Health warnings on tvs - AVS Forum
3D Tech Talk > Health warnings on tvs
taxman48's Avatar taxman48 10:19 AM 04-14-2010
Is Samsung the first to have health warnings on their tvs? They state don't watch if you are pregnant or sleep deprived..Staying up and watching all those 3d BD movies might make u sleep deprived:

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle...iac_study.html

William's Avatar William 11:25 AM 04-14-2010
Warning: May contain peanuts or peanut fragments.

Hughmc's Avatar Hughmc 02:10 AM 04-15-2010
I was curious and here is one interesting video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frjqM...ayer_embedded#!
myron243's Avatar myron243 02:11 PM 04-15-2010
Could that just be CYA by Samsung? It seems Panasonic has no concerns.
DaveFi's Avatar DaveFi 09:54 PM 04-15-2010
They also state if you're drunk not to watch. Geez, you'd think that would be the best time to watch 3D!!!
jrgo43's Avatar jrgo43 12:38 PM 04-19-2010
Lee Stewart's Avatar Lee Stewart 12:41 PM 04-19-2010
Quote:

No website disclosed that in reality, the disclaimer is just an almost verbatim copy of a 2006 Icuiti (pictured above) owner's manual for a totally different product: a stereo microdisplay (glasses with built tiny LCD screen for each eye). Here's the link.

This is hardly a new warning or new information. Similarities between the two issued guidelines can be seen below.

http://www.hdguru3d.com/index.php?op...news&Itemid=59
ssjLancer's Avatar ssjLancer 01:17 PM 04-19-2010
This is getting way too much media coverage. Anyone who plays videogames will also see epileptic and nausea warnings before the start of many games. If it happens it happens.
SPatterson's Avatar SPatterson 11:51 AM 04-22-2010
I agree that the media coverage and stories about this stuff is overload. It's sad that we've become such a litigious society that the warnings on products border on the ridiculous!

Of course a kid's superman cape will not allow him to fly, and who ever thought that using a hair dryer while sleeping would even be considered?

Some of the warnings are pretty standard, but really, when they have to add warnings about not watching a 3D television near an open stairwell or balcony ... doesn't common sense figure in here somewhere?

~Steve
Lee Stewart's Avatar Lee Stewart 01:09 PM 04-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPatterson View Post

I agree that the media coverage and stories about this stuff is overload. It's sad that we've become such a litigious society that the warnings on products border on the ridiculous!

Of course a kid's superman cape will not allow him to fly, and who ever thought that using a hair dryer while sleeping would even be considered?

Some of the warnings are pretty standard, but really, when they have to add warnings about not watching a 3D television near an open stairwell or balcony ... doesn't common sense figure in here somewhere?

~Steve

True story . . .

A man buys a RV to go camping with. While on the road, he sets the cruise control, then proceeds to leave the drivers seat and walks back to the kitchenette to make himself a sandwich. Of course with no one steering the RV, it leaves the road and crashes and the man is injured.

He proceeds to sue the RV manufacturer saying that it doesn't say anything in the owners manual that while the cruise control is engaged, the RV still must be manned at the steering wheel . . .

And a jury agreed with him and found the defendant guilty.
AJSJones's Avatar AJSJones 01:25 PM 04-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Warning: May contain peanuts or peanut fragments.*

May also contain tiny amounts of anything they just developed a super-sensitive test for.

(Now that's CYA )
eecubed's Avatar eecubed 12:19 PM 04-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

Is Samsung the first to have health warnings on their tvs? They state don't watch if you are pregnant or sleep deprived..Staying up and watching all those 3d BD movies might make u sleep deprived:

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle...iac_study.html

More details
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1544226/
SoundChex's Avatar SoundChex 06:35 PM 04-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPatterson View Post

It's almost certainly a lot cheaper to add an additional warning item to a product's instructions than to spend even as little as one hour in court arguing that the consumer 'should have known better' based on "common sense" . . . when the injured consumer's assertion is that by doing the 'dumb thing' they have clearly demonstrated that the CEM failed to adequately foresee the [low!] level of common sense possessed by some customers...?!
SoundChex's Avatar SoundChex 12:35 AM 05-12-2010
I just stumbled over this (30 April, 2010) news item on WHAT HIFI?: Samsung backtracks on the dangers of watching 3D TV.

Quote:

"The warnings were produced by a different department within Samsung and I think they may be a little too scary," says Lee. "We are looking at modifying the warning labels as they do sound rather serious. But as a manufacturer we must always act responsibly when introducing new technology."

Should the fact that Samsung's [corporate] left hand apparently does not know what the [corporate] right hand is doing make me more or less confident about the usefulness of either the old or the new health warnings...?
myron243's Avatar myron243 07:35 AM 05-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

I just stumbled over this (30 April, 2010) news item on WHAT HIFI?: Samsung backtracks on the dangers of watching 3D TV.

Should the fact that Samsung's [corporate] left hand apparently does not know what the [corporate] right hand is doing make me more or less confident about the usefulness of either the old or the new health warnings...?

Think smilin' George Stephawhatsisname on ABC will mention "oops"? Doubt it.
mrjktcvs's Avatar mrjktcvs 09:24 AM 05-31-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

True story . . .

A man buys a RV to go camping with. While on the road, he sets the cruise control, then proceeds to leave the drivers seat and walks back to the kitchenette to make himself a sandwich. Of course with no one steering the RV, it leaves the road and crashes and the man is injured.

He proceeds to sue the RV manufacturer saying that it doesn't say anything in the owners manual that while the cruise control is engaged, the RV still must be manned at the steering wheel . . .

I read an article somewhere recently that was about which 20th century sci-fi flicks were accurate in their portrayal of the future and which ones were way off. It's looking more and more like Idiocracy will be spot-on....

I just mentioned this to my wife. She said that he obviously had 12 of his peers on the jury - 12 idiots.
Lee Stewart's Avatar Lee Stewart 09:45 AM 05-31-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

I read an article somewhere recently that was about which 20th century sci-fi flicks were accurate in their portrayal of the future and which ones were way off. It's looking more and more like Idiocracy will be spot-on....

I just mentioned this to my wife. She said that he obviously had 12 of his peers on the jury - 12 idiots.

No - there is a difference between the spirit of the law and the letter of the law. Common sense goes right out the window when you are talking about the letter of the law.

There are all kinds of lawsuits that are even more "idiotic" than the one I posted, that prove this.

The most famous (AFAIK) is the Mc'Donalds scalding cup of coffee and the woman.
mrjktcvs's Avatar mrjktcvs 10:00 AM 05-31-2010
Quote:

No - there is a difference between the spirit of the law and the letter of the law. Common sense goes right out the window when you are talking about the letter of the law.

There are all kinds of lawsuits that are even more "idiotic" than the one I posted, that prove this.

The most famous (AFAIK) is the Mc'Donalds scalding cup of coffee and the woman.

Actually, that's probably not a good example. A 180 degree cup of coffee is going to do much more damage than a 120 degree cup. I think I read somewhere that the offending store had been previously warned.

I'm ordinarily not a rules and regs kind of guy, but you would think there would be some form of infraction against a driver leaving his seat while a vehicle is in motion. Breaking a traffic law could automatically cause such a suit to be dismissed. And to think that the public had to fund such a ridiculous suit.
Augerhandle's Avatar Augerhandle 01:11 PM 05-31-2010
Quote:

True story . . .

True story? Please prove it.

I saw it in a (fictional) movie, and it was a woman...
Augerhandle's Avatar Augerhandle 01:15 PM 05-31-2010
Quote:

True story . . .

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp
Lee Stewart's Avatar Lee Stewart 01:48 PM 05-31-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

True story? Please prove it.

I saw it in a (fictional) movie, and it was a woman...

My bad () - it was a woman driver ():

Quote:

Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: Mrs. Grazinski had recently purchased a new 32-foot Winnebago motor home, and during the trip home from an OU football game, she decided that she was hungry. After arriving onto the highway, she expertly set the vehicle's cruise control to 70 MPH, calmly left the driver's seat, and headed to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed, and overturned. Mrs. Grazinski sued the Winnebago corporation for not stating in the owner's manual that cruise control was not the same as "automatic pilot" and that she was not actually able to leave the driver's seat while using it. The jury awarded her $1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. The Winnebago corporation has updated their driver's operation manuals, as a result of this lawsuit.

http://helpmesue.blogspot.com/2007/1...ts-week-1.html
Augerhandle's Avatar Augerhandle 06:59 PM 05-31-2010
Quote:

My bad () - it was a woman driver ():

http://helpmesue.blogspot.com/2007/1...ts-week-1.html

AND it is not true.
Lee Stewart's Avatar Lee Stewart 08:57 PM 05-31-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

AND it is not true.

Here is my proof that it is - what is your proof that it isn't?

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/tra...s/s1499108.htm

LOL! Got any proof of that?
Augerhandle's Avatar Augerhandle 07:12 AM 06-01-2010
Quote:

Here is my proof that it is - what is your proof that it isn't?

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/tra...s/s1499108.htm

LOL! Got any proof of that?

Lee, come on! Your first link was a blog, and this one states (red by me):

Quote:

But in fact the Stella's are non-existent awards for non-existent cases as revealed by Overlawyered.com an outfit dedicated to exposing the real excesses of the American legal system.

"All these incidents ...appear completely fictitious and unrelated to any actual persons with these names."

Media Watch, ABC TV, 10 June 2002

georgeorwell's Avatar georgeorwell 01:54 PM 06-01-2010
The best part is the comments after the article:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...ntent=My+Yahoo

And this is great too...seeing as shutter glass 3D technology has been around for some time...not just with the release of recent 3D TVs.

"Because modern 3-D technology is so new, there isn't much research to show it causes health problems, says Gail Summers, a pediatric ophthalmologist at the University of Minnesota.
jeremiah78's Avatar jeremiah78 09:39 AM 09-13-2012
This tip is from my experience. IF you have your eyes on TV a lot, it would cause dry eyes. You can easily get an artificial tear drop to lubricate your eyes. Works good for me. Just want to share.
Ratman's Avatar Ratman 03:00 PM 09-13-2012
Another 2 year old post reawakend? Don't rub your eyes.
Up
Mobile  Desktop