3D Bluray Release Information - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 70 Old 04-07-2010, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Based on what I've gathered from my limited research, here is what is going on as it relates to 3D Bluray releases AFAIK:

UPDATE (5/23/10):

FINALLY, the VERY FIRST NON-EXCLUSIVE 3D-BD has been officially announced.

A CHRISTMAS CAROL 3D-BD will be released on Nov. 16th. It will NOT be tied to any hardware purchase.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4652

Samsung Exclusives:

Monsters vs Aliens - Part of Samsung's "3D Starter Kit," which includes 2 pair of shutter glasses and this title. AVAILABLE NOW, but not for individual sale (except maybe on Ebay).

The Shrek Series 1 thru 4 3D - first 3 are being rerendered in 3D, 4th will be a 3D movie (released in theaters May 21st). "As a promotional tool, Samsung will have an exclusive on the 3D Blu-ray versions of all four "Shrek" movies later this year for a full year" - No release date, and not for individual sale.

UPDATE (4/19/10): It seems as it will take at least 18 months to do the 2D-3D conversion for these, so it will be a while before we see them!

Panasonic Exclusives:

Ice Age; Dawn Of The Dinosaurs 3D - exclusive title with Panasonic. Buy a Panasonic TV, and it will be mailed to you. Not for individual sale.

Coraline 3D - exclusive title with Panasonic. Buy a Panasonic TV, and it will be mailed to you. Not for individual sale.

Lee has recently heard a rumor that when the DMP-BDT350 is released this month, instead of including the 3D BD demo disc, which is included in the BDT300, it will include Ice Age 3, the 3D BD instead. He has gotten no verification of this.

UPDATE (4/19/10): Word has it that IA3 will be a Panasonic exclusive until March 2011, while Coraline will be exclusive until Sept. 2010. It seems as though a voucher will be given with purchase of the appropriate Panasonic TV good toward redemption of either title, which implies that the Coraline will be true 3D.

UPDATE (5/23/10):
It now appears that AVATAR 3DBD will be available by November 2010 as a Panasonic Exclusive!

Sony Exclusives:

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 3D - exclusive with Sony 3DTV's which don't appear until around June 10th. Sale status - unknown

UPDATE (4/15): An general release (i.e., not exclusive with Sony) has been announced for:
June 1st ... in Germany!!
June 14 ... in the UK!!

US release still uncertain and may still be tethered to a Sony hardware purchase (which may also include the 3DBD of Deep Sea IMAX 3D)

UPDATE (5/23/2010):
Alice in Wonderland will likely be released in 3DBD tied to a Sony purchase.

Others

Toy Story 3D - announced by Disney at CES - to follow above (Nov. 9??)

Disclaimer: I have no personal/insider knowledge of any of this. However, I hope that those who do will update this information as it becomes available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 04-08-2010, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

update:

According to
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/s...0-3d-broadcas/

There will be a 3D Bluray of the 2010 FIFA World Cup released this year, presumably after the World Cup.
post #3 of 70 Old 04-08-2010, 01:20 PM

Liked: 12
I wonder how much it costs to produce a 3D blu ray. Every 'catalog' 3D movie is a must release for blu ray.
http://www.3dmovielist.com/list.html

Paint misbehavin is one Id love to see at home.
post #4 of 70 Old 04-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjLancer View Post

...Paint misbehavin is one Id love to see at home.

That was an enjoyable short. I saw it with Santa vs. the Snowman.
post #5 of 70 Old 04-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjLancer View Post

http://www.3dmovielist.com/list.html

Interestingly, that site (The Illustrated 3D Move List) lists a release date of Nov. 9 for Toy Story 3 and Nov. 16 for A Christmas Carol on 3DBD.

Do they know something the rest of us don't?
post #6 of 70 Old 04-08-2010, 02:38 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post

Interestingly, that site (The Illustrated 3D Move List) lists a release date of Nov. 9 for Toy Story 3 and Nov. 16 for A Christmas Carol on 3DBD.

No formal announcements made that I can find. just the CES announcement
post #7 of 70 Old 04-08-2010, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I added these "dates" to the first post (along with the corresponding "??"). If anyone can confirm or refute this information, please let us know.
post #8 of 70 Old 04-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

I have read so many press releases touching on this subject that I am not sure of which company spokesman/CEO said it, but it was reported that by the end of the year there would be approximately 70 3D Blu-ray DVDs available. (To the best of my recollection it was a CEO of either LG or Samsung so maybe 60 of those 70 titles will be Korean. )
post #9 of 70 Old 04-09-2010, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV View Post

I have read so many press releases touching on this subject that I am not sure of which company spokesman/CEO said it, but it was reported that by the end of the year there would be approximately 70 3D Blu-ray DVDs available. (To the best of my recollection it was a CEO of either LG or Samsung so maybe 60 of those 70 titles will be Korean. )

That would be some feat! Especially considering the fact that between the 1920s and now there have been only around 300 or so 3D films exhibited theatrically. So...a quarter of those available by the end of the year? Yeah right.

Of course the spokesperson may have been thinking of non-theatrical content. But still...70? I'd be happy with a dozen or so. Especially if they could have Polar Express ready in time for the holidays!
post #10 of 70 Old 04-09-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

That would be some feat! Especially considering the fact that between the 1920s and now there have been only around 300 or so 3D films exhibited theatrically. So...a quarter of those available by the end of the year? Yeah right.

Of course the spokesperson may have been thinking of non-theatrical content. But still...70? I'd be happy with a dozen or so. Especially if they could have Polar Express ready in time for the holidays!

Panasonic said around Christmas that they could have about 30 movies out a launch. What happened to that is anyone's guess. I didn't expect to be flooded with movies but I'll give it till around June to look for more titles to be at least announced.
post #11 of 70 Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Panasonic said around Christmas that they could have about 30 movies out a launch. What happened to that is anyone's guess. I didn't expect to be flooded with movies but I'll give it till around June to look for more titles to be at least announced.

With the exception of Sony, CEMs aren't in the business of providing content. They are in the business of selling hardware, and they're not going to sell anything if their customers are fearful that there won't be anything to watch. So it's not surprising that they espouse optimism about how many 3D titles there are going to be by year's end. I've heard all kinds of numbers from the CEMs (30, 70, 86), but none from the studios who will actually be producing the discs.
post #12 of 70 Old 04-09-2010, 09:31 AM

I would be surprised if by the end of 2010, there were a dozen 3D BDs for sale to the public.
post #13 of 70 Old 04-09-2010, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

I would be surprised if by the end of 2010, there were a dozen 3D BDs for sale to the public.

I think it's realistic to expect about 5 by the Christmas shopping season. Anything more than that would be a pleasant surprise.

Assuming the 3D Avatar release next year is successful, that will likely open the flood gates.
post #14 of 70 Old 04-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deArgila View Post

I added these "dates" to the first post (along with the corresponding "??"). If anyone can confirm or refute this information, please let us know.

It looks like the 11/16/10 date for A Christmas Carol comes from the DisneyDVD site: link

Look under the Additional Details section. This date might apply only to the 2D DVD release. Who knows?

I couldn't find a similar page for Toy Story 3.
post #15 of 70 Old 04-09-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:

I think it's realistic to expect about 5 by the Christmas shopping season. Anything more than that would be a pleasant surprise.

But will they be 3D movies? 2 could be the Sony FIFA highlights 3D BD and the Disney 3D Showcase 3D BD.

Quote:

Assuming the 3D Avatar release next year is successful, that will likely open the flood gates.

But when in 2011? Could be Q4 2011 for all we know.
post #16 of 70 Old 04-09-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
While you're waiting for releases, you can watch everything in 3D with 2D to 3D conversion capable 3D TVs. No need to wait. I have one, really, no need to wait.
post #17 of 70 Old 04-09-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

But will they be 3D movies? 2 could be the Sony FIFA highlights 3D BD and the Disney 3D Showcase 3D BD.

But when in 2011? Could be Q4 2011 for all we know.

Of course, we'll have to wait and see - but I think it's realistic to see:

1. Monsters v. Aliens (exclusive)
2. Ice Age 3
3. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
4. Christmas Carol
5. Toy Story 3

Depending on what titles are exclusive, the average 3D enthusiast might only acquire 3 of those titles (the last two + the exclusive of their choice). I have no doubt, however, there would be plenty of people with all 5.

Again, it's wait and see.
post #18 of 70 Old 04-09-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:

Of course, we'll have to wait and see - but I'm think it's realistic to see:

1. Monsters v. Aliens (exclusive)
2. Ice Age 3
3. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
4. Christmas Carol
5. Toy Story 3

Depending on what titles are exclusive, the average 3D enthusiast might only acquire 3 of those titles (the last two + the exclusive of their choice). I have no doubt, however, there would be plenty of people with all 5.

Again, it's wait and see.

Toy Story 3 doesn't get released until June 19th in theaters. It's a safe bet it will remain in theaters for 8 weeks.

And there is zero verification on that date you posted. I have searched extensively with no results. If you look at what was said at CES - it can be interputed as Alice In Wonderland and TS 3 coming in 2011 on 3D BD.
post #19 of 70 Old 04-09-2010, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Toy Story 3 doesn't get released until June 19th in theaters. It's a safe bet it will remain in theaters for 8 weeks.

And there is zero verification on that date you posted. I have searched extensively with no results. If you look at what was said at CES - it can be interputed as Alice In Wonderland and TS 3 coming in 2011 on 3D BD.

Agreed.

Nevertheless, I do think it's at least realistic to think we'll have about 5 movies on 3DBD's to watch by the end of the year, don't you think?
post #20 of 70 Old 04-09-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Agreed.

Nevertheless, I do think it's at least realistic to think we'll have about 5 movies on 3DBD's to watch by the end of the year, don't you think?

Maybe more - which is pathetic when you realize that this is supposed to be a new fomat launch . . . 3D BD.
post #21 of 70 Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Any info on Final Destination 4 on 3D BD? I don't want anaglyph and I haven't even read anything stating Warner Bros. is going to support the 3D BD standard.

This is the single movie that is a must buy for me in 3D. Everything being released is animated kiddie films. While I did enjoy Monsters vs. Aliens, I do not care for most of the others (Toy Story and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs are also good) and I am most looking forward to rewatching FD4. The 3D experience in that film blew me away at the theater.
post #22 of 70 Old 04-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

Any info on Final Destination 4 on 3D BD? I don't want anaglyph and I haven't even read anything stating Warner Bros. is going to support the 3D BD standard.

This is the single movie that is a must buy for me in 3D. Everything being released is animated kiddie films. While I did enjoy Monsters vs. Aliens, I do not care for most of the others (Toy Story and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs are also good) and I am most looking forward to rewatching FD4. The 3D experience in that film blew me away at the theater.

No info on FD4 3D BD. But I did see this:

Quote:

The fourth iteration of FINAL DESTINATION was not all that final! So says Alan Horn. FINAL DESTINATION 5 will be reaping more lives very soon. I am all for this announcement too. There are plenty of folks out there that will speak out against the franchise, but I for one - LOVE them. Bring it on.

http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...-3d-final.html
post #23 of 70 Old 04-10-2010, 03:48 PM

any info on imax 3d blu ray releases coming out? i would love to get a few of the imax docs that are in 3d
post #24 of 70 Old 04-10-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnola View Post

any info on imax 3d blu ray releases coming out? i would love to get a few of the imax docs that are in 3d

Nothing other than IMAX will be one of the partners in next years Discovery 3D Theater channel with Sony and Discovery Communications.
post #25 of 70 Old 04-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for finding the FD info Lee. Hopefully WB comes out of nowhere and releases FD4 on BD this year
post #26 of 70 Old 04-14-2010, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Source.

Ordering info.
post #27 of 70 Old 04-14-2010, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Source.

Ordering info.

Interesting! Hopefully a US release is in the works. I'll update the original post.
post #28 of 70 Old 04-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting! Hopefully a US release is in the works. I'll update the original post.

...and hopefully the US release will be untethered to any hardware bundles!
post #29 of 70 Old 04-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Will the German release be region free, I wonder?
post #30 of 70 Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

Will the German release be region free, I wonder?

I believe the majority of Sony BD releases have been region free. But we won't know for sure until we get insider info or until someone gets a copy and tests it out.

However, they might treat this release differently, especially if there are any plans to bundle it with hardware outside of Region B.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page