Samsung HLT7288w 3-D Ready... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 05-03-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After doing a lot of research a couple of years back (which is what brought me to avsforum in the first place), I bought the Samsung HLT-7288W RP DLP TV. At the time, I saw the 3-D mode on it and really didn't think much of it.

Well, lo and behold, the 3-D buzz is in full swing and I find myself looking at the current components I have to see if it's worth the effort, and if i'm halfway there or nowhere close.

Here are my components:
Samsung HLT-7288W
HDMI 1.3 cables
Denon 3808CI Receiver
PS3 (Blu-Ray Player)

I've read that the PS3 is supposed to be getting a 3-D update to playback movies (in addition to the 3-D gaming update it apparently just got as well).

Here's where I'm confused:

1. The standard set for 3-D has been HDMI 1.4. However, I've also seen that 1.3 will work with 3-D, just not in 1080p, though I'm not sure if that means 1080i, 720p, or 480p.

2. My TV has a 3-D mode that's currently greyed out. I've heard that if you have a transmitter (I think that's what it's called), you can hook it up to the TV and pair that with active 3-D glasses. Is that correct, or was that correct before the standard was set (meaning that kind of 3-D is no longer supported). If so, is there any good place to start for locating the necessary equipment?

I checked the Samsung FAQ, and which basically said "Click here for a starter pack which had glasses and a transmitter. It then referred me to a "DDD" manufacturer site and to a product that just appeared to be software.

Link to FAQ:
http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/...3&AT_ID=158809

Link to mfg product:
http://www.ddd.com/cart/product.php?...3&cat=2&page=1

Hopefully these questions haven't been asked ad naseum yet. It just seems like this confusion keeps coming up every time the industry can't agree on one format before pushing the electronics out the door. I just hope I'm not looking for something that really isn't going to work in the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-03-2010, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

It looks like my second question was answered on electronichouse (they even list my model # on the slideshow). Looks like the software runs on a media center PC and there may be a way to buy the full package. Seems like a lot of effort for not much payoff. Anyone know of this method of doing 3-D being implemented with just a transmitter and no PC involved?

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/3d_dlp

http://www.electronichouse.com/slide...egory/2172/419

I also found this:

http://www.xforce3d.com/x3dhdhre3dre.html

For a laugh, check out the 3-D movies they're selling. They almost look as good as Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-03-2010, 08:40 PM

Liked: 44
Mits 3DC-1000 3D Converter Box Will Work on Samsung DLPs

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233286

BUYERS GUIDE: 3DTVs and 3D Active Shutter Glasses

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1237122

You can go with a DLP-Link type active shutter glasses - no emitter necessary.
post #4 of 24 Old 05-03-2010, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Mits 3DC-1000 3D Converter Box Will Work on Samsung DLPs

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233286

BUYERS GUIDE: 3DTVs and 3D Active Shutter Glasses

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1237122

You can go with a DLP-Link type active shutter glasses - no emitter necessary.

Now that is some reassuring news. It sounds like it's do-able and the price is right since I'm already partially invested (until a couple of years from now when I'm the format either fades away into obscurity or thrives in one single method of purchase). Thanks for the link, Lee.

So that leads me to my final question then:
Using the transmitter and glasses, how do I incorporate my A/V receiver into the equation so I can run my speakers as well?
post #5 of 24 Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherial View Post

Now that is some reassuring news. It sounds like it's do-able and the price is right since I'm already partially invested (until a couple of years from now when I'm the format either fades away into obscurity or thrives in one single method of purchase). Thanks for the link, Lee.

Using the transmitter and glasses, how do I incorporate my A/V receiver into the equation so I can run my speakers as well?

Buy the Panasonic BDT300 or BDT350 3D BD player. You don't need the 3DC-1000 converter. It has a checkerboard output option and a second HDMI output that can be configured to just pass HD Audio from BD. You would attach the 3d video HDMI output directly to your RPTV. You will need the converter for 3D CBL or 3D SAT though.

And again - all you need is a pair (more or less) of the new ViewSonic DLP-link ASGs - no transmitter needed.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-04-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

If you are currently able to output from your PS3 to the the receiver and from the receiver to the TV then no change should be required. Even today there are some PS3 games written that will output in 3D checkerboard foramat which your TV will accept and display.
post #7 of 24 Old 05-04-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

If you are currently able to output from your PS3 to the the receiver and from the receiver to the TV then no change should be required. Even today there are some PS3 games written that will output in 3D checkerboard foramat which your TV will accept and display.

I hope this is correct instead of having to purchase a different BD player. That would make sense though I guess since Sony is coming out with the PS3 3-D update on an HDMI 1.3 device. The checkerboard video should just passthrough in the receiver like a normal interlaced feed, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

And again - all you need is a pair (more or less) of the new ViewSonic DLP-link ASGs - no transmitter needed.

How does the shutter sync up take place without a transmitter connected to the 3-D port?
post #8 of 24 Old 05-04-2010, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

All of the 3D capable DLP units emit a very fast white flash between frames when they are changed. The DLP link active glases detect this flash and switch eyes.
post #9 of 24 Old 05-04-2010, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Since no transmitter is needed then, how does the 3-D mode option become enabled on the TV? I was initially under the assumption that something had to be connected to the 3-D port. Since that's not the case, is there an automatic handshake with the DLP-Link communication protocol that allows that allows the option to be selectable once the glasses are turned on?

I checked out the Viewsonic site, as well as the Amazon page, and they both say that it's for Viewsonic DLP projectors, and doesn't really specify that it works with any other DLP. Is the DLP-Link protocol pretty standard in that regard where they would work fine on any 3-D DLP?

Also, given the choice (although price could be a factor since justifying $150 glasses could be difficult ), would you go with the XpanD X102s or the Viewsonic PGD-150s?

I know I'm probably being a pain with the questions, but I'm just trying to get a good handle on how this all works, and I definitely appreciate all of the help on this.
post #10 of 24 Old 05-05-2010, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Quote:

I hope this is correct instead of having to purchase a different BD player. That would make sense though I guess since Sony is coming out with the PS3 3-D update on an HDMI 1.3 device. The checkerboard video should just passthrough in the receiver like a normal interlaced feed, right?

How does the shutter sync up take place without a transmitter connected to the 3-D port?

There is no evidence that the 3D firmware update for the PS3 for playing Blu-ray 3D will support the checkerboard format. We do know the PS3 will support the "Frame Packing" full 1080p 3D format, which is not compatible with the Samsung or Mits DLPs and if it also is going to support checkboard format is unknown, but its probably doubtful. The best solution would be to get the Mits 3D adapter or their 3D pack (that also includes two pairs of 3D glasses) which is due out next month. That way you will also be compatible with other 3D sources including those from Directv and cable TV companies. Also your Denon AVR, with it HDMI 1.3 inputs, will not handle the Frame Packing 3D format and to make your system accommodate all forms of 3D you will probably need to add a HDMI 1.4a compatible switch box (not yet available, but should be coming from www.monoprice.com within a few months at low cost). Some 1.3 cables will work OK but some may not, so you will need to test after you get the equipment to see which existing ones are OK and which will need to be replaced (again monoprice should have HDMI 1.4a certified cables soon).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #11 of 24 Old 05-05-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Unknown.

Quote:

DLP Link

http://www.dlp.com/projector/dlp-inn.../dlp-link.aspx
post #12 of 24 Old 05-05-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Since no transmitter is needed then, how does the 3-D mode option become enabled on the TV? I was initially under the assumption that something had to be connected to the 3-D port. Since that's not the case, is there an automatic handshake with the DLP-Link communication protocol that allows that allows the option to be selectable once the glasses are turned on?

I checked out the Viewsonic site, as well as the Amazon page, and they both say that it's for Viewsonic DLP projectors, and doesn't really specify that it works with any other DLP. Is the DLP-Link protocol pretty standard in that regard where they would work fine on any 3-D DLP?

Also, given the choice (although price could be a factor since justifying $150 glasses could be difficult ), would you go with the XpanD X102s or the Viewsonic PGD-150s?

I know I'm probably being a pain with the questions, but I'm just trying to get a good handle on how this all works, and I definitely appreciate all of the help on this.

Since we are in a somewhat experimental phase with home 3D, there just isn't any definetive answers as to how different glasses using the same technology really stack up agianst each other.
post #13 of 24 Old 05-05-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Since we are in a somewhat experimental phase with home 3D, there just isn't any definetive answers as to how different glasses using the same technology really stack up agianst each other.

There is a way to compare them. It just hasn't been done yet.

You measure the light transmission coming through both the shutters - once when they are closed and once when they are open.
post #14 of 24 Old 05-09-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like I'll be playing the waiting game until the update comes out. If checkerboard does end up being supported on the PS3 update when it shows, I now know what products to go after to make it work.

Thanks for all the info and links everyone.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-09-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

If checkerboard does end up being supported on the PS3 update when it shows, I now know what products to go after to make it work.

Will Sony and Mitsubishi really support a competitor by providing for checkerboard output to Samsung DLPs? No way. We now know that Mitsubishi will disable output of their 3DC-1000 adapter to Samsung TVs. While Samsung owners can still hope for PS3 checkerboard output, I suppose, I just think this is really, really unlikely.

Greg Lee
post #16 of 24 Old 05-09-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Will Sony and Mitsubishi really support a competitor by providing for checkerboard output to Samsung DLPs? No way. We now know that Mitsubishi will disable output of their 3DC-1000 adapter to Samsung TVs. While Samsung owners can still hope for PS3 checkerboard output, I suppose, I just think this is really, really unlikely.

Good point. And if that's the case, I'll just chalk it up to more crappy competition schemes over a format instead of an actual product and not put a cent into 3-D. I was hoping the most I'd have to buy would be the glasses, and/or the transmitter, but if that ends up not being the case, I won't worry about it and be perfectly fine in 2-D land.
post #17 of 24 Old 05-09-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Good point. And if that's the case, I'll just chalk it up to more crappy competition schemes over a format instead of an actual product and not put a cent into 3-D. I was hoping the most I'd have to buy would be the glasses, and/or the transmitter, but if that ends up not being the case, I won't worry about it and be perfectly fine in 2-D land.

agree with you 100%.if there isn't any support for my samsung 3d tv then i will buy a panasonic bluerray player that does support checkerboard and enjoy 2d with the other stuff.if thats the game they are playing then leave me out.
post #18 of 24 Old 05-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Will Sony and Mitsubishi really support a competitor by providing for checkerboard output to Samsung DLPs? No way.

Well we know mits has decided not to, but Panasonic came out of nowhere with checkerboard support and they're certainly not supporting their own TVs. So who knows, maybe Sony wouldn't mind having a few million DLP owners giving the PS3 a looksy?
post #19 of 24 Old 05-12-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnerd View Post

Well we know mits has decided not to, but Panasonic came out of nowhere with checkerboard support and they're certainly not supporting their own TVs. So who knows, maybe Sony wouldn't mind having a few million DLP owners giving the PS3 a looksy?

looks like a no go with checkerboard and the ps3.turning into a expensive add on for samsung dlp owners.
post #20 of 24 Old 05-12-2010, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby View Post

looks like a no go with checkerboard and the ps3.turning into a expensive add on for samsung dlp owners.

Read that yesterday, kinda bummed out. I hardly ever play video games these days but I would have definitely picked up a couple of 3D games for my PS3. I guess the money I save by not buying PS3 games will now go towards the Panasonic BD player.
post #21 of 24 Old 05-12-2010, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby View Post

I wasn't able to find anything about this. Could you please provide a link?

That sucks though. Guess it's hard to expect support like that from a company who won't even provide PS3 users cross-game voice chat. I can't justify getting another BD player just for 3-D though. Looks like I'll just be a late adopter.....as in the next time I have to get a new TV.....and the TV just happens to have industry standard full 1080p 3-D built in.

Don't see that happening anytime soon though.
post #22 of 24 Old 06-20-2012, 02:54 PM

Hi folks, hoping you all can help me out. I recently ordered the high powered emitter last week from 3dglassesunlimited.com. Granted I only ordered the emitter and no glasses, so this may be incomplete but I was thinking that the process should still work.

I am using the emitter with the Samsung HL-T7288W and the "slim" PS3 with updated firmware (4.11 I think it is). The PS3 is directly connected into the TV HDMI port. I did as the instructions said to do , the TV recognized that the emitter was present and allowed me to switch the options between ON-STD GLS or ON-INV GLS in DLP 3D/Dual-View menu. The power light on the emitter turns on and I can see the screen change 3D modes.

Seeing that emitter was on, I went into the PS3 display settings to activate the 3D function as instructed in these directions: http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/videooutput.html
When the PS3 scans the available display resolutions, it should pick up but doesn’t that the TV is in 3D mode. It seems likes it the TV turns off the 3D function when it scans for the resolutions. So it doesn’t give me the option of setting the screen size like it does in step #5.

I also connected an LG 3D blu ray player from a bundle I got in November, which I know works displaying 3d, to see if it would get the Samsung TV displaying but no dice. It will boot up the disc but the menu screen is the default "you need a 3d tv to display 3d content."

Any thoughts to what I am doing wrong?
post #23 of 24 Old 06-21-2012, 04:23 AM

if you don't have a mits converter to convert the 3d it will not work with the ps3.the ps3 has to run through the mits converter which connects into the hdmi input on the samsung tv..this mits converter can be bought online.it has to be the model that works with samsung tvs.
post #24 of 24 Old 06-21-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby View Post

if you don't have a mits converter to convert the 3d it will not work with the ps3.the ps3 has to run through the mits converter which connects into the hdmi input on the samsung tv..this mits converter can be bought online.it has to be the model that works with samsung tvs.

ahhh thanks dude!
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page