Philosophical Discussion / 3D Emotional Experience - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Philosphically, the draw of 3-D is simply that it fundamentally alters the emotional experience of viewing. It no longer feels like a story about others, but becomes a story that invades your space, perhaps threateningly, perhaps provocatively, perhaps joyously. We enjoy 3-D movies because when we watch them we are no longer mere audience members.

Thus, the question is, does that emotional experience translate into the home environment...??

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Good question. We who pursue home theater already turn out all the lights and devote the time for the experience. Mostly we're not walking around the house with the projector on. Now, for 3D we'll have to put on glasses we wouldn't want the neighbors to see us in if the doorbell rings. It will take some commitment. I think that will help the reality fantasy come home - gearing up that much will help make it happen.

I wouldn't be so sure about it for a small screen, though.
post #3 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Philosphically, the draw of 3-D is simply that it fundamentally alters the emotional experience of viewing. It no longer feels like a story about others, but becomes a story that invades your space, perhaps threateningly, perhaps provocatively, perhaps joyously. We enjoy 3-D movies because when we watch them we are no longer mere audience members.

Thus, the question is, does that emotional experience translate into the home environment...??

How does light (that is what television images are made of) "invade your space?"
post #4 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

How does light (that is what television images are made of) "invade your space?"

It's a philosophical question, designed to be discussed. I'm simply curious as to opinions on how the theater experience traslates into the home environment.

I would be particularly interested in your thoughts, having followed many of your other posts and considering you a 3-D aficianado as well as quite knowledgable, if I may say that.

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:

It's a philosophical question, designed to be discussed. I'm simply curious as to opinions on how the theater experience traslates into the home environment.

I would be particularly interested in your thoughts, having followed many of your other posts and considering you a 3-D aficianado as well as quite knowledgable, if I may say that.

My thoughts on the transition of 3D from the theater to 3 D at home:

DISCLAIMER:

Been to a bunch of 3D presentations in the theater (big fan of IMAX 3D for years) but have only seen the Samsung 3DTV demo a few times.

Large difference watching a movie on a 30+ foot screen in a theater versus watching the same movie at home, no matter how big your display is. Even the biggest HT's only have a screen about 150".

With that said, we all make adjustments for this fact. It doesn't stop us from enjoying movies at home, just in a smaller size. And watching 3D at home, from what I saw, will be no different. For those that have enjoyed 3D in the theaters, now they will be able to enjoy it in the comfort of their own home. The same can be said for having a surround sound setup in ones home.

I believe 3D, like SS, can and will be used to heighten/expand the experience of watching a movie.

It's like D-BOX. Only it's visual as opposed to tactile.
post #6 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My thoughts on the transition of 3D from the theater to 3 D at home:

DISCLAIMER:

Been to a bunch of 3D presentations in the theater (big fan of IMAX 3D for years) but have only seen the Samsung 3DTV demo a few times.

Large difference watching a movie on a 30+ foot screen in a theater versus watching the same movie at home, no matter how big your display is. Even the biggest HT's only have a screen about 150".

With that said, we all make adjustments for this fact. It doesn't stop us from enjoying movies at home, just in a smaller size. And watching 3D at home, from what I saw, will be no different. For those that have enjoyed 3D in the theaters, now they will be able to enjoy it in the comfort of their own home. The same can be said for having a surround sound setup in ones home.

I believe 3D, like SS, can and will be used to heighten/expand the experience of watching a movie.

It's like D-BOX. Only it's visual as opposed to tactile.

The heighten/expand comment is very valid IMO. 3-D will not replace 2-D home viewing in the foreseable future, I don't believe. Too many sets already out there and some will simply have no interest in 3-D.

Size does appear to matter. Perhaps we'll be sitting closer to our sets.

So, if size matters, and 3-D is an immersive experience as well as perhaps better translated on a large screen, what role does the theater experience as far as being part of an audience..??

Uncle Willie

post #7 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

The heighten/expand comment is very valid IMO. 3-D will not replace 2-D home viewing in the foreseable future, I don't believe. Too many sets already out there and some will simply have no interest in 3-D.

There is 'marketing data' that suggest the average ['first world'] household buys a new tv on average about once every 4 years for reasons other than 'new technology' [e.g., replace broken set, or kid takes old set to college, etc.]

Quote:

So how should we watch Avatar according to [Director James Cameron]? He wants us to shell out for the Blu-ray 3D version coming out in November 2010, and then, "If you're going to go 3D, go big. Get the biggest set you can, and then sit as close as you can stand. That's my advice. Get the coffee table out of the way and slide the couch over, right in front of the TV."

Quote:

So, if size matters, and 3-D is an immersive experience as well as perhaps better translated on a large screen, what role does the theater experience as far as being part of an audience..??

Happy consumers with 100" to 200" screen [and thus able to sit 'closer', which requires line doubling/quadrupling from current 1080 source material]...

[
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #8 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

[quote=SoundChex;18507879]There is 'marketing data' that suggest the average ['first world'] household buys a new tv on average about once every 4 years for reasons other than 'new technology' [e.g., replace broken set, or kid takes old set to college, etc.]

[quote]

Does that mean that all 1st World TV's are generally new every 4 years..?? IOW... TV's turnover every 4 years in a 1st World country..?

Uncle Willie

post #9 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 03:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

We enjoy 3-D movies because when we watch them we are no longer mere audience members.

You've hit one of my hot buttons which is the assumption that everyone thinks 3D is great. Frankly, I have seen a few "excellent" 3D movies (avatar, etc.) in a high quality setting and have not been excited about the technology. IMO, it still seems "gimmicky" and has not fundamentally changed (in terms of how I perceive it) from the earlier attempts at 3D. I think my main issue is that I want to sit back, relax, and watch a good movie; I don't want to have my "space invaded" or be part of a more visceral experience. The same can be said for 6-axis motion in the home. Full motion rides at an amusement park are fine, I just can't see myself enjoying it in a home setting.

IMO, 3D technology should not be called 'TV' or a 'movie'... it is a different experience (which may eventually progress to a holodeck-style immersive program).

If you want to discuss what 3D adds or detracts from a program in this thread then I will continue to post (not sure if you want a 3D / no 3D discussion in your thread).

Greg

post #10 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 97
[quote=mgkdragn;18507990][quote=SoundChex;18507879]There is 'marketing data' that suggest the average ['first world'] household buys a new tv on average about once every 4 years for reasons other than 'new technology' [e.g., replace broken set, or kid takes old set to college, etc.]

Quote:

Does that mean that all 1st World TV's are generally new every 4 years..?? IOW... TV's turnover every 4 years in a 1st World country..?

No, it means that it's likely that [at least] one TV in your household was purchased within the last 4 years, primarily for reasons other than 'new technology'. With many households supporting 2, 3, or 4 TVs, that might translate to an average TV lifespan of between 8 and 16 years. And, when a new set is purchased, it provides an opportunity to (e.g.) just replace the (failed) set in the kitchen, or to rearrange all the sets in the household, and upgrade the primary family entertainment TV.

For example, I've purchased 7 sets in the last 28 years, none of them specifically in order to acquire new entertainment capabilities . . . and discarded 4 sets (2 failed; one 'non remote, non cable ready, CRT' given away as "too hard to emplace and use"; and one portable NTSC set on-hand for 'post earthquake use' replaced with a portable ATSC set). So I have one five year old set, and two sets under 4 years old. Does that make me boringly average?

[
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #11 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I don't think 3D is just one thing - any more than 2D is just one type of experience. I really look forward to what television and filmmakers will bring us in the form of 3D entertainment, but it will be as varied as 2D entertainment is today. It will be comedy and cartoon, drama and documentary. The way producers involve us will be subtle and blunt force, just as it's always been with visual media. That's the way it should be. 3D will become simply one more tool at the disposal of the producer. I hope 2D doesn't go away, nor black and white, nor any other technique producers have used to get across their messages in the past. 3D is not an either/or proposition.

The one thing I feel very strongly about is a big screen for the home. Given the choice of having a big screen or a 3D screen, I'm afraid I'd have to choose a big screen. Fortunately for me, I won't have to make that choice for very long. 3D front projectors will be here soon. Black and white, color, HDTV, big screen, 3D - there's room for any and all of them in the future. I can imagine people enjoying high definition, black and white, 3D still photography. Imagine Ansel Adams in high res 3D. Almost certainly not a mainstream hobby, but it could be thrilling for some. I will almost certainly experiment with it in the future.

Joe Clark

post #12 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm enjoying the heck out of 2D to 3D conversion, "does that emotional experience translate into the home environment...??", a definite yes. YMMV.
post #13 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

For me this is still a big question mark. Until there are some actual BluRay 3D material widely available, its really hard to make an apples to apples comparison. I would have to see a few movies at home that I originally saw in the theater to make a valid argument either way. My feeling is that the experience won't transfer over completely simply because the big-screen 3D theater experience is in a class of its own. I don't see that comparing to a 50" screen and having the same emotional impact. But I think the jury is still out.

post #14 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:

Agree - 3D is an addition to HD, not a replacement for.

Quote:

Size matters to who? To a bunch of AVS members? The average sized HDTV sold is 37". Couple that with the average viewing distance in the average living room being around 10 feet and it is evident that most people don't have an issue with the size of their TV image.

ANY movie, 2D, 3D whatever D is always best seen on a theater sized screen. And going to the theater is a shared experience - hundreds of people watching and listening to the same thing. But that doesn't mean that everyone gets the same feeling, stimulus, whaterver from the common experience. That is a subjective issue, best left answered by each individual.
post #15 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

There is 'marketing data' that suggest the average ['first world'] household buys a new tv on average about once every 4 years for reasons other than 'new technology' [e.g., replace broken set, or kid takes old set to college, etc.]

I thought it was every 5 to 7 years.

Quote:
So how should we watch Avatar according to [Director James Cameron]? He wants us to shell out for the Blu-ray 3D version coming out in November 2010, and then, "If you're going to go 3D, go big. Get the biggest set you can, and then sit as close as you can stand. That's my advice. Get the coffee table out of the way and slide the couch over, right in front of the TV."

Guess you missed the memo - there will be no Avatar 3D BD this year. Fox has said; "sometime in 2011."

Quote:
Happy consumers with 100" to 200" screen [and thus able to sit 'closer', which requires line doubling/quadrupling from current 1080 source material]...

The next step - 2160P is 4X the number of megapixels of 1080P (8MP versus 2MP).

So approximately how many households have a TV with a 100" or greater image? A number or a % will do.
post #16 of 51 Old 04-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

As for most others here, the only two 3D TV screen sizes I have seen to date are the 55 inch Samsung LCD and 50 inch Plasma Panasonic. Truthfully, i much more enjoyed the 3D experience with the smaller Panasonic and not just because of the absence of cross talk since the Samsung model was well adjusted.

There is something to be said for the "looking out a window" view which is unique to 3D TV. That said, I am looking forward to comparing what it will look like looking out an even larger window with the 58 inch and 65 inch Panasonics coming later this summer. (I tend to agree with those who assert that only with projectors are you going to get "immersive 3D" viewing but that does not mean the 3D TV experience is not an exciting viewing technology in its own right.)
post #17 of 51 Old 04-20-2010, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post

You've hit one of my hot buttons which is the assumption that everyone thinks 3D is great. Frankly, I have seen a few "excellent" 3D movies (avatar, etc.) in a high quality setting and have not been excited about the technology. IMO, it still seems "gimmicky" and has not fundamentally changed (in terms of how I perceive it) from the earlier attempts at 3D. I think my main issue is that I want to sit back, relax, and watch a good movie; I don't want to have my "space invaded" or be part of a more visceral experience. The same can be said for 6-axis motion in the home. Full motion rides at an amusement park are fine, I just can't see myself enjoying it in a home setting.

I would add that Avatar probably set the bar. It's standing as the top money maker of all time has certainly primed the pump for the tech, no debate on that. That said, the manufacturers certainly began the R&D for 3-D some time before Avatar hit the screen. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would almost guess at some connection between the two.

We seem to live in an age that is drawn more towards the visual appeal of a film, as opposed to a more story driven approach. Not to say story driven plots don't succeed, witnness Precious, Crazy Heart, etc. However, the sheer dollars taken in are the guage Hollywood is most interested in. Thus, the "surcharge" on 3-D at the box office is a deifinite enticement for a studio. This comment would also translate into the sale of the tech for the consumer market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post

If you want to discuss what 3D adds or detracts from a program in this thread then I will continue to post (not sure if you want a 3D / no 3D discussion in your thread).

I don't know how the two can be separated. I am interested mostly in the emotional issue of theater VS home environment. I believe that issue is the "pass/fail" on the tech.

Uncle Willie

post #18 of 51 Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

No, it means that it's likely that [at least] one TV in your household was purchased within the last 4 years, primarily for reasons other than 'new technology'. With many households supporting 2, 3, or 4 TVs, that might translate to an average TV lifespan of between 8 and 16 years. And, when a new set is purchased, it provides an opportunity to (e.g.) just replace the (failed) set in the kitchen, or to rearrange all the sets in the household, and upgrade the primary family entertainment TV.

Since being "on my own" from the mid 1960's on, I honestly can't remember how many sets I've gone thu. Maybe 10..?? However, until the advent of HD, my only reason to replace an old set was 1) Failure 2) get a larger set. I was an early buyer of rear projection. My thoughts have always been that the Television is the primary source of home entertainment, so go with the best you can. Until the advent of HD, all sets were pretty much the same, other than size.

Now, the cycle of technology has accelerated ... we went from 720p to 1080p seemingly overnight. Will those that have already bought into flat panel / HD, be willing to start all over again with 3-D..?? This question directly relates to the impact the end user feels they get by moving the 3-D experience from theater to home.

Uncle Willie

post #19 of 51 Old 04-20-2010, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

ANY movie, 2D, 3D whatever D is always best seen on a theater sized screen. And going to the theater is a shared experience - hundreds of people watching and listening to the same thing. But that doesn't mean that everyone gets the same feeling, stimulus, whaterver from the common experience. That is a subjective issue, best left answered by each individual.

I don't know if it is a subjective issue. The example I would use is a live Concert. The shared, collective experience heightens the impact, if nothing else from the sheer energy of the crowd. This is one of the reasons folks are willing to pay some pretty good money to see their favorite entertainers.

At this time, let's call 3-D at ground zero. Forget the old tech ever existed. Making that trip to the theater perhaps right now is a novelty draw. Many going just because they want to see that new fangled 3-D. Thus, before even taking a seat, the crowd is anticipating the newness. So, the collective experience is coming into play.

Uncle Willie

post #20 of 51 Old 04-20-2010, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybereality View Post

For me this is still a big question mark. Until there are some actual BluRay 3D material widely available, its really hard to make an apples to apples comparison. I would have to see a few movies at home that I originally saw in the theater to make a valid argument either way. My feeling is that the experience won't transfer over completely simply because the big-screen 3D theater experience is in a class of its own. I don't see that comparing to a 50" screen and having the same emotional impact. But I think the jury is still out.

Your point, to me, is one of the puzzles of the 3-D equation. The sheer lack of software. I can't recall offhand what software became available and in what numbers when HD-DVD / BD players began hitting the shelves. However, it would seem to me that the R&D on the 3-D TV's was started well before Avatar.

Uncle Willie

post #21 of 51 Old 04-20-2010, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I know this is blasphemy but living in Metro Atlanta our experience is...
movies look better on a large screen viewed in our living room vs. watching the same movie at our local theaters, both Regal & AMC. We do go to the theaters to see first run blockbusters, and then pick up the BD's when released.

Part of the reason is screen brightness... viewing movies at both those chains,
we see a dull picture with graininess's. The 3D showings are even worse, which may be do to the "light loss" wearing the 3D glasses.

The IMAX is way across town... so we've missed seeing Avatar, but we have seen a couple of 3D movies at the local theater.

I'm really looking forward to 3D's broadcasting Sports, expecting a big jump in realism, philosophical debates don't enter into my expectations.
post #22 of 51 Old 04-20-2010, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumperZ06 View Post

I know this is blasphemy but living in Metro Atlanta our experience is...
movies look better on a large screen viewed in our living room vs. watching the same movie at our local theaters, both Regal & AMC. We do go to the theaters to see first run blockbusters, and then pick up the BD's when released.

Part of the reason is screen brightness... viewing movies at both those chains,
we see a dull picture with graininess's. The 3D showings are even worse, which may be do to the "light loss" wearing the 3D glasses.

The IMAX is way across town... so we've missed seeing Avatar, but we have seen a couple of 3D movies at the local theater.

I'm really looking forward to 3D's broadcasting Sports, expecting a big jump in realism, philosophical debates don't enter into my expectations.

One of the reasons I did a home theater years ago was just that. I actually not just knew I could get better quality, but I, after decades of being a movie fan, just got sick and tired of the communal experience. It had degraded so much over the years.. cell phones, kids, the guy next to me giving his buddies the blow by blow, etc... however, the 3-D tech drew me back in. That's one of the reasons I started this thread...

Uncle Willie

post #23 of 51 Old 04-20-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:

One of the reasons I did a home theater years ago was just that. I actually not just knew I could get better quality, but I, after decades of being a movie fan, just got sick and tired of the communal experience. It had degraded so much over the years.. cell phones, kids, the guy next to me giving his buddies the blow by blow, etc... however, the 3-D tech drew me back in. That's one of the reasons I started this thread...

Not to mention... a large bag of popcorn and two medium size drinks... more expensive than the theater tickets.

Then, you get to see 10 to 15 minutes of commercials, plus coming attractions...
before the movie starts.
post #24 of 51 Old 04-20-2010, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Somehow watching the trains pull into Auschwitz in 3D just doesn't seem like it will enhance the emotional experience your supposed to get watching Schindler's List. No matter what a film maker tries to do using 3D it will never add anything to the TV show or film except a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or generate new business.

post #25 of 51 Old 04-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

Somehow watching the trains pull into Auschwitz in 3D just doesn't seem like it will enhance the emotional experience your supposed to get watching Schindler's List. No matter what a film maker tries to do using 3D it will never add anything to the TV show or film except a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or generate new business.

I disagree. Watching a scene like you describe in 3D would increase the horror of the images one would feel emotionaly. You would be at the train tracks - your perspective - as opposed to a distance away.
post #26 of 51 Old 04-20-2010, 11:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

That's a really cynical evaluation of the potential impact of 3D technology. Instead of the "3D" in your statement, I could substitute "color" or "high definition video" or "surround sound" or "zoom lenses" or "Steadicam shots" or "tracking shots" or virtually any other tool of film and television production. Those things were all new at one point. They've worked out pretty well.

Challenging an artist with a comment like "using 3D will never add anything to the TV show or film" guarantees the opposite. A little 2.8 billion dollar movie called "Avatar" makes the comment sound absurdly indefensible.

Joe Clark

post #27 of 51 Old 04-21-2010, 06:54 AM

Hhmmmm... 3D adds another feature to viewing...

trying to bring us a step closer to "Being There".

3D is not a threat...

you can choose to ignore the new technology,

or embrace it to add another option for your home entertainment.

The market place will determine 3D's success... so far it's looking good.
post #28 of 51 Old 04-21-2010, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

That's a really cynical evaluation of the potential impact of 3D technology. Instead of the "3D" in your statement, I could substitute "color" or "high definition video" or "surround sound" or "zoom lenses" or "Steadicam shots" or "tracking shots" or virtually any other tool of film and television production. Those things were all new at one point. They've worked out pretty well.

Challenging an artist with a comment like "using 3D will never add anything to the TV show or film" guarantees the opposite. A little 2.8 billion dollar movie called "Avatar" makes the comment sound absurdly indefensible.

Although 3-D is not new, so I don't know the validity of comparing it to film tools that were new at one point and did catch on as a valid enhancement... I will pose this question...

If the intent of the director was conveyed in the original 2-D release, would conversion to 3-D further enhance the film..?? Thinking specifically of, let's say, colorization of black and white material as an example of film modification from the original. Or, would conversion to 3-D effectively destroy the original vision..?? Such as Schindler's List or any other. Keep in mind, one of the debate points in some threads is "3-D requires a different set of rules and equipment in order to get it right." I believe James Cameron himself stated something to that effect as well..

Uncle Willie

post #29 of 51 Old 04-21-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Size matters to who? To a bunch of AVS members? The average sized HDTV sold is 37". Couple that with the average viewing distance in the average living room being around 10 feet and it is evident that most people don't have an issue with the size of their TV image.

I certainly don't fall into the 37" TV category. Even then, just because somebody might have a 37" TV does not mean they don't care about the size of their TV. They might have space issues, budget concerns or something else.

3D won't add something to all movies and in some instances will add an unwanted effect so a director might choose to avoid it altogether. The coloring of old films example was great, but some films were shot in black and white for budget purposes and can be colorized without destroying the intent of the director. Others were shot that way on purpose, either to show a contrast to later parts of a film, like The Wizard of Oz, or to convey a feeling, like Schindler's List. Even color films often have modified color for a specific feel - such as how so many timepiece movies are shot with a sepia tone, most notably westerns.

3D will add to a lot of films as long as director's don't go the gimmick route and find ways to throw **** at the camera. Even then, I don't think it will provide anywhere near as much immersion as a D-BOX system can.

I do really look forward to seeing the new ESPN 3D channel.

post #30 of 51 Old 04-21-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Although 3-D is not new, so I don't know the validity of comparing it to film tools that were new at one point and did catch on as a valid enhancement... I will pose this question...

If the intent of the director was conveyed in the original 2-D release, would conversion to 3-D further enhance the film..?? Thinking specifically of, let's say, colorization of black and white material as an example of film modification from the original. Or, would conversion to 3-D effectively destroy the original vision..?? Such as Schindler's List or any other. Keep in mind, one of the debate points in some threads is "3-D requires a different set of rules and equipment in order to get it right." I believe James Cameron himself stated something to that effect as well..

I wasn't talking about 2D to 3D conversion. That's a completely different philosophical debate. As to 3D not being new, I'd say that what is new is the "aligning of the planets" for the greatly increased probability that 3D will succeed at home. Digital technology makes it possible to create 3D in the home that should rival or surpass 3D in most commercial cinemas, and at a very reasonable cost. That's been true of 2D cinema for a quite some time now, and I see little reason to think it won't be true for 3D as well. And we should all be aware of how successful 3D has been in commercial theaters in the last few years.

As to the shared experience of being in a crowded movie theater, I understand the value. I've probably been in more commercial theaters in my lifetime than 5 or 10 average movie goers combined. As someone who's experienced communal movie going in dozens of different theaters for thousands of films, and who's also experienced big screen home theater for the last 10 years, I've come to the conclusion that (for me) the commercial theater experience is inferior in several important ways to the home theater experience. The big screen is the key element here, and it's the reason I tell people they should get a projector if at all possible. Once a big screen home theater is in place, there's very little appeal (for me) in going to a commercial theater. That's why I anxiously await news of the first 3D projection systems.

I understand that most people are not going to have the space or the desire for projection 3D TV. Still, I feel that even a smaller 3D TV, say 50"-65", can provide a good experience in the home. It just won't be as immersive as a large screen. I've seen people react to 3D on such screens, and it's impressive. Show them 3D, and they usually like it. Mine is a small sample size, but I think it probably holds true for most people who experience it.

Joe Clark

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page