting effects, it cannot be compared to true 3D. The only technology capable of generating true 3D images is holography.

Be seeing you!
post #197 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

The only technology capable of generating true 3D images is holography.

Don't you still get vergence-accommodation issues viewing these [if I'm not mistaken, still mostly theoretical!] 'Hollywood movie' holograms -- when you look 'though' and "out the other side" in some scene that purports to exceed the [native space] dimensions of the hologram? (unless there some kind of pseudo refractive effect or space-time bending to compensate...? )

post #198 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree that holography is not perfect, but its spacial qualities are superior to the "layers of flat images" that Stereoscopy tends to provide. Perhaps someday, laser holography will be perfected and we will have true 3D media.

Be seeing you!
post #199 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 03:54 PM

If you don't want it, don't buy it. Otherwise, its the only way to stop the TV price freefall for the CE companies.
post #200 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzpro5 View Post

Interesting - TV's will now come with a health warning and oh yeah don't let your young kids watch any 3D material.

http://www.samsung.com/au/3d-tv/warning.html

That's hilarious! My favorites are:

"• Pregnant women, the elderly, sufferers of serious medical conditions, those who are sleep deprived or under the influence of alcohol should avoid utilising the unit’s 3D functionality." - "You're too (pregnant, old, sick, tired, drunk) to watch that show in 3D"

"•If you experience any of the following symptoms, stop viewing 3D pictures immediately and consult a medical specialist:
1.altered vision;
2.lightheadedness;
3.dizziness;
4.involuntary movements such as eye or muscle twitching;
5.confusion;
6.nausea;
7.convulsions;
8.cramps; and/ or
9.disorientation.
" - "Doctor, I just watched Piranha 3D"

"It is recommended that users take frequent breaks to lessen the potential of these effects." - Theaters will have to return to intermissions.

"•Viewing in 3D may cause disorientation for some viewers. Accordingly, DO NOT place your TV television near open stairwells, cables, balconies, or other objects that can be tripped over, run into, knocked down, broken or fallen over. " - Think of the slapstick comedy implications of that statement.

Be seeing you!
post #201 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:

Trouble is: you'll be lucky to get 4kx2k (Sony digital cinema grade... that's if the digital file was rendered at 4k and not upconverted from 2k) in a consumer product. You can't download it with current broadband infrastructure with any passable quality, and you'll need quite the disc capacity and bitrate to contain it (plus doing the inevitable 3D version), especially if they finally move past 8 bit consumer colorspacing. You'll practically need to wear cotton gloves because of the pit density issues. Blu-ray is bad enough with smudges and fingerprints. Hell, the studios can't even deliver true 1920x1080p without transfer and mastering and compression concerns on regular Blu-ray!

Even if we could get passed all those hurdles, you remember just how crazy the fight to even get Blu-ray was? The studios and the CE industry never learn. And PPV downloads are what they've always been itching for irrespective of A/V quality.

Now, what if James Cameron got his way and they started using 48 fps? 4k at 48 fps would be spectacular, but the data file size would be quite big if you don't want gobs of compression wrecking everything and adding 10 channel, 24 bit lossless audio or the like.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #202 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Trouble is: you'll be lucky to get 4kx2k (Sony digital cinema grade... that's if the digital file was rendered at 4k and not upconverted from 2k) in a consumer product. You can't download it with current broadband infrastructure with any passable quality, and you'll need quite the disc capacity and bitrate to contain it (plus doing the inevitable 3D version). You'll practically need to wear cotton gloves because of the pit density issues. Blu-ray is bad enough with smudges and fingerprints. Hell, the studios can't even deliver true 1920x1080p without transfer and mastering and compression concerns on regular Blu-ray!

Even if we could get passed all those hurdles, you remember just how crazy the fight to even get Blu-ray was? The studios and the CE industry never learn. And PPV downloads are what they've always been itching for irrespective of A/V quality.

There are already a handful of 8k4k cameras in existence and being used for testing.

In 2009, some Direct Broadcast Satellite trials of 3 channel 7680x4320 transmission were performed (apparently there were problems with reception when it rained! )

4th Generation Optical Disks with capacities in the 200GB to 1000GB range are already under development for data storage purposes.

I'm pretty sure to-home broadband can be stepped up to the required download speeds...?

To me, this all sounds just like the implementation issues that existed with HDMI/HDTV/BD around 10 to 15 years ago...?!

post #203 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

Yes, but life is true 3D, as opposed to the Stereoscopic (S3D) images provided by 3DTV and 3D film. In the former, there are infinite differences in the distance from our eyes to the objects of interest, generating truly spacial images. In the latter, the images are derived from just two points of reference.

While 3D film and 3DTV may generate some interesting effects, it cannot be compared to true 3D. The only technology capable of generating true 3D images is holography.

Human depth perception depends on many visual cues, not just parallax, which is what 3D video is solely dependent on.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #204 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

There are already a handful of 8k4k cameras in existence and being used for testing.

In 2009, some Direct Broadcast Satellite trials of 3 channel 7680x4320 transmission were performed (apparently there were problems with reception when it rained! )

4th Generation Optical Disks with capacities in the 200GB to 1000GB range are already under development for data storage purposes.

I'm pretty sure to-home broadband can be stepped up to the required download speeds...?

To me, this all sounds just like the implementation issues that existed with HDMI/HDTV/BD around 10 to 15 years ago...?!

Correct.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #205 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Human depth perception depends on many visual cues, not just parallax, which is what 3D video is solely dependent on.

The two [other visual cues] most noticeable to me are: 'Inconsistent' focus/depth of field sensations, which seems to exacerbate vergence-accommodation issues (and I think might affect older people more...?), and also 2nd order (small motion interaction with) parallax discrepancies [in the real world, your POV moves slightly 'all the time', so there are subtle change to the parallax "detail" you see from objects; in a current-technology, flat-screen 3D movie there are no 'near trivial' changes in perspective consequent to minor head motion, and the 'solidity' of nominally 3D objects becomes questionable!]

post #206 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineteen70 View Post

I was in a furniture store today and they had the movie up on it looked really good in 1080. Now I asked myself will 3d make it look that much better and my answer was no. Now the other question I ask myself is that would I like to watch sports in 3D yes and after going to the movies and seeing 3d on a huge screen and having a projector setup myself why would I want to watch 3d on a 46" lcd or plasma so like serialmike said yes and no.

Well, 3D movies are filmed with that feature in mind.
And ditto for 2D. So the plot and direction, special effects etc...will be different for both formats to get the best results from each.

Personally, I will have to suspend my judgement. I did not think Avatar was outstanding and neither was the movie I saw on display at Fry's. But it was after Fry's that I learned that I have a cataract in my right eye and it's hard to see 3D properly when you are technically blind in one eye .

I'll watch it again after I get my vision fixed.
post #207 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumperZ06 View Post

BINGO

IMO... sports broadcasts will drive the acceptance of 3D TV...

to the general public.

Why would anyone have any desire to watch sports in 3D? For some cheap thrills making it look like a homerun is flying out of your TV and into your living room? I mean, really... I hear everyone saying sports will make 3D technology shine. Why? What would be so special and or cool a bout watching sports in 3D that 3D movies wouldn't already have? Will it feel like the players are standing in my living room running around my chair as they round the bases?

End of the day; I just have no desire to wear glasses for 10 hours of TV watching during the day. When there is no glasses 3D I might care, but until then, I don't care how good it looks. I'm not wearing glasses all day long to watch movies and play games. 3D is already DOA to me.

Quote:

Quote:

Trouble is: you'll be lucky to get 4kx2k (Sony digital cinema grade... that's if the digital file was rendered at 4k and not upconverted from 2k) in a consumer product. You can't download it with current broadband infrastructure with any passable quality, and you'll need quite the disc capacity and bitrate to contain it (plus doing the inevitable 3D version), especially if they finally move past 8 bit consumer colorspacing. You'll practically need to wear cotton gloves because of the pit density issues. Blu-ray is bad enough with smudges and fingerprints. Hell, the studios can't even deliver true 1920x1080p without transfer and mastering and compression concerns on regular Blu-ray!

Now, what if James Cameron got his way and they started using 48 fps? 4k at 48 fps would be spectacular, but the data file size would be quite big if you don't want gobs of compression wrecking everything and adding 10 channel, 24 bit lossless audio or the like.

Not to mention, people aren't going to start having 100" screens become the norm in their houses, that will just never happen. People can say all they want about technology moving forward and things being inevitable, but the average person does not have rooms in their house big enough to house a 100"-200" screen, so this high-resolution will never become the norm for in-home viewing.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #208 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

Why would anyone have any desire to watch sports in 3D? For some cheap thrills making it look like a homerun is flying out of your TV and into your living room? I mean, really... I hear everyone saying sports will make 3D technology shine. Why? What would be so special and or cool a bout watching sports in 3D that 3D movies wouldn't already have? Will it feel like the players are standing in my living room running around my chair as they round the bases?

LOL! That is NOT what you see when you watch sports in 3D. It is like you are right at the edge of the basketball court/baseball infield/racetrack.

3D is no longer for having things pop out of the screen. Guess you didn't see AVATAR did you?

Quote:

End of the day; I just have no desire to wear glasses for 10 hours of TV watching during the day. When there is no glasses 3D I might care, but until then, I don't care how good it looks. I'm not wearing glasses all day long to watch movies and play games. 3D is already DOA to me.

10 hours? We will be lucky to get 3 hours.

But, it sounds like 3D just isn't for you. That's OK. Others will enjoy what you don't.

Quote:

Not to mention, people aren't going to start having 100" screens become the norm in their houses, that will just never happen. People can say all they want about technology moving forward and things being inevitable, but the average person does not have rooms in their house big enough to house a 100"-200" screen, so this high-resolution will never become the norm for in-home viewing.

Super Hi Vision is decades away. No telling how the home theater market will change in that long a time period.

Not too long ago, most people had a 27" display.
post #209 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

LOL! That is NOT what you see when you watch sports in 3D. It is like you are right at the edge of the basketball court/baseball infield/racetrack.

3D is no longer for having things pop out of the screen. Guess you didn't see AVATAR did you?

10 hours? We will be lucky to get 3 hours.

But, it sounds like 3D just isn't for you. That's OK. Others will enjoy what you don't.

Super Hi Vision is decades away. No telling how the home theater market will change in that long a time period.

Not too long ago, most people had a 27" display.

Well, I was being a little sarcastic with the balls flying into the living room comment. LOL! I just don't see the desire to feel like I'm at the game, if I want that, I'll go to one. LOL! As far as the 10 hour thing, well, I only bring that up because a lot of people think 3D is going to be everything, all the time sooner or later, and I just can't imagine wearing glasses all the damn time.

And while I'm certain that the home theater market will change a lot over the next 20 years, that won't change the fact that most people won't have adequate seating space or the right viewing distances for 100+ inch screens in their house, other than the rich folk with huge houses and huge rooms.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #210 of 745 Old 04-13-2010, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sports don't show 3D very well, the camera is too far away. Soccer will be a total waste.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page