Mitsubishi's 3D Converter is Incompatible with Legacy Samsung 3D TV - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 150 Old 06-22-2010, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

I certainly hope this is true:

"Representatives of Samsung said at a recent press briefing that they expect the Mitsubishi converter box to work with Samsung's own 2008 and 2009 models of 3-D-ready DLP and plasma TVs, which supported the early 3-D content in a similar fashion. In this case, users need to buy the glasses separately."

http://broadcastengineering.com/prod...-3-d-20100622/

I immediately went to the article to see how dated it was and found out it was from today. I too hope the writer of the article has his facts straight and, most of all, current!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 150 Old 06-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermyL View Post

I immediately went to the article to see how dated it was and found out it was from today. I too hope the writer of the article has his facts straight and, most of all, current!!

Well the problem is that "Representatives of Samsung said at a recent press briefing" could mean the writer found the reference on Google somewhere and applied a loose definition of "recent".

The truth is that the most recent factual data we have comes directly from Mitsubishi who have stated very specifically that their adapter will use EDID information to work only on their TVs. I'm inclined to give Mitsubishi the last word on their product.

Obviously we can hope but.. looking at alternatives like the Pana player or HDMI spoofing devices is probably the better bet.
post #123 of 150 Old 06-22-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnerd View Post

Well the problem is that "Representatives of Samsung said at a recent press briefing" could mean the writer found the reference on Google somewhere and applied a loose definition of "recent".

The truth is that the most recent factual data we have comes directly from Mitsubishi who have stated very specifically that their adapter will use EDID information to work only on their TVs. I'm inclined to give Mitsubishi the last word on their product.

Obviously we can hope but.. looking at alternatives like the Pana player or HDMI spoofing devices is probably the better bet.

Well, we can hope a bit, until the actual product is released and one of us buys one and tests it, we wont really know. I wouldnt expect Mits or Samsung to give us any useful information at this point.

Also, while it is nice that Panasonic makes their BD player compatible...its really only part of the solution. I still want to be able to play my PS3 and watch cable programming in 3D...so lets keep our fingers crossed that we can get the Mits box to work, either natively or with a EDID spoof.
post #124 of 150 Old 06-22-2010, 12:56 PM

Using the spoof, what all equipment would you need?
post #125 of 150 Old 06-22-2010, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drock2k1 View Post

Using the spoof, what all equipment would you need?

http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-HDMI...7236721&sr=8-1

That's all I believe.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #126 of 150 Old 06-22-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_nemesh View Post

Well, we can hope a bit, until the actual product is released and one of us buys one and tests it, we wont really know. I wouldnt expect Mits or Samsung to give us any useful information at this point.

Also, while it is nice that Panasonic makes their BD player compatible...its really only part of the solution. I still want to be able to play my PS3 and watch cable programming in 3D...so lets keep our fingers crossed that we can get the Mits box to work, either natively or with a EDID spoof.

it sure would be nice for a simple mits solution like this working instead of all the other options and hoops we have to jump through to be able to watch 3d.
post #127 of 150 Old 07-01-2010, 06:23 AM

Has anyone heard about the TRU3D 3D TV Adapter KIT for Samsung 3D DLP HDTV?
Supposedly, it comes with all the components (3DA-1 and HDMI tool) already configured. If that is true than you don't need to find a Mitsubishi TV in order to get the right EDID.
post #128 of 150 Old 07-01-2010, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoshayeb View Post

Has anyone heard about the TRU3D 3D TV Adapter KIT for Samsung 3D DLP HDTV?
Supposedly, it comes with all the components (3DA-1 and HDMI tool) already configured. If that is true than you don't need to find a Mitsubishi TV in order to get the right EDID.

Yea, but it's also almost $100 more than buying them separately.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #129 of 150 Old 07-11-2010, 03:06 PM

So I'm kind of dumb but could someone please lay out in plain english what I need to do to reprogram the mitsibushi adaptor to work on my samsung 67 led dlp.

I have access to a friends Mitsubishi dlp - I just assume not pay $289. Has anyone been able to successfully do this yet? I can see that the adaptor is now apparently available.
post #130 of 150 Old 07-11-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockerrower View Post

So I'm kind of dumb but could someone please lay out in plain english what I need to do to reprogram the mitsibushi adaptor to work on my samsung 67 led dlp.

I have access to a friends Mitsubishi dlp - I just assume not pay $289. Has anyone been able to successfully do this yet? I can see that the adaptor is now apparently available.

The Tru3D kit also includes the Gefen HDMI Detective. http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-HDMI.../dp/B001RIMZUW

It is the Gefen that needs to be programmed (if purchased separately), not the 3D adapter. (edit)

For more info: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18600041

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #131 of 150 Old 07-11-2010, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The last time I checked the Tru3d 3D kit alleady included both the Mits and Samung 3D DLPw as two of the five allready preprogramed EDID choices in their adapter unit.
post #132 of 150 Old 07-11-2010, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

The last time I checked the Tru3d 3D kit alleady included both the Mits and Samung 3D DLPw as two of the five allready preprogramed EDID choices in their adapter unit.

Correct. What I meant was that it was the Gefen that needed to be programmed, not the Mits adapter, as he posted. I assumed he was planning to purchase everything separately.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #133 of 150 Old 07-14-2010, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
To quote myself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post

Has anyone actually tested the engineering side of this and connected the 3DA-1 to a Samsung DLP?

Now that it's out, has someone tried this yet?
post #134 of 150 Old 07-14-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post

To quote myself:

Now that it's out, has someone tried this yet?

I would like to know if the threat is for real also.
post #135 of 150 Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 PM

I am (hopefully) going to start testing tomorrow to see if the HDMI Detective + Starter Kit solution will work for the Samsung.

Assuming it will, I am working on putting the pieces together to offer this to people pre-programmed at a reasonable mark-up. I already have a Mitsubishi DLP here at home. I have a Starter Kit on hold (picking it up tomorrow) and I'm getting an HDMI detective tomorrow as well.

By the way, if anyone is in the LA area and has a Samsung DLP I'd be willing to pay you a small fee to test on it, or get you a hook up on one of these set-ups at cost. Shoot me a PM.
post #136 of 150 Old 07-15-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Correct. What I meant was that it was the Gefen that needed to be programmed, not the Mits adapter, as he posted. I assumed he was planning to purchase everything separately.

I appreciate the help Augerhandle. I was hoping to just buy the separate components and program myself. I didn't know if it was just a simple matter of plugging it into the Mitsibusihi turning it on and then taking it to my Samsung DLP. If it was I just assume save a $100 and get another pair of glasses.

I really want to play 3d games on my PS3 that is the whole issue. Otherwise I would just go with the Panasonic Blu-Ray player. BTW I'll never buy Samsung again. I like the TV but the blu-ray player I bought from them is absolute crap. This 3d issue breaks the camel's back.
post #137 of 150 Old 07-29-2010, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
From the Samsung site FAQ on 3D capable DLP sets:

DLP TV 15-06-2010
How to guides
DLP TV : Can I View 2010 3D Content On My 3D DLP TV?

New 3D devices (such as BluRay Player and Cable Boxes) have been released in 2010 that use different methods of transmitting 3D signals than the 3D DLP TVs released in 2007 and 2008 accept. Due to this, Samsung 3D DLP TVs are not compatible with newly released 3D devices.

Samsung 3D DLP TVs were designed for 3D gaming from a PC using a checkerboard format signal. 3D DLP TVs are currently only compatible with Windows PCs running TriDef 3D software. Click here to visit the TriDef website for more information.

While in the future there may be a device to convert 3D signals to a 3D checkboard format signal, there is currently no such device compatible with Samsung televisions.
post #138 of 150 Old 08-18-2010, 04:19 PM

So I just received my 3DA-1. I hooked it up to my HL-61A750. The PS3 did not unlock the 3d option in the 3d game demos I have. So it appears that the Gefen is necessary to make it happen. I think I'll wait until 3d bluray is enabled on the PS3 before purchasing the Gefen, because I'm still optimistic about the next PS3 firmware update.
post #139 of 150 Old 08-19-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
You should be able to play any games on your PS3 that support checkerboard output and send the checkerboard content directly to your Samsung 750's HDMI-3 port without using an adapter. The adapter does not "unlock" any configuration options that are available on your PS3.
Do you have the recently released 3D gaming firmware update from Sony for your PS3 installed?
post #140 of 150 Old 08-19-2010, 12:29 PM

There are only a couple games (Han Tao and Avatar, let me know if there are others) that support checkerboard output. The rest of the games, (Wipeout, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, Pain, and Super Stardust) use the frame alternating format and DO require the use of the converter, as will the 3D Blu-Ray functionality. Additionally, if you ever plan on watching TV in 3D you will also need the converter (and a 1.4 capable HDMI switch or AVR).
post #141 of 150 Old 08-19-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

You should be able to play any games on your PS3 that support checkerboard output and send the checkerboard content directly to your Samsung 750's HDMI-3 port without using an adapter. The adapter does not "unlock" any configuration options that are available on your PS3.
Do you have the recently released 3D gaming firmware update from Sony for your PS3 installed?

I do have the latest firmware. John below nailed it. I already have Avatar for PS3 and it works beautifully. I was wishing (decided it was worth the plunge) that the 3DA-1 would "enable" the 3d capability in Wipeout, Pacificrift, Pain, and Super Stardust. It does not. The 3da-1 in combination with the HDMI EDID spoofing tool has been confirmed to enable the 3d capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_nemesh View Post

There are only a couple games (Han Tao and Avatar, let me know if there are others) that support checkerboard output. The rest of the games, (Wipeout, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, Pain, and Super Stardust) use the frame alternating format and DO require the use of the converter, as will the 3D Blu-Ray functionality. Additionally, if you ever plan on watching TV in 3D you will also need the converter (and a 1.4 capable HDMI switch or AVR).

post #142 of 150 Old 08-19-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetCoder View Post

So I just received my 3DA-1. I hooked it up to my HL-61A750. The PS3 did not unlock the 3d option in the 3d game demos I have. So it appears that the Gefen is necessary to make it happen. I think I'll wait until 3d bluray is enabled on the PS3 before purchasing the Gefen, because I'm still optimistic about the next PS3 firmware update.

I also have the HL-61A750, and the games WILL show a 3D option even WITHOUT the adaptor (you will get a black screen if you engage 3D though). If you are not seeing the 3D option in your games, go into the Playstation store and download the update/upgrade for the game you are looking to play. I know a separate download was needed for Pain and Super Stardust, I believe a normal "update" added the 3D for Wipeout.

(edit) I should note that I previously had the console hooked up to a Panasonic TCP50VT25. Possibly the "unlocking" occurred when I hooked the PS3 up to that set...
post #143 of 150 Old 08-20-2010, 03:06 PM

Well, I am finally getting my 3DC-1000 Mitsubishi kit. I had a dealer order me up one today! I already purchased the Gefen HDMI Detective, and I will be prowling the local Fry's this weekend to grab a compatible EDID from a display set. I will let you all know how it turns out!
post #144 of 150 Old 09-05-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby View Post

i had already made up my mind before hearing about the mits converter to never buy another samsung product because of the way they treated their customers.i have purchased three tvs and other products from samsung but never again.as far as mits goes i don't understand their priority position. what harm would there be in allowing us to use the converter on our samsung sets?

I don't understand why people are upset with MItts, they are supporting those that purchased their tv's, not another company. How is that wrong, have you tried contacting samsung? I think you are gouping the 2 companies together because of DLP tech, but they are 2 differrent companies.
post #145 of 150 Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 AM

I FINALLY was able to pick up the Mitsubishi 3DC-1000! (it was on backorder at the local distributor for about a month!)

I used the Gefen HDMI Detective ( http://amzn.to/a7gAxX ) to grab the EDID code from a Mitsubishi L75-A91 DLP TV (programming the Detective took all of a minute...hook it up HDMI to the TV set, connect power to the Detective and press the Prgm button until it flashes...done!).

Once home, I unboxed the Mits 3D kit. Inside were 2 pairs of battery powered active shutter glasses, a battery for each pair (CR2025 lithium), a microfiber cloth for cleaning, 2 microfiber pouches for storage of the glasses, the 3DA-1 converter box, a 3-pin DIN cable for connecting the TVs emitter sync output to the input on the 3DA-1, the IR emitter, a power cable, an HDMI cable, and a copy of the Disney 3D sampler Blu-Ray.

Connecting everything is fairly straightforward. I am currently only using a PS3 for 3D, and my AVR does not support HDMI, so I hooked the HDMI straight out of the PS3, to the 3DA-1, from the 3DA-1 to the Gefen HDMI Detective, and finally, out of the HDMI Detective to HDMI 3 on my Samsung HL61-A750. Note that ONLY HDMI 3 will work with 3D on this set! I then hooked the DIN cable from the TVs 3D sync out to the 3D sync in on the 3DA-1, and connected the IR emitter to the 3DA-1 as well. Finally, I connected power and....SHOWTIME!

Or not! I did have some problem with the PS3 recognizing that it was connected to a 3D set. I COULD play some side-by-side 3D content I downloaded off the internet (a trailer for AVATAR, and some soccer in 3D), but I could not play 3D Blu-Rays or the 3D PS3 games! For over an hour, I was pulling my hair out, consulting forums, rebooting the PS3, changing and resetting settings, etc. Nothing I did seemed to affect how the PS3 recognized the 3D capability of my setup. Finally, I did a full reset (holding the power button until the 2nd beep on startup), flipped dip switch "4" on the Gefen HDMI Detective (it controls HDCP compatibility), then reset AGAIN, switching the dip switch back. After that, the PS3 came up and asked my screen size (it defaulted to 75", I changed it back down to 61"). After that, everything works flawlessly!

I played several games in 3D, including Wipeout HD, Pain, Super Stardust HD, and Motorstorm: Pacific Rift (demo). The games were absolutely fantastic! Every one looked great, with good depth and some effects that would come right out at you! While the 3D looked good on Stardust, the racing games, Wipeout and Motorstorm were really where I felt 3D added to the experience. It is absolutely AMAZING how immersive these games get when you add 3D!

Moving on, I plugged in the demo disc Panasonic provides with their BDT350 Blu-Ray players. I selected several clips, including the "Astro Boy" trailer, and several video clips of everything from dirt bikes to mariachi bands and mexican dancers. Everything looked great! The 3D effect was very convincing, and the colors looked good, even through the glasses.

I did notice that the blacks were not as deep and on a screen with a LOT of black (specifically some menu screens), looked faintly red tinged. I am not sure if this is the TV set trying to compensate for the tint of the glasses or something else. On normal content, this red tint was not noticeable. It only happens when I engage the 3D mode on the TV set. I will have to investigate a bit further to see if I can correct for this in the TVs user settings.

I also did notice, watching the Blu-Ray content, that there is a slight softness to the picture. This is no doubt due to the "checkerboard" 3D mode that DLP displays use. Instead of a full 1080p image to each eye, each eye only sees half the resolution of the screen. This was less obvious on the PS3s 3D games, because the games run natively at 720p. However, I have to say that the overall experience was still VERY impressive. I was more than happy to trade a slight drop in resolution for the 3D experience!

Overall I am VERY happy with the 3D capabilities of my set. While the picture doesnt look quite as good as the latest 3D Plasma and LED sets on the market, it still looks VERY good! I am THRILLED to find that the TV set I purchased a year and a half ago and the PlayStation I bought THREE YEARS AGO are compatible with the latest 3D technology! I am a bit upset that I had to find a workaround for Mitsubishi's inane last minute lock out that restricted the use of the 3DA-1 to Mitsubishi sets only, and I am a bit more upset that Samsung isn't offering ANY upgrade for their customers, but I am very glad that at least there is a solution out there!

I hope that whoever is attempting this upgrade finds this post useful. Good luck and have fun!
post #146 of 150 Old 10-14-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
post #147 of 150 Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

This may soon be changing!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1283001

This is good news...but, aside from being able to re-sell the HDMI Detective, its not really going to affect me! A classic case of being a day late and a dollar short!
post #148 of 150 Old 10-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I did notice that the blacks were not as deep and on a screen with a LOT of black (specifically some menu screens), looked faintly red tinged. I am not sure if this is the TV set trying to compensate for the tint of the glasses or something else. On normal content, this red tint was not noticeable. It only happens when I engage the 3D mode on the TV set. I will have to investigate a bit further to see if I can correct for this in the TVs user settings.

Re-name HDMI 3 to "PC". This will help with the red tint, apparently.
post #149 of 150 Old 10-18-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

The input is already named "PC". Most of the settings for picture control are grayed out and not selectable when 3D mode is engaged. I guess I will just have to live with it.
post #150 of 150 Old 12-31-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
Changing the name of the input to "PC" helps with the red bleedover...NOT with the red tint.

I too have the red tint on my 61A750. Been searching and searching and it seems this is normal and is used to compensate for the color shift when wearing the shutter glasses since, when you're wearing the glasses, the blacks do look black...for the most part. I wish it didn't have the red tint, though!

Some with this set say they can't see the red tint so I don't know if they're just not sure what to look for or if there is a defect in some sets.

Here's an example:
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page