Best 2D to 3D conversions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 05-09-2010, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since there is little 3D content coming out in the near future I tought it would be interesting to start a thread were people could share there experience on what movies/games/series worked really well with the 2D to 3D conversion.
This way we can al enjoy some form of 3D untill more 3D blu-ray's come out.

-Chris

ps. Still waiting for my PS50C7000 so I can't help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-09-2010, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xriz View Post

Since there is little 3D content coming out in the near future I tought it would be interesting to start a thread were people could share there experience on what movies/games/series worked really well with the 2D to 3D conversion.
This way we can al enjoy some form of 3D untill more 3D blu-ray's come out.

-Chris

ps. Still waiting for my PS50C7000 so I can't help.

I've heard mixed reports on Gears of War 2. Apparently, this game was demoed using the conversion process, and some people who played thought it was pretty amazing, thinking that the game almost seemed like it was deliberately made that way, and I've also heard people say that they thought it was pretty horrible. Still, I'd like to check it out first hand myself and see.
post #3 of 29 Old 05-26-2010, 08:45 PM

Apart from Samsung, which companies will performe 2D to 3D conversion on their 3D models ? Sony ? LG ? i know panny plasmas don't do it....
post #4 of 29 Old 05-28-2010, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Any converted stuff looks like crap to me. If they want this to take off they need to produce 3D native.
post #5 of 29 Old 06-03-2010, 07:42 AM

I've been playing Alan Wake on my 360 with the 2d to 3d conversion. It works really well, except when there are changes from dark to light or flash of light, the glasses flicker for a second.

I'm still not sure if this is my TV (had the last one replaced because of this, but the new one does it too). Can anyone else try this game?

:)
post #6 of 29 Old 06-03-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I thought "Red Dead Redemption" on the Xbox 360 looked great with the conversion.
post #7 of 29 Old 06-19-2010, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I had to hunt for this thread. I'm curious what others are experiencing while watching 2D to 3D conversion.

I have to confess up front that at first I didn't like 2D to 3D conversion on the Samsung TVs. There are lots of drawbacks, of course, and it will never be the equal of native 3D. I occasionally get a bit queasy when the conversion fails badly.

For me, the most serious downside is what the conversion does to human beings. Instead of having a rounded, natural look, figures can look like cardboard cutouts. Long shots of people usually look best to me, while closeups can suffer from "flat face," where flattened facial appearance can almost look concave at times. It can be very disturbing.

That said, there have been a few shows that look pretty decent and that I've actually enjoyed more than I've hated.

Avatar was the obvious choice, and it works about as well as anything I've viewed in conversion mode on my Samsung plasma. Since it was shot and edited as a native 3D film, it lends itself to conversion. That is, it avoids an abundance of fast cuts and gives the viewer a chance to explore each 3D shot. I find fast cuts frustrating in 3D. Even something as simple as a still of 3D graphics works better if I can explore the individual elements. Avatar also works hard to provide foreground, middleground and background objects, to accentuate 3D space.

These qualities also work in some TV shows that I've watched in conversion mode lately. I watched a couple of episodes of Firefly the other day and noticed immediately that the framing of shots had distinct fore, middle and background objects. The smallish quarters aboard Serenity opened up when conversion isolated individual objects and set them apart from the rest of the elements in the shots.

I'm a fan of Eureka, the Syfy series. I decided to see how well it would translate to 3D. I was very pleasantly surprised by how convincing some of the spaces were in faux 3D. Inside Cafe Diem, the counters and seats had a rally solid 3D feel, and the perspective was remarkably convincing. I noticed also that Eureka avoids fast paced editing for the most part. The actors are capable of delivering lines in extended shots, which helps.

Lighting is at least as important to the conversion process as any other single element. Good lighting technique, creating distinct separations of objects, and good back light (and hair light), help the process. Flat lighting, and low contrast shots, generally don't work as well and don't have much "pop." I liked the Fan Favorites Blu-ray disc of the first and last episodes of Stargate Atlantis. Although it was IMO not a very good Syfy series, its lighting was always among the best on television. It lends itself to conversion, especially in shots such as those in the control rooms.

With the dearth of real 3D, I find myself drawn to conversion. When real 3D films start to appear in larger numbers, it will become less and less attractive. That's only natural. Meanwhile, I'll probably watch 2D to 3D fairly frequently. I'm glad I got a set that has the option, and I regret being so quick to dismiss it a few weeks ago. As much as anything else, it swayed me toward the Samsung instead of the Panasonic. I also happen to like the Samsung plasma's image, even though the Panasonic probably has the edge in certain areas. In terms of 3D, they're very close.

Joe Clark

post #8 of 29 Old 06-19-2010, 05:45 PM

Been playing modern warfare 2 on xbox 360 and its seems like this tv cant handle the fast pace or something. I get alot of blur and lag motion. I set it to game mode the lag seems to help but the blur is pretty bad. Anyone have this issue?
post #9 of 29 Old 06-20-2010, 07:31 AM

Someone please please please tell me how to convert xbox 360 games for 3d
post #10 of 29 Old 06-20-2010, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Turn on 2D > 3D conversion.
post #11 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 05:09 AM

I've tried quite a few movies using the 2D to 3D conversion, with mixed results. Avatar was good, but not great. Alice in Wonderland, didn't seem to work too well. Wife and I took off the glasses and switched back to 2D mode about a 1/3 of the way through. Star Wars, A New Hope was decent, but not great.

By far the best experience I've had with 2D to 3D conversion was UP. Maybe because it was originally intended for 3D, but the images just seemed to be more eye popping and have more depth than other conversions.
post #12 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syngefinger View Post

I've tried quite a few movies using the 2D to 3D conversion, with mixed results. Avatar was good, but not great. Alice in Wonderland, didn't seem to work too well. Wife and I took off the glasses and switched back to 2D mode about a 1/3 of the way through. Star Wars, A New Hope was decent, but not great.

By far the best experience I've had with 2D to 3D conversion was UP. Maybe because it was originally intended for 3D, but the images just seemed to be more eye popping and have more depth than other conversions.

I'll give "Up" a try. I wasn't as excited about the film in its theatrical release as everyone else seemed to be. (The reviews were often glowing.)

I find that I have to be in the mood for conversion. Maybe it's a result of being really 3D-hungry, but sometimes it just seems to work better for me. If I'm not hungry, I don't enjoy it nearly as much.

Joe Clark

post #13 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I'll give "Up" a try. I wasn't as excited about the film in its theatrical release as everyone else seemed to be. (The reviews were often glowing.)

I find that I have to be in the mood for conversion. Maybe it's a result of being really 3D-hungry, but sometimes it just seems to work better for me. If I'm not hungry, I don't enjoy it nearly as much.

Funny you should mention not being very excited about seeing UP. I felt the same way, it just didn't seem to be like it'd be very interesting. Once I'd rented it after it was released several months ago, I simply LOVED it. I should have know that being from Pixar that'd it great.
post #14 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syngefinger View Post

Funny you should mention not being very excited about seeing UP. I felt the same way, it just didn't seem to be like it'd be very interesting. Once I'd rented it after it was released several months ago, I simply LOVED it. I should have know that being from Pixar that'd it great.

I'm gonna go check it out right now.

Joe Clark

post #15 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 12:44 PM

This is what I like on 2D-3D conversions so far:

Movies:
Monsters, Inc.
Monster House
Lord of the Rings (all)
The Mummy
Raiders of the Lost Ark (hit or miss, but some scenes are really good!)

TV:
Wipeout! (ABC) - It's a big obsticle course that looks pretty good in the conversion. New season starts this week!

PS3:
Ratchet & Clank (either one)
Infamous
Folklore
Uncharted
Batman: Arkham Asylum

XBOX 360:
Burnout (all)
Need for Speed Shift
Split Second
Forza (all)

Games where you control the camera and have a lot of "outdoor" places allow you to set up some great 3D-looking images. Arham Asylum works really well too, thought I'm not surprised because they've got a 3D version out with the red-blue glasses. Wish they'd release a true 3D version!

Like Joseph, I've noticed fast cut-scenes are unwatchable, especially Bourne movies. Unfortunately this seems to be all the rage for action movies in Hollywood these days.

Next up to evaluate:
God of War 3
Dante's Inferno
IL2 Sturmovik
Thrillville: Off the Rails
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Star Wars: Clone Wars (season 2)
Bones (season 1)
Young Indiana Jones (season 1)

NJ Chris, I'll try Alan Wake today...
post #16 of 29 Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I read an interview with a guy who was a pioneer in music video, and he says it's actually easier to edit for 3D. That's because wider, longer shots work better in 3D. People don't want fast cuts. They want a chance to explore the shot. They can't do that if there are 10 cuts in 3 seconds. Making fast cuts is far more challenging and work intensive for an editor. It's easier is set up a visually interesting shot and let people explore its 3D richness over a longer period of time.

Joe Clark

post #17 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I read an interview with a guy who was a pioneer in music video, and he says it's actually easier to edit for 3D. That's because wider, longer shots work better in 3D. People don't want fast cuts. They want a chance to explore the shot. They can't do that if there are 10 cuts in 3 seconds. Making fast cuts is far more challenging and work intensive for an editor. It's easier is set up a visually interesting shot and let people explore its 3D richness over a longer period of time.

I think fast cut scenes are being done now more as a sense of style, and to simulate a frantic pace. It's really a shame, as I can't stand it. I won't watch a movie filmed by McG, he's the worst offender.

Last night I used the conversion on Star Wars The Force Unleashed and it was pretty good. However, IL2 Sturmovik was great, especially the opening footage. Like racing games, flying lends itself well to the conversion. I would expect that Blazing Angels and Ace Combat 6 also look good. Heck, I might even have to break out Crimson Skies for the original Xbox since it plays on the 360...
post #18 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamaholic View Post

I think fast cut scenes are being done now more as a sense of style, and to simulate a frantic pace. It's really a shame, as I can't stand it. I won't watch a movie filmed by McG, he's the worst offender.

Last night I used the conversion on Star Wars The Force Unleashed and it was pretty good. However, IL2 Sturmovik was great, especially the opening footage. Like racing games, flying lends itself well to the conversion. I would expect that Blazing Angels and Ace Combat 6 also look good. Heck, I might even have to break out Crimson Skies for the original Xbox since it plays on the 360...

I think one of the main reasons I was so put off by conversion initially was that I watched parts of the new J.J. Abrams Star Trek film with conversion engaged on a Samsung LED 3D TV. I loved the movie on 2D Blu-ray, but the fast paced editing and visually complex shots didn't lend themselves to 2D to 3D conversion at all. It was hard to tolerate for even a minute. Yechhh!

Joe Clark

post #19 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 06:38 PM

Glad I found this thread. I've been debating over getting a new Mits WD60738 or a Samsung PN58C7000. Both will do everything I'm looking for in a new 3d set, with the exception of 2d -> 3d conversion on the Samsung. Most of my TV time will be spent watching sports and playing games (Xbox) with a few movies. I plan on hooking my PC up to it eventually. So I guess my question is, how well does it perform and is it worth the extra cost compared to the DLP.
post #20 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead11 View Post

Glad I found this thread. I've been debating over getting a new Mits WD60738 or a Samsung PN58C7000. Both will do everything I'm looking for in a new 3d set, with the exception of 2d -> 3d conversion on the Samsung. Most of my TV time will be spent watching sports and playing games (Xbox) with a few movies. I plan on hooking my PC up to it eventually. So I guess my question is, how well does it perform and is it worth the extra cost compared to the DLP.

That would be a very personal choice. Try them out as much as you possible can. I watched for hours and hours on all the 3D sets I could find, in stores all over my city. Many of the sales people just smiled when they saw me come in.

The sets all feel different. There are trade-offs with all of them. LCD doesn't look as good off axis. Panasonic plasmas probably have better black levels and contrast than Samsung plasmas, but they don't do conversion. For some people, who can't stand conversion, that's no big deal. For others, it's a deal breaker. DLP gives you more screen real estate for a much lower cost, and bigger is most definitely better with 3D. DLP doesn't feel quite as "solid" to me as either plasma or LCD. (Is that vague enough? ) You won't ever burn an image into a DLP. You might on a plasma.

The best thing to do is watch as much as you can and find out what's most important for you in a 3D set. No amount of asking others, or reading reviews, will substitute for that. A year from now, all the manufacturers will have sets that do 3D better, and cost less. You can take that to the bank.

Joe Clark

post #21 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 08:38 PM

I've done my share of reading these forums and doing online research as well as in-store viewing. From what I've seen, I prefer Samsung's picture over Panasonics. I'm steering clear of LED LCD, because I don't think it's worth the extra cost. I own a Mits DLP (xx725) and a 720p Panasonic (X1), so I know what each technology has to offer. What I am not sure of, and I guess I'll just have to see for myself, is how well the 2d -> 3d conversion works.
post #22 of 29 Old 06-22-2010, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

At first, I didn't care for conversion very much. Even now, I don't want to watch it every day, but I'm glad I have it as an option. For the next few months, it looks like (unless you're a gamer) there's little reason to buy a 3D TV. How many times can you watch the Panasonic demo disc, or a few animated features? Conversion, even as unsettling as it often is, can fill the void a little. When I start to get regular content, I'm pretty certain I won't use it very often.

Joe Clark

post #23 of 29 Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 AM

Yeah, I'm hoping the coversion fills the void a bit until regular content is available (however long that will be) and somehow justifies the large price difference between the two sets. I'll have to check it out and see how much I care for it. It will also give me a little time to check out more reviews of the Mits 738, of which I have not seen very many. Thanks for the help.
post #24 of 29 Old 07-08-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syngefinger View Post

By far the best experience I've had with 2D to 3D conversion was UP.

Can anyone tell me what is 'UP'?
post #25 of 29 Old 07-16-2012, 02:06 AM

Has anyone actually tried all 2D to 3D conversion of LG, Samsung, Sony TV sets? I can only relate to LG's. The feature is alright and fun to play around with 2D videos but of course it will never replace real 3D (like Avatar)
post #26 of 29 Old 07-16-2012, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing3DTVFan View Post

Has anyone actually tried all 2D to 3D conversion of LG, Samsung, Sony TV sets? I can only relate to LG's. The feature is alright and fun to play around with 2D videos but of course it will never replace real 3D (like Avatar)

To me the fake 2D->3D conversion whether done by the TV or by post-processing for films that were only shot in 2D but released as 3D, has a "Cardboard cutout" look where objects are in the foreground or background, but no depth within the object/person like with real 3D.
post #27 of 29 Old 07-16-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualpaul View Post

Can anyone tell me what is 'UP'?

Up (Four-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + BD Live) [Blu-ray] (2009)

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Disc-Blu-ray-DVD-Combo-Live/dp/B001KVZ6G6/ref=sr_1_4?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1342430929&sr=1-4&keywords=up
post #28 of 29 Old 07-16-2012, 02:35 AM

I don't believe the 3D conversion (HW or SW) very bad visione and headache !
only native 3D smile.gif
post #29 of 29 Old 07-16-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 122
My Samsung BD6700 does 2D-3D conversion and I've found that many movies, especially the older ones, look like utter shite. LOTR: Return of the King, however, looks pretty exceptional. There is something about the conversion that brings out eyestrain where I don't get it in native 3D movies or even hollywood conversions.

Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page