3D HDTV is the most pointless mainstream technology ever. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It came to my attention today after visiting my local Sony Style store that 3D TV's are the most pointless mainstream technology ever.

How did this happen? When did consumers get on top of rooftops and start screaming for 3D capable TV's in their living room? I don't think that ever actually happened.

It was like one day a bunch of major corporations got together and were like hey we are going to tell the American sheeple they want 3D Tv's. But even the most greedy CEO has to be scratching his head trying to understand how a person would want to willingly wear a heavy pair of heavy glasses for hours at a time. Do you really think you can make it through Lord of the Rings with those things on?

First of all the technology itself is flawed. Have you watched 3D TV demos on LCD's? Were you blown away? Did you feel a revolution on the horizon in how people receive visual media?

My biggest complaint really is that the 3D effect itself looks dinky and cheap. It reminds me of this toy I had when I was a kid. You know the one it was red and you put it up to your face and looked into it. It came with those circular paper discs with slides in them. You put the disc in the top and it had a lever you pull on that would switch to the next image. The 3D effect produced by the top LCD's today is similar to a childs toy from the 1980s.

I really don't understand what everyone is so excited about. I'd rather have a local dimming LED/LCD TV without having to pay a premium for 3D ready, since as far as I know there is no 2010 flagship model minus 3D capability.

3D TV is nothing more than a blatantly engineered marketing gimmick.

Am I wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOOBZ1LLA View Post

It came to my attention today after visiting my local Sony Style store that 3D TV's are the most pointless mainstream technology ever.

How did this happen? When did consumers get on top of rooftops and start screaming for 3D capable TV's in their living room? I don't think that ever actually happened.

It was like one day a bunch of major corporations got together and were like hey we are going to tell the American sheeple they want 3D Tv's. But even the most greedy CEO has to be scratching his head trying to understand how a person would want to willingly wear a heavy pair of heavy glasses for hours at a time. Do you really think you can make it through Lord of the Rings with those things on?

First of all the technology itself is flawed. Have you watched 3D TV demos on LCD's? Were you blown away? Did you feel a revolution on the horizon in how people receive visual media?

My biggest complaint really is that the 3D effect itself looks dinky and cheap. It reminds me of this toy I had when I was a kid. You know the one it was red and you put it up to your face and looked into it. It came with those circular paper discs with slides in them. You put the disc in the top and it had a lever you pull on that would switch to the next image. The 3D effect produced by the top LCD's today is similar to a childs toy from the 1980s.

I really don't understand what everyone is so excited about. I'd rather have a local dimming LED/LCD TV without having to pay a premium for 3D ready, since as far as I know there is no 2010 flagship model minus 3D capability.

Am I wrong?

Yes
post #3 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Am I wrong?

yes and no. your right current 3d is crude. It is supposed to be no glasses in the "future"
post #4 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 05:00 PM

You should know that Sony's 3D LCD TVs are considered to be the worst ones.

Sony is dead.
post #5 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy bear View Post

You should know that Sony's 3D LCD TVs are considered to be the worst ones.

By whom?
post #6 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 View Post

By whom?

Some Japanese websites and hdguru.

Just one of them (Translated from Japanese)
http://translate.google.com/translat...ml&sl=ja&tl=en

Sony is dead.
post #7 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Am I wrong?

Hear about the greatest grossing movie of all time Avatar, I think that has a lot to do with the direction of HD TVs and 3D. Sports programming will soon follow.
post #8 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

I agree for the most part. 3D is going to be a gimmick until it can be viewed without glasses.
post #9 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Am I wrong?

No.
post #10 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 06:28 PM

post #11 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Dude Avatar was shot with 3d in mind. They used special cameras to shoot the movie. Most movies are not shot in this way, much less most television shows.

I didn't know that 2D wasn't enough for everyone.
post #12 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 06:46 PM

I haven't seen one of these televisions myself, but I don't like the idea of 3D televisions. I just don't see the point in it. Maybe as a niche market, but definitely not something as common as it is today.
post #13 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 06:48 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:

as far as I know there is no 2010 flagship model minus 3D capability.

That is what bothers me. I am in the market to buy a new TV to replace my 6 year old 50" Pioneer Elite plasma but I have zero interest in 3D. So what to do? Bite the bullet and pay for something I will never use?
post #14 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:

Am I wrong?

Nope, your completely right. And if people really think they need a new tv, the manufacturers just gave them a reason to pony up for one........... Instead, why don't they just make a set without problems?????. Now, they are going to create a whole new set for us to deal with...............yes, I'm bitter.
post #15 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSony View Post

Hear about the greatest grossing movie of all time Avatar, I think that has a lot to do with the direction of HD TVs and 3D. Sports programming will soon follow.

It's funny that you mentioned sports programming..........and you are right about that. However, during the Cowboys/Chargers game this past season, they showed fans at Texas Stadium game in 3D. I guess this is the technology that is going to change how we view sports......... 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter, people started moaning and taking off their glasses. If this is the attention span with 3D and 80,000 people, I hope it gets a whole lot better or interesting.......because this was NOT a good sign. I myself don't like 3D. I saw Avatar in it and I was sick....so count me out as a person who will buy one.
post #16 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 07:03 PM

I was in a furniture store today and they had the movie up on it looked really good in 1080. Now I asked myself will 3d make it look that much better and my answer was no. Now the other question I ask myself is that would I like to watch sports in 3D yes and after going to the movies and seeing 3d on a huge screen and having a projector setup myself why would I want to watch 3d on a 46" lcd or plasma so like serialmike said yes and no.
post #17 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 07:13 PM

I love 3D and can't wait to get a new 3DTV .
post #18 of 745 Old 04-05-2010, 11:36 PM

3-D started in the 50's, made a comeback in the 80's and here it is again for another shot. My opinion is that it has a chance of becoming popular with the gaming folks. It is a totally different experience when playing a video game as opposed to the "jump out at you" effects that are purposely added to 3-D movies. We'll see where it goes. If you don't care for 3-D nobody is going to force you to buy it.

There will be high-end models introduced this year with local dimming and, yes, they will have 3-D capability. The nice thing is that if you don't want to see 3-D you simply don't use the feature. Without 3-D you will have a local dimming 240HZ panel. With 3-D you select a 3-D source, put on the glasses and enjoy dual 120HZ video.

Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do.
post #19 of 745 Old 04-06-2010, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, but you have to admit that people who wear those glasses playing games look pretty dumb and aren't going to be attracting the opposite sex very much.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #20 of 745 Old 04-06-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:

Dude Avatar was shot with 3d in mind. They used special cameras to shoot the movie. Most movies are not shot in this way, much less most television shows.

I didn't know that 2D wasn't enough for everyone.

And you don't think that other directors and movies studios will be following suit given the smashing fiscal success of Avatar?

Welcome back to reality. This world is driven by the almighty dollar, and success breeds a copycat syndrome.
post #21 of 745 Old 04-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Advanced Member

Here at the forum, we're always telling each other not to judge a TV's picture quality "in-store" conditions, yet people are doing exactly that with 3D. They are spending 5 minutes with demo material in-store... and making up their minds. We are not following our own advice.

The only people who can really judge the quality of 3D at home... are people that have 3D at home.

And it seems the majority of people I see putting-down or insulting 3D... do not have a 3D television at home.

One day at a time...
post #22 of 745 Old 04-06-2010, 04:44 AM

I think the new 3-D technology it's amazing but it should stay in the theaters, no HDTV at home will match watching AVATAR on IMAX 3D
post #23 of 745 Old 04-06-2010, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

Yeah, but you have to admit that people who wear those glasses playing games look pretty dumb and aren't going to be attracting the opposite sex very much.

or the same sex for thatg matter
post #24 of 745 Old 04-06-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
IMO,

3D won't work so long as glasses are needed to experience it and the standard viewing TV size is used. For 3D to work, it must be viewable by the naked eye AND completely fill the field of vision of the viewer. Without both of those factors fulfilled, you can't make 3D work at home. The big reason 3D is working at the movie theaters is, well it's BIG. The screen fills your entire view and there are no other things going on to distract you.

History shows that 3D has always been treated as a passing fancy. A fad. Like bell-bottom jeans, polyester button shirts, platform shoes, you also can group "movies in 3D". I say today is no different.
post #25 of 745 Old 04-06-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

Wow! What a limited statement to make. So folks wearing glasses and playing games are worried about how they look. I can see someone saying, "let me hurry up and finish this game before a fine lady comes in." Your statement sounds so cavemanish.
post #26 of 745 Old 04-06-2010, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

3D HDTV's....Breaking the American sheeple since Avatar came out!
post #27 of 745 Old 04-06-2010, 06:51 AM

As I mentioned in one of the other threads; what annoys me about 3D is that all the money and time spent on it should instead be going towards getting zero input lag and CRT-level SD.

Fix existing problems before introducing new ones.
post #28 of 745 Old 04-06-2010, 07:12 AM

I'll reserve comment for a few years. If it is a gimmick, it will die a fast death. If it is not, then 2nd and 3rd generations of 3D should be FAR better than what is in the stores this year.

I would not pay one cent extra for it at this point. I can't see paying a premium for 1st gen technology and virtually no native source content (though there will be lots of quasi-postprocessed 3d). That would be like paying for 1080p in 2005 to look at upconverted 480i.

Given the slow uptake of 1080p, given that a lot of local broadcasts STILL don't use HD cameras, I can't see a lot of non-hollywood productions moving to 3D setups for MANY years.
post #29 of 745 Old 04-06-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Phillips View Post

As I mentioned in one of the other threads; what annoys me about 3D is that all the money and time spent on it should instead be going towards getting zero input lag and CRT-level SD.

Fix existing problems before introducing new ones.

BINGO. Lets all say it together: "PERFECT BACK LIGHTING: ZERO CLOUDING OR FLASHLIGHT DEFECTS IS THE GOAL".
post #30 of 745 Old 04-06-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Am I wrong?

Look! I have seen Samsung 3D display, Sony 3D (?) Display in Sony style and i also saw Panasonic 3D display.

Check all of them first and please make sure when you go to your local BestBuy store is to make sure you check for pop out factor and depth in the picture. SOME BESTBUYS have the wrong setup!! I have witnessed that my experience seeing both Samsung and Panasonic 3D display for first time i had terrible experience because the glasses weren't working properly so make sure that both 3D glasses are turned on and check with BB salesman to see if the 3D material that being displayed in TV that are in 3D mode, because it could be 2D - 3D conversion that is going on and that ruin your experience!!! Because it will NOT BE true 3D experience anyway.

Now to the important point, I have visited Sony Style store and they had a demo of a game and Soccer match in 3D but here is the thing, they had the TV hooked up to ps3 slim so i asked the salesman, I told him is that the updated ps3 slim? Because we all know that right after the update the ps3 slim/phat should be 3D player or able to play 3D just fine. To my surprise he said no, IT'S NOT UPDATED and therefore they're using ps3 slim 2D blu ray player to play 3D blu ray disc so what you're seeing is 2D - 3D conversion and not a true 3D because the blu ray have to be 3D player as well and trust me i didn't like what i seen, conversion is fine but i felt that Samsung and Panasonic had a better or a true 3D experience. Samsung 3D TV were hooked to 3D blu ray player running 3D blu ray player disc and movie was MONSTERS VS. ALIENS in the demo and trust me, there are 3D effects, there were some scenes that they were popping out of the screen, like the gun scene!! I never seen any popping out effect in Sony 3D in Sony style store.

So again, try to give another try to see a demo in a proper way and come back and tell us if the experience remains the same. I have helped some folks in the forum and some made claimed that they didn't notice any 3D effect and how 3D truly sucks, i suggested to them to go back and check it again and they had positive feedback in the 2nd try.

3D is new tech, just like anything comes new, it has it's problems but in couple years it should get better, just like Blu rays now. We can't attack a new tech when it is the true 1st year in production and broadcasting are going in 3D for people to watch at home, like ESPN 3D and another channel in the way too.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page