Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime19 View Post

By the way, you can order the 73C9 from Paul's TV for $1497 and they may upgrade you for free to the new 73738 like they did me yesterday.

Thanks.

Are you sure the upgraded you to the new 738 and not the 737? The 73738 is not available yet and the MSRP is 2399. If so, congrats. You lucky bastard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhalbower View Post

Where does it say in the spec sheet that the x38 series will have full 3D HD support with the firmware upgrade? It just mentions side-by-side. Isn't side-by-side still half resolution? Their firmware upgrade might just take the full interlaced HD signal and convert it to side-by-side.

Sorry if I am not understanding it correctly. This is all new to me.

Fine print on page 2. Took me a while to find it, but it's there.
post #183 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

Fine print on page 2. Took me a while to find it, but it's there.

I see it now, “For support of other 3D formats, such as top-bottom and frame packing (3d Blu Ray standard), Mitsubishi plans to provide a 3D software upgrade.

This must mean that the new x38 series has an HDMI 1.4 port. Otherwise the upgrade could work for older Mits as well.
post #184 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 01:30 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

"Whoa there, Trigger!" No insult was intended.

I was not correcting your grammar. I was reinforcing your response with a bit of fact, and setting up my following post to the other poster. This is not the first time someone confused the issue in regards to pricing a pair of glasses, so I felt obligated to make it clear. Maybe I should have multi-quoted, using the other post as well?

NP - I see what you were trying to do now.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #185 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just pre-ordered a 3DC-1 Adapter and a couple pair of x102's($380.99 total after shipping).

I thought I'd try and save a buck or 2 by getting the Viewsonic glasses but they aren't available anywhere and/or delivery is very tentative.

One possible issue that just occured to me is audio sync if a setup is like mine has to be. I plan to hook directly from my source (either my D* HR21-700 or PS3) to the adapter while sending audio to my HDMI 1.1a receiver via toslink.

Any thoughts on this? I'd hate to have to resort to my 65C9's speakers.

I was suprised by the comment that DLP was inferior. I'd read somewhere (probably AVS) that DLP's have a very fast "refresh" or lack of image retention (I don't remember the exact terminology), which minimizes or eliminates ghosting. From my limited experience hooking my 3D Vision PC to my Mits, 3D was way better than my Sammy 2233RZ LCD, with which I get significant ghosting on some games.
post #186 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post

(snip) ...I was suprised by the comment that DLP was inferior. I'd read somewhere (probably AVS) that DLP's have a very fast "refresh" or lack of image retention (I don't remember the exact terminology), which minimizes or eliminates ghosting. From my limited experience hooking my 3D Vision PC to my Mits, 3D was way better than my Sammy 2233RZ LCD, with which I get significant ghosting on some games.

Yeah, ever since people went gaga for "flat" screens, they overlook DLP's advantages, such as lower cost per square inch, lower electricity consumption, better black levels, and faster response time, LCDs still suffer from motion blur, not to mention the screen door effect, I really can't stand that. Also, according to my research, LCDs pictures turn green or yellow as they age, and plasmas just fade away, while my DLP gets rejuvenated with a new bulb ($99) every three or four years.

Everyone I know who has a flat screen has it sitting on a stand or table that is at least 20 inches deep, so the "flatness" of the TV is of no value anyway, IMHO.

My Mits is calibrated, and it's an amazing experience. Not to mention everyone else is just now catching up on it's 3D capability.

The only thing I would do differently, is buy the 82", as you soon find that bigger is better in HDTV.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #187 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 03:03 PM

Liked: 11
Those are nice advantages of DLPs, but I personally dislike the hot spot issues of the rear projection. I prefer to have the same contrast and color accuracy, independent of the viewing angle. Until OLED TVs are more mature, only plasma and CRT can offer that. OLED should also be great for 3D, with a short switching time.
post #188 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 03:19 PM

Just ordered my Mitsubishi 3DA-1 3D Adapter. I opted to just get the adapter and wait for the Xpand x103s. They are going to retail for 129 and they are supposed to be compatible with almost all 3D TVs. They automatically scan for the signal that the TV is sending.
post #189 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Just ordered my Mitsubishi 3DA-1 3D Adapter. I opted to just get the adapter and wait for the Xpand x103s. They are going to retail for 129 and they are supposed to be compatible with almost all 3D TVs. They automatically scan for the signal that the TV is sending.

How do you know how much they will cost, or when they will be available? thanks
post #190 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post

Those are nice advantages of DLPs, but I personally dislike the hot spot issues of the rear projection. I prefer to have the same contrast and color accuracy, independent of the viewing angle. Until OLED TVs are more mature, only plasma and CRT can offer that. OLED should also be great for 3D, with a short switching time.

To each his own. Personally, I haven't seen any hot spot issues, nor any problems in regards to viewing angles. Maybe it's just my seating arrangement. The contrast and color changes pertain to vertical viewing angles with a DLP. Horizontally, it's not a problem. All my seats are at the same elevation, and I typically don't watch TV way off axis or while standing.

As always, YMMV. It's all about what each person finds important. I see the difference every time I see a plasma or LCD at a store or friend's house. When I no longer see screen door effects or smearing, I may change my mind.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #191 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idamon View Post

How do you know how much they will cost, or when they will be available? thanks

Wall street journal article

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...422996702.html

However, it is not clear to me whether the glasses will support DLP-Link. Xspan's website mentions that they will be compatible with DLP but doesn’t say anything about DLP-link. I might have to get the x102s after all. Unless they will sell an IR emitter.
post #192 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:

However, it is not clear to me whether the glasses will support DLP-Link. Xspan's website mentions that they will be compatible with DLP but doesn't say anything about DLP-link. I might have to get the x102s after all. Unless they will sell an IR emitter.

Firstly, they are the flagship "universal" xpands so they should not require another purchase to work on your dlp (my opinion). About the 102's, I am thinking about going that way too, but are you worried about having to purchase batteries through xpand forever?
post #193 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Firstly, they are the flagship "universal" xpands so they should not require another purchase to work on your dlp (my opinion). About the 102's, I am thinking about going that way too, but are you worried about having to purchase batteries through xpand forever?

Not worried about the batteries. I am sure I will be able to get replacements in the future. Xpand will be around for long time.

Why are you going to get the 102s if you believe that the 103s will support DLP-Link as well as work with other TVs?

Can't wait to see the full specs on the 103s. I want to verify that they will support DLP-link.
post #194 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

x103 are IR only and not DlLP Link. You still need an emitter. The x104 are the true universal, but you have to wait till 2011.
post #195 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

However, it is not clear to me whether the glasses will support DLP-Link. Xspan's website mentions that they will be compatible with DLP but doesn’t say anything about DLP-link. I might have to get the x102s after all. Unless they will sell an IR emitter.

Do your homework. Check out the chart at XpanD's website.

http://www.xpandcinema.com/products/glasses/

The X101s are IR
The X102s are DLP-Link
The X103s are Universal IR
The X104s are Universal IR and DLP-Link

The 103s are coming out soon. The X104s are slated to appear January 2011. The X103s will still work on your DLP if you have an emitter. The emitter is optional.

If you have a DLP, the X104s are the "end all-do all". You can watch your DLP with them, or go to a friend's house, and don't need to purchase an emitter. Or, if you don't own a 3DTV, you can sponge off your friends, no matter which type of TV they own!

post #196 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 04:30 PM

Thanks for clarifying.

Think I will wait a while on the glasses to see what comes out this year.

No Blu-Rays available yet anyway. Just wanted to pre-order my adapter in case they get back logged.

Any idea what the optional IR Emitter will cost?
post #197 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Are you sure the upgraded you to the new 738 and not the 737? The 73738 is not available yet and the MSRP is 2399. If so, congrats. You lucky bastard.

I am positive. The model is 73738 and the date of manufacture is 5/18/2010. I did get very lucky.
post #198 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for clarifying.

Think I will wait a while on the glasses to see what comes out this year.

No Blu-Rays available yet anyway. Just wanted to pre-order my adapter in case they get back logged.

Any idea what the optional IR Emitter will cost?

I would think any vesa emitter would work. The only one I've see sold separately at a reasonable price is this one. Which model TV do you own?

http://www.i-glassesstore.com/dlp3d-wless-xmitter.html

post #199 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:

I would think any vesa emitter would work. The only one I've see sold separately at a reasonable price is this one. Which model TV do you own?

http://www.i-glassesstore.com/dlp3d-wless-xmitter.html

Thanks.

I own a WD-73737.

Probably end up getting the 102s in a couple months, unless some great deal comes out on some glasses with and IR Emitter included.
post #200 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:

I just pre-ordered a 3DC-1 Adapter and a couple pair of x102's($380.99 total after shipping).

I thought I'd try and save a buck or 2 by getting the Viewsonic glasses but they aren't available anywhere and/or delivery is very tentative.

One possible issue that just occured to me is audio sync if a setup is like mine has to be. I plan to hook directly from my source (either my D* HR21-700 or PS3) to the adapter while sending audio to my HDMI 1.1a receiver via toslink.

I was suprised by the comment that DLP was inferior. I'd read somewhere (probably AVS) that DLP's have a very fast "refresh" or lack of image retention (I don't remember the exact terminology), which minimizes or eliminates ghosting. From my limited experience hooking my 3D Vision PC to my Mits, 3D was way better than my Sammy 2233RZ LCD, with which I get significant ghosting on some games.

If you have an xbox 360 or a playstation 3 please try one of the free trials of checkerboard enabled 3d games and post any comments on how well the xpand 102's work with c9 dlp link. I would really appreciate it as I am leaning towards the adapter/102 combo instead of the kit.
post #201 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:

I am positive. The model is 73738 and the date of manufacture is 5/18/2010. I did get very lucky.

Cool. Is it a pre-order or does it actually have a ship date? When does it ship?
post #202 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElecWarehouse View Post

We just spoke to a product manager at Mitsubishi who would not disclose who manufactured the glasses. Mitsubishi asked us to remove from our site that the glasses are manufactured by XpanD.

The only confirmation that they would give us is that they are Mitsubishi glasses and Mitsubishi does not disclose who manufactures their components.

I finally got a reply from my email to Mits regarding their source for the glasses.

Quote:

Thank you for contacting Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America, Inc. We are pleased to be able to assist our customers via our website. Here is the information that you have requested:

Mitsubishi glasses use an emitter, NOT XPand.

Regards

MDEA

According to Mits customer service, you either need an emitter or an XPand...and they use an emitter.

post #203 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:

Where did you find the 102's for that price? I can only find them for 149 a piece.
post #204 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where did you find the 102's for that price? I can only find them for 149 a piece.

I think the price dropped when the new batch from XpanD came out this week.

post #205 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I would think any vesa emitter would work.

To be clear, unless you have universal IR glasses like the x102 & x103, an emitter will have to be directly compatible with the glasses.

VESA compatibility is in reference to the 3 pin 3D connection, for the sync signal and voltage input.

If you have the x102 or x104, you won't need an emitter with the Mitsu DLPs.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #206 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

To be clear, unless you have universal IR glasses like the x102 & x103, an emitter will have to be directly compatible with the glasses...(snip)

Yes, thanks. The poster was asking in reference to the X103s with a Mits DLP, but it may not have been clear in later posts.

post #207 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That adapter will be needed for the older (pre-2010) non738 or 838 series sets because they only support checkerboard. I think they are considering the 738 and 838 (with built in surround sound) series as being 3DTV's because they include native side by side support and natively support 1920X1080 24fps (full HD).

So with a firmware upgrade, you'll be able to view a full 3D BD with a PS3 without an emitter or adapter.

It's in the specsheet on Mitsubishi's site for the 73738.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/pdf/specsheet-738.pdf

The 738 & 838 series will only display Blu-ray in checkerboard format, you just won't need the external adapter, as they will do the conversion internally. In other words, it's technically not full 3D like the plasma and LCD 3DTV's will do. Blu-ray will be the only full 3D source for the time being.

Having said that, it's going to take side by side evaluations to see just how much of a difference it makes. I'm guessing DLP's will be at least as good, maybe better in some respects, due to the native technology.

post #208 of 854 Old 06-03-2010, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, thanks. The poster was asking in reference to the X103s with a Mits DLP, but it may not have been clear in later posts.

Ah yes, I see.

post #209 of 854 Old 06-04-2010, 07:56 AM

Does anyone have any experience with www.tru3d.com? They have the x102's for cheapest but they have 0 record on bbb.org... curious if they are one of those .com's that takes your money and tells you to go sit and spin...
post #210 of 854 Old 06-04-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:

I see it now, “For support of other 3D formats, such as top-bottom and frame packing (3d Blu Ray standard), Mitsubishi plans to provide a 3D software upgrade.

This must mean that the new x38 series has an HDMI 1.4 port. Otherwise the upgrade could work for older Mits as well.

That's a myth. Andy Parsons, Chairperson of the U.S. Promotions Committee for the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA):

It's not required to use (HDMI) 1.4 as long as everything in the signal path is capable of handling the 3D payload. This means, for example, that HDMI 1.3a can be used if all components, including cables and HDMI switching devices (such as A/V receivers) are "High Speed HDMI."
Closed Thread 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page