Mitsubishi's 3D Converter is Incompatible with Legacy Samsung 3D TV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 150 Old 06-06-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by golferbradbest View Post

I bet if you have a mitsubishi 3d dlp and use a reciever with hdmi output you cant use the checkerboard converter either. I bet you mitsubishi doesnt even care either.

If you have a receiver that pases through HDMI 1.3 content untouched to the adapter the adapter will accept it and convert it. If the receiver modifies the HDMI 1.3 video content then the adapter can not convert it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 150 Old 06-06-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by golferbradbest View Post

I bet if you have a mitsubishi 3d dlp and use a reciever with hdmi output you cant use the checkerboard converter either. I bet you mitsubishi doesnt even care either.

Why should they care? They supported their product. Do any other 3D TV companies have a fix for old receiver models?

If I have to replace my obsolete receiver, so be it. I'm not concerned with Mitsubishi, I'm concerned with the receiver manufacturer, as they knew HDMI 1.4 was coming, and did nothing to prepare.

I didn't replace my non-HDMI receiver until it started acting up. so I'm sure I'll wait until there is more to justify a replacement than just HDMI 1.4 though.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #93 of 150 Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post

Well the theory is that we Sammy's can use it with a compatible Mitsubishi EDID written to the HDMI Detective.

By the way: I tested the Avermedia Solution and as expected it did not work with ESPN 3D; it didn't detect a "3D Display". Don't know if it is going off the EDID or 1.4 HDMI, but it doesn't work either way. I will test it with the HDMI Detective (when it comes in next week) and see if I can fool DirecTV.

Can I get a Hallelujah from the congregation?

I finally got my HDMI Detective and got an EDID from a Samsung UN55C8000XF at BestBuy (Thank you BB!). Hooked it all up to DirecTV ESPN3D and BINGO...GREAT SUCCESS!!!

Tested with StereoPlayer using live video and I didn't see anything. Recorded to MPEG2 and tested with StereoPlayer converting the side-by-side to checkerboard=wait for it....DirecTV logo in glorious 3D!!!

post #94 of 150 Old 06-10-2010, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I finally got my HDMI Detective and got an EDID from a Samsung UN55C8000XF at BestBuy (Thank you BB!). Hooked it all up to DirecTV ESPN3D and BINGO...GREAT SUCCESS!!!

Tested with StereoPlayer using live video and I didn't see anything. Recorded to MPEG2 and tested with StereoPlayer converting the side-by-side to checkerboard=wait for it....DirecTV logo in glorious 3D!!!

Sweet, what kind of Samsung do you have?

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #95 of 150 Old 06-10-2010, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

I'll reserve my Hallelujah, since this is exactly what I see for channel 106, with no HDMI Detective or EDID manipulation, or conversion, on my 2008 Samsung checkerboard-type 3D-ready TV (PN42B450).

Greg Lee
post #96 of 150 Old 06-10-2010, 07:14 PM

He has a Samsung HL61A750.

I need to do the same thing with my Mit 73738 because D* is not handshaking. Can you provide instructions on how to get the Samsung UN55C8000XF EDID into the detective?

I figure if I trick the D* into thinking I have a supported connection, it will allow the SbS 3D signal to go through. My 7378 is able to accept SbS and convert it internally to checkerboard output.
post #97 of 150 Old 06-11-2010, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

I'll reserve my Hallelujah, since this is exactly what I see for channel 106, with no HDMI Detective or EDID manipulation, or conversion, on my 2008 Samsung checkerboard-type 3D-ready TV (PN42B450).

Consider yourself an anomaly as everyone else is getting an error message.

Please note that the side-by-side pic that I captured came from my HTPC and I used Stereoscopic Player to convert it to Checkerboard. I guess I probably should have taken a printscreen of that so you would see the light (tongue in cheek) ;-)
post #98 of 150 Old 06-11-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:

Please note that the side-by-side pic that I captured came from my HTPC and I used Stereoscopic Player to convert it to Checkerboard. I guess I probably should have taken a printscreen of that so you would see the light (tongue in cheek) ;-)

I'm somewhat curious about hardware you used to achieve this? What specific HDMI detective and capture card are you using?

What other possibilities do you think can be achieved using this method?

Would a Mitsubishi checkerboard converter work using an EDID from a mitsubishi TV for example? How about using a Nvidia 3D vision capable 120 hz monitor which isn't HDMI 1.4 to play PS3 games?
post #99 of 150 Old 06-11-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

So, is everything working right? Were you able to watch Mexico vs. South Africa? How is the 3D quality?
post #100 of 150 Old 06-11-2010, 10:44 AM

Doing a similar set up where I am going to Feed the input into my stereo Quadbuffer PC. What Capture Card are you using for the Video Feed to play in Stereo Player?

Quote:

CEO and Founder, Presente3D
Bringing 3D Functionality to Microsoft Powerpoint
http://www.presente3d..com
post #101 of 150 Old 06-11-2010, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Since the World cup is being broadast in 720p SbS it the Mits 738 and 838 models cant not watch them at this time since the 738 an 838 models only support 1080i SbS.
What happened when you tried to have StereoPlayer convert Live SbS content to Checkerboard?
post #102 of 150 Old 06-11-2010, 11:17 AM

"What is unique about the 3D feeds is that ESPN won't be converting them from interlace to progressive for U.S. distribution. ESPN, like ABC and other Disney networks, has long been a believer in the quality and bandwidth efficiency of progressive over interlace, which is why it produces and transmits its programming in 720p/60. But it will deliver the 3D World Cup coverage to DirecTV and Comcast in the 1080i/60 HD format, which will then be transmitted to consumers in the side-by-side "frame-compatible" 3D format supported by both new 3D TVs and existing set-top boxes."

from http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...d_Cup_Pipe.php
post #103 of 150 Old 06-11-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Since the World cup is being broadast in 720p SbS it the Mits 738 and 838 models cant not watch them at this time since the 738 an 838 models only support 1080i SbS.

Well, maybe. But this reasoning does not take account of the possibilities for rescaling along the way. Even if DirecTV gets a 720p feed from ESPN, they could be rescaling it to 1080i. And the satellite receiver can also rescale. And the Mitsubishi TV can also probably rescale. The signal I'm getting for the ESPN 3D channel appears to be 1080i.

Greg Lee
post #104 of 150 Old 06-11-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Greg,
Did you watch the Opening game in 3D this moring or do you have it recorded?
An 1080i SbS and an 720p SbS signal would look exactly the same except for fine detail content.
If you recorded it please try playing in and use your TV's Info button to find out what resolution it is receiving.
post #105 of 150 Old 06-11-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Greg,
Did you watch the Opening game in 3D this moring or do you have it recorded?
An 1080i SbS and an 720p SbS signal would look exactly the same except for fine detail content.
If you recorded it please try playing in and use your TV's Info button to find out what resolution it is receiving.

I did watch, a little, but I didn't record it. My TV is a 720p set, so I don't think it is feasible to judge the resolution by appearance. My TV's Info button said "1080 @60Hz" (the space character means "p") as I watched, but that's because of the way I have my DirecTV box and AVR set up, currently (the stb scales up to 1080i and the AVR scales up to 1080p). Earlier, just looking at the static logo on the channel, as an experiment, I set the stb and AVR both to pass the signal without rescaling, and then the TV's Info button said "1080i@60Hz".

I'm not implying this information is useful --- I'm just answering your question.

Greg Lee
post #106 of 150 Old 06-11-2010, 12:05 PM

I checked into this and the statement is incorrect. Mitsubishi tech said that any SbS signal that is supported by the HDMI port will be fine. Supoorted resolutions are 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i (60Hz).1080p (24Hz, 30Hz, 60Hz).

The reason why I didn't get the game and why Samsung DLP owners got the game (and couldn't watch it properly because they require checkerboard input) is because D* did not included the 738 and 838 EDID in the firmware upgrade as a supported 3D TV, but did included some (maybe all) Samsung DLPs in error.

I am going to the get the detective and store a EDID that is supported so I can unlock the signal.
post #107 of 150 Old 06-11-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Did you ask the Mits Rep why their current specs state that their port only supports 1080i SbS and that he would try and get the spec changed? I know they have an update coming to the 728 and 738 model to support 720p 3D formats and 1080p/24 packed buffer 3D formats in addition to the 1080i SbS format.
post #108 of 150 Old 06-11-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Did you ask the Mits Rep why their current specs state that their port only supports 1080i SbS and that he would try and get the spec changed? I know they have an update coming to the 728 and 738 model to support 720p 3D formats and 1080p/24 packed buffer 3D formats in addition to the 1080i SbS format.

Where do you see that the port only supports 1080i SbS and not 720P SbS? It is a moot point anyway. Directv transmitted in 1080i sbs.
post #109 of 150 Old 06-11-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

So, is everything working right? Were you able to watch Mexico vs. South Africa? How is the 3D quality?

Everything is working but there are a few kinks I need to work out, but probably won't by the time I get the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 Adapter. Here are some of the issues I am having, some of which may be user error:

-Cannot view live video, only analog capture devices listed in Stereoscopic Player
-Can record, but video stutters about every 5 seconds (very annoying and unwatchable IMHO)
-Recorded video is letterboxed, I have no idea why.
-resolution is slightly degraded (live or recorded)

I haven't recorded or watched the whole game, only enough to test it out and see the issues above. I was impressed by the 3D in spite of the issues I had.

Can't wait for the real deal.
post #110 of 150 Old 06-11-2010, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime19 View Post

Where do you see that the port only supports 1080i SbS and not 720P SbS? It is a moot point anyway. Directv transmitted in 1080i sbs.

In order to handle fast action of Soccer ESPN-3D is broadcasting the World Cup in 720p SbS and not 1080i SbS.
Maybe Port was the wrong word however their current specs state that they only support Checkerboard or 1080i SbS 3D content received by their system's HDMI receiver chip.

ESPN-3D changed their origional plans and all of their World Cup broadcasts are in 1080i SbS.
post #111 of 150 Old 06-11-2010, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Everything is working but there are a few kinks I need to work out, but probably won't by the time I get the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 Adapter. Here are some of the issues I am having, some of which may be user error:

-Cannot view live video, only analog capture devices listed in Stereoscopic Player
-Can record, but video stutters about every 5 seconds (very annoying and unwatchable IMHO)
-Recorded video is letterboxed, I have no idea why.
-resolution is slightly degraded (live or recorded)

Can't wait for the real deal.

Apparently you need a more powerfull CPU to convert the input format to the output format.
You need to make sure that you are specifing 16:9 aspect ratio for the output format.
Since you are inputing content in one 1/2 Resolution and outputing in another 1/2 R resolution you are getting 1/4 R resolution output
post #112 of 150 Old 06-14-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

I really doubt it is a CPU issue as I have a Quadcore Phenom II running at 3.6hz. All the rest of the system fast as well.

Specified 16:9 output everywhere possible, but still seeing 4:3 letterboxed.

I now can view live video at 16:9 (via secondary analog capture option in Stereoscopic Player) so I'm good there.

I really don't buy your half to half =1/4 theory as the loss of resolution happens with plain ol' 1080i or 720p.
post #113 of 150 Old 06-14-2010, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I do not think that the Steresoscopic player spoftware is mult-threaded which it means that it can use only one Cpu core at a time.
If you are receiving 3D in 1080i SbS format and outputtig it in checkerboard the following steps have to take place.
The two separate 1/2 R images in SbS have to each be upscaled to full 1080p frames with 1/2 of their colums invented.
Then the content of theses 2 full 1080p frames has to be converted to checkerboard by taking every other pixel in each row from one of the frames and the next pixel for each frame from the other full frame. This reaults in a checkerboard frame where only 1/4 of the pixels in it are from the origional content since 1/2 of the pixels selected for the checkerboard frame are from origiional pixels in the 1/2R full frames and the other half are from the invented pixels in the 1/2 R full frames.
post #114 of 150 Old 06-15-2010, 08:08 AM

Casey,
When do you expect to receive the Mitsubishi converter? Is there a way to program the Gefen box with EDID of a mitsubishi DLP (other than hooking it up)? Otherwise we will each have to go hunting for a TV to use at a store if this works
post #115 of 150 Old 06-20-2010, 12:56 AM

Just an update:

I have a Mits 73738 (native side by side and checkerboard input - checkerboard output) with X102 glasses.

I received a call from a tech at DirecTV who informed me that they did not include the EDIDs for the 738 and 838 series because they didn't have the VSI as well (auto switching to 3D). They said that the adapter is necessary because the VSI will work with all Mitsu DLPs supported by the adapter and the EDID for the adapter was included in D*s 3D firmware upgrade.

I tried to record the channel and although it did record, it recorded the message that the TV was not 3D capable.

I received a Gefen HDMI detective plus on the 12th and went to Best Buy and recorded the EDID from a Samsung True 3D TV that is listed as being supported by D*.

When I plugged D* into the detective and the detective into the TV, I immediately had access to the 3D channel and have been enjoying the games in 3D. The old recording however was the same as before.

If you have an ATI video card, you can get the iZ3D driver and play PC games in 3D as well.

The Onkyo HT-S5300 is a good A/V receiver 7/1 speaker combo as it supports HDMI 1.4 for less than $450. This will allow you to send all of your 3D devices into it and send them all out to the adapter (for pre 2010 or 2010 models without the frame packing firmware upgrade once it is released) or directly to the TV (for upgraded 2010 models).

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone with a 2010 Mitsu DLP.

post #116 of 150 Old 06-20-2010, 06:27 PM

My head is spinning from all of this

Has anyone in here been able to view 3D or play PS3 3D games on their Sammy DLP? I have a 61A750 which I absolutely love but it makes me sick that they are not supporting 3D. I have looked at all of the possible solutions that I could find for 3D viewing but it seems like there is nothing very simple.
post #117 of 150 Old 06-20-2010, 07:14 PM
zxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by drock2k1 View Post

My head is spinning from all of this

Has anyone in here been able to view 3D or play PS3 3D games on their Sammy DLP? I have a 61A750 which I absolutely love but it makes me sick that they are not supporting 3D. I have looked at all of the possible solutions that I could find for 3D viewing but it seems like there is nothing very simple.

just be patient..........first the mits converter box have not been released yet!! some member here are just waiting this device to begin their test with the gefen.....from there we"ll see the result...
post #118 of 150 Old 06-21-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxa View Post

just be patient..........first the mits converter box have not been released yet!! some member here are just waiting this device to begin their test with the gefen.....from there we"ll see the result...

Yeah, I am pretty impatient about the whole thing. It is kind of lame that Sammy owners are pretty much on their own. I contacted Sammy and they said that there are no plans to enable 3D Ready TV's to display the current 3D Technology. I will certainly keep my ears and eyes open for what people are able to do with the Mits box.
post #119 of 150 Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 AM

I think it sucks that Mitsubishi is releasing their converter box a little too late to take advantage of World Cup 3D =(
I am going to spoof the EDID using hdfury2 and get the input to my PC via Hauppage HD PVR. At least that way I can record the matches.

If it proves successful I think you can also spoof the signal going in the mitsubishi converter on a samsung dlp. I'll post my results within a week or so.
post #120 of 150 Old 06-22-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I certainly hope this is true:

"Representatives of Samsung said at a recent press briefing that they expect the Mitsubishi converter box to work with Samsung's own 2008 and 2009 models of 3-D-ready DLP and plasma TVs, which supported the early 3-D content in a similar fashion. In this case, users need to buy the glasses separately."

http://broadcastengineering.com/prod...-3-d-20100622/
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page