Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 250 Old 11-23-2010, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
"I think the splitter is behaving as designed"

I agree. It is not designed so that the hdmi ports are separate in their logic. Both ports default to the lowest common denominator.

I'm sure we'll see splitters that are designed to keep each port separate.

"you'd need a firmware update on the AVR"

Sorry but it is not the case that just a firmware update will allow a 1.3 receiver to handle 1.4 information. IF a receiver is designed to do so and just needs to be updated, like some of our displays, yes a firmware is needed. But if a receiver is 1.3 and its hardware is 1.3 a firmware update will not change its hardware design.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 250 Old 11-24-2010, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

"you'd need a firmware update on the AVR"

Sorry but it is not the case that just a firmware update will allow a 1.3 receiver to handle 1.4 information. IF a receiver is designed to do so and just needs to be updated, like some of our displays, yes a firmware is needed. But if a receiver is 1.3 and its hardware is 1.3 a firmware update will not change its hardware design.

You missed the part in my post that said "unfortunately not all receivers can be updated."

It really depends on what chip the AVR is using for the HDMI portion, and the implementation. Not counting the Ethernet-over-HDMI or backchannel audio stuff in HDMI 1.4, but focusing on 3D capabilities, the PHY (physical layer) of HDMI 1.3a and 1.4 are identical. My point is that the only necessary update is in firmware, if it's designed to be flashable at all.
post #183 of 250 Old 11-25-2010, 08:21 AM

Liked: 11
I'd say the more important factor of whether an 1.3 AVR is updatable is whether the manufacturer WANTS to update it.
It's tough to sell new AVRs if the old ones can be made to work just as well.

There's nothing like a new feature to sell the same products (for the most part) over again.
post #184 of 250 Old 11-30-2010, 08:04 AM

As anyone tryed the following set up assuming the AVR can accept 3d video?
Connect the player (PS3 in my case) to the AVR using HDMI and output the PS3 sound to the amp through toslink? I am asking because I currently have a Marantz SR6003 and I'm about to receive my 46NX810 3d TV soon and I'm really not sure what kind of set up I could use to have 3d withouth having to plug my PS3 directly to my TV.
Thanks!
post #185 of 250 Old 12-01-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guigui_paris View Post

Has anyone tried the following set up assuming the AVR can accept 3d video?
Connect the player (PS3 in my case) to the AVR using HDMI and output the PS3 sound to the amp through toslink? I am asking because I currently have a Marantz SR6003 and I'm about to receive my 46NX810 3d TV soon and I'm really not sure what kind of set up I could use to have 3d without having to plug my PS3 directly to my TV.
Thanks!

You can use toslink, but it limits you to 5.1 channels. This might be ok for you, depending on your speaker setup, but you'll lose DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD formats. The other thing to note is that the PS3 cannot actually output 7.1 channels when playing back blu-ray 3D (maybe it will in a newer PS3 firmware, but seems to be a hardware limitation). I'm not sure if there are even any BD3D titles that have 7.1 audio...

It will probably work for 3D games, when going through your AVR. Try it out and report back your results.

Lastly, I didn't see any firmware downloads for your model on Marantz website, but you might want to call them to check if there is one that is available (if passing 3D doesn't work)

Code:
Marantz Product Support and Customer Service
(201) 762-6666 
Hours of Operation:  9:00AM to 5:00PM ET, M-F
post #186 of 250 Old 12-01-2010, 08:15 AM

I surely will report my resuts here.
I do not really mind loosing HD sound as I watch the very few 3D BD but as a workaround I think outputing image through HDMI and sound through toslink from the PS3 might work.
I will be delivered my NX810 next week so I'll have to wait until then to keep you posted.
On french forums people are reporting they can get 3D image using a Marantz SR5003 which is the same as the SR6003 but with only 1 HDMI output so guess my amp can let 3D passing through.

Many thnaks for the Marantz contact number. I'l give them a call but really doubt they will update the firmware.
Cheers
post #187 of 250 Old 12-01-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:

On french forums people are reporting they can get 3D image using a Marantz SR5003 which is the same as the SR6003 but with only 1 HDMI output so guess my amp can let 3D passing through.

They are reporting Blu-Ray 3D through the SR5003? or just other sources such as satellite/cable/3D games ? They all use slightly different formats, and seems the one that most people have problems passing are Blu-ray 3D.

Quote:

Many thanks for the Marantz contact number. I'll give them a call but really doubt they will update the firmware.
Cheers

Je suis désolé, I should have guessed from your username that you are in France. Bienvenue! I couldn't find a number, but here is an e-mail contact form for Marantz Europe:

http://www.marantz-faq.eu/?action=contact
post #188 of 250 Old 12-01-2010, 10:07 PM

Actually I am french yes but live in the US..so more than happy with the US contact for Marantz. Thanks
post #189 of 250 Old 12-13-2010, 01:27 PM

Hello! I have Onkyo 1007 (HDMI 1.3) and now I have 3D Plasma Samsung 63C7000 and I need to connect 3D BD player. Can I get 3D video from BD through AV-receiver to my Plasma with analogue 7.1 sound or via TOSlink?
Or can I use HDMI switcher and connect HDMI out from AVR and HDMI out from 3D BD to switcher input and connect switcher output to Plasma HDMI input?
Sorry but I can't connect Plasma and 3D BD with second HDMI cable. HD Audio is not necessary (or I can get HD Audio through 7.1 analogue).
post #190 of 250 Old 12-13-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter0328 View Post

Stupid Onkyo not releasing an update to the 707

Luckily, onkyo came out with the ht-s9300thx, which is 3d ready with 1.4a inputs...I'm lucky I had the good taste to get one since I just bought a panny gt25...tv has arrived, just waiting on the glasses from fedex...
post #191 of 250 Old 12-14-2010, 05:37 PM

I have an Onkyo 605, which does only 1.3. I am able to output 3d from my HTPC setup (using the Radeon HD5670 - HDMI 1.3 output) to my Mitsubishi 65638. I was able to watch the Avatar 3d BR and RE: Afterlife 3d BR discs with no problems.

I was also able to play COD: Black Ops on the 360 in 3d mode.

One issue I did find was that the PS3 (whose firmware was written to specifically enable 3d over 1.3b) wouldn't work when I run it through the receiver. But because the PS3 forces DTS-HD and TrueHD down to DTS / DD when running 3D (bandwith issues), I just decided to run the PS3 directly to the 3d adapter and run an optical cable to the receiver.

I am at a loss as to why the Onkyo appears to handle the Xbox and HTPC 3D just fine but can't handle the PS3. I'm considering getting an HDMI splitter, one going to the receiver and the other to the 3d adapter. Anyone have luck with that?
post #192 of 250 Old 12-15-2010, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dork4638 View Post

I have an Onkyo 605, which does only 1.3. I am able to output 3d from my HTPC setup (using the Radeon HD5670 - HDMI 1.3 output) to my Mitsubishi 65638. I was able to watch the Avatar 3d BR and RE: Afterlife 3d BR discs with no problems.

I was also able to play COD: Black Ops on the 360 in 3d mode.

One issue I did find was that the PS3 (whose firmware was written to specifically enable 3d over 1.3b) wouldn't work when I run it through the receiver. But because the PS3 forces DTS-HD and TrueHD down to DTS / DD when running 3D (bandwith issues), I just decided to run the PS3 directly to the 3d adapter and run an optical cable to the receiver.

I am at a loss as to why the Onkyo appears to handle the Xbox and HTPC 3D just fine but can't handle the PS3. I'm considering getting an HDMI splitter, one going to the receiver and the other to the 3d adapter. Anyone have luck with that?

Search this thread for my posts.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #193 of 250 Old 12-21-2010, 12:14 AM

I went ahead and bought the Monoprice 4x2 splitter referenced in the thread. The same issues remain, just slightly different. I have the TV, PS3, 360 and HTPC going into the splitter, with output A going into the Mitsubishi adapter, and output B going into the Onkyo 605.

The PS3 still cannot recognize my TV as a 3D capable device. When I plugged it directly to the adapter, it immediately recognized it. So then I replugged it back into the splitter, and was able to play 3d games on it - but sound through HDMI (output B) disappeared, forcing me to use the optical output. This phenomenon does not happen when I play non-3d games. Also, sound coming out of Output B is being downgraded to 2-channel PCM, I cannot get Output B to put out DD 5.1 / DTS / other High-Res audio.

I'm thinking it's just not in the cards for me to have the type of setup that won't require me to physically unplug and replug if I want to watch 3d content. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #194 of 250 Old 12-21-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dork4638 View Post

I went ahead and bought the Monoprice 4x2 splitter referenced in the thread. The same issues remain, just slightly different. I have the TV, PS3, 360 and HTPC going into the splitter, with output A going into the Mitsubishi adapter, and output B going into the Onkyo 605.

The PS3 still cannot recognize my TV as a 3D capable device. When I plugged it directly to the adapter, it immediately recognized it. So then I replugged it back into the splitter, and was able to play 3d games on it - but sound through HDMI (output B) disappeared, forcing me to use the optical output. This phenomenon does not happen when I play non-3d games. Also, sound coming out of Output B is being downgraded to 2-channel PCM, I cannot get Output B to put out DD 5.1 / DTS / other High-Res audio.

I'm thinking it's just not in the cards for me to have the type of setup that won't require me to physically unplug and replug if I want to watch 3d content. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That happens on occasion - press the reset button on the 4x2 switch and you'll get back the HD audio. As you've discovered - you have to connect the PS3 to the AVR 'first' via HDMI then config your audio, do the same for video (Directly connect the HDMI to the adapter) - then connect the HDMI to the 4x2 to get full HD audio and video. I learned the hard way the first time.

post #195 of 250 Old 12-21-2010, 10:28 AM

Wryker,

Thanks for the info. I will try it the ordering you suggested. Hopefully this will resolve the audio downgrade issue with the 360 and HTPC as well. Will report back my results.

Thanks again!
post #196 of 250 Old 12-21-2010, 10:38 PM

Tried everything that was suggested. I can't get ps3 to output sound via hdmi when playing a 3d game. Thanks for the help guys but it looks like my combination of devices doesn't seem to agree with this splitter.
post #197 of 250 Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 AM

One last update, the splitter works just fine on my other components (360 & HTPC). It stopped sending down-mixed 2 ch audio to the receiver yesterday, providing high-res audio. As for the PS3, I decided to go with an optical cable when playing 3D games and use HDMI audio when playing non-3d titles or movies.
post #198 of 250 Old 12-22-2010, 05:14 PM

I have Output A of the 4x2 switch going to the 3DA adapter, output B going to receiver.

I find that when setting up the PS3, you have to have output A turned on, and TV has to be set to that input. Output B has to be off. The PS3 will detect that it is a 3D capable TV. (only had to do this once)

For PS3 HDMI audio setup, I do the opposite (A off, B on), TV set to AVR input, tell it to detect. (have to do this every time I switch between HDMI and Toslink or back)

Sometimes when using 3D modes with PS3, I have to press the reset button on the switch. I always set my TV to the 3DA input, and AVR to the switch-Output-B input before I press reset.

When playing blu-ray 3D, I have to use Toslink for audio. also set audio option to Bitstream (mix) during movie playback.

If you have 5.1 speaker setup, it's probably most convenient to keep PS3 output over Toslink. If you have 7.1 speakers, try the HDMI like above.

My HTPC audio is output over multi-channel analog and direct PC->TV through DVI->HDMI cable. (my video card doesn't support audio passthrough)
post #199 of 250 Old 12-23-2010, 05:02 AM

I have a 3d projector. I need to pass the signal from the PS3 and my games pc to my projector via my AV HDMI 1.3 receiver.
But my projector only runs at 720p, a much lower resolution with lower bandwidth. Is that going to help the situation, or is hdmi 1.4 needed for syncing as well as bandwidth.
post #200 of 250 Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Has anyone successfully passed audio with no video from the subHDMI output of a Panny 300/350 through an Onkyo 705 Rcvr ????????

You can try to switch off the HDMI monitor in the setup menu, see your manual....
I have the 875 there it's only a push on a button....
post #201 of 250 Old 03-03-2011, 04:24 PM

"Actually, the Panasonic 3D Blu-ray players will convert the frame sequential 3D to checkerboard. This how those of us with DLP 3D ready televisions are able to view 3D Blu-ray without a converter."

I have a question regarding this. I am thinking of buying an Onkyo TX-NR1008 AV receiver to use with these two. Would the fact that it is HDMI 1.4 cause any problems with either the Mits 82837 or the checker board 3D output of the Panasonic Blu Ray player?

Thanks in advance for feedback.
post #202 of 250 Old 03-04-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawson View Post

I am thinking of buying an Onkyo TX-NR1008 AV receiver to use with these two. Would the fact that it is HDMI 1.4 cause any problems with either the Mits 82837 or the checker board 3D output of the Panasonic Blu Ray player?

There used to be a Panasonic BD-3D player model that had 2 HDMI outputs - 1 for the picture/sound, and a second one for Audio-only. This was popular because it let people use their HDMI 1.3 audio receiver, and their DLP TV. I never bought it cause it was $400 and I already had a PS3, so was cheaper for me to get the Mitsubishi 3D adapter. I did a brief search of newer Panasonic BD-3D players, and none that I could find have this same dual-hdmi output feature.

It's nice if Panasonic outputs the format, but it's not technically part of the 3D HDMI 1.4 specification (even though they included 7 or 8 other obscure formats). The checkerboard format is 1080p@60Hz, which any HDMI 1.4 receiver should have the bandwidth to pass through and decode. Unfortunately you won't know until you try it (or look through other threads on the forums here)

What do you plan to use for shutter glasses?
post #203 of 250 Old 03-04-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawson View Post

"Actually, the Panasonic 3D Blu-ray players will convert the frame sequential 3D to checkerboard. This how those of us with DLP 3D ready televisions are able to view 3D Blu-ray without a converter."

I have a question regarding this. I am thinking of buying an Onkyo TX-NR1008 AV receiver to use with these two. Would the fact that it is HDMI 1.4 cause any problems with either the Mits 82837 or the checker board 3D output of the Panasonic Blu Ray player?

Thanks in advance for feedback.

If you already have an AVR that has audio component inputs the lowest cost 3D BD player to get full HD audio is the Samsung C5900 or C6900. I bought a C6900 for $150 from the 'zon's outlet store and hooked up the audio via component 7.1 and the HDMI for the video out - lossless HD audio (Denon 3808) and perfect 3D picture (Mitsy 73835).

post #204 of 250 Old 11-27-2011, 02:12 PM

Hi all long time no see.

I just picked up a samsung 8000 seies and figured out my AVR-987 won't pass the 3D. I am running a PS3 and have the hdmi from ps3 going to tv and I am using an optical audio cable from PS3 to receiver. I made sure the optical in was set correctly but still can't get sound. Any thoughts are appreciated!!!
post #205 of 250 Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farlaugh View Post

Hi all long time no see.

I just picked up a samsung 8000 seies and figured out my AVR-987 won't pass the 3D. I am running a PS3 and have the hdmi from ps3 going to tv and I am using an optical audio cable from PS3 to receiver. I made sure the optical in was set correctly but still can't get sound. Any thoughts are appreciated!!!

Did you set the PS3 to output sound via optical in the PS3's sound settings tab?
post #206 of 250 Old 11-28-2011, 11:41 AM

I am still confused about the limitation from The receiver for HDMI 1.3 and 1.4. I have a yamaha RXv665 and i fought the same problem that everyone had to keep using only HDMI cables with all my devices PS3, XBOX360, Cable Box, 3D TV and AppleTV.

Why do we have limitation on the AVR side? Why it does not just pass the signal? from what i read it is the new protocol is about new fields in the EDID headers.. I do not see why this can not be fixed by software update in the AVR unless there is a chip that does the transfer for the HDMI switch that is not fast enough for 3D..
post #207 of 250 Old 01-02-2012, 06:31 AM

I was able to get 3D Working BD , Nvidia 3dTV play etc on my Onkyo SR577 which is an HDMI 1.3 Receiver --> Samsung D6000 Series HDMI 1.4a HDTV.

Here is what I did , setup DualView

Geforce GTX 560 DVI -> HDMI 1 of the TV
Geforce GTX 560 HDMI -> HDMI 1 of the Onkyo SR577 --> HDMI 2 of the TV

Enabled DVI Display as the Primary Display
Under Audio set the Default Audio to SR577

And now everything works like Out of the BOX.

3DTV play
3D Videos
3d Blu Ray with HD Audio (True HD and Master Audio )

Added screen shots !
LL
LL
LL
post #208 of 250 Old 01-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Chet- I currently have the ps3-->Onkyo 875(does not pass 3d)-->samsung 550 all via hdmi. on the samsung I press the 3d button & voila 3d!!! Is this correct or am I getting a "filtered" version if 3d from the samsung?
post #209 of 250 Old 01-02-2012, 05:56 PM

mic thats just one part of 3D. There are as far as i can remember four stereoscopic 3D transmission formats currently in use, called frame sequential, frame packing, side-by-side, and checkerboard

You can Play Videos (avi , mp4, mkv etc) that are Side by Side or checkered and press 3D and the TV will Display this as 3D, however if you try a BluRay 3D Movie or a 3D Game it will NOT be supported on your current setup as these use frame packing or frame sequential (frame sequential is used mostly only in the PC world , especially Nvidia 3dTV play etc , BD players etc use frame packing)

In Short 4 formats :
1. Side by Side (Should work with NON 1.4 HDMI receivers )
2. Checkerboard (Should work with NON 1.4 HDMI receivers )
3. frame sequential (Needs a 1.4 HDMI receiver or the Work around i mentioned in my above post for the PC using Dual View)
4. frame packing (This is the default used in HDMI 1.4 format. Needs a 1.4 HDMI receiver or the Work around i mentioned in my above post for the PC using Dual View)
post #210 of 250 Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 AM

Hi Chet- noted your post about the 3d formats. using my the ps3-->Onkyo 875(does not pass 3d)-->samsung 550 all via hdmi setup, I played Megamind 3d bluray & it works. Am I missing something? or should I use the "if it ain't broke..." saying & continue as is.
Reply 3D Tech Talk

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page